“Another basic all inclusive resort”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed February 1, 2013

To summarize the property is large, well maintained considering, the food is quality over quantity and the service was acceptable. Not on my list of places I want to go back to.

Had no problems at check-in. Room was ready and they even tried to accomodate my request for Bldg 11 which was close to everything. However when I found out that Bldg. 25 was just as close and not near the noise of the main pool I opted to stay in the original room.

The staff for the most part were friendly and accomodating. You always have that 10 percent no matter where you go so forget them. While I did not feel pressured to tip it did make the staff go that little extra. Took the Maids name card, placed it on the bed in the morning and slipped a few U.S. under it and never had a problem with towels, changing sheets, the mini-bar and room was always made up when I came back. I was never invisible when I went to the bar for a drink.

There are 40 Villas spread between Jamaica and Lady Hamilton sides. The main pool is in the center and used by both. The pool is large enough that it never gets crowded except for, surprise, the swim up bar. The resort was pretty full but had no trouble getting towels or chairs. Be aware that the towel stand closes at 5:00pm. If you don't get towels back before that you keep them overnight. They give you a card which you exchange for towels and if you don't return that when checking out it will cost you $20 U.S. for each.

There are four beach areas, Gulley,Las Brisas, Coral and Sunset Cove. Sunset was the only one I would have considered using but it is at the end of the Hamilton side. The rest are better for cat litter.

Restaurants count 'em - 10. Well except for Blue Lagoon which was never open while we were there. Several days only had one buffet open for breakfast or dinner. Ala cartes were first come first served. There is no room service. Went early, 6:00pm, most nights and had no more than a ten minute wait. But saw long lines when leaving. Buffet food was cafeteria quality as expected. But the ala carte was disappointing. Filet mignon at Bubba's was filled with gristle. Pasta ar Reggaetoni's was good but very spicy. Best meal was the NY strip at Xaymaica. Buffet was 90% the same for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Changed the egg station for pasta and such so you knew what time of day it was. :) Other than that it was Groundhog day over and over.

Four times they tried to get me to come down for a sales pitch of some kind. I just ignored them and they stopped.

You get two key cards at check in. Put one in the slot for the power and leave it there. When we first got into the room there was a bit of an odor from the AC not running. Leaving the card in the slot kept the AC running and the odor went away. We were on a second floor junior suite and the AC did not talk to the thermostat all the while we were there. Reported this on the first day along with the shower head that sprayed any way it wanted. They fixed the shower head that day but the AC was the same. Had it set at 85F/30C but the room was always in the low 60'sF.

Didn't like all the nickle and dime attitude for creature comforts. If you wanted more than the pancake pillows you could rent one for $3 U.S. a day. Really! Same thing for more blankets. Maybe that is why the AC never got fixed. And the hangars with no hook that you have to insert in the metal tabs. I just want to hang up my clothes not test my coordination. No drawers to put your clothes in just a few shelves in the closet.

Noise level was too much at the main pool. They have an activity area on the Hamilton side and a DJ who uses loud speakers to make sure everyone knows what is going on at all times. The drums got old quickly and the Reggae Hip Hop/Rap did not appeal to me. We spent a few days one of the Adult Pools near our building and it was the same thing there just a little softer.

For me this was just a run of the mill experience. I could have been in Cancun, Dominican Republic or any other, maybe less expensive, all inclusive resort. My goal was to lay in the Sun and do nothing for a week. Mission accomplished.

Room Tip: Blds. 24 and 25 are close to the Main lobby and do not have the pool noise of Blds. 11 or 12. There...
4  Thank jcarmello
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Dear jcarmello,

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your review. All reports help us to understand what our guests need or want from their vacation. I will take note about the issues that you mentioned in your report.

All our rooms are subject to the same A/C temperatures. We have a central system and unless there is a specific incident of breakdown, you should not have experienced any disruption. If you found your room uncomfortable, we would have been happy to make arrangements for a change.

We will nonetheless include your concerns in our briefings in an effort to continuously improve our service and product.

