“Spending Christmas at the Grand Palladium” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Atlanta, Georgia
“Spending Christmas at the Grand Palladium”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Grand Palladium Resort.
Thing we liked:
The grounds are beautiful
The food was excellent at the following places Bubba's and Xiamcia...I would skip the Jerk Hut, Pisodeon, and the Indian resturant all together.

My step son loved the sports bar area and spent qite a bit of time shooting pool and watching football. There are also basketball and tennis courts and minature golf.

The kids club and playground. Kids 3 and over can spend the day at the kids club doing projects and playing with peers. The staff will even feed them lunch and snacks if you need a break. We borrowed a stroller car to use during our stay and it was so cute and our daughter loved it.
The drinks are good
The beach activities are fun
The staff is helpful for the most part

What we didn't like:
The evening entertainment was hit or miss most nights.

If you are looking for white sandy beaches and clear water this is not the place for you. The Gran Palladuim is located along a rocky coastline. The rocks and cliffs are beaufiful but we didn't enjoy the beach until we took the tour to Negril. If you want beach ...stay in Negril or Montego Bay.

Most of the food was just ok and the places we enjoyed were only opend once during our five night stay.

Our room had ants and the decor was just average

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank suggstravelllc
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

It would be our pleasure to host you again and offer you our usual warm hospitality.

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,758)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Port Charlotte, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

After reading mixed reviews, I decided to keep an open mind and booked this Jamaican vacation. My husband and I traveled with another couple on this trip. We flew from Orlando on Jet Blue to Jamaica. The plane was on time and we do recommend this airline for travelers. There was plenty of leg room, the seats were comfortable, and we were provided with complimentary snack and drink during our 2 hour flight. We arrived on time at Sangster International Airport in Jamaica.

Complaint # 1: Our ground transportation to our resort took 2 hours to leave the airport. They were waiting on another plane to show up. It was more important for them to fill all their seats in the van than to ensure we had a good start to our vacation. They finally took us once we complained loudly enough!

Complaint # 2: Once we checked in the Grand Palladium lobby at 2:30 pm (this didn’t take long), we had to wait another ½ hour before our rooms were ready. Be sure to ask for a map of the grounds and stay in a Villa close to the resort lobby area/restaurants. We stayed in Villa 14 and 15 on Oceanside…which had a great view. I would recommend Villas 11-16 which are within “walking distance”. This I will cover later. We had a golf cart take us to our Villa around 3:30 pm. Our friends came back from their room because the room was ‘under construction’ with painters. We arrived in our room to find a very warm temperature. Our friends re-located to another room only to find wet paint on their walls! After complaining to the front desk, they were paid off with 4 free lobster dinners. The first day of travel left us tired so we ate at the Mo Bay buffet, walked around, and then went back to our rooms.

Complaint # 3: We were in a suite which needed updating! There was little AC and in Jamaica the humidity is very high even in October! There was mold in the rooms which was evident from the lack of adequate air conditioning. Our friends had no working AC. We called the front desk 3 times before a maintenance worker showed up at 11:00 am. We were told the AC system is water cooled so it takes ‘longer’ for the room to cool down. (The Lady Hamilton side of the resort had the same set up). This is not real AC, because the humidity stays in the room. Our AC and our friends’ AC never worked the whole week we were there. Bathing suits, towels do not dry! We had to close our bedroom door from the living area the whole time to contain the cooler air. This sort of worked except our sleep was constantly interrupted by the humidity! This is not real air conditioning! In other words, the AC is NOT refrigerated air!! The first 24-48 hours of our vacation was spent resolving the problems with our rooms…which remained issues throughout our stay. Our friends, however, had a problem with ants in their bathroom throughout their 1 week stay! After many complaints, none of our problems was resolved.

Complaint # 4: Our ice machine never worked in our villa…so we had to walk to another villa in order to get our ice. We called the front desk about it, but no resolution to this problem. Pillows and bed must have been filled with concrete. It was very difficult to sleep at night!!

Complaint # 5: This resort is located in Lucea, Montego Bay which is 40 to 45 minutes away from everything including shopping, golfing, sightseeing. The dolphin encounter is closeby if you want to pay about $150 for this excursion. Roundtrip transportation for golf is $120.00! The cost to play a round averages around $250…that includes green fees, cart, and the mandatory caddy. Expect to pay $350-$400 for 1 round of golf. I recommend staying at a resort that has a golf course nearby such as RIU, Rose Hall, etc.

