“Looks can be deceiving!”

Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Upon first glance, it is a beautiful resort, I was traveling in a group of 19, We arrived a day late due to an airline malfunction. The resort was notified that we would be arriving a day late. Upon arrival our rooms had apparently been given away as they were not ready. We had booked ocean view, adjoining and two double beds versus the king bed. Two rooms given were king beds and not ocean view, we asked the desk for a room change, after several hours we received the requested rooms however, both rooms were extremely smelly and hard to breathe in and we were charged extra for the ocean view. It was like the had mold and mildew in them. We then requested another change and said forget the ocean view, just get us in a room at that point we had been hanging around in the stairwell with our luggage for 6 hours. Finally we were given rooms to our basic satisfaction.If you are unable to walk for long period of time, this resort is not for you. The food was not of a quality you would expect in a resort such as this. The restaurants that were advertised were not always open. Coffee pots, toasters and toilet seats were broken, water everywhere on the floors in the common areas which made for slippery going. There were very few staff members that were actually courteous most of the time they had there hand out for a tip before they were finished with their service. I was told by another guest that the daycare had locked up for the night and left her 3 year old sleeping in the daycare, seriously that is frightening. The tour we took to a craft market was very scary, the tour guide apparently had a deal with some of the vendors, they grabbed hold of us as we exited the bus and wouldn't let us go. They would go as far as to block us in their huts and demand you make a purchase before they let you go. They intimidated several of our group to the point of tears. The tour guide was not looking out for our best interest, perhaps she was getting a cut from those vendors. The pools and beach were very nice, especially the adult pool and the huge whirlpool. One of our travelers slipped on water in her room, fractured her toe and ended up in the hospital, she called the front desk for help and no one responded. Another guest had her toilet seat break and she hurt her foot, those two ladies and their companions even left early. Security did not come when called when one of our guests was frightened, We had at least 5 if not more who were violently ill during the trip and several more upon return home. I could go on and on, but hopefully you have got the point.

Room Tip: Stay out of building 15 and bottom floors,having an ocean view is very nice, but not sure it's w...
6  Thank MrsGrube

Reviewed October 21, 2012

recently a group of 19 traveled to Montego Bay with reservations at the GP. Our flights were delayed a day due to airline issues which happen. however, upon arrival, our reservations were not honored though they were notified of our late arrival x2. in the end, the GP assistant director of guest relations did little to rectify the situation, and even blamed our group for the week of mishaps.
5 people of 19 were violently ill, due to food or virus, we do not know. 2 more became ill after returning home.
1 person was injured when water leaked down from air in above room, and had to be at hospital for the day, then travel home early with fractured great toe.
the front desk staff was atrocious, rude, and arrogant. I was passed off from one person to the next on a daily basis in attempting to sort the issues out.
the bottom floor rooms at Jamaica portion of resort are moldy, and unclean. this creates problems for anyone with breathing issues. refrigerators and air is spotty on all floors.
staff of ltd provider at sunset beach inappropriately friendly with younger female member of our group.
housekeeping is fabulous, but isnt that the usual way of it, the lowest paid staff are the best and nicest of the lot. they deserve every tip they get. the pool staff great, and the GP beach staff very good, in other words the direct contact staff were the highlight. the buffets were hit and miss with staff, seems the younger generation as well as the front desk need a refresher in guest service.
the staff driving the carts which are available to travel guests around this large spread out resort were unattentive and rude...not all of them mind you, Henroy was the best of the best and cant be complimented enough. however, most of the others were young and far too interested in their cell phone activity to bother with carrying a guest to a destination within the resort.
I am a middle age woman, did not feel safe or secure at this resort. twice our guests called security in the night with no response at all.
bedding at Jamaica side were sufficient, but thin and could be much better quality.
I would not recommend this resort to anyone, their are too many high quality resorts such as Iberostars for the same or less money. Hope this review helps prevent a disasterous vacation.

Room Tip: section 11 the best but stay away from ground floor, it is moldy. as you go up in number you are muc...
1  Thank NortheastPatriciaM
Reviewed October 21, 2012

i had a bad experience at grand palidium on the 14-15 of october 2012, the staff are very prejudice and i was not treated with respect i couldnt get any food to eat only at the buffet and they gave me attitude i would never go back there its a nice hotel for vacation but the staff, they are unkind. i paid 20,640 for me and my mom and it was not worth it.

