“GRANDE PALLADIUM:A GOOD EXPERIENCE”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed July 8, 2013

After our awful experience at Merrills resort in Negril last year we decided to shell out the extra cash to go to a 5 star resort. We got a very good deal since we were all booking as a large group. Check in was a bit nightmarish and the weakest area for me. Check in should have been at 3 pm but rooms were not ready for most of our party until after 5pm. The standard rooms in general lived up to the adverts: in each villa the bedrooms were arranged around an atrium with plants and flowing water, each bedroom had a Jacuzzi tub in or outside the bathroom, a lounge area with sofa bed, private balcony with good to spectacular views on the first to second floors, fridge stocked, coffee station, hair drier, lots of mirrors, iron board with iron, just that in our case the furniture needed dusting. Loved their eco preservation touches! Your key card operates your electricity so that once you remove it as you leave the room the electricity goes off when you close the front door and the toilet had options for flushing with use of either 3 or 6 litres of water. Maid service was offered twice per day with the option of allowing the evening maid to arrange your bed linen for sleep and they place a chocolate candy on the bed on completion! Aint that sweet! The grounds were even more huge and spectacular than they looked on the virtual tour which I took on line but I hated this checkerboard artwork that they had behind the lobby desk at the Lady Hamilton. Oh, I did not tell you that the resort was huge (I think over 600 acres) and it’s divided into two resorts; the Jamaica Resort and Spa and the Lady Hamilton Resort and Spa. We stayed at the Lady Hamilton which I'm told is the more luxurious side and I hear they are planning a third phase. Because it was just for the weekend we were only able to eat at one of the a la carte restaurants (they have 11 restaurants in all, 7 of them a la carte) we wanted to try the Asian restaurant but it was closed on our last night when we got there. So we had most of our meals at the buffet restaurants. The food ranged from very good to awful with breakfast and lunch taking top rates for me. I think perhaps it depended on the chefs on duty. Service in the buffet restaurants in terms of waitering was hectic and at times you were neglected. I believe they need to hire more staff to better meet the needs of the high volume of diners who utilize these restaurants. There was too much disturbance from breaking of glassware as waiters frequently dropped utensils during collection or distribution. Their replacement cost in this area must be huge! I was not at one meal where there was not at least three breakages! I loved the Poseidon sea food restaurant which was the only a la carte restaurant I was able to eat a meal at. Service was great and the meal good and our meal was not disturbed by falling dinner ware! The jerk shrimp kebab was awesome especially. You have full access to the spa which had a sauna room, exercise room, several pools ranging from hot to cold, areas for massages and other services (you pay for massages and bumber, I did not have the cash!) Service was the best here. Lots of entertainment at the resort but of course very tourist oriented; we locals found some very boring. Infinity pool was spectacular and the best beach was at the Sunset Cove below the Poseidon seafood restaurant. Terrific, glorious view from the bluff on which the restaurant sits.
They just need to remove more sea weed from the water further from the shore (know its nature but hate the feel of it under my feet!) Yep, this hotel washed the sour or should I say peppery taste of Merrills right out of my mouth and I will surely be back.

Room Tip: As said before the grounds were beautiful in every direction no matter which villa you were at on La...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ruhe-hope A
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Ruhe-hope A

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,078)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Got back 2 days ago & never been happier to come back home, which I have never said before about any holiday. This is not a 5* hotel - maybe a 3* at a push! The furniture in the 'smelly' Infinitiy bar are very tatty & some chairs broken, there's also cockroaches crawling around on the bar & around it, bar staff didn't seem bothered, so I hate to think what the kitchens are like for creepy crawlies! Pools are filthy - what was more annoying is the pool attendant came to 'clean' the pool (Coral Pool) when it was open, so had to swim around the cleaning pipe! Food in the Buffet restaurant was repetative - even on 'themed' nights the food was basically the same! With the a la carte restaurants you had to queue & wait for a table which sometimes took upto an hour, one night we waited 45 minutes to dine in the Creole restaurant & finally sat down & requested a vegetarian menu - 20 mins later still no menu so went to the waiter who I'd ask for it & he just shoved it into my hand with no apology, so we just walked out in discust. The waiter service in the bars & buffet restaurant was terrible, for some mealtimes we asked for wine & waited & ended up fetching our own glass of wine, it seemed US guests were favoured over other guests, & US had priority over everyone else. There was some staff that was nice (especially Gregory in the Infinity Bar - he made a effort to make guests have a good time).
This is just a few issues & can guarantee I will not be returning to this hotel & definately not recommend to anyone else (unless you are from US).