Complaint # 6: We were told golf clubs cost $40 extra to check in on Jet Blue. Little did we know the golf clubs cost $40 EACH WAY…a total of $80.00. Had we known this little tidbit, we would have never taken the golf clubs in the first place…it is cheaper to rent them at the golf course!

Complaint # 7: Upon check-in, we wanted a villa closer to the resort amenities (e.g. restaurants), but the closest we could get was villa 14 and 15. The resort boasts how they have golf cart shuttles, but you have to walk to the lobby to get one…and if you call for one, they may not show up. We are in our 50’s and 60’s and spent most of our time walking and climbing stairs. This resort is so spread out, no matter where you stay, you will end up walking a lot to pools, restaurants, beach, etc.

BOTTOM LINE: We liked Jamaica…the people were very nice and friendly. The island itself is very beautiful. The Grand Palladium had nice pools and beach. The food was average - except at the Mexican restaurant in which the food was terrible. If you are hungry past 10:30 pm you are out of luck. There is no room service. The sports bar had sandwiches but the place was so hot and humid, you could not stay there. The nightly entertainment was average. We enjoyed Rick’s Café and the cliff divers and our shopping tour in Montego Bay. If we were to return to Jamaica, we would stay at Sandals or RUI or Half Moon resorts.

Room Tip: Ask for a map at check in. Stay at a villa close to the resort lobby!!
2 Thank jetbiker
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management and staff, thank you for taking the time to let us know how your vacation was spent with us. Thank you for highlighting the high and low points of your stay, we will forward them to the respective departments. We appreciate feedback of this nature as it allows us to assess key areas for our guests and see how best we can make the applicable improvements to them.

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager
Beans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I am very picky as to where I go and what kind of food I choose to eat but this hotel the palladium has a large selection of restaurants as well as theme nights for their buffet dinners my favourite night is Jamaica night which is Friday nights only. If your a breakfast person like I am you need to hit up the omelet station to your far left there's a lady there my the name of Dulsie she treated me very well she knew what I like and always saved a plate for me if I was a little late if there's any management that reads these comments Dulsie is my grill lady she's the best!! very friendly loves to chat knows what you want even before you open your mouth and for me the plantain man she knows that my day doesn't start unless I have a plate of plantain sitting in front of me. Dulsie is a wonderful employee I will be making another trip down in April and I'm bringing about 8-9 people with me. It will be their first time to MBJ I told them the palladium is the way to go. Now let's talk about the other stuff. Rooms nice and big bathroom big as well gets cleaned on a daily. staff friendly lots of security resort is massive but the have carts to drive you around spa love it nightly entertainment is awesome bartenders friendly. The only thing that I found annoying was the sports bar service was terrible took forever to take your order staff felt that it was a chore to wait on us my kids were hungry and it took them forever to serve us. But other then that great resort. Pools I would rate a 4 beaches a 4 service a 4 all in all 1 had a great time

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Plantainman
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Just got home (scotland) from this hotel/trip and want to do this review while its still fresh in my mind! Stayed 7 nights had no problem checking in or with the room its was lovely. I really enjoyed my stay at the GP however I wouldn'nt say it were a 5 star I would give it more of a 4 star rating!

PRO's
Size of the pool
Cleanliness of rooms
Food choice
Vegas Bar
Amount of sun loungers
The SPA
The Shops in the vicinity
My partner absaloutly LOVED the jerk chicken hut.

Con's

The Bar guy at the bar beside the volleyball net, (older kinda guy) was thee rudest most unpleasant man I have come to meet in a long time. Everytime I went up he was rude but yet I caught him being Extra friendly with some older American guys one of the times I went up so he was either sexist or racist towards the british whatever his issue was, it was so uncomfortable that i just started to use another bar that was further away so that I didn't have to suffer him.

The pool is pretty filthy alot of the time, full of dead insects, cups and alcohol.

The reps are too over the top, for example it will be 10 in the morning and they are bugging you to stop reading and go get drunk?! Sorry no I am trying to relax on my vacation. And a couple of times they deliberately woke me up when i was napping on my sun lounger which is extremely irritating! However some of them were really friendly and they have good intensions.

There are wasps ALL OVER THE DRINKS dispensers really its hard to pour yourself a cup of juice from the bars outside on the dispensers when there are 6 wasps surrounding you, I ended up having to ask for the bar folk to just give me juice from the tap cause i really hate wasps.

The evening entertainment was in a word.... Crap.