Room Tip: rooms on the south are quiter
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kaydia L
Reviewed October 20, 2012

General Maintenance:
• Pool: jets broken, cracks, mildew, garbage
• beach filth & garbage- like old Montego Bay
• walkways garbage and paint splotches
• broken lights, fans, holes in ceilings, decaying structures
• chipped and stained/holy/frayed furniture in general areas
Room:
• many guests state mini-bar empty upon arrival to room- contents minimal
• drinks delivered warm and refrigerator is a "cooler"- will keep items cool... it does partially cool over @24hrs
• lampshades cracked, crooked, and stained
• walls stained, dirty
• stained blankets
• chipped and stained/holy/frayed furniture
• room does not get cleaned
Service:
• when you need help you are presented with crazy excuses and argued with repeatedly and denied access to the manager
Dining:
• buffet has very limited selection: lots of fresh fruit, limited clean meats- some processed meat, mainly gravied, sauced meats
• most of the time they do not open on time
• service is unreliable- sometimes good- sometimes outrageously rude
• no food in the room- no room service is a problem
• posted menu: foods are often not available

Room Tip: Stay home- all the rooms have problems. Other guests told me.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Colleen S
Reviewed October 18, 2012

A short drive from Montego Bay, the Grand Palladium welcomes new arrivals with a beautiful open air lobby - and gracious check-in staff. Cold towels and a refreshing beverage were offered as we waited to check in, and we were quickly escorted to our room. The hotel is one property with two hotels - the Grand Palladium Jamaica and the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton - each with their own lobby. We were on the GPJ side, but very close to the lobby, so not always a lot of walking involved to get anywhere. The overall property is host to over 1100 rooms - and sports the largest swimming pool in Jamaica. There is a good selection of restaurants, a sports bar, a casino, a disco, an awesome kid's club, and a beautiful theatre for evening shows. The spa is on the Lady Hamilton side (where it seemed more of the services were) and offers a serene respite - well deserved! We found all the staff to be most eager to assist where they could - and very friendly.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.....

Room Tip: Lady Hamilton side has more services and better beach
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
11  Thank SomeBeachCalgary
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I arrived in a group of 19 to celebrate our friends 50th birthday. We were a day late because of Jet Blue and looked forward to the remainder of our vacation relaxing in a beautiful place. What we got was not relaxing. We were suppose to be in ocean view rooms but only a couple of the rooms were that. Several of the rooms had only one bed and other than two couples that traveled with our group and a couple of singles the rest were to be two beds and so the problems began. My friend and I paid extra to upgrade to an ocean view and when we got to the room it was on the walkway side. This was after all our luggage had been delivered so my friend stayed in that room while I went back to the front desk. The young lady realized it was her mistake and set us up in another building this time with an ocean view. However, the room was not cleaned yet and we were told to check back in a few hours. Our bags were returned to the lobby and we went to get something to eat. After eating we checked a few things out and then were assigned to a room in building 15. You'd think all would be well at that point but it was not. Upon entering the room I could smell a musty?, moldy?, bad odor. We thought maybe it would go away after the air conditioner was on so we gave it time. We then got on our swimsuits and headed for the pool. Later in the day we returned to find that the smell was still there but decided to give it a go anyway. Mind you others in our group were dealing with the same situations and four of our 19 never got into a room until well into the evening.

To say my first day and night there was bad is an understatement. I woke up abruptly in the middle of the night with my nose and eyes burning and breathing heavily. I knew then that we would have to be moved. The next day was spent on that. They took me to a room in building 16 and it smelled exactly the same. One person in our group ended up taking on the roll of troubleshooter and told me to let her know the outcome and when I got in touch with her she got right on the phone and finally they took me to another room in building 12. That room was fine. Another person had the same problem I did in the middle of the night and also had to be moved and after comparing notes with even others we realized that several changes had been made because of the bad smell. All in all we ended up spread out in buildings 11, 12, 13 and 14.

Buildings 15 and 16 have odors. I have since read reviews that other buildings have odors. The bellman that took us to our final room actually said to me that he bet the smell was from the air conditioner. My guess is that there is mold somewhere. Mold can make people "very" sick. One of the gentlemen with us mentioned the smell to an employee and a comment was made, "are you allergic to mold"? Those comments kind of tell me something.

My roomate called for extra water and was given a hard time about it. We even told them to take the sodas and beer from the mini bar because neither of us drank any of that. One of our group slipped in their room on water that was leaking somewhere near the closet and broke her toe. They called at four in the morning to report it and no one showed up. A cleaning lady in their building the next morning told them to report it again and then finally action was taken to get her to the hospital. Two people got food poisoning. The beds are very hard. Need I say more? There is sooo much more.

Jamaica is beautiful. The resort is nice but I certainly would have guessed it to be more than just 4 to 5 years old. Several of the front desk people were very rude. The restaurant staff are nice, the maids are nice, the groundskeepers are nice. I feel tapped dry from the tipping especially with all the room changes. They sent someone different every time so we had to tip again. If you want results you have to fignt for them. Don't hesitate talking with guest services as I did but ask for someone higher up, a manager perhaps. I ended up talking with Corita from guest services the day before I came home and she was very nice. I got our money refunded from the upgrade. I told her about the water situation and even pointed out the young lady who had given my friend a hard time. I asked if perhaps our original rooms had been given away as we were a day late and she said that may have happened. That is "not" okay!

