8,056 results
All reviewsgrand palladiumlady hamilton sidesports barjerk hutmain poolmontego bayocean viewa la carte restaurantsjerk chickensteaksunset cove beachitalian restaurantwater sportsseafoodrick's cafered stripebad reviews
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was our second time to Jamaica; over Thanksgiving we stayed in Ocho Rios at the Sunset Jamaica Grand or something. This place was a huge improvement.

RESORT:
First, the resort is HUGE. For people with little ones that frequently go back and forth to their room, it might be a pain (unless you're in a bldg that is close to the action). We stayed in building 15, on the ocean and our sitting area balcony had a view of the ocean. It was several minutes to the pool/restaurants but they have golf cart-shuttles to get you around. Note that while there is a covered walkway around most areas, there is no cover from your room to the walkway - we were soaked the one day it rained, just getting to dinner (bring an umbrella!).

The staff were mostly friendly and accomodating but there was the odd frowny face. The lifeguards sat behind the lifeguard stand and chatted with other staff so I am not sure how they could watch anyone!

The restrooms are all clean and well-maintained.

The grounds are beautiful and lush - many palm trees and flowers.

POOLS:
The main pool is huge - and deep. Our kids couldn't touch bottom (I think it was 5'). There is a shallower area that they played in. Many built-in tile loungers in the water to relax on. There are few bars around the pool but no service (it's get your own). Also they don't allow you to take food from the restaurants. There are many palapas (palm umbrellas) and plenty of lounge chairs. We tried the Roselle pool as well and it was a nice quiet spot - and close to our building.

BEACHES:
Several little rocky beaches and one sandy - Sunset Cove. This is where the water sports are and it was a hike to get to (again, the shuttle is easy to take there). We tried kayaks and snorkeling. I stepped on a sea snake and there are many urchins in the ocean - bring watershoes. They also sell them in the store. Our kids loved the rocky beaches to look for crabs and urchins. There was a neat little beach on the way to the lobby I think called Gully beach or something.

FOOD:
We found the food to be great. (We're also comparing to the Sunset Jamaica Grand or whatever it was - not great). There are three places to get breakfast - one downside is that there were queues to get in to the buffets - you don't seat yourself so you have to wait even tho there are many open tables. We ate at Xaymaica twice, Bubba's and Pastafarian. All were fine. They did have a kids' menu - the same at each restaurant. Service was really slow at the Italian place. We loved Michael at Xaymaica (Criole). There were many choices at the buffets and our favourite was actually the Blue Lagoon restaurant which overlooks the pool. There was a good mix of local and other food.

ROOM:
This is where we have mixed feelings. The room was beautiful and spacious - we upgraded to a suite that had a separate bedroom. The room was very damp despite the AC. At times it smelled like cigarette butts. Our clothes hanging in the closet were damp. We had two covered balconies; one had an ocean view. The bed and pillows were very hard - they actually have a pillow menu (for a charge). We asked for an extra foam topper but none ever came. There was a door to an adjoining unit and we frequently heard our loud neighbours like they were in our room. Our housekeeper, Shelly, was great. The minibar is stocked daily and we left a note for extra water bottles and received them. We had a minor ant problem in the bathroom. The shower door had a space and we managed to flood the floor several times. The plumbing worked OK. Although there is a closet, there wasn't a set of drawers. There was a handy drying rack on the balcony where we dried our stuff.

All in all, we'll defintely go back. It was a wonderful vacation with very few problems.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Palmtreequeen2012
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just returned from our wedding at GP in Jamaica.Got a room w/ twin beds instead of king.Staff no help , lazy ,rude and not polite,yet always wanting $ for something.Moved to king room on wedding day ,but had to move own luggage in my wedding gown and attire b/w our ceremony and reception.Staff constantly harrassing you to buy drugs from them.Obv. hire anyone off the beaten path here with no screening at all.No such thing as privacy in own room as staff came in and out of room constatly without knocking.We had more staff walk in our room than a walk in clinic would have patients in a day.Had "pest control" just walk in and spray chemical in our room while we were in bed.No concern for the health and safety of guests.Everyone seemed to had a key to rooms.Harrasing phone calls from staff trying to sell beer for $20.No ammenities in room,phone didn't work most times,mini bar never stocked.1 time it was it consisted of 2redstripe beer 2 water and 1 small coke.shld of gave us a box cooler for that tiny amt.and saved their hydro.Beach was small& filthy , restaraunts had stray cats eating off floor at our tables.Will never go back and wouldNOT reccomend to stay here.

