“Vacationer Beware” 2 of 5 stars

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
“Vacationer Beware”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Extremely disappointed in this '5-Star Resort'. Check-in process was tedious. More paperwork than necessary. Room location / condition horrible. Shower flooded bathroom floor daily because of showerhead position. Once we got it set to where it would not flood while operating the maids would set it back in its original position. Frustrating to say the least. If I wanted an ocean-view room I could get one...for $30 extra per night. Mini-bars consisted of 1 bottle of Coke, Coke Light, Sprite, 2 bottled waters and 2 Red Stripes per day...all WARM. Fridge never cooled our entire stay. Wi-fi connection horrible and if you want it in your room, you pay $20/day or $70/week. Ridiculous for a supposed 5-star resort. Wi-fi was free in the lobby and only really worked if you stood directly in front of the check-in desk. Wait staff never seemed all that interested in truly serving the guests. I've never been told 'no' more than at this 'all-inclusive' place. Decaf coffee? 'I don't think we have that.' Could you leave a water pitcher on the table for us to refill our glasses? 'no, we can't do that.' I'd like 2 beach towels please. 'no, only 1 towel per card'. Drinks are served in small, plastic glasses. May I please have 2 drinks? 'no, I can't do that'. I could go on and on, but you get my drift. The last day we were there our room was not serviced. When questioned, the maid in the hallway informed us that it was one of the other maids day off. The food was horrible...I dont even know where to begin...staff would do more for tips and they soon began expecting more more more $ to do less. Crappy tap water was served in the buffets and bars. I grew tired of spending $2/bottle for water at the lobby store every day. Best food we had was the jerk chicken and paella at the Jerk Shack at Sunset Cove beach. After 4 days at this place, I was so ready to go home...and I am a beach / sun / water junkie. If you've never been anywhere, you will think this place is awesome. For the rest of you, you've been warned. I would much rather spend a bit more $ for a Sandals facility (where I have heard you are never told no) to get exceptional service and amenities. Never again for the 'Grand' Palladium.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Karen P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,627)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I planned a celebration Aug 2nd thru Aug 6th. I wanted a 5 star resort so I started the process of picking a hotel. I researched several different resorts. I needed a place that could accommodate a big party, an all inclusive resort that had meals & activities included and most importantly a place that was reasonably priced.

We had over 50 people coming to Jamaica which was equivalent to about 21 rooms.
I called The Grand Palladium the day of the trip to ensure all was taken care of because I didn't want any of my guests to have any issues. My guests was flying in from FL, NY,GA & MD.

My guests started arriving Friday Aug 2nd and immediately started having problems. Please see the numerous issues we had upon arrival and during our stay.
-Not able to accommodate guests in same blg's. ( all guests were spread out throughout all the buildings (17- 24) ).
- no double occupancy available only single beds. (so strangers had to sleep together)
- no rooms available ( they were turned away for an hour or more until someone checked out for them to get a room.)
- limited room keys & towel keys available so each room was just given one key even if 2 or more guests shared a room.
-guests were sent to the lady Hamilton location due to no availability on Jamaican side

Once we did get rooms the service was terrible. Keys didn't work, not enough towels & rags, no TV's in
the rooms. Air conditioning not working, rooms were either too cold or extremely hot. No power in bldg.
When we called for service it was either too slow or didn't get any service. My room ceiling was coming apart. I advised an employee & he stated someone would come to our room to see about it or move me that never happened. My guests were moved back & forth from room to rooms. It felt like all the complaints were just on deaf ears.

On my exit On Tuesday Aug 6th I left an extensive complaint to the acting hotel manager Gordon. Who I found out later was the security. He advised me that a manager would call me. I never received a call. I tried calling grand palladium on Wednesday & I requested to speak to a manager. The phone rang & rang. No one answered. I called 3 times with no avail. I am so shock that GRand Palladium didn't want to rectify this issue.

This was the worst experience I ever had at a resort. I feel that we were mislead by The Jamaica Grand Palladium portraying o be a 5 star resort when it really is about a 3 star. The service was just unacceptable. We feel that there was just not enough employees there to assist us. the employees that was working kept complaining how they were over worked & under paid. They didn't seem like they could handle the capacity.

I've sent several emails of my dissatisfaction. To this day no respond. Sad sad situation. This will be this place demise.

Room Tip: Nice rooms but no one to clean them in a timely manner
2 Thank Toni9879
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just back from a positive experience at Palladium. I have stayed at a numbe rof All-inclusives, and this is overall one of the beat. Beauthiful hotel, well kept property, clean rooms. Only negative was the check-in; this need to be better organized, with more staff to manage the large numbers at one time.
Restaurants: Food was very good quality for al all-inclusive; use the specialty restaurants for dinner for a change, best were the Creole (Jamaican) and the Steak house. Chinese (Lotus House) was not very good. Restaurant and hotel service was good and staff very pleasant and helpful. Try to get stay in one of the Villas near to the Reception. We were in Villa 20 and walk is very far, but section is quiter that those near Reception areas. They do however have transport if you can wait. Wondeful pool area with lots of action, but they do have quiet spots along the beach if preferred.
Wifi is not dependable, even in areas where there are free hotspots.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank Mich P
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Mich P,

Thank you for sharing with us your review based off your wonderful vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer and that your expectations were met. We hope that in the future we will be your Resort of choice for another vacation nothing short of Grand!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I've been to multiple all-inclusives so I feel that I'm being fair. I don't expect these types of hotels to have amazing food or really strong drinks, what I do expect is courteous and prompt service which unfortunately wasn't the case on this trip.