If you choose to stay at Grand Palladium make sure you check out your room before you settle in. Make sure you have bath towels, hand towels and washcloths and beverage in the fridge. One of the rooms we were in was missing things and as soon as we got in someone other than the maids arrived with the items and said they would be servicing our room. Nice right? Well that was the beginning of the tipping and if you didn't leave a tip in the fridge you didn't get it stocked. Others in our group mentioned the same thing almost like they purposely wait to bring these items so they do get tipped right off.

My favorite part of this place is the shore however they need to take better care of the shoreline from one end of the resort to the other. One beach was littered and just outside our building is rocky and interesting so I walked down to explore only to find it filthy with litter cups, paper, shoes you name it.

All in all........not impressed!!!

Wow! What an eye opener this experience was. Makes me sour on all inclusive resorts. Others in the group have gone to places like this before and had great things to say but all of us have come home with a real bad feeling about Grand Palladium.

Room Tip: Make sure you check out your room before settling in. Check for stocked fridge, all towels but most...
13  Thank Sherry A
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing with us your experience in the Grand Palladium Jamaica, about your comments I would like to remark that:

As I showed your group leader the only request sent by the Travel Agency to our Reservations Department was “adjoining rooms” this is the reason why on arrival we had to change the assignment of some of the rooms in your group. As commented requests are not guaranteed and are subject on the availability on arrival date. Despite this our Front Office staff did their best following your wishes, sorry if it take some time to change the room assignment. Rooms with ocean view have extra charge…

Sorry about the odor in some rooms, unfortunately in a tropical weather it can happen that a room not being assigned for some days can have mildew odor, especially with the hard rains we had during that week. Anyway we agree that it can’t happen after our regular room checks. Sorry if you had to move again.

We are very sorry for the incident in room where someone of your party broke a toe, in this case we would like to deal with the situation privately and find a solution for both parts. If you are in touch with them they can contact me directly to the following address: assistdtor1.jamaica@fiestahotelgroup.com

I am happy to know that Corita compensates you with the refund of the upgrade for the inconveniences experienced, as you can see every problem can be solved if you contact any of our Guest Relations department or Management.

Tipping is optional and always at the Guest’s convenience, it is certainly not our intention for our guests to feel uncomfortable. We humbly apologize for any discomfort you experienced and assure you that this is not the typical experience of our guests.

Regarding beaches, in Grand Palladium Jamaica there are three different beaches for all tastes; Las Brisas Beach is a soft sandy beach with some rocky parts, sundecks, Bamboo beds, showers, loungers... perfect location for hotel weddings. Sunset Cove Beach where the water-sports centre is located with water bikes, canoes, and catamarans. Its turquoise waters are ideal for swimming snorkeling and diving. And the "Coral Cove Beach", the only beach on the resort that is reserved to adults only, some guests love it for being so peaceful and quiet. Sorry if did not like them.

We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Jose Torres
Accommodations Manager

