“Lovely Vacation”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Lovely Vacation”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Arriving at the airport was interesting, once we got a taxi 30 min. ride check in was great very easy no waiting plus comp drinks and bellboy on the spot. The room was very nice overlooking the sea robes, clean bathroom ,minibar was stock everyday towels were there everyday. The food was awesome jerk chicken hut, pool bar was awesome. The beaches were very good peaceful and relaxing, Dinner was excellent bubba grill the new York strip was to die for and the overall service was first class, My wife and I dress up in linen outfits all white and enjoyed ourselves. Remember to tip because it will make or break your trip. One Dollar are two goes a long way there. That's why people who wrote bad reviews probably did not tip shame on them!!
Overall very nice vacation resort.NO PROBLEM, MON!!

Room Tip: ask for a junior suite, overlooking thee sea, villa 26, 27, 28
1 Thank Richard B
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Richard B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,819)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Raymond, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I just had to write a review ...IGNORE the bad reviews this place is awesome .I don't know where the bad review people stayed but it definatley wasnt here ...We came here for our honeymoon and from the minute we arrived till the minute we left we had an amazing time .From our room to the food everything was great staff was awesome bartenders great I cannot wait to return next year ......one thing that could be changed is the sports bar needs to be air conditioned not a complaint just a suggestion.....awesome awesome awesome .....

Room Tip: ya gotta stay in building 11 or 12 for goodviews
2 Thank kennykap
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear kennykap,

It is great that you took the time out to share with us your review about your last vacation here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated to hear that your honeymoon experience with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to the fullest. It would be our pleasure hosting you again in the near future. Until your next visit, best wishes from our Palladium family.
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

My family and I returned from the Grand Palladium Jamaica on 6/26/13. We spent 5 days 4 nights. We traveled with 2 kids ages 11 and 17. Another couple also joined us. When u arrive it may seem very chaotic but they have a system that is actually very organized. This is a mega resort so check in was decent for the amount of people that were arriving at one time. Front desk, I think his name was Oscar was very professional and informative. He worked hard to have both families in the same building. Our room was a one bedroom suite clean and spacious I think we were in building 21 close to the lobby. The other couples room appeared to be less dated than ours. Everyone satisfied and I am picky about where I sleep. Specialty restaurant were good dress code in effect husband wore pants and v neck t shirts some wore polo style shirts my son who is 11 got away with shorts sandals and v neck t shirts. Ladies wore sundresses, rompers and capris. Steak house packed. Jamaican restaurant awesome enjoyed it better than the steak house. Buffet awesome for breakfast ok at night. They have a kids club I believe open till 5. I will say 98% of staff had smiles on their faces and ready to cater to you. Everyone raved about sunset cove beach. But I didn't care for it. Even my 11 yr old preferred the beach closest to the main pool it looked nicer. Drinks on point. Ask for a "Jamaica smiles." We tipped the maid and at restaurants there was no pressure from the staff to tip they work hard. Harder than many of our fellow Americans that i have encountered in the states. Wash clothes were an issue one night but reading previous reviews I packed our own face cloths which did not dampen our mood when we didn't get them that night. Entertainment awesome. Night club was fun. Shout out to "street" my husband and his friends favorite bartender in the cigar bar. "Honey" one of the pop staff had an infectious smile. No elevators lots of stairs floors made of marble and if u have Knee issues this resort may not b for u. As much as u eat the walking is needed for digestion. I think your experience is what u make of it. This resort is way better than holiday inn sunspree and the staff take their jobs seriously. Go to jamaica with the no problem man attitude u will have a blast .
Our 17 yr old daughter met other teens there and looks forward to returning. I picked this resort because it looked safe and clean and that's the environment that was important for my family. Thanks grand palladium for making our family vacation special cause I can b difficult to please.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank stella012
Greetings stella012!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.
Prattville, Alabama
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Just got back last night. Stayed from 6/22 - 6/28 and we could not wait to leave and get home.
We arrived around 4pm, room was ready when we finally got to the desk since the check in process is disorganized and chaotic. When we got to our room, 1318, it was hot and humid so we turned on the air. After a few hours, we realized the AC wasn't going to work good but decided to deal with it. Big mistake, we should have moved to a new room. At least we were close to the center of the resort. The room was moldy, ceiling was falling down in the bathroom, and everytime you took a shower, it flooded. The sheets didn't fit the bed and it the mattress was hard and the 2 inch topper they had on it always moved. I woke up each morning with a backache. I did make friends with the housekeeper and she would provide me with coffee and creamer each morning and helped with the towel issue. Tipping her made sure she helped.

