Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This was our first trip to Jamaica and it was really nice and relaxing. Rooms are comfortabe and clean no complaints
Food was OK, we enjoyed the steakhouse and jamaican one, the others was not good in our opinion. Buffet ok, no wow with the food,
Entertainment was nice, loved the outside coverd patio bar with live entertainment.
Beach was not nice, man made and super rocky and couldnt go in water cuz of seaweed.
Staff was professional and made us feel like royality.
We enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear tlcgrooms,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your nice comments about the Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa. I’m glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and that your liked the facilities we offer.

Concerning your mention about the beaches, we are proud to inform we are one of the few Hotels who have earned the Blue Flag certification which speaks directly to natural, clean and healthy beaches. It is also difficult to understand how you felt dissatisfied with our beaches..

Thanks again for your comments, as they help us to know the opinions of our guests and work to improve our service day after day.

Looking forward for your next visit, we remain at your service.

Best regards,

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director

Write a ReviewReviews (7,083)

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We got married at the Grand Palladium, Jamaica. We had looked at pictures and read a bit on internet and was recommended from travel agent
Anyway, we arrived at resort 10-11 hrs from flight to be checked into a room with 2 beds. This we found very unappropreiate as we were bride and groom and were suppose to be accomadated in room with king bed, ocean veiw. Reception very rudely says to us "we have nothing for you other than this room " I was amazed as we booked way back in 2012. Anyway we took this room being exhausted from our flight and no other option.
We finally did get a room with a king bed and ocean veiw , thanks to our super , professional, polite wedding coordinator Omeshia. She was awesome and went over and above her job duties.
The only thing... was that when we got our new room we had to move our own luggage inbetween our wedding ceremony and reception in our wedding clothes. Isn't that what everyone wants to do on their wedding day??
The reception staff here are very rude and almost threatening to you in a way. The wait staff were a bit more polite than front desk but unmotivated.
Our room was never stocked for coffee, and other ammentities, even after 3- 4 requests. Our phone very seldom worked which made it very difficult to keep in contact with family and friends we came with. We requested our phone to be fixed numerous times , and a maitenance man finally came by to :look" at it on our last night and did nothing.
Family members that came on trip with us had no air conditioner in room the whole weeks stay even after NUMEROUS complaints to front desk. The safe in thie room would not lock this leaving them to walk around with documents and wallets and such.
We had staff harrassing us on OUR patio and outside our villa to buy smokes which was'nt tobacco ...This was a constant happening with staff here. Had staff calling our room all hours of day and night :when the phone did work" to buy redstripe beer from him for $20. These calls seem to come as soon as we and entered our room. This was also happening to another couple who travelled with us. Very unnerving to think someone is watching you come and go from your room and phone would ring as soon as you entered.I am sure the staff here work together to target their guests. We did not feel safe here at all.
We were bought a "romantic dinner " on the beach for a wedding gift. Unfortunately we did not get the opportunuty to use it as we were told we were forgotten about. Hw nice is that ???I asked guest service lady to just return funds to who purchased us our dinner. She said she could'nt bc she had no receipt. I then pulled up the copy i got from the girl who purchased it and said to the guest service lady. "i have a receipt right here, now can you please return funds to their credit card." she in return tries to tell us that we missed our supper ...it was on the 16th and she could not return funds'' are you serious??? We pointed out to her that it was purchased on the 16th and to be used for the 18th, because you had to book 48 hrs prior. Frusterated we wanted to talk to a manager...big suprise they were gone for the evening. We went back next day and received a form to fill out to get funds returned to couple who bought us "romantic dinner"
I talked to them yesterday and they still have NOT received funds back to their credit card. The guest service lady they were talking to had told them via phone call that WE were offered a free supper for the mix up and we refused. This is untrue we were never offered that. I thnk she is just trying to save her butt
We got locked out of our room . Our keys would not work ...trust me we tried several times. So here we go off to front desk for help. We explained to front desk that our keys would not work. They were GRABBED out of my hands and told "WELL THEY SHOULD". the guy gave back our keys and we started walking back to our villa once again. SURPRISE...the keys still did not work.Frusterated I was upset and we needed to get in room because we had to be at bus in 10 minutes for a tour we paid for. Thank goodness I ran into a security ..I think security guy..who knows no one has ID, but he flagged down a maitenance man and we finally got in.
We had along with the other couples have staff members just walking in room all times of day and night. Seems everyone had a key to room and could come in at free will. Very disturbing . We even had chemical sprayed in our room when we were in it. They obviously do not put the health and safety of their guests FIRST.
Yes we had our sign out "do not disturb" but it went missing the second day we were here. We had made NUMEROUS complaints and requests that fell on deaf ears.So we were either ignored, and neglected or the staff are just didnt care
We were to leave resort at 3 but our check out was at 12, so a bellboy took our luggage to a "safe and secure " room by front desk to store from 12-3 Upon our arrival back to retreive our luggage and wait for bus to airport, one of the guys we were travelling noticed his suitcase zippers were open. We told him its probably nothing to worry about, and we continued to wait for bus.
Now getting on bus is a story in itself. The bellboy put our luggage on this little bus and told us to get on. We just didnt feel this could be right bus and we asked him again. He says ...yes this is right bus, so get on . We feeling uncomfotable finally found the driver and asked him ..NO IT WAS NOT going to airport. Finally our bus arrived, so we unloaded our own luggage and took it to new bus. This while staff watching us....Thanks for the help......
On returning home I could not find my cell phone or my eye glasses I had packed in suitcase. I ended up calling phone service to cancel cell phone thinking someone in Jamaica is probably using it as we speak.
I also got call from security from credit cards.... she asked if we had made large amount purchases while in Jamaica... Absolutely not, the cards were never used there during our stay. She asked me to verify I had the cards. Looked in wallet ...THEY WERE GONE They were STOLEN in JAMAICA and used to in a jewellery store and in sports bar...on the 22nd. We were home the morning of 21st.
Now why was one of our friends suitcase zippers open from the "locked and secure " luggage room? why are our credit cards gone? where is the cell phone ? and who is wearing the perscription glasses that went missing at the Grand Palladium Resort?
Does the GP have cameras in there hotel for security for the guests? I have tried number of times to contact the GP Jamaica and so has our travel agent but we don't seem to get a reply from anyone. So I guess if you stay at hotel and get treated like crap, wrong room , no supplies, no air conditioning , staff harrassing you to buy their smoke and beer, door wont open to room , phone dont work , staff haveing access to your room all hours of day and night , you feel threatened and unsafe......THEY DON"T CARE...they got your money for your vacation there and thats all they care about.
We look forward to hearing fro the Gp Jamaica,

