“Awesome”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Brampton, Canada
“Awesome”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at this resort Oct 3rd - Oct 10th.Except for a few minor incidents not worth mentioning we had a pleasant stay.This resort is huge, we felt we needed more time there to really enjoy all it had to offer .The staff was pleasant and attentive ,the rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable.We didn't really enjoy the after dinner evening shows, for the most part they were not to our taste,as native Jamaicans we felt as if our culture was misrepresented my husband and I travell extensively to other islands to learn the diffrent cultures and had we not being Jamaican we wouldn't have known diffrenly there is a lot more to us as a nation than what was potrayed.I do not understand why the entertainment manager was none Jamaican(Spanish) and so the real jamaican culture was deflected and was a figment of his beleif.The Nightly live Band by the Infinity Bar was always good,that i loved.With that said there's a jerk pit and restaurant by the Sunset Cove Beach but the chicken is rotisserie with sauce poured on top, so is the pork.where is the authentic jerk food? it's about time it is undertood that people are more open minded and when they come to Jamaica they come for the Authencity, there's no need to modify the taste of the food. Aside from that this rsort is definately a repeat.

Room Tip: rooms facing the ocean have a breathtaking view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Nancy154982
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Nancy154982,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments from your last stay at the GP Jamaica. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

We are more than happy to know you have had such a pleasant stay with us. We are always grateful to receive feedback about our resort as we work very hard to assure our guests have memorable vacation experiences.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you have experienced during your stay. At the same time, you can feel assured that your comments helped us identify or focus on any possible deficiencies that may exist in our hotel and take whatever corrective actions may be necessary.

It is a pleasure to have had the opportunity of hosting you. We look forward to seeing you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any upcoming visit to Palladium...

Best regards

Assistant Room Division Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,815)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We recently returned from a stay for a wedding and I have got to say that it was indeed the worst vacation I have had to date. These setiments were felt by everyone in our group of 30+ along with anyone I happen to speak with as random guests of the resort. The check in was disastorous and wrought with attitude. Upon arrival at our room it took us 20 minutes to figure out how to turn the power on in the room (thanks for the instructions). It seemed to be that there were only a handful and I do mean less than 5 individuals working at your resort that deserve their jobs. Every other person encountered at the resort was either distainful, straight up rude, or ignored your presence as clearly chatting with co-workers or talking on their cell phones was much more relevant. Although I do have to admit watching the staff drink cocktails first hand or 2 of the resort cab/bus drivers follow to intoxicated ladies into their hotel room the real highlight of what is meant by quality service. There were at least several other prize moments showed by your staff the fact that men wearing proper dress shorts (fabric not swim wear) are denied access to a restaurant while individuals with holes in their sweat pants are given access, that hostess will not seat a party of 8 individuals at a table of until all members are there as one person had to use the washroom. That only one of the waiters had the curtesy to explain what the symbols meant on the margins of the menu on our final night. That the life guards feel its appropriate to come up and demand a smoke from a guest and when the guest responds with "pardon" your lifguard continues on with "give me a [--] smokeman". I did love the fact that I walked up to staff at to use some of the equipment included in the package to have 6 members of staff just stare at the computer or their phones until and individual had to run up from his task at hand to give me a waiver, or to top it off explain to your catamaran staff that we had 2 captains both of whom had years of sailing experience and be told he would give us a "quick refresher for a SMALL FEE". I especially liked the fact that my husband had been ill for 24hrs from food served at the resort and had tried to make a presence at the wedding to become steadily worse and need a ride back to our room to have the bartender in the adults only pool skoff at me and explain to the dispatcher that I am claiming he is sick and needs a ride to wait 10 minutes and walk to the Lady hamilton lobby to request a ride directly. The fact that they ran out of alcohol on a daily basis and the fact that neither the air conditioner or bar fridge managed to keep anything cold

I can thank you directly for convincing myself and everyone I know to never ever go to Jamaica and to clearly avoid any resort associated with the palladium name