-airport - about an hour away from Montego Bay airport so factor that in
- hotel - it's a little older than others, but not bad. It's one of the biggest in the wares so get ready to walk, not a bad thing in my opinion. There are little shuttles for those that don't want to walk. About 5 pools, so there are plenty of options depending how private or not you want to be. There is also an adult pool that pretty calm in comparison to the other pools.
- beach - the best beach is on the lady palladium side where they have water sports. Ladies, be wary of the flirtatious staff on that beach, quite entertaining though.
- food - by far, the best food was the jerk hut offered for lunch everyday. Deelish. The restaurants are ok. The Jamaican restaurant was the best of the ones we tried. It's difficult to have amazing food in these hotels due to the number of people they are feeding. Be warned the wait at the sit downs can be very long so sometimes the buffet was best.
- service - not the best I've experienced. Some staff seemed like they just didnt want to make the extra effort. The bartenders were great, mainly felt the lack of service from the front desk. Our tv was broken and never fixed in the five days we were there. Would have been nice to relax in room in front of tv every once in a while.

Overall, our group had a nice time, just think the little things mentioned above are enough not to go back and just try another resort next time. Just ok for me.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Portis007
Mississauga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was quite an experience. After clearing reception which was a slow process, and we were taken to our room, I was shocked at the appearance of the room. The floor was dirty, a few bottle caps were on the bathroom floor, the bathroom was not replenished with towels,washcloth etc. no bath mat. The toilet wreaked with the smell of urine.

After taking a shower, the bathroom was flooded; I found out afterwards that most other people had the same problem. The jacuzzi well, I felt for the people who are physically challenged because the height made it difficult to get in and out. I was tired of complaining.

The food was either to salty or too sweet, the odd times it was properly seasoned. As a vegan I had cabbage with corn for almost every meal during my stay. The a la-carte restaurant service was too slow and I found the staff too noisy. The staff from observation are not trained to deliver a set standard--everyone I knew there (from a party of 90) had a complaint and they varied from no toilet paper, washcloths, to flooding when it rained.

The 'beach' is rocky, sharp rocks, you would be wise to wear water shoes. The Grand Palladium is all chlorinated pools. The hotel is situated out in the middle of nowhere-you have to take those trips off site daily to get to a beach or out of that miserable place. The hotel is not close to Montego Bay. I would never recommend this place to anyone. Buyers beware!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Olive R
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Palladium, Jamaica and found the lobby to be amazing. Pool was spectacular. The rooms were very clean. The only problem was the shower as the water would drain slowly. Overall good 3.5 to 4 star hotel. Restaurants and Buffets were very clean and the food was very good. (nobody go sick). Beaches are okay and only Sunset Cove was not rocky. The service was very good everyone spoke English. Restaurants need air conditioning if dress code is in effect. Entertainment was good. I would consider going back. The beach in Negril was beautiful.. and the shopping was pretty good.

Room Tip: The noisy crickets at night....hoping you get used to them! Maybe ask to stay closer to the lobby...
Greetings Fredddddddddd,

Thank you for sharing your review based off your last vacation experience here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer, from the luxurious accommodations to the delicious meals which were had. We welcome your return in the future as it was our pleasure hosting you on your last stay. Until then, best wishes from our Palladium Family!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Grand Pallidum from Aug 11-18, and let me just say the hotel is beauiful. The structure and grounds are taken care of by the hotel staff, if you are into that this is your hotel. Unfortuately, everything else was average. First, it takes a long time for housekeeping to clean up your room...there timing is from 8am to 4pm, so if you are expecting new towels or your room to be clean at a certain time, please wait. It is a very large hotel, so expect a lot of walking. Our bathroom had a horrible odor when we got into the room they have no vents so make sure you bring airfresher or burn a candle. Our shower head was bad and water was running onto the bathroom floor. The rooms were not the best quality or 5star. My uncle and his wife had to change rooms because there was a leak in there bathroom. They do have trolleys to take you from lady hamilton and the beaches but you might have to walk sometimes. The WIFI is horrible extremely slow. Some of my family members did have to wait for there rooms to be ready, so the checkin was slow. The food is average not the best,but it is not bad they have a lot of variety. Our servers were good at all the food spots, much sure you bring money to tip. That is how the waiters make there money. Make sure you reserve tables for larger parties. They have a lot of staff members in the hotel that stand around looking at the hotel guest...for what...I really do not understand, but do expect that. The beaches are small and nasty. The Spa was amazing so please get a massage treatment while you are on the resort.

Room Tip: If you are looking for oceanview pick Villa 16
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!