Room Tip: NO good rooms here, nothing seems to work in them ..I would stay in a room at a different resort
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank dissapointed501
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you have experienced throughout your stay. At the same time, you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

It would be a pleasure for me to talk about the safety issues experienced, please contact me: assistdtor1.jamaica@palladiumhotelgroup.com

We look forward to having you again and that we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Upon our arrival (6 of us) on Feb 21, 2013 our rooms were not ready. We had to wait over an hour, so we waited in the joke of a sports bar ( 1 waitress) food horrible. Upon getting to our 1st room we entered and noticed a STRONG smell of wildew (which started my allergies) :( and noticed that the ceiling was leaking into the bathtub and floor. We called the front desk to report and request another room, about 1 hour later and repeated phone calls (which either didn't get answered or we got hung up on) we had the people in the other room call and get the managegr/supv. needless to say the ball was rolling then. We got into another room only to later find that the tv was NOT working and might I say it NEVER really worked the entire 6 days we were there and anytime we reported this we got told they were working on it ( joke was on us, didn't happen).The so called beds were VERY UNCOMFORTABLE and the so called pull out was HARD as rocks and caused more pain and discomfort! The so called Wellness Spa (another joke) was constantly broke down as well, it's the reason one of the ladies in my party came with us, so that she could relax and find comfort in their spa/pool areas. The jacuzzi was hot 1 time, the lazy river NEVER worked and was taped off with yellow tape the entire time and the hot rocks to walk on to help soothe sore feet (yeah right, another joke), the equipment in the work out facility rarely worked, and it was one apology after another, it became mundane and irritating to my ears after awhile. Then there was broke down vehicles on the grounds, one right outside the entrance of our villa (how appealing). Oh, and if you plan on sleeping DON'T they have animals that chirp and loudly chirp at night, ALL night! :( Then this resort is NOT adult friendly, in order to get any adult entertainment you gotta travel 45 min either to Montego Bay or Negril and they DON'T tell you that your American money will not be given back to you, it'll be given back in Jamaica money :( When we tried to inquire about speaking with someone behind the scenes if you will, we got the run around. I will NEVER return to this resort, and would NEVER recommend it to anyone at any point!! HUGE disappointment and NOT worth the money we spent!!!!

