“Worst Hotel in the Carribean”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My Partner and I stayed here from 28th August for 14 nights travelling with Thomson Holidays from the UK; I can honestly say it was the worst 2 weeks of my life. I was a bit dubious after I read the reviews about staying here but havinf read reviews from people about other hotels that had turned out just fine I decided to give it a go. On arrival the hotel looked lovely (even though we weren't given our welcome cocktail) but looks can be deceiving - as soon as we got to our room we got a taste of how things might start going wrong. Firstly, there was no latch to lock the door (seemed unimportant until the man that came to restock the fridge walked in on me lying asleep naked one afternoon), his coming in to restock the fridge daily was pointless as it didn't work so we couldn't drink the "free" drinks and since the ice maching in our building didn't work either we had to walk all the way to another building just to get ice. The room itself had coffee making facilities, but no coffee the entire time we stayed - despite asking numerous times at reception (who never ever answer the phone when you try to ring) and the "cleaner" only ever seemed to lean by moving my cosmetics and medications around!

OUr entire stay we had our bed changed 3 times, the housekeeper turned up randomly throughout the day - sometimes it was 8 o'clock in the morning other times it was 4 in the afternoon, we rarely had clean towels when we needed them - instead resorting to getting clean beach towels in order to have an afternoon shower and the fact that a random, dirty "toothbrush" was put in the glass where mine and my partner's were being kept still makes me feel sick even now. The light in our bathroom was out during our entire trip and the balcony wasn't tidied once.

If you are going to stay here don't expect beautiful beaches were you can stroll hand and hand for miles with your loved one - they are small, mostly rocky areas and where there is sand its maybe 100m stretches off it. Most of the beaches are surrounded by coral as well (especially on the Jamaica side) so you need rock shoes just be to be able to get into the water. If you want to go snorkelling remember to bring your $25 dollar deposit with you - it doesn't tell you this anywhere in the hotel room and don't plan on doing a lot of snorkelling - you can only have the equipment for 45 minutes and the best places to snorkel are at the other side of the resort.

Service in the hotel is terrible, try getting a drink from the bars around the place with alcohol in and unless you tip up front you don't stand a chance, there are no cocktail menu's anywhere in the hotel and other than pina colada, strawberry duaqiri's and miami vices (oh and the random cocktails of the day) they don't seem to have the ingredients to make any other cocktail you know.

The fod in the buffet restaurants was awful, cold, uncovered food left me shivering just looking at how unhygienic it was. Want fresh bread? I'm no sure how its fresh after every other person in the restaurant has held on to it while they cut of their slices. The indian and fish restaurants were nice but be warned - not all restaurants open every night; I certainly wasn't aware of this when I booked my holiday.

I could go on all day with complaints about this holiday but to summerise it is dirty (see attached picture of the beach - this rubbish stayed in the same spot the whole 2 weeks we were there), the staff are rude, guest services don't listen when you try to complain and the all inclusive is a joke unless you want to risk getting food poisoning. On returning to the UK we tried to complain to Thomson and asked the hotel to confirm that we had made a complaint and that the had actually tried to apologise for paying for the club Mobay at the airport for us, but unsurprisingly we have just been ignored so the disappointment still continues. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to write this review as I don't like putting others off a resort they have already booked but I don't think its fair for people to go on holiday with high expectations only to be disappointed.

I've stayed in many hotels across the carribean but this is by far the worst. How it got a 5T rating is beyond me - if i could give anyone thinking of staying here one piece of advise it is "Don't do it" There are better hotels, in better locations in Jamaica which are less expensive than this one.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank mtmc98
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Room Division Director at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear mtmc98,

We would like to thank you for taking the time in giving us your valued feedback in regards to your experience. We appreciate that you have taken the time to advise us of your opinion.
The Management and Staff at GRAND PALLADIUM Resorts are committed to satisfying our guests and we sincerely regret if the circumstances mentioned may have affected your vacation experience and your perception of our hotel.