We decided to get something eat but found out that everything was CLOSED until 6pm except for the sports bar. Didn't want to take my 5 yo into a sports bar so we looked around until 6 and went to the buffet. Food was horrible. 3 buffets with all the same food. We had no intention to try the A La Carte's since I wanted to stay in shorts and refused to wear long pants. Ridiculous rule, requiring long pants at a carribean resort, so we had to suffer through the buffet, stomach cramps and nausea each day. Bread and butter became a welcome staple.

The pool bars close at 5 each day, HUH?!?! Yep, if you want a drink after 5 you won't find it at the pool. You can go to the sports bar or the 2nd level above the pool. And the bartenders????, if your female, you may get them to get you a decent drink. No one makes them the same way, but we did finally stay with the Purple Rain which was good. I could tell they hated making it since they had to actually use the blender and I had a bubba cup. Excuse me for being prepared and not wanting to come back to you every 10 mins.

The beaches are disgusting. Trash, cat feces, poorly maintained and rocks galore. Don't even attempt to go to them, not even sunset cove. Not worth it.

We do not want housekeeping in our room, with or without a safe. I asked for towels from the front desk and got nothing. I went to guest services at the front desk and they went and got me towels right then. I told them I need my mini bar stocked as well and they said they would send someone. No one ever showed up. I keep a do not disturb sign on the door so I told them to leave the towels and drinks at the door. They said they would do it for the towels but not for the drinks. They called the next day to see if I got towels and I said yes, but no drinks. I had went and bought my own at the gift shop for $2 each. (Water and Diet Coke). I said I would stay in the room and wait for the drink guy if he came right then. 4 hours later, he shows with 1 bottle of diet coke and 2 waters. Give me a break!!

By day 3, we were begging to go home. We will NEVER go to this resort or will we EVER return to Jamaica. First and last trip was a living hell!! If someone gave me a free trip, I'd sell it as nothing will ever get me back. This place is run down, not kept up and couldn't even compete with a holiday inn express.

GO ELSEWHERE!!!!

Room Tip: Go to another resort.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Greg C
USA

Let me start by stating that this is my first hotel review in 16 years,
after spending one wonderful week at Grand Jamaica with my wife and two daughters ( one teenager and one in the early twenties ) we all agree that all the bad reviews are unjustified. Here is our experience there:
We arrived via private transportation around 4 pm and between the welcome cocktail and check in spend about 20 minutes at the main lobby. Arriving here in a shared bus in may cause the check in to be slow, but it takes longer to board or get off and airplane. We visited the lobby few times to check e-mails and the (free) wifi is slow but may be caused by the dozens of people using their devices in the lobby area. While our kids complaining a bit about the slow connection, it was not an inconvenient to my wife or to me, both of us can live checking our inbox every two or three days; for four dollars one can get 1/2 hour of use in one of the computers in the lobby with a much faster spews.
We have never been to the other side of the big pond, but in North America and Latin America all the free wifi offered by hotels of any star range is slow.
Guest can check in at any time, but rooms are available only after 3 pm, early birds are able to use a shower and jump in the pool asap or get a meal or drinks.
We were transported in a large golf cart to our room in building 14, and without requesting any specific accommodation got a room with ocean view.
The room was clean and mini bar stocked, clean towels and bathrobes, toiletry and coffee bags aplenty and restocked every day.
The safe was not working and had to call the main desk, withing 15 minutes a person came to check it and told us it was unable to fix right away, so we went on a exploratory walk in the giant hotel complex to get familiar with it and then to it. When we came back to the room the safe had been repaired.
The bathrooms can use a bit of maintenance, just a frecuent paint touch up will do. The disastrous leaking situation of the showers that cause so many complaints it was easily alleviated by sliding the shower head down the holding pole and using the medium setting
in the valve, The water pressure here is huge and 1/2 open is enough to take a better shower than at home where we are mandated to use water saving shower heads and faucets. don't forget to put a towel on the floor outside the shower door, we always do that at home.
The food and the service at the buffets and thematic restaurants is wonderful, best one for us was Xamaica, we visited twice and the four of us found the food delectable. Waitstaff is very attentive and prompt, and folks, we wait longer to be seated at any restaurant in DC on a weekend night.
The " dressing code" was not a burden at all, it is not a big deal to pack one slack one shirt and shoes, the food in the buffets was always monitored whit and infrared termometer by a staff member, the variety of food is collossal, we came for a Jamaican experience and tasted every dish, fish run, salty fish, ox tail, curry everything, we have had enough burgers and pizza at home, no way to miss this chance to taste some dishes unavailable where we live.
The swimming pools are woderful, and yes there is the eventual straw or plastic cup in the inffinity pool, it is espected with the pool bar always busy, however the pool is being constantly cleaned. Don't blame the hotel, the very same distinguished visitors drinking in or around the pool are the ones littering! take your glasses back to the bar or the specific return boxes around the hotel.
Beaches are what we espected, lots of sea fauna and rocky, my daughters only use the beach (any beach we ever went ) to sunbath, i had a great time snorkeling ( own equipment)
and wife enjoyed the nice shades of trees.
For the travelers with complaints:
Before going anywhere, do your research, don't come to Jamaica and whine about the heat or the food, visit a place where you can find what you can eat.
The staff all over the complex is very nice, a simple smile and hello goes a long way, don't tip in you forgot small change at home, but be nice to the people that is serving you, that is a universal gesture. Sometimes we tipped in this hotel, sometimes we did not, always had the same great attention and respect, i will not include names because it will be a very long list, please walk in the designed walkways ( roofed and ilumminated! ) the wider path is for service carts, it is not a big walkway, give the drivers a break, they are very busy.
And last, it is Jamaica, for once try to practice the local mantra : NO PROBLEM MON!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank wayfaraway
Greetings!