Room Tip: HORRIBLE all the way around!!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank hzldeyes
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you have experienced with some malfunctioning items in room throughout your stay. At the same time, you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

Accomodations Manager

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I've been to the Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa three times since it first opened about ten years ago. Although it is still a beautiful, the resort is not being well maintained or well managed and it is beginning to show.

On my trip last week, these were some of the shortcomings:
1) Took two days and four requests to stock the empty mini bar; 2) Never received the blanket that was requested twice; 3) Never had a complete set of towels for number of guests in room and only occasionally had a bath mat, 4) Instructions for setting safe combination had been changed but not posted; 5) Waited for two hours for one hour snorkeling excursion from onsite water sports station but our group of 8 never went out because boat had broken on previous trip but no one bothered to notify the waiting group; 6) Number of pools in spa were drained or not functioning; 7) Lounge chairs at pool and beach are virtually all damaged; 8) Virtually no activities for all but youngest kids.

On the plus side:
1) Warmth and friendliness of staff; 2) Spacious, clean rooms; 3) Great grounds & pool; 4) Short waits for reservation requiring restaurants.

Bottom line, if you have never been to the resort before you will probably enjoy it. If you have been there before you will be disappointed to see it gradually deteriorating and wonder if you would have been better off trying some place new.

Room Tip: The resort is huge and requires lots of walking. In order to be closer to more of the resorts ameni...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Elaine S,

Thank you for sharing your opinion and for your positive comments about our rooms, our grounds & pools and specially about our staff, that are indeed some of the friendliest people that you will come across.

I would like to apologize for the experience that you had with some issues. We will take actions to improve our service in these areas. We take our guest’s comments very seriously. I would appreciate hearing from you before you make your next plans to return to Jamaica if you decide to come back here. I am positive that we can make your next vacation an unforgettable experience.

Thank you for having stayed with us.

Best regards,

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Upon arrival Feb 21, the room requested was not ready. After about 45 minutes my party and I were taken to the room. Soon as we entered I smelled mildew and noticed the tub/bathroom floor area leaking from ceiling. We immediately called front desk to report this. 45-1hr later plus 4 or 5 more phone calls still waiting. I called the room of the others traveling with us and told them to call and ask for supervisor because now the staff at the front desk would pick up and hang up or not pick up at all. This got the ball rolling and we were soon moved. The television in the room didn't work the entire time. We called about it and the staff were rude stating we know it not working maintenance is working on it (click). I took pictures.Next the main reason for me booking this trip was the spa wellness center which advertised a lazy river, hot tub and more. The lazy river was closed off with yellow caution tape the entire time. Each time we inquired about the lazy river or hot tub that was not hot, we were told it will be fixed by 5:30pm, it will be fixed soon or it will be fixed tomorrow. I took picture of the spa area. Also for 4 days a truck was broke down(flat tire) at the entrance to our building. I was looking forward to the spa/lazy river due to my joint pain. I was in pain the entire trip. The resort is huge with lots of hills, stairs and brick pavement as the road to walk on. I won't be returning to the Grand Palladium Resort and I would never recommend this resort.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank lightskin1961
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are always grateful to receive feedback about our hotel facilities and grounds as we work very hard to assure our guests have memorable vacation experiences.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you have experienced during your stay. At the same time, you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

It is a pleasure to have had the opportunity of hosting you. We look forward to seeing you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any upcoming visit to Palladium...

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was our second time to Jamaica; over Thanksgiving we stayed in Ocho Rios at the Sunset Jamaica Grand or something. This place was a huge improvement.

RESORT:
First, the resort is HUGE. For people with little ones that frequently go back and forth to their room, it might be a pain (unless you're in a bldg that is close to the action). We stayed in building 15, on the ocean and our sitting area balcony had a view of the ocean. It was several minutes to the pool/restaurants but they have golf cart-shuttles to get you around. Note that while there is a covered walkway around most areas, there is no cover from your room to the walkway - we were soaked the one day it rained, just getting to dinner (bring an umbrella!).

The staff were mostly friendly and accomodating but there was the odd frowny face. The lifeguards sat behind the lifeguard stand and chatted with other staff so I am not sure how they could watch anyone!

