“A beautiful resort”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed at the grand palladium jamaica april21-28 and had a great time. We were a little concernd by some of the negitve reviews we read. Our experiance was mostly positive. the resort is very large so bring good walking shoes. our room was very nice. the bed and pillows were kind of hard but the big jacuzzi was a nice suprise. the maid service and the hotel staff were fine. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained and the many beaches were unique we especially liked the sunset cove, make sure you eat at the jerk hut, the best jerk chicken.The buffets were good for breakfest,lunch was ok (bad soybean burger and dryed out buns) and dinners were a hit or miss depending on the theam night. as far as the theam resturants go we tried the bubba steak hause (we are from chicago so we know good steaks) we arrived at 7pm and had a 2hour wait our steaks were grizzly and chewy and the service was bad. the poseidon was ok nothing special with a very unfriendly waitress. the asian resturant was our favorit the service was better there and the food was pretty good , but the indian resturant was the worst ,what a shame we always liked indian food, the food was strange and the staff there should be fired we thought the waitress forgot us. we used the gym once needs improvment but the hot tubs are nice and the swimming pools were wonderful.(they need a ragae band by the pool during the afternoon or at least play some more island music instead of the crap they were playing) If your looking for perfection go to the ritz carlton but for the value it's a great resort

Room Tip: leave early for the theam resturants the wait can be very very long after 6 30
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Yvonne H,

Thank you very much for your good comments about our resort and for taking the time to explain your positive experience with us. It’s a pleasure to realize that you had a great time here, as our aim is to provide memorable vacations to our guests.

We will include your comments in our briefings in an effort to continuously improve our service and product.

I hope you will be able to come back soon to enjoy the Palladium hospitality again. Thank you again and we look forward for your next visit, and please, do not hesitate to contact us for any request or further comment.

Kindest regards,

Assistant Room Division Director

Write a ReviewReviews (7,079)

Reviewed May 1, 2013

This all inclusive is a sprawling resort divided into 2 sides. The Jamaican side and the Lady Hamilton side. Be prepared for plenty of walking. The rooms on the Jamaica side are spread out and villas numbered 16 and up are pretty far from the dining and entertainment locations and equally far from the beach and the pool. Stay on the Lady H side if you want shorter walks.The facility has a fleet of golf carts to accomodate those who would rather ride but the carts have no set stops, no timetable and the drivers seem to be operating without any coordination. Arriving guests and their bags are shuttled to their villas but when the cart drivers take the bags to the rooms the carts are often unmanned or sitting idle with passengers sitting waiting for the driver to return. Rooms - nicely decorated, very large and very clean. balconies with reclining or rocking chairs, nice. Jacuzzi/tub in middle of room is a plus but should have privacy curtain that can be pulled around it. Those who had flooding while showering should angle the shower head to avoid sending water under the glass shower door. Minibar: 2 beers, 2 waters and three sodas; should have more of a selection. There are plenty of bars spread around the place. I drink Johnnie Walker Red and had no problem getting it. I didn't see mcuh top shelf booze but there was a sufficient enough selection of rums to choose from. Remember, Jamaica=Rum, Mexico = Tequila.
Food: everyone has different taste. I found the buffets to be better than average. There was a guy slicing, peeling and juicing fresh fruits and veggies each a.m. That plus some local dishes and flavors made the dining pleasurable for me. Don't forget to taste before seasoning. Many of the meats seemed to be a little salty. Specialty restaurants (unlike cruise ships) are at no extra cost, but the lines are long and they don't accept reservations except for those for people who are part of their vacation club (time share). Get to the one of your choice early. The steakhouse had very good service and very large portions. If you are not a hearty steak eater steer clear (pun intended), get the lamp chops. I hated seeing how much food was wasted simply because the servings were so large. The Jerk Hut is hidden in the back of the complex, seperate from the other buildings. Have lunch there for real Jamaican flavored fish or chicken and another lively bar. The beach on that side of the resort is smaller but gentler with lots of non-motorized water toys available. The Pool, very large, not at all crowded even though the resort was close to capacity. I found it to be clean. There were plenty of bathing chairs and palapas nearby for sun or shade. Swim up bar is for lively crowds unfortunately there is no access without going into the pool. Staff: One thing you have to understand about Jamaica, the people are not overly friendly and they don't go out of their way to entertain you with conversation. Even though their language is English they tend to converse among themselves rather than with the patrons. If this bothers you Jamaica is not for you. Tipping: I have mixed emotions about this. If you are at an all inclusive and you tip you are basically promoting bad service to other patrons. On the otherhand, the workers in these places are making horribly low wages and, if they are pleasant and work hard, should be rewarded. Use your judgement but consider both sides. Entertainment. The resort had some really great entertainment shows, two were a little risque but all in fun, and the after parties were loads of fun, especially if you are there with a group that likes to dance. The vacation desks offer plenty of "off-site" tours, excursions etc. Shop the desks in the lobby, some of the prices do differ. The beach is rocky and even with water shoes can be a little rough, but the snorkeling in shallow water will still yield an eyefull of fish sporting wonderful colors and the scenery - rocks against sunset make for great photo ops. We enjoyed our stay and would go back again.

