“Wedding Disappointment”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Our stay at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton from November 20, 2010 through to November 27, 2010 was rocky from the start. When we first arrived we were informed that our children had been assigned a room in an entirely different building even though we had requested adjoining rooms. After approximately 3 hours we resolved the issue and had one of our forty six guests switch rooms with our children to ensure they were on the same floor as us.

I am an organized, detailed oriented person and I was immensely disappointed at the lack of detail and attention that when into our wedding ceremony and reception. I had specifically inquired in writing about labels for the buffet tables, which there were none. I was told in writing that the flowers, that were the wrong colour, that I paid extra for and the banquet chairs with covers and ties would be transported to our reception, the flowers were not there and we received plastic chairs to sit on. The water levels in the centerpieces were inconsistent and noticeable as there were (2) per table nor were the candles in them lit or attempted to have been lit and our cake was not even remotely similar to what was requested and confirmed that we would receive. Last but not least the fire show that we had selected as our grand finale to watch while we ate our cake was held in a completely different location than where our cake was served. Not only did the guests not get to eat but they had to stand jammed together for the 45 minutes while fighting off the Resort’s guests who pushed their way through the crowd to see the show, unaware that it was a private function that we paid for.

In addition we had purchased the Ruby Package which included Wedding Bliss Décor and a Bottle of Champagne for the Bride and Groom, neither were ever received, nor were we ever asked about our stay from the wedding coordinator or the front desk while checking out.

On top of all of that our biggest frustration that evening and leading up to our wedding was the lack of response. The only correspondence we had with our wedding coordinator the day of our wedding was when she was queuing us down the aisle. I would have thought, as our wedding coordinator, she would have been there to ensure things went smoothly and that everything was to our liking. There were number of small items that simply could have been corrected had she been present, which might have made an impact on our overall experience.

This is by no means is an exhaustive list of the poor customer service we received from the wedding staff. Our wedding at the Grand Palladium Hamilton Lady Hamilton was costly and it is unacceptable to have had so little effort put into it. I hope that this is a one-time experience that no other bride will ever have to endure. I feel compelled to make my complaint known if for no other reason than I do not wish to see anyone else go through an experience such as this. A letter similar to this was sent to the manager of the resort via mail and email and a response nor acknowledgement was ever received.

• Stayed: November 2010
9  Thank LisaYvonne
Write a ReviewReviews (5,439)

Reviewed January 29, 2011

We just got back from Jamaica. We allowed friends of ours to book our stay at the Palladium Lady Hamilton. We were a bit worried because depending on what site you go on, some reviews said the hotel was 4 star, some 4 and 1/2 and some 5 star. We loved it. The other couple we went with, has been to Mexico and Cuba and we have gone to the Dominican. Some things that we agreed were better at the Palladium in Jamaica were: 1. The water (the drinking water is safe in Jamaica, it is filtered and is safe straight from the tap...no one got traveller's diarrhea). 2. The people, they speak english and are always singing, dancing, laughing and smiling. 3. The food...the food was amazing, including beef, chicken, fish, pork...lobster was $30USD extra but was worth the price. People of Jamaica also eat well, so you don't feel that you are eating like a king while the local people are eating poorly. 4. The rum is very tasty and the rum cream liquor is very tasty, as well. 5. The size of the resort and views. Although, for some the size may be a draw back because they will need to walk a bit more, but for most the walk is not too bad and the size of the resort ensures the beaches and pools, restaurants and bars are not over crowded. You can get a nice lawn chair, shade, a drink, a table, etc. without waiting very long. Entertainment was a little poorer at this hotel than we've experienced elsewhere.

2  Thank RlynnP
Reviewed January 28, 2011

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton from January 15th to January 22nd. First off, I was very concerned with going to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton after having read all the negative reviews, especially that this was our first family trip by air with our young children (7yrs and 4 yrs). I have to say that I really don't understand all the negative reviews that I read here, they just didn't stand up.

When we landed at Montego Bay airport, we got our luggage and cleared customs within about 20-30 minutes. No problem mon! Then transport was a breeze! We exited the airport to be greated by a parrot mascot and a Jamaican on stilts who was giving out plastic necklaces, "Welcome to Jamaica!". The kids loved it! Then we were escorted to a nice air conditioned bus and within 30 minutes had arrived at the Lady Hamilton.

Once off the bus, someone greated us with refreshing rum punches. Someone else wrote that the punch was on a table out of sight....well my friend, we actually had a person standing right past where they unload the suitcases holding a silver tray full of drinks. They even had some orange juice ready for the children.

