“Just not "all that"”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Franklin, Tennessee
“Just not "all that"”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

First off let me say that we booked through Cheap Caribbean and could not have been more satisfied with everything that they could control! We will definitely use them again.
Now on to the hotel...it was just not that great - the staff fussed and quarreled with each other at every meal - especially if you cam late to the buffet. The a la carte dining was a struggle to get in because we were not members of their "travel club". We stayed 4 nights and never got into the grill steak place. The best meal we had was at the Poseidon and we had to catch a ride to get there - the resort is HUGE and split into 2 separate sections - but even with the separation, everyone shares the same eating places. There is no room service - and you literally have to ask over and over again for anything out of the ordinary, case in point - trying to get extra diet cokes in place of Red Stripe beer in the mini bar took me tracking down the guy that does the stocking after placing 2 calls a day to their so-called "guest services" what a joke that was. We were leaving for the day on a trip and needed change for tips - at 8:30 in the morning they didn't even have any change at the cashier. The rooms are average at best, with no rugs on the floor so when they get slick from the condensation your are very apt to slip and fall on some very hard tile. Our room stayed damp the entire time!
Now for the beach...or lack of it - i stepped off 25 ft of actual beach - once reaching the water you have about 10 feet before it becomes rocky and impossible to walk on without water shoes.
Our villa was located almost a quarter mile from the lobby, pool and eating areas which was not explained in any of the hotel details and there are guys walking around at all ours of the day - what a surprise to wake up and pull back the curtains to look out at the water to see some guy 10 feet away looking right at you.
There are far better and less expensive places to stay in Jamaica - we will not be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the villas in the 20's (closer to the pool) or on the Lady Hamilton side (beac...
3 Thank Darman W
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Darman W,

Thank you for your review. We apologize for your negative impression of our property. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service and we will certainly be looking into the observations which you have made with a view to taking corrective action.

In reference the situation that you had with our “A la carte” restaurants, I would like to apologize for the experience that you had with them. We have the system “first come first served” with no reservations, to offer more possibilities to our guests, when the restaurant is full we give a pager and we call as soon as a table is liberated, so the costumer is free to be at the bar, lobby or other places until a table is ready. Also the restaurants use to be full just during the peak hour, therefore, most part of the guests go dinner as soon as they arrive.

We are proud to inform we are one of the few Hotels who have earned the Blue Flag certification which speaks directly to natural, clean and healthy beaches. It is also difficult to understand how you felt dissatisfied with our beaches.

We will nonetheless include your concerns in our briefings in an effort to continuously improve our service and product.
Thank you for having stayed with us.

Best regards,

Assistant Room Division Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,813)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I were blown away by this resort! By far the most beautiful resort we have visited with stunning ocean views from all areas. Our room was ocean view, mere meters from the ocean and I enjoyed spending early mornings sipping coffee and reading while taking in the view. The Blue Lagoon buffet was a great find on Day 2 and we spent our Breakfast and Lunch buffets overlooking the pool and ocean. A la carte food was delicious, especially Bubba's steak house, and though there was generally a wait for a table, you were given a buzzer and we went to the bar overlooking the ocean to have a drink. We can't wait to return!
The only complaint I have is that I didn't always feel that the customer service was top rate. The front desk and some wait staff in the restaurants weren't necessarily rude, but not overly friendly either.
Definitely recommend to all!

Room Tip: Try and try again for ocean view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Laura S
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for sharing your review. We are elated that your stay with us was a wonderful one with memorable experiences.

We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations and the delicious meals which you had at the Blue lagoon buffet and Bubbas steak house.

As there is always room for improvement, we will take your comments about customer service into consideration as our aim is to always satisfy our guests.

We would love to host you once more in the future as it was our pleasure having you stay with us on this visit.

Best Wishes.
calgary
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I spent six days here between March 24 and March 30, 2013 and had a great time. It pays to do some reading up about a place before you go and this is especially true about a property this huge where you could easily miss half of it if you don't know where to look.

Check in was easy and fast. In fact we did not stand in a line for longer than five minutes for any reason anywhere on this property and least of all at the breakfast buffet. Due to its size it did not feel crowded at all despite being near or at capacity. The main pool is grand,clean and absolutely huge. I never had any problem finding a chair at any pool at any time of day. The small relaxation pool was very a cool place to hang out although most people did not seem to know it was there. Generally the entire property is very picturesque.I took a lot of photos there.

The staff was great. It amazes me that people would say otherwise. I was not asked for a tip once but then I tipped without being asked and received friendly service everywhere. The main man made beach is what it is. Not great. The natural beach at Sunset Cove was much better and offered decent snorkeling from shore.We brought our own equipment but only got to use it once before the sea got too rough later in the week. I have read several reviews written by people who do not seem to know this beach exists.