Room Tip: If assigned the Jamaican side ask for room in building 11, 12 or 13.
6  Thank Billwings2
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Very disappointed. Would not recommend . There in no end to the complain. Everything v had ordered was 2 hour waiting..I would give 1 star to the food.Food was served cold. Drinks are all water down. I had a mildew in the room. Property is bit rundown. I was looking for manager to complain but could not see him for 4days nor returned my call. Very poor management. I got my room at 6, not enough people at check in desk. Staff was very slow.It is a 1 hour drive from the airport. It was a long walk everywhere and if u wait for cart than you will be waiting forever.

Room Tip: try to get the room closer to the pool.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank patel1952

Dear patel1952,

I'm sorry to hear about your dissappointing stay with us. We always try to meet our customers expectations so I am so sorry if this was not the case.

We have Managers on duty 24h per day so I don't understand why in 4 days we didn't talked with you. I am so sorry because we really would have helped to know about any inconvenience during your stay.

All reports help us to understand what our guests need or want from their vacation. I will take note about the issues that you mentioned in your report.

It will be nice if you decide to visit Jamaica in a future, we would be pleased if we have a second opportunity. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end.

Thank you for your attention.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We just stayed at Grand Palladium Jamaica April 22-28 and we had a great time. We were there to attend a wedding so GP was where we were going no matter what but I did get a little worried after reading some of the reviews. I have to say our room and the service we received from all employees was excellent. We arrived late in the evening and I was already prepared to deal with a limited check-in staff but that was not the case, we were greeted by group of friendly bell hops and check-in agent who had all our info ready to go and they even had me set up for the building/room type I had requested by email a week earlier (building 11, king bed suite with ocean view). I was fine with the pillows but they do offer other options for a fee. Our room was cleaned fully everyday, towels replaced daily, drinks in the fridge restocked daily, the drink guy would always give extra when I asked (if I wasn't already laying out by the pool). I don't remember her name but we did see our cleaning lady almost daily either in our room or other rooms in the villa and she was as nice as could be and did a great job with our room.

I'm usually a beach person at these types of resorts but the main pool at the Grand Palladium was amazing and it was our main hangout spot most days but we did venture over to the beaches a few times especially to do some kayaking. The beaches closer to the main pool are rocky but sunset cove beach was nicer for going in the water without any shoes/sandals and the jerk chicken hut is located at sunset cove beach along with all the water sports/boats. The main pool has three bars so you're covered for drinks in and out of the water and the POP team has activities going on around the main pool area all day long, dancing lessons, volley ball, aerobics classes, drinking games, trivia contests, etc. All the pools and beaches have more than enough lounge chairs so it's never an issue to find a spot.

For lunch and dinner we always ate at the buffets (3 buffets) or lunch at the jerk hut if we were in that area. For an all inclusive I have to say the buffet food for breakfast and lunch was very good (never tried buffet for dinner). One day for lunch I had fried whole red snapper, really good. For dinner we tried the Asian, Jamaican, Mexican, sea food and steak house, all were excellent and we made the effort to get to the restaurants by 6pm every night so never had to wait. I know if we go later it's a long wait as there was usually a large crowd waiting when we were leaving each night. For late night food the sports bar is open all night and they have a cook there making burgers, fries and other sandwiches on the late night menu, just what's needed after a long night of drinking and partying.