Room Tip: No such thing as a good room.No matter what room you get it won't have anything in it but a cement bed, no supplies and a every staff member having a key to room to come in and out whenever they want. No privacy at all in rooms.whatever is missing you will have to pay for it, even if it came with your package.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank sjil
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We apologize for your negative impression of our staff and property. Your feedback is very helpful to us in evaluating our service and we will certainly be looking into the observations which you have made with a view to taking corrective action.

We regret to hear that in this case you felt a bad attitude from the staff. Just let me add that our staff is continuously congratulated on their work by many customers…Sorry if our staff bothered you, we understand that it can be a bit stressing when you are on holidays… to avoid the hotel staff entering in your room we recommend to place the red sign (Do Not Disturb) in the door lock.

About the staff engaged in illegal practices it would be very helpful for us know about this during your vacations in order to take the opportune measures.

Despite we already are taking measures with the cats it is very difficult to keep them out of the property. Sorry about the inconveniences that these animals could cause you…

We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had booked this trip for our honeymoon and the Grand Palladium came highly recommended as the resort to stay by your company. When we looked at their website it looked GREAT; BEAUTIFUL; PERFECT.

That being said we arrived on the 11th early and we were happy; everything was great. We were prepared to wait for our room as we knew check in was not until 3pm. Upon arrival we went to the check in counter and let them know we were here; we know that our agent, upon booking, let the hotel know that it was our honeymoon and anything that they could do to upgrade up to an oceanview / king bed would be greatly appreciated. The resort website also mentioned that if it was your honeymoon to email the hotel one week before our arrival and let them know our same requests, Jose the Accommodations Director emailed me back and said they would be happy to accommodate but it would be based on availability. We had asked the girl at the check in counter, saying we put these requests in and wanted to see about our room and a possible King Bed and Oceanview room, she said that there were no Oceanview rooms available; we told her that we would be willing to pay extra per day; she checked again and said unfortunately there are none available. She did have a King bed for us and we were happy with that. She also gave us these red bracelets and said they were VIP bracelets and we would be treated with extra care. At 2:50pm we came back to the desk to hopefully check in and again she said our room wasn’t ready. Getting a little frustrated and seeing it was our honeymoon my husband spoke with the girl and gave her a tip and next thing you know we were checked in right away and with a Oceanview room (#1715). --------- For an all-inclusive resort and the requests that we made; I didn’t think we HAD to tip the check-in staff to make anything happen; that was sad; and the staff at the front counter never smiled once; definitely not happy or welcoming at all.

As we went along our vacation, my husband and I tipped for everything; we came prepared to as I did read reviews and we knew if you tipped, you got good service. We left a tip for the maid every day; the water boy; every drink we got at the bar, every meal we had at a restaurant and every ride we had in the cart as the resort was huge.