Celina
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I want to put anyone who is considering this resort mind at ease. Ignore all of the bad reviews!! My husband and I were at Grand Palladium June 15-20. I read the reviews before we went and I was a little apprehensive as to what we would find when we got there. As soon as we arrived my mind was at ease. The resort is BEUTIFUL!! When we got there, there were bell boys to get our luggage and rum punch was available. We went to reception to check in and they said our room was not ready yet(we arrived before 12pm) but they told us we could leave our luggage and go get lunch at one of the buffets and have a few drinks(which we did). When we returned, our room was ready and one of the bell boys loaded our luggage and took us to our room. We had requested an ocen view room which was not avaiable on the day we arrived but they did upgrade us shortly after to a beautiful ocean front room free of charge( room 1527 the BEST!!). Both rooms we were in were comfortable, well maintained and very clean. Yes, the beds and pillows are a little firm, but thats a preference thing as far as I'm concerned. We went to 5 of the 7 ala carte restaurants and the food and service was great at all of them. We really liked the Mexican, Italian and Bubba's steakhouse. The grounds were beautiful and the pools amazing. Especially the main pool. It's huge, with a swim up bar!! The resort if fairly large but the walk didn't bother us at all. It gave us time to enjoy all of the amazing scenery. All the people that worked there were very friendly and eager to take up conversation. from the waiters/watiresses, to the grounds keepers. They all wanted to make sure we were having a wonderful time. The beaches are a little rocky but still very beautiful to look at. We don't mind because we would rather swim in the pools. We relaxed on the beaches and swam at the pools. There is entainment every night and several bars to pick from. The only place we didn't enjoy was the sports bar. It is nice because it is opened all night however the food there was just O.K. and there was no air conditioning and very little air moving so it was very hot. There are lots of excursions offered and things to do on the island. We did take one day excursion to Rick's Cafe and Margaritaville which we enjoyed and was only $25/person but could have easily stayed on the resort the whole time and been very happy. As far as others saying the service is bad, bottom line, treat others as you want to be treated!!!!! Yes they are they to serve but that doesn't mean they should be treated as servants!!! We did tip but typically only a dollar or two. We took $50 in one dollar bills and that was sufficient for our whole trip. We also took big mugs to have filled at the bars especially by the pool and that works great!! We loved this resort and would definetly return!!

Room Tip: We were in room 2417 which has a great view of the resort but there is a road close by. We were also...
7 Thank Bec245
Dear Bec245,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had.

As a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important that our guests have a grand vacation and it is great knowing that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future for another vacation nothing short of Grand!
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I am not sure why some have written bad reviews......never had to wait to get into a restraunt, food was excelant,the staff was FANTASTIC......its pretty simple, treat someone nice, and youget that in return. I am shocked and amazed at the number of people that dont tip......a dollor or two goes soooooo f, they work there butts off for very little money. It is in the middle ofnowhere, and we likd that, we hired a taxi for the day, and next time we will hire Joe Cool taxi for two or three days....what I liked, because it is the middle of no where, we didnt have to deal with a million peddlers on the beach.....there were none........the only thing to improve on is the Air conditioning in the restraunts needed to be a little better:) we are already planning our trip in the future!!

Room Tip: Ireally nted building 11, since my husband had a gout flare , but wasnt available...less walking...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank riandiphoto
Greetings!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!