It is hoped that despite your negative review, you will afford us another opportunity to serve you and show you our usual flawless service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours Sincerely,

Ingrid Slater
Assistant Room Division Director

There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Like other travellers, I read reviews before I left, and thought, let's see what happens! Well, Jamaica did not disappoint! Lines at check in were terribly slow - the main reason was travellers were either not given the rooms they booked - i.e. 2 queen beds requested, 1 king bed given - so the staff was busy punching around on the computer looking for rooms to fit the request, OR the rooms were not ready at 5 pm - what? Lucky for me, my room was ready, clean, just lacking toilet paper, and a safe that worked. I discovered a coffee pot, there was no coffee - however, I couldn't be bothered to ask for coffee. I immediately put in a request for maintenance and the paper and safe was repaired within hours!

No complaints from me with the food, food service, beverages, room service on the resort. I tipped my servers, bartenders and my housekeeper (got extra towels!). The workers on the resort work very hard and make very little, most are very poor!

The gift/convenience store hours are whatever it opened whenever, and closed whenever (times posted meant nothing)- poor

Bargaining for a ride to Montego Bay is suggested - those taxi drivers will squeeze every dime out of you if you don't bargain. I paid $65 for round trip, while the driver waited for us while we shopped for a couple hours - very decent price - driver originally quoted me $140!!

Jamaica is a relaxing place,the sun was hot, and the drinks were cold!

Room Tip: I booked a junior suite for the 2 of us, lots of room, very good price
3  Thank AlbertaJoyW
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear AlbertaJoyW,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your last vacation here at our Resort. We appreciate your feedback as it will better assist us to improve on those areas which you have outlined.

We are however delighted that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you were pleased with what our Resort has to offer. We welcome you to visit us in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you for this stay.

Best Wishes

Best Regards.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

just returned from a family break for 10 days from here. what a lovely place, the rooms are of a high quality and the maid service is excellent. The al la carte restaurants were really good quality and the service superb, only a small wait for some and you don't have to book or limited to the amount of times you visit. The italian was our family favourite. The sun beds in the pool are a great idea as its just too hot to sunbathe out of the water. I have a great tan. Ya Mon!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank julia p
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear julia p,

Thank you for sharing with us your review based off your wonderful vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer and that your expectations were met. We hope that in the future we will be your Resort of choice for another vacation nothing short of Grand!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I read all the reviews, and we went in with an open mind. We were there for a wedding and our bride paid extra to have the rooms blocked together. That's where the fun starts. We arrive at the resort around 1ish and when they say 3 o'clock check in, they aren't kidding. 8 of us check in together and were told our rooms would be spread out all over. The receptionist was terribly rude. We waited three hours to be assigned rooms, which of course weren't near each other. The rooms are not suites. The refrigerators are what everyone says they are, room temp at best. The buffet food wasn't awful, you do get bored of it but its fine, edible. The Asian restaurant was terrific, and a huuuuge shout out to Jason. He is an asset and helped make our trip better, good person, ask for him. The pool side bar and the pool is a great time. Big big big shout out to Ricardo tending bar at the poolside bar, not the swim up, which is good too. Ricardo is A+. The Italian restaurant is very good, I regretfully forget our server's name but she was a doll, and we loved her. All the tender's and servers are very good. We do tip, I don't want to hear that crap that its all inconclusive if someone hustles, treat them right. The hotel staff leave a lot to be desired, maintance staff can't be found, having a room cleaned is hit or miss. Other guests were complaining about thefts from their room. The rooms are all tile, and the floors seem dirty. Wear slippers or socks. No elevators at all. Lastly, everyone complaing about the restaurants is dead on. No shorts is preposterous. Not having reservations is dumb and encourages people to pay off the maitre de's. This causes problems when you've already been waiting 35 minutes, and someone walks right in an gets a table. Stay away. Also, please save me the automated response. I know you're not sorry, and no we won't give you the chance of having our business again.

Room Tip: Anything not on the first floor of 11, 12 or 13 spells trouble.
5  Thank Bud W
FiestaJamaica, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Good afternoon Bud W,

At the outset, we would like to say thank you for having stayed with us on a recent vacation. We are most appreciative of your choice.