We then got our welcome documents with our room number. Our room was not ready but they suggested we leave our luggage and go grab a bit to eat, which we happily did (we were all starving at this point after our travels). Went to the Blue Lagoon buffet and were graciously greeted by Michael and Omar. They asked us our names (we were a party of 7) and remembered all of us by name the next morning when we showed up for breakfast. What beautiful, personal service, something I have NEVER experienced in other all inclusive resorts. After lunch, rooms where ready and we were driven to our rooms by the bellboy.

I will try to keep this review to the point as I can go on and on.

The rooms: We stayed in Villa 3924 and our friends in 3419. Both our rooms were very clean, nice and fresh. No bad odors, air conditionning worked great (you will notice that if your patio door isn't closed all the way, the air won't work). Great for the environment, not wasting energy! I liked this aspect.

Both our Villas were very close to the Sunset Cove beach, Poseidon restaurant (with bar) and the Jerk hut. We were very pleased because in our opinion Sunset Cove was the nicest beach to hang out at (bring water shoes to enjoy the beaches to the fullest--more sea urchin at some than others). Also jerk chicken and paella so delicious at the Jerk Hut. Beach close to bar for drinks (bring big cups). Beach never packed with people and has water sports and great snorkeling on the reef at this beach.

The infinity pool was beautiful. Many people comment that the water in the pool is ice cold, I disagree, it was very comfortable and easy to get into. Wasn't hot like a bath (who would want that anyway) but wasn't freezing cold either like many people say.

The food was delicious! I found the food at the Blue Lagoon and buffet Negril very tasty with lots of choices. Food I had was the perfect temperture, and I did not encounter any under cooked food or cold food that should be hot. Everything we ate was perfect and delicious. And we were 7 people in our party and no one had a bad comment about the food. We didn't try any of the "à la carte" restaurants except for the Poseidon, which we found to be very good as well.

The grounds are beautiful and those who complain about all the walking are in my opinion just lazy or out of shape, and to those I say, just call the bell boy and he'll come pick you up in a buggy!! Our villa was right off Sunset cove, at the other end of the resort (all the restaurants are in main lobby). It never took us more than 5 minutes to walk there, and that with 3 young children (7yrs, 5yrs and 4 yrs). So those who complain about the walking are just looking for something to be negative about!!!! The way I saw it is with all the walking we did, none of us gained a pound and we all pigged out on the delicious foods and drinks ( oh and for those who say the drinks are watered down....not true, there was more rum than punch in my drinks). Also some say that the service you get is better if you tip. I found this untrue as well because whether I tipped or not, I always was served in a polite and friendly way.

We also took a day trip to Fort Charlotte, Margaritaville (7 mile beach in Negril) and Rick's Café, where my friend and I jumped the cliff much to our kids dismay!! We has a blast though!!!!

Kid's Cove also very good with daily activities for our children that they enjoyed. Barbie and Bubbles are amazing!!!

If you are lucky to cross paths with the following staff, you will be blessed as they are wonderful, polite and made us feel like family: Michael and Omar at the Blue Lagoon Buffet, Barbie and Bubbles at the Kid's Cove, Maxine our day maid/attendant, Keisha at the Poseidon as well as the petite hostess there (I forgot her name---shame on me!!), and everyone else that we crossed paths with who always had a kind smile and a nice hello for us. We didn't encounter any of the negative staff members whom are often mentioned in other peoples reviews, everyone was pleasant!

I must admit I was a little disappointed with the beaches, I am used to being able to walk the shore. But this wasn't enough to say that I would not recommend this resort to my family or friends. I would definately go back!!! Already missing our new found Jamaican friends!!

Until next time,

Peace, Respect and Love
Ya Mon!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Patricia O
Reviewed January 27, 2011

My husband and I and another couple went to Grand Pallidium Lady Hamilton in Montego Bay Jamaica on Jan 16th 2011. There is nothing bad to say about this place it was clean, the food was good and the hospitality was amazing. It is a large property and we where near everything- very large pool, bars, beaches, restaurants all entertainment. There is nothing bad to say about this place. I highly recommend it for family or just yourself there is lots to do there.Everyone was friendly and very helpful I felt very safe there. We would go back there in a heart beat.