To quickly cover off some of the more outlandish claims made by some of this properties detractors, there are no herds of stray cats. Lay off the ganja. Staff entering the room while you are there and staff calling the room all the time? Uh....no, did not experience anything like that. The main beach did suffer from litter but this is more a comment on the guests than the hotel. There was no shortage of unused garbage cans. I do not understand why some people think that staying at an AI resort somehow means it is okay to litter. I witnessed one annoying dude with a New York accent I will call Daddy Guido. Daddy Guido was very upset about one of the many pool bars closing an hour early which he called a terrible inconvenience to everyone before tossing his still burning cigarette into the bushes. Blame clowns like him if you see a mess, not the hotel.

The one bedroom suite in building 11 was generally good. I can't imagine a more convenient location. Right next to the lobby and the main pool, with great views off of both balconies. Unfortunately a torrrential rain on Thursday morning revealed some problems. First the balconies do not drain properly and were half covered in big puddles for a day. This would be easy to fix with some additional drains. More importantly the bathroom ceiling dripped during the rain. Some reviewers think this was caused by people on the top floor using their jacuzzi tub and recommend asking for a top floor room but I don't think so. It is connected to the rain so the top floor would be worse not better. After the drip stopped an unpleasant although not overpowering odor began to come from the bathroom. This was at the end of our stay when we were not in the room much anyway so we did not ask to be moved but it marred an otherwise nice stay.

The food at the buffets was fine for buffet food. The a la cartes did not take reservations but we usually walked right in as we eat early. We had to wait ten minutes for the steak house but that was it. The steakhouse and Italian were very good, the Asian good but the Mexican was awful. I mean really how hard would it be to make decent Mexican style rice.

I would probably come back here if the price was right.