It gives us pleasure to hear that your stay was positively enhanced by the team members of which you made mentioned. We will ensure they are aware of your appreciation. Also, to hear of the positive feedback about the cuisine. We do regret however that the stay in its entirety was not a superb one.

We have taken note of all your comments and can assure you that the necessary action will be taken to address those areas in which we may have fallen short.

We remain hopeful that you will return in the near future to witness all the improvements we will have made in all areas of the resort.

Thank you once more and our humblest apologies for any inconveniences experienced.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I've stayed at the Grand Palladium as a solo guest and with family on a different trip. I've been to Jamaica several times and stayed at various resorts and this is by far my favorite. The rooms and the property overall are gorgeous. The staff is friendly and remembered me on my return. The pool/beach staff and the bartenders were always pleasant. The buffet can get repetitive so I would recommend only eating there for breakfast and/or lunch. For dinner, you must try the different specialty restaurants. The only drawback is the Palladium mobile app. It's supposed to allow you to book reservations for the restaurants and the spa, but I never found it to be working on either of my visits.

Room Tip: If you don't like to do a lot of walking, request a room in building 11, 12 or 13, as they are c...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Reads4Pleasure
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear Reads4Pleasure,

Thank you for sharing your review based off your last vacation experience here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer, from the luxurious accommodations to the delicious meals which were had. We welcome your return in the future as it was our pleasure hosting you on your last stay. Until then, best wishes from our Palladium Family!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

My two kids (ages 7 and 10) and I stayed at this hotel for eight nights in November. Yes, it takes them awhile to check people in. Some of that is related to the fact that many are traveling as large groups and would like to room close to each other. It takes longer to maneuver that and therefore pushes everyone else to wait longer. Many also check out late morning and they have so many rooms that it takes awhile to prepare them. They offer you a welcome drink as soon as you arrive and suggest you get something to eat while they finish your check in process, so you can pass the time.

The main pool is huge and beautiful. There are two bars very close by plus the swim-up. Plenty of chairs and towels. Volleyball net, giant chess board, horseshoes, daily activities.

Wi-fi in the rooms is terrible. You have to pay for it (either hourly, by the day or by the week) but it takes forever to get on and is very unreliable. There is, however, free wi-fi in the lobby of the hotel. The rooms themselves are very spacious with large bathrooms and thick walls.

The main beach is a bit of a hike, but worth it. The only downfall to the beach is that you have to go up two flights of stairs to get to the bar. Kind of a pain when you just want to get something cold fast. They have several kayaks, paddle boards, paddle boats, a couple catamarans, and windsurfers to use for free. If you want to check out the snorkeling equipment, be sure to bring a $25 cash deposit for EACH set you want to check out. You will get your money back, but you need to have the deposit and it's a real pain to go back to your room to get it (although they will give you a ride if you want).

The restaurants: the buffets were decent. They offer some of the same staples every day along with a little diversity. Breakfast varies very little but has plenty of options along with a smoothie station where they have a selection of fresh fruit or vegetable smoothies. The sports bar is open for lunch and is also decent. For dinner, you have several ethnic options: Asian, Creole, Steak, Mexican, Italian and Indian. The Steak restaurant and the Mexican restaurant rotate sharing the same space, so you'll have to ask to see when it is which restaurant. We never made it to the Steak restaurant because the line was so long. I'm guessing that means it was good. The wait was over an hour so we went elsewhere. The Asian restaurant has good appetizers but the main courses we tried were just so-so. The Mexican food was decent, too, just a little spicy for my taste. It was also very slow the night we were there. It took over an hour to get our food. Not sure if that was something unusual or a common thing with that restaurant. The Italian was very good, as was the Indian and the Creole. It's definitely worth trying all the restaurants if you can. The Asian was our favorite for dinner and the Jerk Shack at the beach was our favorite for lunch.