Every night we spent time at the main infinity bar which always had a lot of people hanging out in that area and most nights we even made it to the dance club which was not bad when I compared to "clubs" at other all inclusive resorts. I also have to mention Miss Lou's which was just to the side of the infinity bar, they're open during the day and into the night and they serve all the espresso type drinks you would want along with a more top shelf bar selection and a nice selection of desserts and small snack sandwiches, nice place to grab and go or just hang out in the AC if the open air bar gets too hot.

I do want to say I tip, I bring a lot of $1 bills and that's all I carry around in my pockets at the resort. I tip our maid a few dollars a day and food servers and bar tenders, it may or may not help get better service but these people work hard to make sure we have a good time and I want to acknowledge them for the effort. Even without tipping all the staff we dealt with were always very friendly and many went out of their way to ask how our vacation was going and if we were enjoying the resort. This was my 3rd trip to Jamaica and I had a great time at the Grand Palladium, I would recommend to others and I would consider returning in the future.

Room Tip: Building 11 is the closest to the main lobby/building where all the restaurants are located and main...
6  Thank GdayNY

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.

Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand Palladium between April 16-26 and found it to be lovely. Just what we had wanted. We had a Jr. Suite that faced the ocean with the most beautiful unobstructed sunset view.

When we arrived at GP it was late in the evening so we didn't see what the resort was really like until the next day. The air conditioning in our room lacked a bit but we called and they sent someone to repair it (lets just say it wasn't the same as A/C in Canada but we aren't 30 degrees celsius everyday). We awoke to a beautiful day and prepared for a day at the gigantic swimming pool. There were a ton of "tiki huts" or palm leaf covered umbrellas and chairs to lay out on and a ton of chairs for those who want to sun themselves. We did both but got burnt in the sun (beware even if you have sunscreen and a hat). The pool was fabulous! The bar in the pool was even better. The partially submerged in water chairs that you see in the photos are lovely too but I call them the "sunburn chairs" and they are just that. The bartenders at the pool bars are great and all very friendly. One bad thing I noticed was other women walking around in the pool washrooms with no shoes on! Nasty. The pool washrooms are cleaned a number of times a day but some people are dripping wet when enter the washroom and can't pee into the toilet so as you can imagine not wearing shoes in there is like walking around in the cat litter box. Wear your shoes into the washrooms people! The POP were awesome and always having a blast. I have to really hand it to them, for the hours they work they do an exceptional job! I truly hope they are greatly compensated for all they do. The Roselle pool is deep and not really a great pool for kids unless they have a floaty and are strong swimmers.

Onto the food. The buffet was average buffet food. What can you really expect from buffet. The blue lagoon buffet was our fave. It wasn't as busy and you had a nice ocean view/breeze most days but you put up with the birds. Not a big deal for us. Bubba's Grill was good but took a long time to get our food. It wasn't Alberta beef either but it was decent. Our daughter loved the buffalo wings with no buffalo sauce and the steak but she is just a picky eater. The italian restaurant was great. The kids mozza sticks were yummy and they advertised them at all the al la carte places but only had them at Reggaetoni's. The Mexican was good too and you can get steak there too and its less busy there than Bubba's Grill (steakhouse). Poseidon's was my fave but is only open for lunch. The food was great and it was just up from sunset beach. A little bit of a walk but worth it and you can always take a taxi. The sports bar was the worst of them all. The drinks were good if you could get one in 20 minutes or more. The service was terrible and the food was nasty! I almost chipped a tooth on a french fry! The A/C was non-existent there, so be forewarned. The other restaurants we didn't eat at. If your child likes sweet and sour sauce or plum sauce on their chicken nuggets then bring some. They don't have it there.

The infinity bar is typically where we ended up at night. The chairs are comfy and really a nice place to hang out. We would get desert from Miss Lou's and go sit in the infinity bar and have drink. If you sit out on the terrace the service lacks so beware of that. The breeze is really nice on the terrace. They have live music most nights but it doesn't start until 10ish or 9:30 island time so by that time we were usually ready to go back to our room. There is a "all white party" where you are supposed to wear all white in the infinity bar (can't remember what day) so bring some white clothes. We didn't attend but only because we were too tired to stay awake.