2  Thank Dilly46
Reviewed January 26, 2011

My family & I 6 in all stayed at the Lady Hamilton, after reading some of the reviews I was somewhat apprehensive due to the fact that a lot of people spoke about over booking and being transferred to other hotels. This vacation for us was a healing process due to the fact I had just lost my brother and we needed to relax and unwind so I was a little reluctant to say the least.
Having said this I ended up writing an email to the General Manager about my concerns in return he wrote back that same evening and reassured me that I had nothing to worry about, he was just transferred to this hotel and let me say he did a wonderful job.
Once we arrived I asked to see him to thank him and his front desk staff, they were all wonderful.
We have travelled to many islands, this is not my first trip south and I will say that the staff, including pool people, bar people anyone who worked there had to be the nicest people I have encountered.
I found that the African Americans who came from the US or Canada were the rudest people and they were so rude to their own kind, like they were owed something, this was disturbing to me. At one point I could not take it anymore and told a mouthy girl from the US she had no right to speak to anyone like that and should be ashamed to talk to her own kind in that tone....she walked away with her head down and the young man who was making the burgers on the beach thanked me.
The food at this resort was absolutely fabulous; there was an abundance of food no matter where you went anytime of the day.
The resort was very clean and they were always repairing, painting doing what they can to maintain the beauty of this property.
For those who write about the tiles in the pool be broken, the shortage of towels...seriously do you not have something better to do. When you leave your home that you have perfected to your taste do you actually believe that you are going to find the same things on a Caribbean island... You have come here for fun, sun relaxation.....enjoy that fact that you can actually afford to do this and respect the fact that all of these people are here to try and make your stay as enjoyable as possible and the only other thing I can say is that if someone is rude to you is more then likely you have spoke to them or down to them with an attitude.
Jamaican people are wonderful and kind and big shout out to my friend Brenda ~Security on the beach
~ Clive you sexy man~ kept the pools nice & clean
~ Demitri ~ Manager you rock and thanks for everything
Lady Hamilton is a great place and will only get better, if that’s possible....

Your Greek friends from TO Mary Anna Dina Stella John & Carmelo

PS I forgot to mention that we were all upgraded to a beach front bedroom suite ....no that’s service

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2011

This resort is very nice. The rooms are spacious and well kept. Hope you get Sonia as a maid. A/C made noise one night and was fixed the next day. Like all Caribean resorts, shower opens out instead of in so you may have some leakage.
Food was excellent. We sampled all 7 restaurants à la carte (no reservations required !) and we ate well. Favourites were Creole, Asian and Poseidon. Buffet was also good. We had the house wines and they were good.
Entertainment team was hard working. Pools were very nice. Barmen (barwomen) were always charming. Kudos to Andrea, Lawrence and Maxwell. If you are a tourist, please smile, say please and thank you as well as greeting staff (in summary these folks are human being) and you will see that they are extremely friendly. Tipping is allowed you know!!
The only slight negative is the beach (three of them) which has rocks and weed so if you have water shoes bring them and if not buy some and this negative will evaporate.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay very much and the great weather certainly helped.

1  Thank Beluga58
Reviewed January 26, 2011

This was without doubt the best holiday ever. From the moment we arrived at the airport where a private mini bus picked us and 6 other travellers up to take us directly to the resort.
On arrival we were greated with a drink while we checked in and then where taken on a buggy to our suite, which was spacious and clean with its own jacuzzi bath and large walk in shower. Bedroom with mini-bar which was restocked daily with water, beer and various soft drinks.
The swimming pools were clean and spacious with plenty of sun beds and quiet areas if you wanted to relax the adult pool was the one we used the most and the only compaint was that they had the same music CD on all day every day but when this was mentioned it was changed. Service at the pool bar was quick and friendly no matter which member of staff was on duty. If you wanted total peace and quiet there was a relaxation pool area. The spa pool with its lazy river to a undercover area which was handy when you got the sudden downpours was also fairly quiet the only downside to the spa was alot of the facilitys did not work like the spa showers and looked like they need refubishing which for a newish resort is not what you would expect!
The choice of restuarants was great with three buffet and seven al acarte all included at no extra charge . The food was great in all we prefered the Italian but would recommend any of them service was good in all but i thought the Steak bar was probably the best, but it is recommended to book a time at this one as it is very popular.
The numerous bars are all good but if you want premium drinks then go to Lou's Bar or if you want a snack with your drink try the sports bar. This did get very busy at times as the world cup was on at the time of our stay but the staff coped well even when the place was packed.
Overall a great place with helpful friendly staff good food and great beaches and sun bathing . Would love to go back!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank poppycat66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hyatt Zilara Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!