The staff: They seem to bend over backwards to make you happy! Pretty much every single person we passed greeted us with a big smile. Many asked if we were doing okay and how our vacation was going. Lots of "knucks" and "Ya Mons."

What to bring:
+A cup with a top so you don't have to go back to the bar so often. The drinks they give you are very small.
+Suntan lotion - it is extremely expensive in the store ($15-$20), so don't forget yours! Pretty much everything in the store is marked up about 100% from US prices.
+A beach bag to carry all your beach stuff in.
+A bathing suit cover-up (ladies). They will not allow you in the restaurants for lunch without one.
+Shampoo - the shampoo in the rooms stinks. There is no conditioner.

All in all, a great place to stay. We'd definitely go back!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank collegemomoftwo

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We travelled to this resort the week of Nov 9-16 2013 .We were part of a wedding group. The check in was a long process it took over an hour, but some of our group had requested changes in their rooms making the process much longer for everybody, we actually only took less then 10 minutes. The resort is quite large. We were in building 16and there are about 25 buildings on this side of the property, number 18 and 19 being the farthest buildings, as 22,23,24 are in the middle. With a property this big you have to expect to do some walking. When you book your trips look at the size of the resort. All the staff at this resort are very friendly and not one of them expected a tip. We left tips for the maids everyday and also at the buffet. The property is extremely clean and neat, the pool area is quite large and their is other small adult pools on the property. We went to the affinity adult pool, where there is a warm pool with jets and the area is enclosed, no smoking or drinking and very relaxing, we enjoyed this area for a half a day, loved it. At this time of the year we had no problems getting chairs at the pool area. Our room was a junior suite and was clean and neat and the fridge was stocked everyday. We ate at the two different buffets everyday. Our group tried the ala carte and the wait for you meal from start to finish was 2 hours, so we didn't bother to do to them at all. The buffet food was good with lots of variety. The beach area is long and narrow and rocky. Parts of the beach area closer to the lady Hamilton had a lot more sand. Yes we wore water shoes in the water as there is lots of rocks in certain areas, if you like a good beach this resort is not for you. With being at this resort you are allowed to go to the lady Hamilton side, they have what I call an average beach area with sand not rocks, very compact, we spent about half a day there, the bar and buffet are close by. This beach was quite a hike from our room, one end of the resort to the other end of the lady Hamilton, so we only went their once. The wedding was on the lady Hamilton side of the resort and all the wedding party and guests were picked up by carts and taken to the gazebo and then back. The wedding area was set up quite nicely for the ceremony and the dj was a little late(20 minutes) but otherwise all went well. The reception was set up at the buffet near sunset cove. The tables were not set up well for 21 people, the table were arranged like the letter "T" the bride and groom at the top, it was really hard to hear every thing if you were at the end, a square formation would of been better. The meal was good, but slow and they needed more help to serve and clear. If I were a bride I would have name tags for each place at the table and a knowledge of your guests with food allergies so the staff are informed of this. We hired our own bus and did an excursion to the market, and ricks café and stopped at the local Harley Davidson dealer. The market was very over whelming as they all want you to come to their little shop and they all have the same stuff, need more variety. Ricks café was well worth it, about 45 minute trip. A couple days later we took a cab(cab outside of resort a lot cheaper than the ones inside) and went to Montego Bay and stopped at some road side markets. The best thing about the resort was how clean everything was, and the worst was seeing the garbage people were throwing along the cliffs out side our rooms(this area was not very accessible, swim at your own risk, not any beach area and water shoes a must if you want to explore, they actually don't like you going down their as the rocks are very sharp, found a man made path, went any ways). When we were leaving all our group luggage was together waiting for the bus to pick up, and one of our group bag went missing, could not find it, I don't think some one took it on purpose, but never the less it was missing and not found as of yet. We were all suppose to go on one bus, the driver had a list of our names and was not checking it off ,so other guests were getting on our bus so we couldn't all ride together. I would not go back to this resort only because of the lack of a nice beach area.

Room Tip: if you have elderly people in your group request buildings 11,12,13 close to all the amenities.
4  Thank earrll
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear earll,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!