On Wednesday, ourselves along with my sister and her husband, whom were also staying at the hotel decided to book a deep sea fishing trip through the Island Routes company within the hotel for the Thursday morning. Thursday morning, my husband and I woke up and were getting ready for our fishing excursion and as we were leaving our room to catch the bus we realized our safe wasn’t working, we kept touching the buttons and nothing, it was dead. We didn’t have time to deal with the situation as we had to catch the bus for the fishing trip. That being said we had nothing; everything was in the safe; money; sunglasses; cigarettes; fishing excursion receipt everything. We spent the morning from 8:30 am – 12:30 pm fishing out of Sandals Montego Bay, we caught some fish were bringing them back to the hotel to we could have them for dinner; our driver was so nice we decided to give one of the fish to him and he was SO appreciative. We were happy that the excursion was only a half day that way we still had the afternoon to grab lunch and go to the pool or beach. Upon arrival back to the hotel we came in with our fish to Guest Services on the Lady Hamilton side; everyone was like WOW that’s a BIG fish; we were happy. The lady asked which restaurant we would like the fish cooked and served at and she would make a reservation for us. The reservation was made at the Poseidon (Seafood) restaurant for 8pm and there was 7 of us. She then took us down to the buffet restaurant; the chef came out and said how would we like the fish cooked? Then he asked us to hold on and he would get the chef that was actually going to be the one preparing it to come out and speak with my husband; he did; he said he would be preparing it at Poseidon for 8pm that evening. GREAT, we then proceeded to tell the girl from Guests Services that we have an issue with our safe; it’s dead; she said she would call maintenance and have them meet us at our room to change the batteries. We told our friends we would meet them by the pool soon and go for lunch. Back at our room; we waited; we waited, Half our later I called front desk; they said they would send someone right away (security to unlock the safe & maintenance to change batteries), 10 minutes later Security unlocked our safe; he said that this was the first call he received about our situation and will call maintenance right away. We waited another half hour; maintenance showed up changed the batteries-said he didn’t think it was batteries; he moved a wire, it lit up he told us to wait 15 min and it will reset and renter our code; when it was ready we went to re-set and it just flashed error – error-; called front desk again; they sent maintenance again the new maintenance guy said that there was an obvious issue with the circuit board and it needed to be replaced and that it would be 1-1.5 hours. We asked if he would be the guy to do the job he said yes. We packed up all our stuff out of our safe; we now have to carry this with us. It was now 4:30pm (3 hours dealing with this situation) we missed our friends for lunch; the lunch restaurant and buffet were closed we ended up at the sports bar. 1.5 hours later we went back to the room and our Safe was fixed; we reprogrammed it and placed our valuables inside the safe.

That evening we got ready to go to the Poseidon for our 8pm reservation. We arrived at 8pm for dinner; the hostess had asked if she could help us and we said we had a reservation with a Tuna (the one we caught today); she seemed a bit confused; my husband asked if she saw the fish; she had no idea what we were talking about. I showed her our reservation receipt and she asked us to hold on; she came back and said our table wasn’t ready; we proceeded to the bar once our table was ready we were seated.

The waiter came to the table wanting to take our orders after handing out menus; my husband wanted to confirm the fish was here before ordering as if it wasn’t we would not be staying; he refused to check and proceeded to take appetizer orders; when it came to me we I told the server that I do not eat seafood and if I could please get my chicken served with the appetizers; he said no problem. He checked on our fish and a chef came out to say that it was there (this was not the chef we gave the fish to and that we were told was preparing it) she said she would be preparing it 3 ways and would bring out when ready. The fish came out (if it was even our fish, we didn’t know); I decided to order a bottle of champagne (which I would pay for); it was brought to the table; appetizers were arriving; everyone was eating but me; I kept asking the server he kept saying “it’s coming” 2 hours later everyone was done eating and I had still not received my food. I asked for the bill for the champagne to sign to my room, it came right away, I signed and proceeded to leave; almost in tears; starving the hostess asked about our evening I said I never received my food after 2 hours everyone else had eaten; I told the waiter; I don’t know, that if you actually told the kitchen, how in 2 hours I didn’t receive anything to eat; she asked my room number. I had to go to the sports bar and have nachos with cheese; very upset.