The restrooms are all clean and well-maintained.

The grounds are beautiful and lush - many palm trees and flowers.

POOLS:
The main pool is huge - and deep. Our kids couldn't touch bottom (I think it was 5'). There is a shallower area that they played in. Many built-in tile loungers in the water to relax on. There are few bars around the pool but no service (it's get your own). Also they don't allow you to take food from the restaurants. There are many palapas (palm umbrellas) and plenty of lounge chairs. We tried the Roselle pool as well and it was a nice quiet spot - and close to our building.

BEACHES:
Several little rocky beaches and one sandy - Sunset Cove. This is where the water sports are and it was a hike to get to (again, the shuttle is easy to take there). We tried kayaks and snorkeling. I stepped on a sea snake and there are many urchins in the ocean - bring watershoes. They also sell them in the store. Our kids loved the rocky beaches to look for crabs and urchins. There was a neat little beach on the way to the lobby I think called Gully beach or something.

FOOD:
We found the food to be great. (We're also comparing to the Sunset Jamaica Grand or whatever it was - not great). There are three places to get breakfast - one downside is that there were queues to get in to the buffets - you don't seat yourself so you have to wait even tho there are many open tables. We ate at Xaymaica twice, Bubba's and Pastafarian. All were fine. They did have a kids' menu - the same at each restaurant. Service was really slow at the Italian place. We loved Michael at Xaymaica (Criole). There were many choices at the buffets and our favourite was actually the Blue Lagoon restaurant which overlooks the pool. There was a good mix of local and other food.

ROOM:
This is where we have mixed feelings. The room was beautiful and spacious - we upgraded to a suite that had a separate bedroom. The room was very damp despite the AC. At times it smelled like cigarette butts. Our clothes hanging in the closet were damp. We had two covered balconies; one had an ocean view. The bed and pillows were very hard - they actually have a pillow menu (for a charge). We asked for an extra foam topper but none ever came. There was a door to an adjoining unit and we frequently heard our loud neighbours like they were in our room. Our housekeeper, Shelly, was great. The minibar is stocked daily and we left a note for extra water bottles and received them. We had a minor ant problem in the bathroom. The shower door had a space and we managed to flood the floor several times. The plumbing worked OK. Although there is a closet, there wasn't a set of drawers. There was a handy drying rack on the balcony where we dried our stuff.

All in all, we'll defintely go back. It was a wonderful vacation with very few problems.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Palmtreequeen2012
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just returned from our wedding at GP in Jamaica.Got a room w/ twin beds instead of king.Staff no help , lazy ,rude and not polite,yet always wanting $ for something.Moved to king room on wedding day ,but had to move own luggage in my wedding gown and attire b/w our ceremony and reception.Staff constantly harrassing you to buy drugs from them.Obv. hire anyone off the beaten path here with no screening at all.No such thing as privacy in own room as staff came in and out of room constatly without knocking.We had more staff walk in our room than a walk in clinic would have patients in a day.Had "pest control" just walk in and spray chemical in our room while we were in bed.No concern for the health and safety of guests.Everyone seemed to had a key to rooms.Harrasing phone calls from staff trying to sell beer for $20.No ammenities in room,phone didn't work most times,mini bar never stocked.1 time it was it consisted of 2redstripe beer 2 water and 1 small coke.shld of gave us a box cooler for that tiny amt.and saved their hydro.Beach was small& filthy , restaraunts had stray cats eating off floor at our tables.Will never go back and wouldNOT reccomend to stay here.

Room Tip: No such thing as a good room.No matter what room you get it won't have anything in it but a ceme...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank sjil
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We apologize for your negative impression of our staff and property. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service and we will certainly be looking into the observations which you have made with a view to taking corrective action.

We regret to hear that in this case you felt a bad attitude from the staff. Just let me add that our staff is continuously congratulated on their work by many customers…Sorry if our staff bothered you, we understand that it can be a bit stressing when you are on holidays… to avoid the hotel staff entering in your room we recommend to place the red sign (Do Not Disturb) in the door lock.

About the staff engaged in illegal practices it would be very helpful for us know about this during your vacations in order to take the opportune measures.

Despite we already are taking measures with the cats it is very difficult to keep them out of the property. Sorry about the inconveniences that these animals could cause you…

We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Accommodations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!