Thank you again for staying with us. We look forward to hearing from you, if there is anything at all we can do from this end.

Best regards,

Laura López
Assistant Room Division Director

Write a ReviewReviews (7,155)

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We have just come back from a 2 week holiday. First of all I would like to say that people that complain about this hotel must be moaners in general..
Definately 5 star.. Place immaculate, food brilliant and so much choice, only down side is can't book the a la carte restaurants, first come first serve and always people waiting but buffet restaurant has lots of choice.
Staff are so friendly (except odd few- gift shop bit miserable). I would love to go back some day.

Room Tip: We were in block 35 which was nice and quiet with good views but think blocks in early 30's have...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Julie T
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We travelled Oct 3 - 10th 2012 for our wedding, with a group of 92 other family & friends who were attending our wedding. Out of all of our guests everyone enjoyed themselves and absolutely loved the resort. It's definitely large enough to hold a group as large as ours - so you can easily lose people, however, with a little bit of planning and punctuality from your group you should be able to meet up with no problem.

The wedding coordinator group did a great job with our wedding, and even with a couple of mishaps on the day off - they came through and ensured we were all happy.

On the resort:
- If you don't mind walking, take a stroll to Lover's Bluff gazebo - great view from there, just make sure you aren't interrupting any weddings!
- The pool was fantastic..enough loungers all over the place. There are also a number of smaller pools scattered across the resort (which we didnt find until the end of our trip) so you can get some privacy and get away from the noise if you'd like to. Some of these pools are also deeper than the main pool.
- The beach down by the jerk hut was the best by far - I believe it was called Sunset beach. We threw a party here for our guests and it was a great size. There is also an "adult beach" in the middle of the resort - but it seems to have reefs close to the shore so it should be good for snorkelling.
- The rooms are clean, and the maids tidy up everyday and the mini bars always stocked - just ask the staff if you have preferences. The only thing to watch out for is the shower stalls, the doors do not seal properly and there was a mini pool in my bathroom after I was done showering. The shower head also broke in our room, but the maintenance guy was sent up the next morning so that we could all shower before the wedding!

Dining:
- Given that we were planning for our wedding, my FI and I had to eat at the Buffet a couple of times given our schedules and honestly, the food was outstanding. The goat curry - amazing!! We were never bored with their offerings.
- Since we went towards the end of hurricane season, some of the restaurants weren't open on specific nights so I would plan ahead of time and find out which ones are open so you can get to try them out. The cajun restaurant was alright but we loved the asian place right next to it.

Getting to the resort:
- very close to the airport, if you are on a shuttle heading towards Lucea and Negril, this should be the first stop and shouldn't take longer than 30 mins (see if your driver will make a pit stop for beer on the way)

Leaving the resort:
- If you have a large enough group, try and book a mini bus to go to Negril & Rick's cafe. It's about 45 mins depending on traffic. We've done this trip many many times and it never gets boring!
- Stop for some conch soup or jerk chicken from a stall on the side of the road if you are daring enough - we've done it a couple of times, just ask the driver to take you to someone he knows is good.
- The lobster at the "Office of Nature" on Bloody Bay beach is to die for. Bingy (bartender) and Itil (cook) are very welcoming :)

All in all, we had a fantastic time at the Grand Palladium and can't wait until we make our way back to Jamaica soon!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank CDsouza68
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This will be quite detailed, but overall had a great stay and would go back, so don't take the negatives as the full story.
Our stay was very enjoyable, with almost everything done well by the resort, but a few small things as with many places could be improved.

Stay was Jan 19th-26th 2013 including 2 couples traveling together.
Check-in was slow as they ask you to complete long form for each person, not couple.
They drove us to room with the bags in the typical golf cart type of vehicle.

Beautiful grounds, well laid out, with covered walkways that go along the side of the roads near buildings are nice either to get some relief from sun, or rain. Workers are out every day triming bushes, and hedges, raking, etc keeping everything in good shape. Many buildings are along the ocean front and nice view and sound of the surf.

