“Great family vacation”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great family vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I were here May 26-30 with our 4 year old daughter. We had a great time, but I went in knowing what to expect. We arrived at around 5:00 pm via JTL pre-arranged transport, and the lobby was full. When we arrived, only 1 person was checking people in. This resulted in no line movement. Eventually, more staff came out to check us in. It took almost 90 minutes to check in, which really started us off on the wrong foot.

The lobby looks amazing, but I didn't really notice until later because of the extremely long check-in process. We stayed in villa 12, room 1206. The courtyard was very pretty and is home to some tiny frogs with big voices. Stop complaining about the frogs- it's nature!! Our room was a 1BR suite on the ground floor. We had 2 balconies and the room was always clean and fully stocked with towels and drinks. There was no moldy smell and the air conditioner kept the room perfectly comfortable (I like to sleep in a cold room). The toilet ran, but we kept the bathroom door closed and weren't bothered by it. The maid called maintenance twice about it, but it was unresolved when we left. Villa 12 is pretty close to the lobby, but still very quiet (if you ignore the frogs). The covered walkway was very handy during rain. The walk to the lobby took about 5 min. The walk to Sunset Cove took about 10-15 min (dragging the hubs and the kid and a bunch of junk), but I didn't think it was bad. It's a big resort.

We spent most days at Sunset Cove, which was nice. The water was very calm and very warm. It seemed more like a lake. There were plenty of chairs. Ms. Mercilynn at the Poseidon bar was great. The food at the jerk chicken hut was pretty good, just not what I expected of jerk. I used a kayak, which was fun. However, the reefs come up really close to the surface in a lot of spots, so beware. In short, Sunset Cove did what it was supposed to do for our purposes, but it is not the Jamaican postcard of a never-ending white beach. Our daughter loved it, which is why we spent all of our time there. The main pool was huge and very picturesque. The beach outside the main pool is nice, with beds and chairs. Wear water shoes at all times on these two beaches. I didn't visit the adult beach, so I can't speak on that.

We ate at Bubba's one night. We arrived at 6:00 pm and were seated immediately. I don't have a problem with a dress code (sometimes guys just have to wear pants- suck it up!), but the air conditioner should work. I was hot in a dress, I felt sorry for the guys. This affected how we viewed the meal, as we rushed through in order to get out of there ASAP. Most of our other meals were at the buffets. The waitstaff was extremely friendly and accommodating to my daughter. She felt special and looked for her friends at each meal. She is now convinced that she's Jamaican. Breakfast overlooking the pool was really nice. The food in general was okay, about what I expected. I expected more from Bubba's, though.

I liked this resort and I would recommend it, as long as you know what you're getting into. There is nothing close to Lucea. The closest would be Negril. Anything you do will take at least an hour, if not several hours, to reach by bus/van/car. Also, you won't find endless white sand beaches here. You will find a very pretty resort with decent food and great staff who will go out of their way to help you have a great time. Whether you want to party (there was plenty of that going on in the BIGGEST POOL IN JAMAICA) or relax, you can have a really awesome vacation here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Tiffany P
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,786)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
sycamore Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We visited the GP June 2-June 9. This being our 2nd time to this resort we were very familiar with what they had to offer and where activities and restaurants were located. Our checkin experience was alot of fun. We as a group of 9 had tie dyed shirts in Jamaican colors. Along with that and a positive attitude the reception was more than happy to serve us and start our vacation off on the right foot. Our room was ready before 3:00. We had requested 5 rooms in the same building and were happy that our request was fulfilled. All of our dining experiences were wonderful. The morning buffet was a great start to our day after a workout in the gym. A few options to choose from for lunch, our favorite being the jerk hut. We all had our meeting place at the infinity bar prior to dinner. Beautiful scenery, tasty drinks, made for some spectacular pictures. We dined at a few a la carte restaurants, all of which were fantastic along with fun prompt service. Yes, for the most part the restaurants were warm. I felt sorry for the guys in their long pants as I was sweating with my strapless dress on! The activity crew were so much fun. My boys remembered Spoon, Sunshine and Buttercup from our last trip. It wasnt long before they new all the entertainment staff which made for a fun exhausting vacation for them. The rooms were comfortable, beds a little on the hard side but after a day in the sun, no problem. There is alot of walking, but enjoy the scenery! There is always a local along the way that is always willing to talk and share some history or just try to get to know you. The pool is huge and was very warm. Definately a chore to try and keep clean as was evident with all the sun lotion, spilled drinks and number of people. Shout out to Martin at the pool bar. There is a guy that loves his job! Also Dawes at the main buffet...he brought us a local fruit to try at our table and then bought a bottle of sour sop juice for us to mix with rum! A local fruit juice made from a huge fruit that grows on a tree. If I did have to complain about anything it would be the LARGE groups of high school seniors that book senior trips at this resort. Two years ago not such a big problem, but this year it was crazy. Seems that there was lack of supervision...and if there was supervision, they were drinking just as much as the kids. The main objective was to get drunk as fast as possible. I highly doubt they were all 18 years of age. This part of the vacation was a real turnoff. We have talked about returning to this resort as our teenagers and young adults had an amazing time participating in all activities. Drinking basically took a back seat. I can only see the senior trip groups continuing, which would make us look elswhere. Travelling at a different time is not an option as of now, however, I think that would solve our problem if we were able to travel a few weeks early. All in all, great trip!!