Last but not least are the beaches. We only went to 2 of 3 because of our daughter (didn't go to the adult beach). Las Brisas is rocky and man made and I would recommend you wear water shoes. On our last day there a lady cut her foot on a shell or coral. Sunset beach is good though we didn't watch the sunset there (it was best from our room). There are great snorkeling areas and a ton of water sports to do. Get there early for shade though (like 8am). They say you can't "reserve a spot" but we quickly found out people do anyway. Keep an eye out for wildlife such as crab both on the beach and off. They bury themselves in the sand and are really fast (cute though). They also have larger crab on the grounds. We call them "burrowing land crab" as they make a hole similar to a gopher and will come out later in the afternoon when it starts to get cooler. They are super fast too and they are all different colors. We saw blue, red and yellowish white. There are small lizards too that hang in the bushes. There is a distinctive chirping sound that you hear at night that comes from toads. It took us a few days to get used to it. One toad came to visit us on our balcony and to clean up the little bugs that were lurking. We appreciated that. I didn't see any gigantic spiders (thank gawd) but there were some little jumping ones. They are really fast but we have them in Canada too so not a big deal.

Whatever you do go see some shows. They are awesome! I can't say enough about the People of Palladium. They put on a hell-of-a-show. Its hot in the theater though so men bring shorts! Keep in mind the entire resort is open air concept except most of the restaurants but its 30 degrees celsuis out with humidity of 40.

Hope this helps in your search for a vacation spot. Keep in mind a vacation is what you make it and everyones opinion will differ. I will go back to GP Jamaica!

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Mitch110

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I just returned from 5 days at the Grand Palladium. The property is lovely and clean, the service was impeccable,the food was very good. We arrived early for check in, but were given our identification bracelets to have lunch and use the facilities if we chose. We were greeted by smiling and friendly service providers, all encouraging us to have a good time. My husband and I are "foodies", generally hard to please, but the variety and quality of the food used was very good in every venue we tried. The drinks were fine as well...yes if you drink beer, only Red Stripe is available, but we had numerous types of mixed drinks with no complaints on quality. Top shelf alcoholic beverages are accessible in "Miss Lou" bar most of the day along with great expresso and coffee, pastries, sandwiches and other treats. We ate at many of the restaurants on property and had no issues with poor service or unfriendly staff. Appropriate dress varies in the restaurants, the upstairs themed restaurants requiring men to wear shirts and long pants, but their are plenty of other eating options if you don't want to get dressed up. The staff works very hard to make the guests comfortable and are truly appreciative of a small gratuity, but no one waited for or expected a tip As mentioned by others, take at least 50 one dollar bills to give to staff as respect for their hard work..They deserve it! When you do tip, many will give you a fist bump and say "respect". We did tip our servers at lunch and dinner more ($5). Sill a great bargain for the service received. Our room was lovely as well. We had booked a junior suite at the Grand Palladium, but were given one on the Lady Hamilton side with a lovely sea view. We had no issues in getting to any of the areas we wanted to access on the resort, but you can call for a golf cart to get you to areas as needed. The maid service was excellent as well and unlike some previous reviewers we had a very clean bathroom. Areas that could be improved were the AC...although it was cool, you could not get the room comfortable unless you used the ceiling fan and turned the temp on the AC control to 50 degrees. My husband also suggested that sake should be on the restaurant menu at the " Lotus " Asian restaurant. The pool area can also get quite noisy, but there are many other options for those looking for a more quiet venue. We spent a lot of time at the adult pool at the spa. My husband also had a massage at the spa and said the service there was excellent as well. All in all, it was a fabulous vacation. Perhaps those who complained that they never got a smile or a thank you never showed one themselves! We will returning next year. As an all exclusive, it is great for families and couples.

Room Tip: ask for an upper floor with a sea view
4  Thank sbostons

Dear sharamar,

Reviewed April 30, 2013

This resort was very beautiful. Long staircase from the lobby.The architect and foliage were just beautiful.Breathtaking sunsets while having drinks on this beautiful outdoor balcony. Supposedly the biggest pool and resort in Jamaica. Dining outdoors was nice. The individual villas were beautiful, with a little pond and foliage in the foyer before you go to your rooms.They were 3 stories, and each floor had 12 rooms. Since this is a huge facility because it is combined with Lady Hamilton they have little carts to bring you back and forth to the beach, rooms and this was a big plus. This resort is rated a 5 star but I would give it a 3 due to the service and long waits to the restaurant.

But we had a few issues. When we checked in the girl didn't greet us like "Welcome to Jamaica", she never smiled, wasn't friendly and just had an attitude like she didn't feel like working.