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view - ours was a main road view - even tho we did ask for pool view!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul D
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We went with the hole family for a wedding.
There is no big difference between Jamaica and Lady Hamilton.
Beaches - three, all of them with lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas. Poseidon`s Beach at Sunset Cove is the best, water sports equipment is offered free of charge. Bring your own snorkel.
Food - overall good, Bubbas restaurant is the best.
Drinks - fine, but the soda fountains are not well regulated.
Rooms - big and good air conditioning, some people had problems with bad housekeeping, but if you talk to the housekeeper it will be fixed.
Very clean and well landscaped.

Room Tip: Villas 13-14 are good
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We recently got married at Grand Palladium and brought with us 30 guests. All of them enjoyed the resort, some even saying it was the best they been at in Jamaica.
ROOMS
We stayed in the Lady Hamilton section, in one of the honeymoon villa. We booked a year in advance, and got the villa we wanted. If you have something to celebrate, it's worth it! The outside shower is amazing and the jacuzzi is as big as a pool! We had excellent service at check in (carrying a wedding dress might help!), welcome gift, etc.
The other guest were please with their room as well. It's a big resort, expect to walk a lot!
FOOD
We manage to eat at last 5 different a la carte. Expect to wait 30 min at least for a place. Just take a drink at the bar and relax, it's vacation! (some people don't seem to have patience...). The indian and the creole restaurant were the best.
Lots of choice at the buffet. No waiting time.
The jerk hut is worth the wait!
BEACH
Lots of choice! There is 3 beaches. Some more sandy, some more rocky! Watch for the sea orchids at some places. If I remember correctly, the Sunset beach is the most sandy one. They kept some of the natural habitat in the beach, since the hotel is so big. Great to snorkel, I was able to swing for an hour and see lots of fish. Even a sting ray!!!
POOLS
Really big! You don't step on each other feet!!
DRINK
Dirty monkey all the way!
Good service from the bartender. They even participate in my bachelorette!!
STAFF
Lots of parties, white party, Bon fire on the beach. They are a bit intense in their dancing! I went to some resort that there was nothing to do after 10 PM! Not there! We didn't really watch their shows. We went to the disco 2-3 times, not empty!
The live music in the lobby was nice. We dance on the steel band music the night of the wedding. A band was there on the night of the bachelorette, great experience too!
ACTIVITIES
We went to Dunn River Fall with one of the tour company inside the hotel. We went to Negril with Air transat. Dunn RIver Falls is far!
We did the great Mable, which I would discourage anybody to try! It's a 15 min ride on a floating couch that is pull by a speed boat. It was so fast I was AFRAID FOR MY LIFE! And i'm not a hypochondriac, the 3 other men I was with didn't enjoy it either because of the danger. You had to hold yourself on strap to stay on the couch, my finger were hurting so much! We were bouncing really high, and at the speed we were going, getting off the couch and going in the water would have hurt. We all got neck whiplash injuries. We deeply regret to have tried it, even more the day before the wedding!!!
On a better note, the spa is nice. But the spa at Grand Palladium riviera maya is nicer.
WEDDING
I reserved my spot a year in advance, which I recommend. They take 3 weeks to answer emails between April and October, and then, their season start, and it gets quicker.
Great meeting with the wedding planner on arrival. Everything went as plan (if not, I didn't notice!)
My bouquet was great, delivered on time! And champagne delivered on time as well!
We choose the gazebo, which I recommend too, the beach is way too hot and sunny, and the other guests on lounge chairs are a bit too close to the wedding to my taste.
We had a steel band, they got the timing right. We could choose the songs for the ceremony.
The ceremony was perfect. We did a vow renewal (got married in Canada a few months before) to save $$$ in their wedding packages. You couldn't tell it was a renewal and not a wedding! The speech of the minister was soooo romantic!
After, we had cocktail hour around the gazebo. Open bar and nice food bite.
We had supper at Poseidon (private reception). We chose a 5 courses services, every bite was delicious! Nice presentation too. Even the vegetarian option was outstanding!
We book the sound system to be able to play our music. Bring a second Ipod, mine ran out of battery! We ended the night dancing in the lobby, and after, in the disco.
As you can see, we ended up adding many extras (Steel band, cocktail, sound system, private reception, flowers, etc). Yes, the cost goes up! But you only get married once! We choose Jamaica for the food, knowing it's not the cheapest country to get married in the Caribbean. We enjoyed the people, the laid back atmosphere and of course, the jerk chicken!

I went to Cuba twice, Mexico twice and Dominican republic. It's a great hotel. I usually don't go back to the same spot twice, since there are so many places to see in the world! But I would go back there, okay, it's a bit sentimental because I got married there!

