“Second visit - improvements to almost everything”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Swansea, UK
“Second visit - improvements to almost everything”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife & I stayed at this hotel back in 2010, and a had a few gripes about the staff attitudes in general, however we were still prepared to return to this hotel for our second visit to this gorgeous island.
The hotel management have obviously worked hard on the staff side of things; every member of staff would smile & speak to you. We`ve had a wonderful 2 weeks there, and wouldn`t hesitate to recommend the hotel, or return again at a moments notice.
We were given room 1525 ( top floor corner of block 15 - sea side). The view from this room was breathtaking. We had the sea approx 4 metres away, and a spectacular view of the sunset, straight off our balcony ( must also say the sunrise is awesome from here, too).
The room was kept clean; the bar restocked daily. I will say that I didn`t particularly like the fact that the maid for our room ( Cheryl) would leave a wooden dish on the bed on the days SHE thought a tip was due - but that isn`t a complaint, merely an observation.
We did have an issue with the shower in the room - it couldn`t be fixed whilst it was occupied, so they offered to move us - but, to be honest, the benefits of the room outweighed the shower issue, and I didn`t want the hassle of moving everything to another room.
We generally don`t get involved in the daytime animation; preferring to head over to "sunset cove", and alternate sea-time with sunbed time :) - but I have to mention "Pudgy" & "Foxxi" from the animation team - absolute stars.
The staff at the Posiedon bar ( above sunset cove) were also excellent - good drinks ( we`ll come back to that), and excellent food at lunchtime. Stand-out staff were "Simone" and "Marvin" at the bar; and "Neval" in the restaurant - thank you guys.
Most evenings were up at the Infinity bar for a while ( not usually late, as we tended to be up early to watch the sunrise). The entertainment was varied, from the "Steels" ( definitely worth seeing), to a group of older guys doing jazz versions of popular songs ( I initially thought they were a comedy band, and couldn`t stop laughing,,,oops my bad). "Jean" in the bar was brilliant at keeping the drinks sorted for us - even when we couldn`t decide what to have. If we were up there in the day, "Gillian" was good - what a happy person.
So - before we do food, lets "do" drinks. I did find that drinks I had in the Poseidon bar tasted nothing like the "same" drink in the infinity bar - the Poseidon ones were ALWAYS better, to the point where a couple of the drinks we had in the infinity couldn`t be finished, because they didn`t taste very nice - but I think that may be down to individual taste.
Food:
We`re not adventurous eaters - very boring & plain - so we didn`t eat at any of the "speciality" restaurants. Our breakfasts and evening meals were invariably in the buffet.
Breakfast: I cannot envisage anyone having any complaints. Lots of choices, including cereals, porridge, fruit, yoghurt, and everything you might want fried or cooked. The coffee isn`t, in my opinion, very palatable - I started taking a sachet of Nescafe in, and making my own instant at the table.
Evening meal: I would have to advise arriving at the buffet as it opens ( same for all mealtimes), as it seems to go a little shambolic after the first hour or so. There are a lot of staff around; most of whom don`t appear to be doing very much. The food was ok; typical buffet fare. Stand-out staff in the restaurant were "Taniesha" and "Lateisha".
Trips:
We booked a trip with "Caribic" ( below reception, next to jewelers) - a full day out to ( we thought) YS falls and the appleton rum factory. Our Aircon Minibus only had 4 of us, plus driver ("Bush" & guide ( "Georgia" ). We had a very good day, doing the Black river cruise ( with included lunch), YS and Appleton (hic). Big thanks to Georgia for the day - such a knowledgeable woman, sharing not only the typical "tour guide" info, but her own. personal thoughts too. The trip went without any issues; and was a very good price ( one of the few shops in the resort you could say that about.)
General:
The shops need a kick up the bum, they`re expensive and not particularly welcoming. In contrast to the rest of the hotel. If you`re thinking about going to this hotel - I can`t envisage anything which should put you off - you`re getting a lot of holiday for your money.

1 Thank kmelectric
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,855)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Rochester, New York
Reviewed October 12, 2013

First I want to say we had a great time! Jamaican's are so very nice.

day one: we arrived at the resort (witch is the biggest on the island) around 2:30. we were slightly early for check in. we were greeted with a rum punch and they directed us to the buffet for lunch. we met an awesome waitress, Nicole! we asked for her from day three on for all our breakfasts. we went to our room after lunch, it smelled horrible!!!! and it kept getting worse!! the maid checked in with us after we were in our room a few minuets to introduce herself. she was wonderful!! the room was very clean, but the air conditioner smelled nasty!! they were very helpful about trying to fix it for us. (note: the rooms do not have air on unless you leave your room key in the slot and they do not go lower than 75* witch in my opinion is the reason the rooms smell musty. it is very humid there and nothing dry's)

after about a half hr, they switched us to another building with an upgrade to ocean view. awesome!!
we ate at the buffet for every breakfast and some lunches. there was a wide variety of foods. something for everyone. if you cant find any food to your liking....the problem lies with you! I also observed on several occasions the staff checking the temp of all the foods and keeping track. we ate at the fish restaurant for lunch witch was good and one time for dinner, witch was awesome! really good stuffed chicken.
we ate at the Jamaican restaurant twice and had Elmo as our waiter. we met Elmo the first night at the bar. he set us up at his restaurant twice with a beautiful table and help set up one at the Italian restaurant one night. he was worth the stay alone! we tried the curried goat, the chicken jerk, and the jerk steak. all were great. the curried goat and the jerk potato salad were both spicy and delicious. the steak was better than at the steak house. Italian, Mexican, and steak were good.....not great but very good. great service.
All the bars were great and they all made strong drinks.
the pools, pool area, bathrooms, and rooms were all very clean.