2 Thank Go to Dominican t
Saint Cloud, Florida
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed at this resort with friends Nov 3-10, 2012. We all had a really great time. Check in and check out was very easy even though we had diffuculties getting there due to "airline problems". We were supposed to arrive there at 11 am and it ended up being 10 pm thanks to American Airlines and the confusion at the Montego Bay airport as to who was going to transport us. Our room was great however my husband and friends had a couple of cold showers.The mini bar consisted of 2 Red Stripes, 2 bottles of water, 1 coke, 1 diet coke, 1 sprite and 1 orange soda which was stocked accordingly every day. If you wanted more there was a fee. The bed was comfortable but the couch was not. Air conditioner worked great as long as we kept a key in the slot to keep the electric on. If you took the key out all electric was off which caused you to reset your clock everytime. The view from our balcony was absoulutely beautiful. View of the ocean with great sunset photos taken. There was no room service but this resort is rather large and I can understand that. I would not reccommend shopping at the shops at the resort (except the duty free) as their sales tax is 16 %. Also, as our Apple representative told us, do not exchange your American money for Jamaican money. All places there take your American dollar. Make sure you do not take large bills as change is limited at the resort. They only "change" up to $40.00 per person and run out quick. Take small bills cause if you go shopping off resort most of tha place "will not have change". The adult pool was quite close to our room which lead to another beautiful beach. The main pool (which is where we all went the most) was great!! The bartenders at that pool made for great entertainment. Drinks were given in small cups so I would reccommend taking your own mug as they would fill them! While we were at the pool bar all of our belongings were left at the lounge chairs and nobody ever bothered them. We never once had any problems with staff or security. Once in the room we could not hear anything from the outside. The food was "ok". Our favorite restaurant would be the Asian dining. It was the best meal we had there. I also would reccommend the Jerk Hut. As far as the steak restaurant we would only reccommend the Filet. That is what I ordered and it was really good. My husband got the ribeye and he said it wasnt that good as it was all fat and grissle. I heard other people commenting as well that the filet is the best thing to get there. As far as the excursions....well let me just say the best one we had was with a taxi driver rather than booking through Apple...Booking through Apple you are on a time limit. With the taxi you can do what you want for how long you want as the driver stays with you the entire time and will take you anywhere you want to go. We asked our driver to take us to a restaurant that had authentic Jamiacan food. He took us to a place called Sweet Spice. The food was great and was very inexpensive. The only disappointing thing about that restaruant was that my friend wanted to try the ox tail and they were out. He also made stops along the way to give us a bit of history about the island which we all found informative. The one excursion that we booked through Apple was not as good. We went to the Black River, YS falls and Appleton Rum. The black river was good however the lunch was late which put us behind. We only had an hour at the falls and then off to the Rum. We was supposed to return to the resort around 630 pm but did not get back until 8pm. Mind you we were picked up at 715 am, had to go to 2 other resorts in Negril before heading out and was the last ones to be dropped off. The breakfast buffets opens at 7 am which only gave us 15 minutes to be seated, eat and get to the lobby for pick up. Lunch was around 1130 at the black river (which was ok but not great for an extra fee) and there was no where to eat from that time until we got back to the resort. When we voiced our concern to the tour guide, her response to us was "Next time stay in Negril". How rude and unprofessional. Over all we all had a great time and would problaby return.

2 Thank Tracie K
Dear Tracie K,

We would like to thank you for taking the time in giving us your valued feedback in regards to your experience. Thank you also for your good comments about our resort and facilities. We really appreciated it.

As a five star resort, the comfort and satisfaction of our guests takes very high priority. While our team has put their best effort in addressing the matter in a timely manner; you might have experienced some challenges, for which we would like to apologize.

It is a pleasure to have had the opportunity of hosting you. We look forward to seeing you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact us; if there is anything at all we can do from this end.

Best Regards,

OCEAN ISLE BEACH
Reviewed November 14, 2012

a group of 8 went to the palladium jamaica on nov.6-13 2012....this was not a very busy time..only one buffet was open as expected,,, so the excuse that they were full doesn't apply here

we are 5 time repeaters to the palladium and know to submit requests for rooms a week prior to arrival without any guarantee, although in the past years the requests were always met and upgradets were usually given.....this time however was different... we arrived at around 2:00 and discovered 3 of the 4 requests were met but the most important one (bottom floor/can't do steps) wasn't...after pleading for awhile an upgrade was found.... question... why could'nt this have just been assigned since it WAS available????? anyway, of course they were not all ready yet, so we went to have lunch an upon returning after check -in time , 2 of the 4 were still not ready...
how long does it take to clean a room??? like i said earlier,they were not full... the last room was ready at 5:30pm!!! well, after a few words exchanged with reception, they called to aplogize for any inconvenience and offered each room a small bottle of rum and a dinner reservation... ok, accepted that's what i expected from a palladium resort....

when nothing arrived in our rooms, i went to guest relations and they had no clue what i was talking about!!! more words and got dinner reservations for the week and the rum showed up in our rooms... i really don't like being confrontational...i.'m on vacay!!!...anyway,with that we are ready to have a great vacay

then the small problems start.... when returning to our rooms throughout the week, after the maids had left and closets were locked we discovered no towels, no soap, no coffee, no bottle openers in the rooms for the beer in the fridge, no fill ups in the fidge and so on.... these problems were divided into 4 rooms in our group...luckily, we could borrow from one another when we were not left something....we called the lobby everytime waiting for someone to bring the items but no one ever showed up.... called for 5 days to the lobby for bottle openers, told the maids and maintence people and when we checked out, still didn't have them!!! these were all little problems that just kept adding up and ruined my loyalty to the palladium chain...have always bragged to people how good they treat you but not here.... we felt completely ignored.... we shouldn't have to go track down management to get a towel for my evening bath!!! anyway, it didn't ruin the vacay..as i just won't be returning to a paladium resort.

the positive was the pools are awsome, rooms clean, food at ala cartes excellent and bartenders at roselle pool were great, drinks strong and good, live bands nitely but same reggae style music everynight.... so, bottom line is we had a great time in jamaica but were dissapointed in the customer service of palladium.

there is alot of walking but if you ask,they will take you whereever you want to go.... and fast!! and sometimes backwards!!! you have to experience the ride...lolol