3 Thank cowtown112
Central PA
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We returned yesterday from the Grand Palladium. We had a party of 7 (my husband and I, our 3 children and my inlaws) and had booked 3 Jr Suites. I read the reviews prior to booking and was nervous about booking but we got a good deal and the resort fit our needs so we booked. Some of the things that people commented on needing improvement are valid but overall we didnt experience the vast majority of what people complained about. We had a great vacation with a few minor exceptions. I enjoy reading reviews that explain in detail what the travelers experience was so I will return the favor and do the same.
*Check in...We booked transportation through Talk of the Town (very happy with their service) we were greeted by a bellman immediately upon exiting our van. Our bags were taken and we were given a welcome drink. We were the only guests checking in at that time so we had no wait. The gentleman at the front desk was polite but didnt answer some of our questions. He would say "its in there" meaning our room envelope but the information we needed wasnt included. Not a big deal though, we figured most out on our own. Our rooms were ready before the 3pm time that was stated. We were taken in a shuttle to our rooms.
*Rooms...We were in building 25 3rd floor. We liked the location of our building. We didnt have an ocean view but didnt desire to pay extra for one. We were only in our rooms to sleep, shower and for an afternoon nap. Our building was a short walk to the main lobby/pool/etc. The room was as it looked on the website. I have read alot of complaints about the beds/pillows. While they arent the fluffiest, we all slept very good. My son said the pullout sofa wasnt very comfortable but it didnt affect his sleep. The room was clean but had a few areas that needed attended to. Upon entering the bathroom I noticed several black hairs on the side of the bathtub. I didnt expect to clean the bathtub prior to using but was surprised when I turned on the water to see a orangy substance covering the side and bottom. That combined with the hairs prompted me to clean it. The tub was sparkling in no time. The bathroom was spacious and the kids really liked the jacuzzi tub (after I scrubbed it out with clorox wipes) The shower was large and water pressure good. As previously reviewed, the shower door does allow water to run out on the floor. As the floor is tile, it gets very slick so be careful. Vanity area had plenty of room and lighting. The suite is well appointed. Only downside is lack of drawer space. We ended up living out of our suitcases mostly. Balcony was large, private and had 2 chairs and small table. We enjoyed relaxing there in the evening after the kids went to sleep. The electricty went off a few times but wasnt a major issue and was for a very short time.
*Pool...one word, BEAUTIFUL! We liked that there is a shallow end separated by a wall, makes it safer for the little ones to swim. Pool bar was fun. Plenty of chairs, never had a time when we couldnt find chairs. Lots of shade if you desire that too. Our entire family loved the pool area. PoP always had fun games, activities to participate in. If you are bored at the pool, its your own fault.
Food/restaurants...We ate at all restaurants except for Creole,Indian. The food at the buffets was consistent and good. Our favorite was the buffet overlooking the pool. We didnt eat dinner at a buffet so we cant comment on that. We had a party of 7 and from reading previous reviews expected long waits. We ate between 6:30 and 8:30 nightly. The longest wait we had was 10minutes. Pleasantly surprised!
Bubbas- Salad bar was delicious as was our appetizer, entrees. My family all enjoyed their steak.
Italian-We would rate this as good but not great. The location overlooking the pool is wonderful. Our food was good but the service shadowed our experience slightly. The hostess was very rude after we asked for a high chair. She slammed the menus she was holding down and said "so 6 and a baby" and disappeared. She ushered us to a table that clearly was for 4 people. There were places set on 2 table corners and the high chair on the other. We stated that we needed a table to accommidate our party and she pointed to a table of 8 and said "go over there" Why we werent given that in the 1st place is confusing. We noticed that high chairs were consistently placed at the corner of tables. Not only did we not wish for our daughter to have to eat with a table corner poking her in the chest but it was also unsafe. Since the chair stuck out from the table so far, several people tripped on the chair.
Asian-We had a table on the raised platform and it was a fun experience. Our kids really liked sitting on the "floor" to eat. The service was great. Our meals were tasty. Very enjoyable evening.
Mexican-Overall we enjoyed our meals there. Some of my family didnt prefer some dishes but it was more personal taste than the quality of the food. The staff sang happy birthday to my husband and our service was good.
Poseidon-My husband and I ate here for our "date night" The atmosphere was wonderful as was the staff. We had a small wait so we went to the bar, the bartender was very friendly and we had a good time talking to him. He kept his eye on us as when my or my husbands drink was half empty, the waitress would appear with another. The food was ok but it was our least favorite food wise.
Jerk Hut-Yummy!! Even my 2 picky eater girls loved the chicken! I loved the rice the most! The same gentleman was cooking both times we went. He was so nice and friendly!
Entertainment-We enjoyed the shows. My daughter liked the kids show and going up onstage. Only issue we had was at the Jamaica show. The beginning was good but toward the end at the entertainer introduction, the show took a turn to an adult theme. The ladies were boty shaking, making suggestive moves and it was not family appropriate. We took our little girls to the room but other family stayed. My son videod on his phone a dancer flip in front of a guy and land with her crotch in the mans face. She then started grinding on him. Apparently this guy was an employee who was leaving but that behaviour isnt something that should be allowed. If the shows are going to be adult themed, please let the guests know. My 18 year old son had NO complaints :-)
Beaches-Sunset Cove is beautiful and we loved it. We had fun taking out kayaks and watching others tip over in theirs haha The beaches in front of the resort are rocky but beautiful also. It was fun exploring the rocky sections and we loved relaxing on chairs watching the sunset.
Tipping-we never felt pressured to tip. We tipped as we would at home. Just because tips arent required doesnt mean that the staff shouldnt be tipped for doing a good job. All staff except for some bartenders thanked us for the tip which we appreciated.
Spa-My husband and I as well as my inlaws all had massages. Nothing but wonderful things to say about the spa! Quiet environment, great massages, adult only pools/hot tubs...what more could you ask for!

There were a few things we wished were different. One being the mini bar. My inlaws room bar wasnt shocked for 2 days upon our arrival despite several requests. My husband and I (we had 2 rooms for our family of 5) left tips/notes for our maid in both rooms our 1st full day asking for more water. We got 4 bottles but had 5 people. Request not met. Did the same next day, still nly got 4 bottles. We then gave up and didnt leave any daily tips. We always tip at the end of our trip. On our last night we returned from a long day at Sunset Cove eager to shower and relax. We were very disappointed to find that the maid had taken all of our towels (even the ones we hadnt used yet) and left us no towels! This was the case in both of our rooms. My inlaws left a small tip daily and didnt have that issue. I cant be sure if the lack of daily tipping was the reason but I cant help to think it may have been. In the end we still left her a nice tip.
Other issue was the watersports staff. We tried to borrow snorkle equipment one day. The girls working the booth were very nasty and extremely dismissive if you could get them to even acknowledge you.My husband tried for over 4hrs to get equipment to use. Everytime he was told all 10 sets were signed out yet we saw no one using or borrowing/returning snorkel gear. My daughter, having been promised a snorkeling session with her dad was very upset. Myhusband ended up going to the gift shop and purchasing equipment for himself and our daughter to the tune of over $70. I went to sign my form to use the kayaks and had the joy of waiting for one to blow a snot rocket on the ground then continue talking to the other girl. I stood there for almost 5minutes and after saying "excuse me" several times she gave me the form. There is no excuse for that kind of behaviour or treatment of anyone!
The doors slam very loudly. A buffer between the door and door frame would be helpful.

It is not ideal for a disabled person or someone who has trouble walking. You really cant avoid walking a decent distance for anything.

