“Great resort, wonderful service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Staten Island, New York
“Great resort, wonderful service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We just stayed at Grand Palladium Jamaica April 22-28 and we had a great time. We were there to attend a wedding so GP was where we were going no matter what but I did get a little worried after reading some of the reviews. I have to say our room and the service we received from all employees was excellent. We arrived late in the evening and I was already prepared to deal with a limited check-in staff but that was not the case, we were greeted by group of friendly bell hops and check-in agent who had all our info ready to go and they even had me set up for the building/room type I had requested by email a week earlier (building 11, king bed suite with ocean view). I was fine with the pillows but they do offer other options for a fee. Our room was cleaned fully everyday, towels replaced daily, drinks in the fridge restocked daily, the drink guy would always give extra when I asked (if I wasn't already laying out by the pool). I don't remember her name but we did see our cleaning lady almost daily either in our room or other rooms in the villa and she was as nice as could be and did a great job with our room.

I'm usually a beach person at these types of resorts but the main pool at the Grand Palladium was amazing and it was our main hangout spot most days but we did venture over to the beaches a few times especially to do some kayaking. The beaches closer to the main pool are rocky but sunset cove beach was nicer for going in the water without any shoes/sandals and the jerk chicken hut is located at sunset cove beach along with all the water sports/boats. The main pool has three bars so you're covered for drinks in and out of the water and the POP team has activities going on around the main pool area all day long, dancing lessons, volley ball, aerobics classes, drinking games, trivia contests, etc. All the pools and beaches have more than enough lounge chairs so it's never an issue to find a spot.

For lunch and dinner we always ate at the buffets (3 buffets) or lunch at the jerk hut if we were in that area. For an all inclusive I have to say the buffet food for breakfast and lunch was very good (never tried buffet for dinner). One day for lunch I had fried whole red snapper, really good. For dinner we tried the Asian, Jamaican, Mexican, sea food and steak house, all were excellent and we made the effort to get to the restaurants by 6pm every night so never had to wait. I know if we go later it's a long wait as there was usually a large crowd waiting when we were leaving each night. For late night food the sports bar is open all night and they have a cook there making burgers, fries and other sandwiches on the late night menu, just what's needed after a long night of drinking and partying.

Every night we spent time at the main infinity bar which always had a lot of people hanging out in that area and most nights we even made it to the dance club which was not bad when I compared to "clubs" at other all inclusive resorts. I also have to mention Miss Lou's which was just to the side of the infinity bar, they're open during the day and into the night and they serve all the espresso type drinks you would want along with a more top shelf bar selection and a nice selection of desserts and small snack sandwiches, nice place to grab and go or just hang out in the AC if the open air bar gets too hot.

I do want to say I tip, I bring a lot of $1 bills and that's all I carry around in my pockets at the resort. I tip our maid a few dollars a day and food servers and bar tenders, it may or may not help get better service but these people work hard to make sure we have a good time and I want to acknowledge them for the effort. Even without tipping all the staff we dealt with were always very friendly and many went out of their way to ask how our vacation was going and if we were enjoying the resort. This was my 3rd trip to Jamaica and I had a great time at the Grand Palladium, I would recommend to others and I would consider returning in the future.

Room Tip: Building 11 is the closest to the main lobby/building where all the restaurants are located and main...
6 Thank GdayNY
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,758)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand Palladium between April 16-26 and found it to be lovely. Just what we had wanted. We had a Jr. Suite that faced the ocean with the most beautiful unobstructed sunset view.