Room Tip: jamaica side......villa 11,12 or 13 with an ocean view
5 Thank NcSteelergirl
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Well let me start with the taxi guy who started his car by hot wiring it. But nevertheless he got us to hotel with of course your usual stop to buy a couple of items (not suggested) When getting to the hotel we were greeted with your normal Caribbean style greeting which included some pretty good rum punch. The check in process was nice and smooth and just from the looks of the lobby I knew this was a beautiful hotel. I went with a couple of friends so i got to see a couple of different rooms and they were all nice and clean, only thing is with a resort of this size if you get a room to far away from the dinning area or pool it kind of a pain to wait for golf cart to bring you back and forth. But when get to pool it's all worth it because that sunset is just breath taking whether your tipsy or not. All the food was pretty good but if you like spice go to there Indian restaurant but just make sure you make reservation as soon as you get to your room. If your low on money and cant do to many activities make sure you go ATVing you wont regret it.

Room Tip: Close to main pool
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank HappyJetting
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed November 14, 2012

This was my first experience in an all inclusive resort and I have to say that I was positively surprised.
The resort is large but well set up and comfortable.
The staff, in its majority, is really pleasant and helpful.
The choice at the buffet restaurant is wide and changes are made everyday.
I spent the weekend with my 6 yo son, he really enjoyed but I think more activities/equipments could be propose for the children.
I will certainly return.
Thanks to the entire team.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RafjaM
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear RafjaM,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am glad to read about all the wonderful experiences you had during your stay, your positive comments are greatly appreciated.

I am pleased to know you loved the exquisite meals and the entertainment among the other great aspects of our Resort which you have mentioned. We would love to host you again in the future.

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,

Washingtonville, New York, United States
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I will go step by step with this review and will be as honest as possible. We stayed at this resort November 3 - November 10th.

Check In: very smooth and fast. We were greeted with delicious rum punch and then went to check in. We were greeted by Joaquin who sat us down and checked us in. He tried to get us to sit in on a 90 minute sales pitch, but after telling him a couple of times that we would think about it he finally let us go to our room. He was very helpful and was not to pushy about the sales pitch.

Room: Our rooms were in Villa 14. Rooms 1431 and 1432. The view was breathtaking and the rooms were decent. There is quite a bit of wear and tare on the rooms which was unexpected especially since this is a newer resort. The beds are very uncomfortable and so are the chairs and the couch in the living room. The pillows are tolerable, but not the best. there is a pillow menu, but you have to pay per night for a new pillow which we were not going to do. There is no room service which really stinks especially when it is an all inclusive resort. The air conditioning is TERRIBLE. We never got cool in our room even with leaving the key in the slot all day to keep the air on all day. The sheets were always a bit damp because the air did not work properly at all.

Pool: The main pool and Roselle pool were both beautiful. There is an adult pool and we wish some of the adults would have used it when they were doing some very inappropriate things especially around my two young children (6 and 3). We left one of the pools because a couple was being completely inappropriate in front of my children. We feel the staff at the pool should have asked the couple to go to the adult pool or behave in a family friendly manner! My Adidas flip flops were also stolen at the main pool the first day we arrived. We spoke to the pool attendant (who early was entering the men's bathroom while making out with a guest) about the shoes and he said to check with the front desk daily to see if they got turned in a we did, but no luck. I had to buy a pair of plastic flip flops and my feet hurt me for the rest of the trip. The bartender at the main pool also was very inappropriate and made me feel so uncomfortable I didn't even order the rest of the drinks I needed to get for my family.

Beach: The beaches are beautiful. Our favorite was sunset cove. It was great to swim in and just relax. We walked to the lobby and got a cart to take us there and it was a very short ride. We never had a problem getting a cart to or from the beach.

Food: All of the food was excellent. The only complaint we had was one night at the Mexican restaurant the food was a amazing and then the next night they had a different chef and everything was completely different and not very good. Besides that we loved everything.

The 2nd to last night was had an issue which we did report to security. Firstly, when in your room you can hear everyone's doors opening and closing. Everything seems to echo. So now that you know that let me continue. My family and I were sound asleep and I heard the electricity go out and then about 30 seconds later click back on, I fell back asleep and heard a big bang and a door slam shut. I figured it was one of the other guests slamming there door. When I woke up that morning I noticed my chain on our door was busted off and realized the noise I heard was someone breaking into my room. Security was called and we were told someone with a key must have unlocked the door and then slammed it open for the chain to break. They used some kind of machine to see when and who's key was used and we were told we would get an update about what happened once the info was put into the computer, but no one contacted us again about it. We did notice more security walking around our villa after this happened. We were very nervous from that point on and stacked our luggage and some chairs in front of our doors that last evening. Nothing was taken or stolen, but we were so scared that someone was able to get into our room when we were sleeping and especially because I had my children in that room with me.

We did have a nice time, but be very cautious about staying here. Read all the reviews and make a smart decision... This is as honest of a review I can give. This resort could be amazing, the management needs to just control the staff and make sure they are all acting appropriately and doing there jobs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Gggls613
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!