Room Tip: The block 25 is closer to the centre if I remember correctly. You can find a map online.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear crystalbleu,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. Congratulations on your marriage! We are elated that we were the Resort of choice for such a special occasion. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had.

As a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important that our guests have a grand vacation and it is great knowing that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future for another vacation nothing short of Grand!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Beautiful hotel view and numerous event option. The beach attach to hotel is beautiful but bring your own towels. That's the only complaint for the facility. Only one beach towel and basically no face towels since the 1st day of check-in. The room was cleaned everyday but the towels issue was an issue for my our 3 room reservation.

Also there is only an elevator in the main building for those who require assistance.

The pool area was decent but drink glasses were everywhere. My friends loved the pool area and Sunset Beach which is part of the Lady Hamilton aspect of the hotel.

T

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We just got back from here 2 days ago and I've never been happier to be home which is something I've never said before about vacation. I've been to numerous Caribbean and Mexican resorts and this was by far the worst.

Staff- this staff was extremely rude and very inhospitable. There are too many accounts of servers being rude that's it would be hard to type all of them in a review box. One that sticks out is while at the swim up bar I ordered a drink and although it took a while I received my drink but it had a bee in it. When I pointed this out the bartender acted annoyed by me so when he made me another he handed it to me with yet another bee in it and he said "let me guess you don't want this one either?" I still gave him a $5 tip and then $1 for every other drink he made. After 4 drinks in about an hour and a half time I went to order another and he very rudely said he was closing the bar and it was only 5pm when I asked he he could just give me one more before he closed he once again in a rude voice said "No, how many drinks have I made you today anyway?" Then he turned his back and walked off.

The staff in the gift shop was very rude every single time we walked in. On two occasions when we left the gift shop we heard people standing outside talking about how rude they were to them as well.

The pools were filthy, the food was mediocre at best, the beaches were small, and staff was terribly rude although I can think of two waiters who were happy and in a good mood I believe their names were Richard and JayJay.

Lastly, leaving the resort is a nightmare so be sure to get there well before you're supposed to leave for the airport because although we had van that was coming to pick us up sent by US Airways and which was already paid for they put another group in our spot then tried to make us pay them to use their on service cabs to get to the airport. After a few minutes of intense arguing they ended up paying the cab fee since our US Airways van was supposed to be free.

Terrible experience and would not recommend going back. It's very important to note that I have never had a bad experience while on vacation and by my 2nd day out of 6 days not only was I ready to leave but the same was for the 6 other people we went with.

Room Tip: Lady Hamilton is not worth the extra $$$
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Busyddd
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Was looking forward to this vacation for 6 months. Jamaica was ALWAYS a place I was interested in visiting.

Flew in and got there around 11am. Going through customs really gave me a sneak peak on how tourist/customers are treated there. You walk in to the airport and it is HOT. The custom agents getting you through are loud and rude.

So after not sleeping for 24 hrs (had to catch a red eye and I can NOT sleep on a plane) we get on our shuttle. Wait for the rest of the tourist before we leave. We get on the road and it takes about an hour.

Stepping off the shuttle to our resort with my friend (who I should mention is a guy) and am waiting for luggage to be pulled off. Completly ignored by the bell boy? while he passes me and talks to my friend (I say this because this type of incident happened multiple times while staying here..Culture??)

We arrive about an hour before check in at 3pm and are told our room is not ready. Ask to pay a lil more to get in immediately as we were tired, hungry, sweaty. We get right in. The room:DIRTY. Sheets are stained, bathroom has mold above shower, BUGS everywhere,toilet stained. UGHHH. I call the front desk and inform them that the room was not cleaned or that they had missed a few things, said that they would be over. Never showed.
I refused to sleep in my bed (roommate had his own) so I wrapped up in a blanket (thank god) that he brought along for 3 days over the sheets/comforter!!

The staff acted very annoyed with helping you. And greeting you? Forget it. We met one very nice lady in the buffett (which I loved). I think her name was Janet but I am not sure. She was sweet and very helpful.

I was very surprised to find out that they do not use their A/C on a regular basis there in the restraunts and stores?! It is about 100 degrees with 100% humidity!! Walk outside and your glasses fog up, instantly start to sweat (I know they can not help this, from WA state so that is my own rant).

If I ever go back to Jamaica I would probably stay elsewhere and go outside of the resort, definately. I would probably stay on the Hip Strip* which has a beautiful public beach, plenty of shops, and bars. And maybe a different time of year.

Room Tip: Villa 11 or 12, ocean view and a walk to the lobby/pool
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Erica J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!