The air con is rubbish!!!! It has the same power as a hairdryer.

Why is there no drink menus? So many people were ordering these amazing looking drinks but how the on earth did they know they could have them, i didnt see one the whole holiday.

Some of the staff kept offering us "something better" "something stonger" "ganja" which is irritating ssince me and my boyfriend both hate drugs.

One last con there is an adult pool close to villas 13&14 where we went to sunbathe for the day instead of the main one, and the lifeguard is RIDICULOUS, no word of a lie, he was singing (so badly) at the top of his lungs for the first 2 hours in the morning, it was irritating everyone and it was the same 2 songs again and again, i could have sworn he was high - which isnt great for a lifeguard to be honest.

I would come back again even though I have listed a few cons as i would know what to do differently now or what to avoid. I wouldn't consider my self that fussy but somethings did annoy, all in all though, I had a very happy trip, Thomson are a good opertor to travel to this holiday on I would fuly recommend them!

1 Thank kimbooooo
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Room Division Director at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Kim,

Thank you for taking the time to share your informative review. I am glad to read about all the wonderful experiences you had during your stay, your positive comments are greatly appreciated. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed our massive “pool”, the largest on the island,
“Cleanliness of rooms” –truly five star quality
“Food choice”- With 2 buffets offering different theme nights daily, 7 a ala carte restaurants, so happy you enjoyed them
“Vegas Bar”- one of our 14 bars that can be found throughout the complex
“Amount of sun loungers”-we always endeavor to meet if not exceed our guests expectation
“The SPA”-one word luxurious
"The Shops in the vicinity"-very convenient
"The place to book your trips in the hotel is really good the girls were very helpful and weren't pushy in the slightest."-Customer service is very important to us
"My partner absolutely LOVED the jerk chicken hut."-simply delicious!

As it relates to the number of “con’s” you have identified, We would like to apologize for these inconveniences that you have experienced during your stay. At the same time, you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

It is a pleasure to have had the opportunity of hosting you. We look forward to seeing you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any upcoming visit to Palladium...

Ingrid Slater
Assistant Room Division Director
Berry, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Amazing week of fun and relaxation. Was a little concerned about so many bad reviews after making reservation, but had nothing to be concerned about. We arrived late in the day because flight didn't land until dark, about 6 p.m. Large bus was waiting right on schedule to transport us to the resort. Everything was right on schedule & Vacation Express people were right there to make sure we were headed in the right direction! We lucked out & our resort was the first stop..about 30-40 minutes. Drive seemed a little hairy, but was dark so we really couldn't see. Check-in was flawless, and in fact we were up- graded from Grand a Palladium to the Lady Hamilton side without even asking! We decided then to ask about ocean view & got it for extra $10/night. It was side view of Sunset Cove, but very nice...3329. The resort is huge but just what we like, lots to explore. We had been to regular beaches before, so the rocky ones. Were just that much more to explore. We went to them all several times and spent very little time in the room, although it was very nice & roomy! Frig was always restocked room kept immaculate. Left tip for maid about every other day & if wanted something, just left note! Took $100 in $1's & tipped as I felt led to do so. Food was very good, not all waiters/waitresses were top notch, but most were. We're not impressed with Poisidon at Sunset Cove. Being off-season, not all restaurants twere open every day, but we spaced them out & tried all but Mexican & all were good. Italian & steakhouse were favorites. There was no way anyone needs to be hungry. The jerk chicken hut was really good and we loved Miss Lou's coffee shop, just around the corner from the infinity bar. The coffee is amazing & you can get small sandwiches (tuna salad is excellent) and incredible little pastries. Was not impressed with Sports Bar food, but it was not horrible. I did a lot of research of others reviews & wanted to make sure we did not miss anything and we didn't! The hydrotherapy area at the spa is wonderful...try all the pools & spa is beautiful at night! We didn't get up early, but went to breakfast buffet (excellent).. Then walked to new area every day and spent time on every beach. We stayed out until after sunset, showered & dressed for dinner, then up to infinity bar to listen to live music & watch dancing every night. We were not impressed with the nightly shows. We took one day to go touring and would highly recommend the private cab service upstairs on right in lobby. Had some questions about this, but saw several reviews recommending them and asked about credibility with hotel staff & "no problem"..lol. We had one in one service in private van and could go wherever we wanted for less money than a tour with many others only one place. Driver took us on small road thru the mountains and over to Negril, explained everything, answered MANY questions and stayed with us for 7 hours, it was a great experience and I highly recommend them! I've tried to cover many of the things that helped me be prepared to fully enjoy the resort. Met up with people that had even been there before and didn't know about Miss Lou's or the green hydrotherapy area at the spa. It's best to be knowledgeable before you get there to save the time it takes to look for things. Both sides of the resort were great and we loved the walking, so it wouldn't have mattered if we weren't upgraded to Lady Hamilton side but we did notice that it was quieter and not as many people over there. If you are staying on Jamaica side, would recommend villas 11-15, upper level for ocean view. To sum it up, we had a wonderful time at this resort and don't understand how anyone could complain. The workers just want respect and a kind smile and greeting will reward you with a warm return of the same! As I said, I did some tipping, but saw no difference in service regardless. Just go enjoy and don't stress over the small things and you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AnnaBerry_Kentucky
Dear AnnaBerry_Kentucky,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had.