When we arrived at GP it was late in the evening so we didn't see what the resort was really like until the next day. The air conditioning in our room lacked a bit but we called and they sent someone to repair it (lets just say it wasn't the same as A/C in Canada but we aren't 30 degrees celsius everyday). We awoke to a beautiful day and prepared for a day at the gigantic swimming pool. There were a ton of "tiki huts" or palm leaf covered umbrellas and chairs to lay out on and a ton of chairs for those who want to sun themselves. We did both but got burnt in the sun (beware even if you have sunscreen and a hat). The pool was fabulous! The bar in the pool was even better. The partially submerged in water chairs that you see in the photos are lovely too but I call them the "sunburn chairs" and they are just that. The bartenders at the pool bars are great and all very friendly. One bad thing I noticed was other women walking around in the pool washrooms with no shoes on! Nasty. The pool washrooms are cleaned a number of times a day but some people are dripping wet when enter the washroom and can't pee into the toilet so as you can imagine not wearing shoes in there is like walking around in the cat litter box. Wear your shoes into the washrooms people! The POP were awesome and always having a blast. I have to really hand it to them, for the hours they work they do an exceptional job! I truly hope they are greatly compensated for all they do. The Roselle pool is deep and not really a great pool for kids unless they have a floaty and are strong swimmers.

Onto the food. The buffet was average buffet food. What can you really expect from buffet. The blue lagoon buffet was our fave. It wasn't as busy and you had a nice ocean view/breeze most days but you put up with the birds. Not a big deal for us. Bubba's Grill was good but took a long time to get our food. It wasn't Alberta beef either but it was decent. Our daughter loved the buffalo wings with no buffalo sauce and the steak but she is just a picky eater. The italian restaurant was great. The kids mozza sticks were yummy and they advertised them at all the al la carte places but only had them at Reggaetoni's. The Mexican was good too and you can get steak there too and its less busy there than Bubba's Grill (steakhouse). Poseidon's was my fave but is only open for lunch. The food was great and it was just up from sunset beach. A little bit of a walk but worth it and you can always take a taxi. The sports bar was the worst of them all. The drinks were good if you could get one in 20 minutes or more. The service was terrible and the food was nasty! I almost chipped a tooth on a french fry! The A/C was non-existent there, so be forewarned. The other restaurants we didn't eat at. If your child likes sweet and sour sauce or plum sauce on their chicken nuggets then bring some. They don't have it there.

The infinity bar is typically where we ended up at night. The chairs are comfy and really a nice place to hang out. We would get desert from Miss Lou's and go sit in the infinity bar and have drink. If you sit out on the terrace the service lacks so beware of that. The breeze is really nice on the terrace. They have live music most nights but it doesn't start until 10ish or 9:30 island time so by that time we were usually ready to go back to our room. There is a "all white party" where you are supposed to wear all white in the infinity bar (can't remember what day) so bring some white clothes. We didn't attend but only because we were too tired to stay awake.

Last but not least are the beaches. We only went to 2 of 3 because of our daughter (didn't go to the adult beach). Las Brisas is rocky and man made and I would recommend you wear water shoes. On our last day there a lady cut her foot on a shell or coral. Sunset beach is good though we didn't watch the sunset there (it was best from our room). There are great snorkeling areas and a ton of water sports to do. Get there early for shade though (like 8am). They say you can't "reserve a spot" but we quickly found out people do anyway. Keep an eye out for wildlife such as crab both on the beach and off. They bury themselves in the sand and are really fast (cute though). They also have larger crab on the grounds. We call them "burrowing land crab" as they make a hole similar to a gopher and will come out later in the afternoon when it starts to get cooler. They are super fast too and they are all different colors. We saw blue, red and yellowish white. There are small lizards too that hang in the bushes. There is a distinctive chirping sound that you hear at night that comes from toads. It took us a few days to get used to it. One toad came to visit us on our balcony and to clean up the little bugs that were lurking. We appreciated that. I didn't see any gigantic spiders (thank gawd) but there were some little jumping ones. They are really fast but we have them in Canada too so not a big deal.

Whatever you do go see some shows. They are awesome! I can't say enough about the People of Palladium. They put on a hell-of-a-show. Its hot in the theater though so men bring shorts! Keep in mind the entire resort is open air concept except most of the restaurants but its 30 degrees celsuis out with humidity of 40.

Hope this helps in your search for a vacation spot. Keep in mind a vacation is what you make it and everyones opinion will differ. I will go back to GP Jamaica!