Room Tip: call resort a week before if you have specific needs
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear escalade4,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had.

As a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important that our guests have a grand vacation and it is great knowing that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future for another vacation nothing short of Grand!
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Ok! I really don't understand where the bad reviews are coming from but I just got back on the 11th of June and had a fabulous time at the Grand Palladium. My husband and I had the Junior suite on the Jamacia side and was satisfied with the room. The bed was firm which was fine but the pillow was too firm. They may want to look at the type of pillows used. But I still slept well. Slight negative but NO PROBLEM!!! They did have a pillow menu to get other types of pillows.
If you like to drink definitely get a big mug. They sold souviner mugs in the gift shop. If the service you got was bad you might want to think about tipping $1 or $2 dollars instead feeling like they owe you something. My husband and I sat at the Sports bar, Infinity bar, Negril buffet, Mo Bay Buffet, Bubba steakhouse, Asian resturant and the Blue Lagoon buffet and watch person after person not tipping but talking to the bartenders, waiters and waitress' any type of way. How rude is that? If anyone was rude it was some of the guest. Go figure they would be the ones complaining!
The pool was awesome. The view was awesome day and night.
Keisha in the Negril Buffet took care of me and my husband. We told her that we will be back next year with a group. She gave me her number and told me to call her when we are coming back. John at the Sports bar reminded me of my Uncle Franklin, he was pleasent and treated us like gold. Also in the sports bar (my cousin) Wilson is the last name, he was awesome in the late night hours when you got a little hungry. He makes a great burger!!!! My girl Jean, she was awesome when we went to the Infinity Bar she always took care of us!! We always found Jean she treated us like family. These people should get a BONUS. The entertainment was great. Had a good time! We are coming back next year with 8 couples (18 people including me and my husband). I pray we get a discount for booking so many rooms. Yea Mon! It was IRIE!

Room Tip: Tip for the service and bring a large mug
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 127TracyG
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Grand Palladium (Jamaica side) from June 3-8th in their one bedroom suite (2330). Overall, it was an amazing trip and the resort was absolutely beautiful.

Room: The room was huge! Very spacious and comfortable. There were balconies with lounge chairs leading out of both the living room and the bedroom. There was a TV in the living room as well as the bedroom, however, the TV in the bedroom had a lot of static and the picture was sometimes blurred. But come on, who's going to Jamaica to stay in their room and watch TV? The bathroom was HUGE with a shower big enough for 2-3 people and a jacuzzi.

Food: We opted for the buffets when it came to dining.. mainly because we simply did not want to get dressed up. I have very low standards for buffets because I'm convinced everything tastes bland and generic, however, this was not the case -- the food was delicious and I was pleasantly surprised. We did go to the Creole place for dinner one night and it was amazing (no wait).

Pools/Beaches: The beaches were beautiful, to look at. However, they were very rocky and it was painful to walk in the water so we stuck with the pool.