Beautiful lobby and buildings. You can change money in lobby

Wireless internet is available in lobby, but terribly slow. You can by packages for faster wi-fi that is available everywhere I think ,but you pay for it.

Rooms are very nice (had a room with separate living room and bedroom) and A/C is adequate, ceiling fans help to make up for any lack of A/C if that is the case. Our bedroom was warmer than living room and both thermostats were set as low as they can go, with fan speed of A/C set to max, I completed the card saying that A/C was warm in bedroom, and left on the door handle, to find it back inside the room on table later and no change in A/C. Don't know if anything was done, but no feedback.
Bathroom is large with separate shower, and large deep bathtub with jets.
The shower is large and nice, but the design is bad with the showerhead facing the glass door, causes floods, if you do not direct showerhead down or to either side. Doing that solved flooding, but takes away from the shower experience.
The power for A/C and lights only stays on if you have room card in slot. It is supposed to come on when needed to reduce humidity. Ours never went off without the card, but the other couples did when they removed thier room card.Opeing Patio door will also shut down the A/C.
TV had a fair number of satalite channels.
Safe in closet was large enough.
Neat pull out rack on the patio for hanging swimsuits and towels.
Chairs provided on patio.
The couple we were travelling with had a light bulb burnt out on thier patio, and it took 3 days and multiple requests to get it replaced.
Bed was good, but movement on one side tends to move partner on other side.
The pillows were terrible. They provide 2 pillows for each side of bed, but they are flat skinny and hard. This was one thing we alll agreed on. We added folded blankets, or robes to add to the the pillows to give enough height and bulk. They do offer a pillow menu with choices, but if I remember it 3 dollars a day per pillow.
Provided with room were slippers and robes.

Restaurants were good/great.
Neat concept of no reservations at the a la Cartes.
You just show up and they take your name/room number. They then call your room number.
At some they give you a pager that vibrates and flashes when it's your turn.

Sports bar had more casual food, good for light meals
Posidon was good causal food at lunch, but I did not go for supper, as thier menu is fish, and not my thing.
The buffets were great for breakfast and lunch, and even supper with no issues and good selection that changes a little each day.
We stuck to mainly the Italian and steakhouse ( Bubba's). Great steaks, Great Italian food.

Drinks were good, and service was fast.

Tried the mini golf. Fairly basic, but it kills 30 minutes. They also had tennis courts and a few other activities, but I did not try them.

The beach (sunset cove) is really down one end of the resort and fairly small. It was at the other end of the complex from our building, so we only went once. The woman in the other couple was stung by a jellyfish in first 5 minutes we went in the water. The lifeguard got rid of it, and did not see any others, but with the long walk and turned us all off that beach. Not that it was bad, but just not as nice as some others and not convienient to get to.

We did a day trip that included a stop a Margaritaville at 7 mile beach in Negril. This was a gorgeous beach and I would be there every day if at the resort.

Pools were nice, but the jets in the jacuzzi part of both pools we went to did not work. Lifeguard said that they were working on it (first day) and in a few days it would be fixed. Never saw anyone working on it. Guess it's on a jamacian time schedule. And yes, they have lifeguards at pool and beach!

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow(s)
7  Thank MarkGibson
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were here January 2013. This is a beautiful resort.
Entertainment is lacking for people that retire before midnight. I did not hear any reggae music.
Hard to find seating at the main bar if you are not a smoker.
The beds are a little hard, but not anything different from other hotels.
The resort was beautiful and very clean. Loved the landscaping.
The food was excellent. Wait staff was excellent. Bubba's steak house was the best. We didn't have to wait at any of the restaurants. We were only a party of 2. We did see large parties waiting a while for a table. They should have made a reservation.
Our room was beautiful. The beaches are great. The service was excellent. Housekeeping was excellent. Most employees were pleasant and happy to help you. Yes we gave tips. $100 in ones that we brought went a long way. We had a very nice vacation. OUr friends recommended it to us. They are going back. We will go back. I would recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: We had a sidewalk facing room. Ocean view would have been nice. No complaints though. Just people...
4  Thank Janetak
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This resort is very large and has beautiful scenary, but not the customer service to go with it. Expect long checkin lines (over an hour), unfriendly staff, disappointing food quality, rocky and dirty beaches, minimal housekeeping, uncomfortable beds, and a disappointing vacation. Looks good online, but not worth it. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Jamaica...there are much better options for the same or less amount of money.