Keep in mind: nothing dries...so bring a few bathing suites. men need long pants and short sleeve shirts for formal dinners but you can wear sandals or flip flops. the maids are in and out of your room most of the day, so lock up your stuff every time you leave(we did not have any problems). there are no elevators and you walk a lot(we did not mind this at all). bring lots of sun block.

keep in mind: it is a very hot and humid place, no one moves fast! and from a new Yorker, it took me a little bit to remember that. lol Also, if you get asked to attend a welcome meeting, ATTEND IT. it is not a time share, there are no maintenance fee's and we received a $300 gift card to the spa just for attending!!! well worth it!!

over all: fantastic time!! highly recommend but you make it what you will!

Room Tip: we stayed in 2616 on the lady Hamilton side, loved it! close to everything. between the loby and the...
1 Thank jadezilla1998
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed October 10, 2013

the grand palladium is huge so its a lot of walkin or they have go charts that can pick you up they take a long time to come so you be better off walkin, ,the room are nice and nice size bath room and the food is ok.would i go back yes i would but i think i me and my husband next time .[couples we have a great time]

Room Tip: 1735 you can see sunset from the bed
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Tanika F,

Thank you for sharing with us your review based off your wonderful vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer and that your expectations were met. We welcome your return in the future as it was our pleasure hosting you on your last stay. Until then, best wishes from our Palladium Family!
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Just a quick note on why you should stay here, my party had a great time with little to no issues, this was my 1st stay but would definitely come back, the place is beautiful and the first night we had the bonfire party ( great time) got back to my nice room and the next morning we ate at the buffet which has plenty to choose from but was a bit light on Jamaican cuisine but the menu changes for each meal so you'll get some of everything eventually ( except real Jamaican beverages) anyway the pools were nice, the beach was good the entertainers were great (the late night party with the band with the female lead was exceptional. Go enjoy yourself , I did.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank WarrenTraveler
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear WarrenTraveler,

Thank you for sharing with us your review based off your wonderful vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer and that your expectations were met. We hope that in the future we will be your Resort of choice for another vacation nothing short of Grand!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 9, 2013

So,I'm guessing youre probably like me,by now youve become Trip Advisor obsessed just to make sure youre making/or made the right decision about going to this resort,right? Probably thinking am I getting the right deal for your money right? somewhere damn near perfect for the investment youre about to make...
Well,my gorlfriend and I just got back to BWI airport and I couldnt wait to get back and write this review.So how can I articulate this so you that you get a full spectrum of this desciption?I will start from the beginning. In a nut shell I was married for 12 years and my wife and I traveled every year to some of the best all inclusive resorts in the world so my expectations were very high. Since our divorce 4 years I hadnt traveled anywhere and i wanted my girlfriend to experience a really great resort and all it's splendor.I became a Trip Advisor junkie and im talking at least 20 times a day for a month every day up until Oct 4,2013.

Long story short I even lost 300 dollars in travelor insurance because I changed my mind 2 times with Roeder Travel (Sherrie) of Baltimore,who was absolutely wonderful.I switched back and forth between Jamaica and Dominica Republic because I had read so many bad reviews on DR's food and service. Well,with the help of Sherrie from Apple Vacations I decided to go with Grand Palladium. After checking for new reviews daily I became very concerned that maybe I made the wrong decision which would ruin my girlfriends first trip to Jamaica.Then i did some research and found out that other resorts pay people to write bad reviews on their competition.

Long story short,i went with my gut and went to Grand Palladium. We arrived at the airport,Apple Vacations were waiting with their red flowered shirts.They escorted us to our bus but then gave us an option to have a drink at this wonderful Jamaican bar hut at the airport.Got on air conditioned bus and drove maybe 40 minutes to airport but the view was breath taking going up the mini mountains. Arrived at hotel and was impressed the minute we stepped off the bus. Smiles and hello Mon welcome to Jamaica was everywhere. Then we were given a chilled glass of rum punch. At this point im thinking the Travel Gods must be showing us favor because so far this is wonderful. Mind you,after reading the reviews I went with the mind set that I would look for anything wrong or out of place.
Like i said earlier i've traveled to some great resorts such as Secrets,Sandals,Half Moon, and Excellence so i am very familiar with the architecture and design of many resorts. Sure if you looked carefully you might find a few things like chipped paint here or (ONE) nasty attitude staffer there but for the investment,this place was paradise.
The design and architecture reminds you of an old plantation with mini mansions.Very rich looking and more importanly i felt like I was in Jamaica while there and not some big hotel chain on the beach.Ok,this is getting to long so let me sum it all up but there is so much i could tell you.