Service: The service was impeccable! Everyone we came across was extremely friendly and very helpful. Not once did we come across someone who was rude (like many previous reviews mentioned). We even met a groundskeeper who later brought us fresh coconuts, sugar cane and mangoes. Can't get any better than that!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bell1028

Aurora, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Quick summary. My fiancé and I just got back from the lady hamilton side after staying for 5 days. We will start with the positives..beaches/pools were nice and clean, drinks were good (bring your own large glass)..spa was relaxing and best kept secret..and we would recommend spending the money for a honeymoon suits for the jacuzzi and outdoor shower. Now for the negatives..the AC was horrible in the room, bed/pillows very uncomfortable..food is horrible. I think we lost weight from all the walking, sweating and lack of good food. We were disappointed with the on site shuttle service and were almost run over by them a few times. I suggest looking around and paying more for better food and overall service. Took a taxi to Negril and it looks beautiful there. If you want to just looking to relax, looking for cheap and don't care about quality food this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the honeymoon suite
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jim M
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband surprise me with a trip to the Grand Palladium for my birthday.
The junior suite we had was comfortable and clean and had champagne & strawberries upon arrival. Check-in was quick and has some rum punch available. Staff was polite and accommodating.
Our room was situated a little ways back which was a fair long walk to the pool and beach. They had plenty of food offered and my husband appreciated but the food was ok. I found the food to be cooked in too much oil and actually got a little sick from it. I stuck to pre-packaged items the remainder of the trip.
The entertainment was excellent at this resort and the main bar was full and played great music all night.
They had a night beach grill dinner where everyone sat on the beach and they had different stations to visit. It was a great evening and a lot of fun.
The resort was very large and the spa was great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Michelle K
Greetings Michelle K!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.
Silver Spring, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

If you have gone to other all-inclusive resorts before you will NOT be happy with what you get here... pay a little more and stay elsewhere! If this is the first one you go to it should be OKAY. Customer service is aweful, really AWEFUL.
Hopefully your flight is after check-in time because if it is before, FORGET about checking in early! They will have you wait until 3pm no matter what, they will take all your info and give you a wrist band to go eat at the buffets but will not give you a room. We asked nicely if there was anything available and they did not even look at the computer, they just tell you to come back at 3pm. The problem with that is that EVERYBODY checks in at 3pm and it takes forever to get your room. We asked a building close to the main lobby, we got pretty much the last one on the resort... we asked if we could pay extra for ocean view and they said it was too late to request that, (again they did not look at the computer while saying this). We were explained that the shuddle takes you anywhere you want all you have to do is call... the shuddle takes at least 20mts to get to your building... we had to walk everywhere.
Customer service is beyond bad, we paid $50 to have WiFi on the resort, the WiFi almost NEVER worked, when we complained all we were told is "would you like a refund".
Food is not very good, it was OKAY. You cannot make any reservations unless you are more than like 8 people... wait time for the restaurants are of at least one hour. The mexican restaurant had a wait line of 45mts and then we waited over 1 hour to get our food... which was not very good.. couldn't really eat it. The stake house was the best restaurant they had.
I got sick at one of the restaurants and tried to see the nurse. PLEASE ADVISE, to see the nurse is $30 and to see the doctor is $200, it is NOT FREE as they advertize. It is adverized as medical care free until 5pm... NOPE.
This resort is about 45mts from Negril and MoBay, so be aware that it will take you that long to do ANY activities or trips, since all the activities and trips are in one of those two places.
The resort is very pretty, the rooms very comfortable and big, the AC works great, the view is beautiful and the beach is amazing. We were just really unhappy with the customer serivice, the poor organization and bad food.
We were happy we visited Jamaica and their beautiful beaches, but will never be staying here again.

Room Tip: You will need a shuttle for any buildings #15 and up
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank PolaDG
FiestaJamaica, Front Office Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Jamaica/ Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa. All reports help us to understand what our guests need or want from their vacation. I'm very sorry we did not meet your expectations; I hope you'll give us another opportunity to fix our mistake. . I will take note about your comments in order to improve our day to day services and if there is anything that we can do for you in the future, please let us know.
Please note that the customer satisfaction is of a highest importance to us and the feedback we receive is taken very seriously, as it only helps us in improving our product and service that we provide on the regular basis.

Please feel free to contact our guest’s relations manager/ front desk manager at: guestrelationsmanager.jamaica@palladiumhotelgrup.com OR frontoffice.jamaica@palladiumhotelgroup.com.

Kindly

Oscar Cuevas,
Front Desk Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,849 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!