4  Thank MichaelLexKY
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Thank you for your review.

We regret to hear that you felt a bad attitude from the staff. Just let me add that they are continuously congratulated on their work by many customers.

Regarding your comments about the quality of the food, I ensure you that they have been addressed to the corresponding department. However as I can read in other reviews left by guest traveling on the same dates some guest differ of your opinion about the matter.

Regarding beaches, in Grand Palladium Jamaica there are three different beaches for all tastes; Las Brisas Beach is a soft sandy beach with some rocky parts, sundecks, Bamboo beds, showers, loungers... perfect location for hotel weddings. Sunset Cove Beach where the water-sports centre is located with water bikes, canoes, and catamarans. Its turquoise waters are ideal for swimming snorkeling and diving. And the "Coral Cove Beach", the only beach on the resort that is reserved to adults only, some guests love it for being so peaceful and quiet. Sorry if you did not enjoyed any of them…

We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager

Reviewed January 29, 2013

So many things to say about this place, difficult to know where to begin. It's definitely a beautiful property with some positives to speak of. Was there for a week in mid-November 2012. The overall feel of this place is that to get decent service, you definitely have to pay for it -- by way of tips of course.

Food:
We have been on many all inclusive trips to the Caribbean and this was not our favourite. The food in the buffet was not good -- even the Jamaican food was bad -- and we LOVE Jamaican food! Plantain at breakfast was hard and dry, jerk at the beach was not real jerk... not even close. The Indian restaurant was delicious, even though we had to wait TWO hours for our food. The steak restaurant was very good. So was the Italian, but again the wait was torture. Lunch at the beach was also very good.

Entertainment:
Normally i don't comment on entertainment because I don't really care, but it was ridiculous. Every night was a bunch of people lip syncing in costumes. Very disappointing that the management is too busy trying to put on a broadway show with a bunch of amateurs, rather than taking advantage of the local talent! Any time the dancers gave the crowd a taste of local dancing or break dancing, they went wild. Then a minute later, it was over. So bad. I don't at all blame the staff - clearly it's the hotel pushing this. it was really so bad. People come to Jamaica to experience Jamaican culture!!! It was totally missing here! i don't think I heard ONE reggae song the entire time I was there. We went to the Holiday Inn last year in MoBay and the entertainment was FIRST CLASS with tribal dancing, local entertainment and REAL singing. It was amazing.

Rooms:
Alright. Beds were uncomfortable. Nice and big though. The tile in the showers is really dark and that means no need to clean properly. They are mouldy.

Security:
I heard from three different couples that during their stay their room had been broken in to. One couple had pictures of their patio door that had been tampered with. After reporting the break ins to mgt, all couples were told by security that they were drunk and left their doors open. Seriously? Very sketchy.

Other:
Sunset Cove beach is the best place to hang out at this resort. Yes, there are a few cats but nothing crazy. There were 3 or 4 cute little thing running around and I don't even like cats.

I found some of the staff a bit sketch. I saw one bartender passing something to a guest across the bar. I don't know what it was - none of my business - but I could speculate. Later, I saw some members of the staff then bother them the rest of the trip, "who are you fancy boy? where did you get that hat - looks expensive? you must be something"... They were of course one of the couples who said they had their room broken into. How would this happen if staff is searched by security on the way in and out of their shift? Also there are cameras. Part of the business I guess.

The spa was really nice and hot water was fantastic at the end of the day.

That's about it. I would never go back to GP, unless it was very cheap. Highly recommend going to Holiday Inn, believe it or not. It's smaller, cheaper, much more friendly, food better, and entertainment was top notch.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank peelee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!