As a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important that our guests have a grand vacation and it is great knowing that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future for another vacation nothing short of Grand!
Winter Haven, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

was a nightmare....Beware. Our room 1518 Jamaica. The bathroom had ANTS in it all the time...Every morning I would call the front desk and ask them to spray for ants. The maid would come and clean the room and the ants would be right back. We could not keep any of our cosmetic bags, tooth brushes or towels near or on the counter as they would be full of ants in the morning. Also, this hotel has NO air conditioning....It is air cooled which leaves everything in the room damp and it most of the time it was cooler outside than it was inside. So very tough to sleep. And the first day we got to the hotel they gave us a room...when we walked into it there was a maintenance man scraping paint and re-painting....so we go back to the front desk and they give us another room which was room 1518. When we checked into it....it had wet paint on the bathroom wall and paint drips all over the bathroom floor. I cleaned up the paint drippings and called the front desk...A maintenance man came and looked at the room and say "yep...that is wet paint". Good thing we did not get paint on our clothes...They did not seem to care. And to top it off we paid $70.00 extra to get a room with the ocean view...but had to put up with bugs, wet clothes and wet bed from the dampness. Also...be prepared to walk everywhere...bring good walking shoes as it is a ways to get to the water sports and the buffet. I suggest you bring a thermos for your drinks so they stay cold. Also the soda (coke, diet coke, sprite) has no carbonation so any time you order a soda it is FLAT. Food was OK but not great. We ate at the Mexican restaurant and afterwards went to the buffet because we could not (it was terrible) eat our dinner at the Mexican restaurant. Bubba's steak house was great and so was the Italian restaurant. Men...be sure to bring long pants because you can not dine in the restaurants without long pants on. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

2 Thank Holly K
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Room Division Director at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your informative review. We were disappointed to learn that your recent stay with us was below par, we want to stress that this is not the typical experience of our guests. Please be assured that we are taking immediate steps to look at the issues you have described with your room and issues with food and beverage.

Regarding your comment “this hotel has NO air conditioning”, our air conditioning supply to the guests’ rooms are usually sufficient enough to cool the room with a maximum of four adults. Any variations in temperature were usually attributed to doors been left open or keys being removed from the slot which keeps the in-room electricity going. As it relates to this particular case however, we have taken due notice and are delighted to inform you that the necessary steps have been taken to address the matter in a timely manner.

In reference to “had to put up with bugs” We do have a thorough, eco friendly extermination program. If you have brought food or other insect attracting items in your room, you may see an excess of ants or other benevolent, indigenous to the tropics. We apologize, if that had such a negative impact on your stay.

We regret to hear your dissatisfaction with the sodas; we will include your concerns in our briefings in an effort to continuously improve our service and product.

We regret to hear about your dissatisfaction with the food as we try to fulfill the expectations of several nationalities with 3 buffets offering international theme nights and 7 a la carte with different specialties.

It is hoped that despite your negative review, you will afford us another opportunity to serve you and show you our usual flawless service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ingrid Slater
Assistant Room Division Director
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just got back last night from a 7 night group trip. Great resort for the $$$. The pool is great!!! Food was good restaurants were VERY HOT my main complaint. The people in the gift shop were RUDE. Other than that it was a great trip. Look for the bartender Martin and the waitress Jean in the upstairs bar. They are awesome. I would defiantly go back. It's not as nice as sandals but no where near as expensive. Great trip for the $$$

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Andy N,

Thank you for sharing with us your review based off your wonderful vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer and that your expectations were met. We hope that in the future we will be your Resort of choice for another vacation nothing short of Grand!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,783 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!