Room: Went to front desk and told staff that I was their for my second year anniversary and I got an upgrade,just like that,very simple. Room was in building 1300 beach front away from bars but close to everything still. Our room walked right out to this beautiful cove and private beach.Nothing negative that I read was in our room. I didnt have not one complaint. Plus,they do not charge to use safe and the air condition was great. They were right about the mini bar not getting cold enough but they have ice machines in every building eventhough that too didnt work. Other than that ,no complaints.

Service: Wonderful except mean cashier lady at gift shop.Hey mon,yes mon,goodmorning especially in restaurants and buffet.
Food:Delicious at all the restaurants except the sea food place.Could improve on that a bit
Buffets had something for everyone. I am very picky but whatever you wanted loke fresh grilled steak and chicken with your lunch they would do it.Carribean restaurant was Incredible,fried snapper,coconut fried shrimp,jerk or curry chicken,ummmmm.
Pools: Incredible,huge overlooking the beach at sun set is breath taking.
Beaches: Im not a all day beach guy so the three beaches were great for us.Do bring beach shoes for 2nd beach it is very rocky but third beach is great.
Weather: Im convinced that first week in October is the best time if youre looking for a more quiet,relaxing,romantic vacation. Barely no kids there.

We met a nice cab driver name Quarrey and Peach. They will take you anywhere you wanna go for a lower rate than anyone else.We went to Negril and Ricks cafe it was great.

Drugs: Sure there are guys selling weed but they dont harrass you at all unless you look like you smkoe the ghangi mon..lol i guess weed smokers recognize eed smokers i hear..lol

Entertainment: was just ok. Maybe because im a entertainer i wasnt impressed but neither was my girlfriend. We would just take a romantic walk instead.
I hope my review helped you.Im just a regular guy that didnt have Sandals money this time but still wanted luxory and Grand Palladium didnt dissappoint. Plus i tipped all four nights. Took maybe 75 dollars in one dollar bills and still hade 25 dollars left over.

Thank you Sherrie at Roeder Travel and Grand Palladium. Our stay was truly Grand.

Room Tip: Tell them youre about to get married or celebrating a birthday,anniversary and they may upgrade you...
25 Thank MrVacation2014
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear MrVacation2014,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had.

As a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important that our guests have a grand vacation and it is great knowing that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future for another vacation nothing short of Grand!
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from Jamaica. When we arrived of course our rooms were not ready. It took about 3/4 hours hater we arrived to get a room. 30 mins after we got there at the buffet hot water jumped on my arm out of this dish that was keeping food warm. I screamed. No one came to see what happened the staff all just stood there. One of the people in my group was the one that attested to me. Finally as I was trying to break the ice where the fruit was to put on my arm one of the cooks came over. He finally showed me where the nurse office was. When she finally arrive to see me she told me that it would cost me $30 for her to assess me. After I gave her a look she said that if it was the hotel fault then I wouldn't have to pay. So I didn't pay for my treatment which was some cooling ointment she gave me that only lasted for 10 mins. No one from this hotel management EVER came to make sure I was ok. If it wasn't for the people in my group knowing what to do I would have had bluster on my arm. That was the first thing. After dealing with that now we had to deal with this smell If mildew and mold in our room. On the bed and pillows. It wAs mildew or and mold in the bathroom they tries to paint over it but the didn't cover it. My husband is sick from the smell and sleeping on it. It's really a beautiful place to bad it's toxic.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Hairgirl72
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! I am very sorry to know that you had some inconveniences during your vacations in GP Jamaica.

For your information our check in time is after 03.00 pm sorry if you had your room after this time.

About the incident with the hot water on the arm, unfortunately some situations are beyond our control. As you commented in your review we did our best addressing the situation sending you to the nurse and taking care of the medical expenses. We do apologize for the inconveniences that it could cause you.

Regarding the mildew in your room, unfortunately in a tropical weather it can happen that a room not being assigned for some days can have this problem. In this case, we encourage guests with issues or complaints to make them known to our Public Relations Manager or Front Office Manager, in order for us to immediately address the situation. We are sorry for that experience with your room.

We look forward to having you again in any of the Palladium Resorts and that we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Best regards

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager
Gatwick
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Just returned, had a really good time. Staff were lovely, loved the beach at Sunset Cove and all the team at the bar, restaurant and Jerk hut there. Foxy & Pudgy became special friends to our family! Beautiful flowers even in the rest rooms there!
Waiting staff and bar staff everywhere were mostly very good, and we loved the nightly music in the shows and the Infinity Bar!
The food was really good both in the buffet & the a la carte restaurants. Enjoyed walking around the resort? It is big but we needed to burn off calories, as there was so much to enjoy both food and drink! Nice to tip to show appreciation but no one expected it, so it was always a pleasure.
Comfortable beds, and pillows. Air conditioning was quiet and better than in other places we have stayed!

Room Tip: We were in 17, With a lovely sea view, a quiet part of resort, but only a gentle stroll from the cen...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 756SallyM
Dear 756SallyM,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!