The pool was huge, but on one side of the pool the jacuzzi's weren't working. The maintenance men were working in the pool while people were in it. Cleaning the tiles of the pool with chemicals????

Our 2 bedroom suite - 1 was for my husband and I, the other was for our 3 daughters. They were very spacious but there were a few bathroom issues. Our first night my daughter took a shower, well there was no sealer on the shower door and there was water everywhere in the bathroom. I called for maintenance to mop it and also needed more towels (since we were a party of 5). I had to call at least 5 or 6 times before anyone showed up. (2 hours to be exact- from 4:30 to 6:30). So now my husband and 2 other daughters could not take a shower since my daughter used them to sop up all of the water in the bathroom. My 15 year old daughter did not go on vacation to clean up a water spill. So needless to say we had to rush to take showers, get dressed to go to dinner. Well we didn't go to the show that night because it was too late. Our bathroom had an outlet plug with wires hanging out. They gave us only 1 terrycloth bathrobe not 2, water bottles weren't thrown away on a daily basis. Sometimes not enough towels.

The buffets service wasn't that great. They are not too friendly. You have to say hello or good morning first. When coffee is served you get your coffee. Excuse me may I have sugar, they bring you the sugar, excuse me can I have a spoon, they bring you the spoon. My husband was getting so frustrated every morning. Why can't they set the table properly and have sugar on each table, and replace your silverware once you go back to the buffets.But I do have to say that the service in the dining room restaurants were much better and friendlier. Every night we would have to wait at least 45-60 minutes to get in. Maybe it was the time of year. Spring break and 3-4 weddings a day. The Italian restaurant Ragaaetoni was very good along with Bubba's steak house. The Japanese was also good with a very nice decor. We didn't care for the Poseiden Fish restaurant. Ordered crab cakes and got the imitation crab. Seafood soup was like a consomme. Throught the day when you are drinking they did not have premium liquor. It was mainly local rums and liquors. I have to say the nightly shows were nice and family oriented.

The Beach....Was a little dissapointed in the beach. Very small and I thought the sand would be nicer. Now this resort is on a penisula so you cannot walk miles and miles along the shore. We did have fun going on the kyaks, paddle boats. The aerobics were a lot of fun thanks to N-Tune we had a lot of fun with him.

One day we took a private taxi to Negril beach. They took us to Margaritaville.Vendors galore bothering you that you cannot be relaxed on the beach. Lots of people trying to braid your hair, go jet skiing, selling fruit and also funny stuff to smoke. They smoke right in front of you. Then we went to Rick's Cafe very famous bar and known for the cliff divers so this was nice. The girls even dove into the water from a little platform not a cliff.

I do have to say the Roan the manager help us immensely with all of our issues, Rockeisha from Apple Vacation was also very nice and accommodating. If it wasn't for them helping us our vacation would have been much worse.

So overall there was good and bad to this vacation. Would I return? I don't think so. Not for anything bt we loved Punta Cana....very very friendly people, great beaches and excellent food!
Sorry Mon!!!

Room Tip: We were in Villa 20 1st floor rooms 2007/2008 and have no complaints but if you want to be close to...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bilasi
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear bilasi,

Thank you for your review and for your good coments about the property, the sunsets, the rooms and the villas..

In reference your comments about our front desk staff, I would like to apologize for the experience that you had with her. We will take actions to improve our service in that area.

Concerning our restaurants a la carte, we have the system “first come first served” with no reservations, to offer more possibilities to our guests, when the restaurant is full we give a pager and we call as soon as a table is liberated, so the costumer is free to be at the bar, lobby or other places until a table is ready. Also the restaurants use to be full just during the peak hour, therefore, most part of the guests go dinner as soon as they arrive.

We do have a premium bar open from 10am to 12 pm every day with Premium drinks; is conveniently located in the center of our Resort overlooking our main pool.

I am unsure about your beach comments. We do have three of the best beaches of Jamaica at our resort and majority of our guests would differ with you on your opinion. We are proud to inform we are one of the few Hotels who have earned the Blue Flag certification which speaks directly to natural, clean and healthy beaches.

We will nonetheless include your concerns in our briefings in an effort to continuously improve our service and product. We take our guest’s comments very seriously.

I would appreciate hearing from you before you make your next plans to return to Jamaica if you decide to come back here. I am positive that we can make your next vacation an unforgettable experience.

Best regards,

Assistant Room Division Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!