After, my husband and I proceed to our room; upon getting there I noticed our balcony door handle was up in the open position; I told my husband; I know for a FACT we locked it; we ALWAYS did it was part of our routine. My husband proceeded to look at it and there was obvious damage; the other side was scrapped and looked to be that our door was jimmied open, that damage WAS NOT there when we first arrived to the room, we both inspected our room upon arrival. We called security, they came, they asked my husband how he thought someone would make that damage; also said to my husband maybe “WE” were too drunk and forgot to lock our room…..NOT the case….we spent the day on a fishing boat and then 3 hours in our room waiting to get our SAFE FIXED. And funny this break-in happens the same day we had issues with our safe. Nothing was stolen as our safe was fixed and I lock EVERYTHING in the safe, only stuff in the room were clothes. They told me to fill out a report; which I did and I ask the security guards that I wanted to know that we were safe here; we went to sleep nervous; the chains on the doors are false protection; you could easily take the chain off from the outside with your hand. We used both chairs each night after this prying one between the sliding door and the couch and the other under the front door. My husband said he woke up a few times the nights prior to this happening and had a feeling someone was in the room------- do staff enter peoples rooms while they’re sleeping; thinking they drank a lot; not locking their stuff in their safe hoping to steal $$$ or Jewellery and then when you report it they blame you and say you must be drunk. ------- since being home; I have read 2 other incidents of this happening; this is very scary.

The next morning we tried to forget that any of this happened; we paid a lot of $$ for this vacation; It was our honeymoon; we met my sister and her husband at the Blue Lagoon for breakfast as they were leaving to go home; sitting at breakfast I was wishing it was us going home. We had 3 others joining us at breakfast and asked the server if we could join the table beside us with ours; that went ignored; tried another waitress; she said fine but looked bitter about it; next thing we know the gentleman that was managing the dining room came up to us, asked how long our friends would be; we said they were on their way; he said “I’LL GIVE THEM 5 MINUTES!” rudely and walked away; there were 15 empty tables in the dining room; we didn’t care fine give them away. The treatment was just getting worse.

We then all went to the pool; hung out for the day; My husband and I decided to do the Bubbas Steak House for dinner try to forget everything that has happened up to this point. We were having a nice romantic time; I ordered a bottle of wine; my husband ordered the Jerk Lobster to go with his meal; everything was going to well our server was great; we enjoyed our meal, I signed for the Lobster and Wine to our room and tipped the waiter very well. Then all of a sudden this woman (Stacey Ann) flew over to our table and said “I thought I recognized that name, ARE YOU TWO IN A BETTER MOOD TONIGHT!”) she recognized my name because I signed for the bottle of champagne the night before at Poseidon------- Just attacked us for no reason; how dare she; we said Excuse me, she said I remember you two; you just walked out and left the other restaurant; my husband said yes my wife sat there for 2 hours with no food; we didn’t JUST walk out, we signed for our champagne and generously tipped our waiter and left; after that I took note of her name and we excused ourselves. This was just shocking; each time we tried to make our trip better.....

WE HAVE PAID TO BE ON VACATION; OUR HONEYMOON at that (that only happens once) We spent A LOT of $$ on this trip ; as mentioned we tipped EVERYONE, a tip for the maid every day; the water boy; every drink we got at the bar, every meal we had at a restaurant, we spent $$ on Champagne, Wine, Lobster……these tips just went to blind eyes....…we were even planning to book the romantic dinner on the beach for our Honeymoon, but the series of events made us decide not to.
These people treated us so rudely; we felt targeted. I wanted to complain to the management so badly but I was truly scared for my life. Every time we mentioned one thing, the incidents kept getting worse and worse…..these people could break into our room or safe at any time. I just wanted to get home safely.

And to top it off when leaving, one of the carts was picking up a passenger with their luggage at our building; he asked if we would like him to come back and pick us up we said sure….5 minutes? He said no problem. We got our luggage together went outside…….stood there….stood there…..decided to walk with all our luggage, up the big hill, and there he was socializing with the girls at the front desk.

This is to be a 4.5 Star; It’s definitely not….. remember I mentioned the Red “VIP” bracelets she said she gave us when we checked in, that was a lie, where was this special treatment…..

When booking we originally wanted Iberostar but we were told the best around Montego Bay area would be Grand Palladium, came HIGHLY recommended. I think iTravel2000/ Nolitours needs to seriously investigate this resort; this was our honeymoon and now that I’m home after what we experienced I’m extremely upset and sad.