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Mitch110
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I just returned from 5 days at the Grand Palladium. The property is lovely and clean, the service was impeccable,the food was very good. We arrived early for check in, but were given our identification bracelets to have lunch and use the facilities if we chose. We were greeted by smiling and friendly service providers, all encouraging us to have a good time. My husband and I are "foodies", generally hard to please, but the variety and quality of the food used was very good in every venue we tried. The drinks were fine as well...yes if you drink beer, only Red Stripe is available, but we had numerous types of mixed drinks with no complaints on quality. Top shelf alcoholic beverages are accessible in "Miss Lou" bar most of the day along with great expresso and coffee, pastries, sandwiches and other treats. We ate at many of the restaurants on property and had no issues with poor service or unfriendly staff. Appropriate dress varies in the restaurants, the upstairs themed restaurants requiring men to wear shirts and long pants, but their are plenty of other eating options if you don't want to get dressed up. The staff works very hard to make the guests comfortable and are truly appreciative of a small gratuity, but no one waited for or expected a tip As mentioned by others, take at least 50 one dollar bills to give to staff as respect for their hard work..They deserve it! When you do tip, many will give you a fist bump and say "respect". We did tip our servers at lunch and dinner more ($5). Sill a great bargain for the service received. Our room was lovely as well. We had booked a junior suite at the Grand Palladium, but were given one on the Lady Hamilton side with a lovely sea view. We had no issues in getting to any of the areas we wanted to access on the resort, but you can call for a golf cart to get you to areas as needed. The maid service was excellent as well and unlike some previous reviewers we had a very clean bathroom. Areas that could be improved were the AC...although it was cool, you could not get the room comfortable unless you used the ceiling fan and turned the temp on the AC control to 50 degrees. My husband also suggested that sake should be on the restaurant menu at the " Lotus " Asian restaurant. The pool area can also get quite noisy, but there are many other options for those looking for a more quiet venue. We spent a lot of time at the adult pool at the spa. My husband also had a massage at the spa and said the service there was excellent as well. All in all, it was a fabulous vacation. Perhaps those who complained that they never got a smile or a thank you never showed one themselves! We will returning next year. As an all exclusive, it is great for families and couples.

Room Tip: ask for an upper floor with a sea view
4 Thank sbostons
Dear sharamar,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.
ansonia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

This resort was very beautiful. Long staircase from the lobby.The architect and foliage were just beautiful.Breathtaking sunsets while having drinks on this beautiful outdoor balcony. Supposedly the biggest pool and resort in Jamaica. Dining outdoors was nice. The individual villas were beautiful, with a little pond and foliage in the foyer before you go to your rooms.They were 3 stories, and each floor had 12 rooms. Since this is a huge facility because it is combined with Lady Hamilton they have little carts to bring you back and forth to the beach, rooms and this was a big plus. This resort is rated a 5 star but I would give it a 3 due to the service and long waits to the restaurant.

But we had a few issues. When we checked in the girl didn't greet us like "Welcome to Jamaica", she never smiled, wasn't friendly and just had an attitude like she didn't feel like working.

The pool was huge, but on one side of the pool the jacuzzi's weren't working. The maintenance men were working in the pool while people were in it. Cleaning the tiles of the pool with chemicals????

Our 2 bedroom suite - 1 was for my husband and I, the other was for our 3 daughters. They were very spacious but there were a few bathroom issues. Our first night my daughter took a shower, well there was no sealer on the shower door and there was water everywhere in the bathroom. I called for maintenance to mop it and also needed more towels (since we were a party of 5). I had to call at least 5 or 6 times before anyone showed up. (2 hours to be exact- from 4:30 to 6:30). So now my husband and 2 other daughters could not take a shower since my daughter used them to sop up all of the water in the bathroom. My 15 year old daughter did not go on vacation to clean up a water spill. So needless to say we had to rush to take showers, get dressed to go to dinner. Well we didn't go to the show that night because it was too late. Our bathroom had an outlet plug with wires hanging out. They gave us only 1 terrycloth bathrobe not 2, water bottles weren't thrown away on a daily basis. Sometimes not enough towels.