Reviewed October 15, 2012

A family friend of mine just got married at the GP and this resort was ABSOLUTELY wonderful! I have never been to a resort before but for this being my first time I was highly impressed. This may be long but it is definitely worth reading if you are planning a trip there.
Check-in- The check in process for us was very fast and efficient. As soon as we got off the bus we were greeted with welcome drinks and a smile from everyone. Bernice checked us in and was very helpful, fast, and friendly. Maybe the overall time was 5 minutes? They didn't waste any time getting us onto a shuttle and to our room.
Room- The room was BEAUTIFUL. Marble floors, huge jacuzzi tubes with jets in them. Oversized robes and slippers waiting on the bed. Plus we had an ocean view room which was breathtaking. Flat screen tv with common U.S. channels (ESPN, MTV, CBS, A&E, ABC). The closet was a good size with hangers and shelves for clothes, although there were not any dressers in the rooms. The mini-fridge does come stocked with 4 sodas and 2 beers and ours was restocked daily. Because of the conservation of energy, the room requires a room key card to be put in a machine on the wall the turn the lights and air conditioning on. I shared a room with my mom and we just left one key in there at all times to make sure the room stayed cool and carried the other one with us. Our maid did not take it out, but I know some other people we traveled with, their maid took it out everyday and set it on their table. Another thing, if you open the sliding balcony door, the air will automatically shut off until it is closed. Not a big deal to us. The beds were not that great. VERY FIRM. So where the pillows. But honestly I was so beat by the end of the day I still slept like a rock.
Food- One of the buffets (Negril) was closed the entire time we were there due to updates but it was not a big deal to our family. We did frequent the MoBay buffet and it was good. I'm not a huge fan of buffets but we are in Jamaica! Every morning for breakfast they did have tons of food to choose from AND the had a "made to order" station as well. I would get an omelet or fried eggs and the wait was 5-10 minutes long. Its vacation, so I was in no rush anyway. They also have a fresh smoothie bar every morning as well. They have about 7 different kinds to choose from. It was delicious. The wait staff was amazing. So friendly. Couldn't of asked for better people. They pulled your chairs out for you everytime. Also, if you told them you wanted coffee, the would wait until you got back from getting your food to bring you fresh, hot, coffee. And with a smile. Lunch and dinner were good as well. Like I said, to me a buffet, is a buffet, is a buffet, no matter where you go. Each night was a "themed" food night. But they did always have an "Italian Corner" where they would have 10-15 different ingredients to choose from to make your own pasta, with 3 different sauces, and 5 different types of noodles. They also had an "Uncle Sam" corner with made to order, beef steak, chicken, hotdogs, pork chops, and hamburgers. There are so many waiters and waitresses you NEVER had to wait for anything. Within finishing your plate, they were there to dispose of it within 30 seconds. We did try the a la carte restaurants as well. Our favorite was Bubba's Steakhouse. Delicious. Of course those restaurants don't have nearlythe amount to choose from it is great! I wasn't too impressed with the Italian restaurant, but again, its Jamaica! They do the best they can. It also nice they have purified tap water, so it isn't necessary to drink bottled water the entire time.
Pools- I personally only utilized the main pool which is HUGE. It is unreal. The best thing about it is that theres a more quiet side then theres a more "party" side to it. Theres also kids around but it is big enough to find plenty of quiet area if thats what you like. I like to watch everything thats going on so I was on the more active side. The pool had built in beach chairs reclined at the perfect spot to lay out and get a great tan but also be half way in the water. This pool is unreal! This is also the pool with the swim up bar. It also has built in barstools at it which makes it nice.
Bars- I loved all the bars we visited. And theres tons of them. Almost every corner you turn. There were always friendly bartenders working at everyone. It is unreal how friendly they are. I reccommend you try the "dirty banana" its awesome! Its also nice just to try the "bartender special" since they all make different drinks. I do recommend buying or bringing a large cup or bottle of your own so you don't have to keep refilling the cups they have.
Beaches- The beaches were ok. They are man made beaches, so it's definitely not the white baby powder sand with the crystal clear water BUT they served its purpose as a beach. The beach on the Jamaica side is way too rocky to even attempt to get in but the beach on the Lady Hamilton side was great. Its also where the snorkeling, sail boats, catamarans, and the Jerk Hut is. This resort is very VERY big, but I didn't mind the walk. We are eating and drinking all we want so the exercise of walking didn't bother me a bit.
Entertainment Team- I can't say enough good things about them! Every morning at 9 a.m. the got the huge speakers out and started playing music. They worked their butts of from the time they got there until the time they left. I mean it is unreal. They start with streatching and yoga on the beach and continue on through the day with water aerobics, salsa dancing lessons, zumba, drinking games, beach olympics, reggae dance lessons, they would get in the pool with you, participate in the games with you, tennis competitions, basketball games, bingo, treasure hunts, I could go on and on. THey were GREAT! And they do hand out prizes!!! At night time the shows wer watched were great as well. Unfortunately we only made it to 2 becuase drinking and being in the sun all day wore me out by about 9 o clock p.m. Also, the Infinity Bar every night either had a live reggae band or steel band and the entertainment team would come up there after performing and dance and sing with you or for you. Then if you decided to move down to the Disco club they would come there too. It was phenomenal. Never a dull moment.

I seriously cant say enough great things about this place. Everyone is very welcoming, very doting, ready to take care of you. We did bring lots of $1 bills and tipped almost everyone. We went on a tour one day and our driver told us there minimum wage for 40 hours a week was equivalent to $58 U.S. a week. It's unreal. He said most the people who work on resorts make about $100 a week. So they work hard for the extra tips they earn. I would say to make sure you bring all the sunblock, cigarettes, things like that you need because their sales tax is %16.5 so it definitely adds up quick!

I'm not sure why anyone would give a negative review of this place. It's wonderful. I definitely have a new appreciation for the life I live once I see how hard they work to make a living. I completely agree with all the postive reviews for this place. I do beleive some people are way too picky and have to realize Jamaica is no where near as fortunate as the U.S. Plus it's vacation. Enjoy it! Don't nit pick. I would go back in a heartbeat. :-)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
20  Thank Sierra F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!