Despite the negative issues I addressed, we really enjoyed the Grand Palladium. It is a beautiful place and offered the rest and relaxation we were seeking. We were asked by another traveler if we would return and we would!!

17 Thank beachluvin
Cohasset, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We fled to the Grand Palladium after a disasterous start to our vacation at a different smaller resort property in Negril. That's another story, but what we fled to find was the level of cleanliness, wide variety of food choices, pools, beaches and entertainment we have become used to at a number of other all inclusives in Mexio and the Caribbean we have stayed over the last few years. The Grand Palladium DELIVERED all of those nicely. I can tell you my family and I breathed a sigh of relief the moment we arrived !! The staff was extremely pleasant and accomodating. The food was never great, but overall and consistently it was good. Though one thing we all agreed was really good was the breads !! There are two large buffet restaurants with a wide variety of food options, and there are 6 or 7 specialty entree restaurants. There was always a restaurant we could get into quickly and easily. One complaint I heard frequently from returning guests was there are no longer reservations being taken at the specialty restaurants. Apparently previously guest could book times in advance, but now all are first come, first serve and the wait at the Italian restaurant for example could be 2 hours. Personally we wouldnt wait that long. It was good but again not great. There are also assorted beach/ pool bars, a coffee cafe, and my personal favorite the excellent jerk hut near the nature beach, REALLY GOOD !!. We loved the different beaches on the property vs. only one big beach. There are multiple separate beaches spread along the shoreline of the resort, all are easily accessible, each a different character, some big, some quite small. Also there are a few smaller more intimate pools in addition to the huge main pool. My wife tried the spa but wasn't happy with it and didn't go back, maybe it was just a bad day. But, be aware the property is huge and very spread out. Getting from one end to the other is a good 20 minutes walking. There are covered pathways most of the way in case of rain or to get out of the sun, plus they do have shuttle carts running around, but it could be more walking than you want so be prepared. Overall it's a safe bet.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Larry L
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The UpSide.....Food was good overall. Buffets and Restaurants. Weather was great 3-18 thru 3-23....People friendly...Pool Areas Clean and plenty of chairs.

Downside....
Beaches..... Rocky and small sand areas
Air Conditioning....Horrible in room (2825 Villa Lady Hamilon side) No A/C in bathroom, toilet mounted too high on wall.
Loud Noise when Doors closed and some loud (night time) frogs in center water foyers outside rooms. Annoying as hell.
A/C in Restaurants not great but passable
Room....little beat up but clean.
Limited Towels, Wash Cloths and Soap
Beverage Choice....ONE Beer (Red Strip)....John Walker Red for Scotch

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank gbfan100
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear gbfan100,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you positive comments about the food, the pools and our wonderful staff.

I am unsure about your beach comments. We do have three of the best beaches at our resort and most of our guests would differ with you on your opinion. Our Sunset Beach is first choice by most of our visitors. Similarly, our Coral Beach is a natural sanctuary with live coral areas for incredible scuba or snorkeling. Our Las Brisas beach is also wonderful and facilitates daily activities to keep our guests entertained.

All our rooms are subject to the same A/C temperatures. We have a central system and unless there is a specific incident of breakdown, you should not have experienced any disruption. If you found your room uncomfortable, we would have been happy to make arrangements for a change.

We do have a premium bar open from 10 am to 12 pm every day. It is conveniently located in the center of our Resort overlooking our main pool and there you can find Premium drinks for everybody.

We invite you to visit in the near future to experience more that our Resort has to offer.
Thank you for having stayed with us.

Best Regards,

Macon, Georgia
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The facilities, rooms, friendliness of staff, and even the grounds keeper and maids were very professional. The grounds are outstanding but if you are in one of the villas, you can call for a cart to pick you up. They are very timely. Food in all the restaurants was outstanding, especially the morning breakfast buffet. Take along some dollar bills so you can tip. Bartenders made sure you were satisfied with your drink. Be cautious of the bartenders and waitress at the tours to Margaritaville and Rick's Cafe in Negril. They will try to cheat you. Just tourist beware. Take exact change and note the price on the menu vice what the waitresses and bartenders charge you. Look forward to my next vacation to the Lady Hamilton.

Room Tip: We were in the Honeymoon Villa, 3093. It is located on the point. When its windy, its very windy t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank yvonneB673
Dear yvonneB673,

Thank you very much for your good comments about our resort and for taking the time to explain your experience with us. It’s a pleasure to realize that you had a great time here, as our aim is to provide memorable vacations to our guests.

I hope you will be able to come back soon to enjoy the Palladium hospitality again.

Thank you again and we look forward for your next visit, and please, do not hesitate to contact us for any request or further comment.

Kindest regards,

Assistant Room Division Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!