The buffets service wasn't that great. They are not too friendly. You have to say hello or good morning first. When coffee is served you get your coffee. Excuse me may I have sugar, they bring you the sugar, excuse me can I have a spoon, they bring you the spoon. My husband was getting so frustrated every morning. Why can't they set the table properly and have sugar on each table, and replace your silverware once you go back to the buffets.But I do have to say that the service in the dining room restaurants were much better and friendlier. Every night we would have to wait at least 45-60 minutes to get in. Maybe it was the time of year. Spring break and 3-4 weddings a day. The Italian restaurant Ragaaetoni was very good along with Bubba's steak house. The Japanese was also good with a very nice decor. We didn't care for the Poseiden Fish restaurant. Ordered crab cakes and got the imitation crab. Seafood soup was like a consomme. Throught the day when you are drinking they did not have premium liquor. It was mainly local rums and liquors. I have to say the nightly shows were nice and family oriented.

The Beach....Was a little dissapointed in the beach. Very small and I thought the sand would be nicer. Now this resort is on a penisula so you cannot walk miles and miles along the shore. We did have fun going on the kyaks, paddle boats. The aerobics were a lot of fun thanks to N-Tune we had a lot of fun with him.

One day we took a private taxi to Negril beach. They took us to Margaritaville.Vendors galore bothering you that you cannot be relaxed on the beach. Lots of people trying to braid your hair, go jet skiing, selling fruit and also funny stuff to smoke. They smoke right in front of you. Then we went to Rick's Cafe very famous bar and known for the cliff divers so this was nice. The girls even dove into the water from a little platform not a cliff.

I do have to say the Roan the manager help us immensely with all of our issues, Rockeisha from Apple Vacation was also very nice and accommodating. If it wasn't for them helping us our vacation would have been much worse.

So overall there was good and bad to this vacation. Would I return? I don't think so. Not for anything bt we loved Punta Cana....very very friendly people, great beaches and excellent food!
Sorry Mon!!!

Room Tip: We were in Villa 20 1st floor rooms 2007/2008 and have no complaints but if you want to be close to...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bilasi
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear bilasi,

Thank you for your review and for your good coments about the property, the sunsets, the rooms and the villas..

In reference your comments about our front desk staff, I would like to apologize for the experience that you had with her. We will take actions to improve our service in that area.

Concerning our restaurants a la carte, we have the system “first come first served” with no reservations, to offer more possibilities to our guests, when the restaurant is full we give a pager and we call as soon as a table is liberated, so the costumer is free to be at the bar, lobby or other places until a table is ready. Also the restaurants use to be full just during the peak hour, therefore, most part of the guests go dinner as soon as they arrive.

We do have a premium bar open from 10am to 12 pm every day with Premium drinks; is conveniently located in the center of our Resort overlooking our main pool.

I am unsure about your beach comments. We do have three of the best beaches of Jamaica at our resort and majority of our guests would differ with you on your opinion. We are proud to inform we are one of the few Hotels who have earned the Blue Flag certification which speaks directly to natural, clean and healthy beaches.

We will nonetheless include your concerns in our briefings in an effort to continuously improve our service and product. We take our guest’s comments very seriously.

I would appreciate hearing from you before you make your next plans to return to Jamaica if you decide to come back here. I am positive that we can make your next vacation an unforgettable experience.

Best regards,

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director
Olathe, Kansas, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

We just returned from the Grand Palladium last Thursday, April 24, 2013. Trust the negative reviews if you want luxury or pain free vacation. If you have never been to another all inclusive resort, there is a chance you just don't know what you are missing. Everyone in our group had been to a real 5-star resort, and this one wouldn't capture a 3-star rating if every reviewed again. The drinks in the room consisted of two beers. The shower had stuff growing and didn't drain. The service was dreadful. One of the couples in our group couldn't get into their room unassisted until Day #3. True premium drinks were extra in the gift shop, or at one bar on the property that was only available at night and when dressed appropriately. No drink menus anywhere, despite website promotion. Had to ask for specific alcohol by name, or they always go cheap and pour with their back towards you. Never once heard thank you in 6 days. Smiles and speaking was rare by staff. There was one white and one red wine available, all of the others were at an additional fee. Not welcomed upon arrival. Nurse or medical staff is truly not there 24/7 as advertised. If you really wanted medical attention, there was a fee. Food was less than mediocre, nothing you would ever pay for alone. On the positive side, the view was amazing, but it didn't make up for the rest. This place was much cheaper than most 5-star resorts, that is a given. But, it simply is not a 5-star, 4-star or even 3-star resort.