Both iTravel2000 and Nolitours have done nothing about this situation to date. I've attached pictures of the damage from the break-in......

I'd think twice before booking this resort, I've travelled ALOT and I have never felt as unsafe as I did there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Sheree K

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your last stay at the Grand Palladium. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that you have experienced throughout your stay. At the same time you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

As I told you requests are not guaranteed and subject on availability, sorry if it took some time to fulfill your room requests. Tipping is optional and always at the guest’s convenience, it is certainly not our intention that our guests feel necessary to tip for a good service. We humbly apologize for any discomfort you experienced and assure you that this is not the typical experience of our guests.

We do apologize for the delay offering your meal at the Poseidon; the relevant departments will be informed in order to take the opportune measures.

Regarding the safety in the hotel this is the first time I hear things like staff entering in guest rooms while they are sleeping drunk and I have never read any similar reviews. I can understand your disappointment when you found the patio door handle up in the open position, it is strange that someone could open the balcony door and don’t take nothing from inside, especially in a second floor room 1715. I honestly don’t understand your comments about to be scared for your life when you wanted to complain to the management as we would be very happy to assist you for any inconvenience you could experienced.

It is a pleasure to have had the opportunity of hosting you. We look forward to seeing you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us; if there is anything at all we can do from this end.

Best regards

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was my first time travling outside the states and I'm so glad I stayed at Grand Palladium!
I read many reviews before going and I was a little worried! None of it was true in my eyes.
The place was great! I will admit walking was not fun, but just make sure you have good sandles, like Keeds.
My husband and I really enjoyed hanging out ot the infinty bar loved Chevy and Amoy they were the best! Our maid Sophie was also great, she would great us every morning and ask us if we needed anything. The staff that restocked our mini bar would always leave us extra stuff if asked, we would tip them a few bucks for that, loved the orange soda......
My husband did some scuba diving and Duane (Sinker) was very friendly and great guide.
We will be going back for sure!
The only bad thing I would have to say was the lack of snacks. There should be snacks though out the day.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Judy S
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based on your recent vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated to know that, on this your first visit to Jamaica and our Resort, you have had a wonderful vacation. We are pleased to know that you were well taken care of by our staff, it is always great to read about the staff who have stood out in the minds of our guests. It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future.

Best Wishes.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I just got back from a week at the Grand Palladium and had the best experience! Such a great value. We were impressed with everything from the ease of travel to accomodations, food, excursions..everything was perfect. Such a stress-free, relaxing vacation. Highly recommend CheapCaribbean as well as the Grand Palladium to anyone considering it. Family friendly resort but was still very appropriate for couples as well. We did both a Catamaran excursion and a 1/2 day trip to Dunn's River Falls. Both were awesome. Relaxing at the resort is hard to beat, but if you're adventurous you should definitely consider some of the excursions. You can't go wrong with this one.

Only negative thing I would say is that some other resorts have a "no tipping" policy and I think we might would be willing to pay a little more not to have to worry with tipping. If nothing else, I think it would be nice if the resort at least provided some sort of guidelines regarding what is reasonable/typical tipping. We were clueless if we were undertipping or overtipping. Certainly didn't mind tipping as service was top notch, but it would have been nice not to had to stress about tips quite so much.

Other than that, we had no complaints whatsoever. Such a great week. Definitely not happy to be back home!!

Room Tip: We were in the Villa farthest from the main lobby so it was a little more walking, but still never took more than 5 minutes to walk anywhere. And with all of the food we ate, we didn't mind a little walking.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ashley N

Dear Ashley N,

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are grateful for your positive comments and are elated that you both have had a wonderful stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. It is fantastic that you loved the accommodations, the delicious meals, entertainment and the activities that we have here on property. It is also wonderful that you took the opportunity to go on excursions and see more of our beautiful island.

In regards to tipping, this is left to the discretion of our guests hence why there is not a guideline in place. Our staff are there to assure that our guests are well catered to with or without a tip.

It was our pleasure hosting you on this visit and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Until then, best wishes from our Palladium family!