1 Thank Robert W
Dear Robert W,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to describe your last vacation in Grand Palladium Jamaica.

We always try to meet our customers expectations so I am so sorry if this was not the case.
We have wonderful staff and services so I do apologize if we didn't do our best to provide the best vacation.

We have Managers on duty 24h per day so it really would have helped to know about any inconvenience during your stay. All reports help us to understand what our guests need or want from their vacation. I will take note about the issues that you mentioned in your report.

If you decide to change your mind it would be a pleasure to meet you if you visit us.

Thank you for your attention.

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director
west midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

having recently stayed at this fantastic hotel it was let down by the fact that you had to queue for all the al la carte restaurants which was very disappointing and not what you would expect for a 5 star hotel, our longest wait was an hour and forty mins shortest forty five mins the food in all was great but the waiting awful we even stated going out early so we could get a table
the buffet restaurants were great and the fish restaurant at lunch time excellent all the staff are extremely friendly and very helpful, Mark and Kevon in the bar where the shows are held are great nothing ever too much trouble
the hotel is fantastic and the views when you enter are breath taking
our room had all the facilities we required and the maid service and room cleanliness was very good
on the whole we had a great time but as I said the queues for restaurants took the shine off for us
we also did not find the staff to be very helpful in the infinity bar hence we did not go there often
the spa was fabulous and we spent most afternoons there

Room Tip: we were in block 38 which is opposite the spa and only a short walk to the facilities and was quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

From the moment we arrived we received poor customer service. I was travelling with my Aunt and the front desk wanted to give us a King with a pull out couch. We had booked our trip 3+ months in advance and requested 2 beds. I woman that was checking us in was rude and didn't want to accommodate our request. Finally we were able to convince her to give us a room with 2 beds. We were taken to our room where we immediately noticed that the bathroom wasn't clean and the couch was so dirty we didn't even want to put our luggage on it. We walked back to the front desk and spoke to a gentleman and explained we were not happy with the condition of our room. He too didn't seem to care that we were paying good money to stay at this hotel. Finally he agreed to send housekeeping back to our room. When we went back there was a blanket over the couch but the bathroom still wasn't clean. We complained again about the bathroom. Finally the shower was clean. However, we noticed that the maid for the remainder of our trip never cleaned the bathroom again. Not once were we given an apology nor any retribution for our inconvenience.
The service at this hotel is atrocious. You had to wait to be seated even though there were multiple empty tables. We you would ask the hostess how long the wait would be you would receive instant attitude from them. There are 7 restaurants and this occurred in each one. The food was subpar at best. This hotel boasts a 5 star rating. They barely are a 3 star in my point of view.
The hotel has two redeeming qualities their pool is amazing as well as their grounds.

Room Tip: I would advise choosing another Hotel in Jamaica
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tara R
FiestaJamaica, Public Relations Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Tara R,

At the outset, we want to thank you for having chosen to vacation with us on your recent visit to Jamaica.

We have always pride ourselves at having one of the best staff compliments that can be found in the service industry, and for this reason we do regret hearing that your experience upon check-in was below satisfactory.
As for the room and its cleanliness, please be assured that this is not the standard which we enforce, and so are very thankful that you have taken the time to complete this review. It does give us an opportunity to take the necessary steps to avoid same from recurring.

We have taken notice of all your comments, and at the same time are happy to know that your found our pool and the grounds quite pleasurable.

Our humblest apology once again and thank you for your comments.

Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,783 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!