“Wonderful Experience...mostly because of this guy...”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed January 7, 2010

We are self-proclaimed hotel snobs, so I was really nervous about our last-minute trip to the Grand Palladium. I was going to book us at The Ritz but I heard the beach was lousy there so I opted for a less-elite spot, much to my hesitation. Turned out to be the perfect place for us. The rooms are clean, big, luxurious and peaceful. The crowd was lovely. The food was nothing to write home about, but that's okay. My fiance enjoyed being active - scuba, sports, etc, whle i read books and drank margaritas. We asked one of the spa attendants if she knew anyone who could take us into Negril at night (we like to explore...the all-inclusives feel too suffocating after a while...as great as this one was). She set us up with the coolest dude in town. He was so professional, so nice, so funny. He brought us to real Jamaican restaurants, little shacks on the beach, secret mountains, waterfalls etc. He didn't care 'bout money but we gave him about 80 bucks at the end of each day (he would have done it for $30 I'm sure). He drives you in his car, looks out for you, etc. We just loved him and I shamelessly want to plug him because he deserves the business. His name is JR Evans. [--]. We'll be back soon -- both the hotel and our guide were just fabulous. Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LyssaLoveshack

Reviewed January 6, 2010

We have just returned from a week at the Lady Hamilton.This is the first time we have ever returned to the same hotel,and we did not regret our decision.I emailed the day before arrival to request a sunset side adult villa(quieter than sunrise) and our grown up childrens room to be close,both requests were met.
The food really is outstanding,we liked everything we tried.I found a great cappuccino every morning,best to go and order it yourself from the bar,while you fill your plate with goodies,as the waiting staff never seemed to remember i had ordered it.
The indian restaurant and italian were our favourites,with little or no wait.The chinese is good,but we had a 1 hour and 40 minute wait until we tasted food...And do order lots of things as the orders are small,and after waiting that long-we needed more ,so we headed down to the buffet for dessert.
This resort can satisfy many types of holiday makers.It is very relaxing and peaceful and the sunset cove is so nice and relaxed with a lovely view-and looks even better from the pedalo.Get your insulated cup filled and ready with a cocktail to sit back and watch the amazing sunset.
The evening entertainment is not too great,we would usually walk right passed,but if you have young children,you may want to cover their eyes and ears as it often had a very adult theme.
We chilled out reading books,soaking up the sun,loving the outdoor shower in the adult suite and amazing ocean views....worth every extra penny...
If this is in your budget,you definately get value for money,and we will return

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Choosyct
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Me & my boyfriend decided to go away for a Christmas break and booked the Grand Palladium for a week- we faniced a chilled out week in the sun & that is exactly what we got!!

I am not sure how much the hotel would have cost if we hadn't booked it so late, but we paid £2,900 for the both of us & although that is a lot for a weeks holiday we needed to get away.

I looked on trip advisor quite a bit before we went, and although a lot of the reviews are very negative the hotel is quite popular with Americans and part of me thinks they are quite critical!

Anyway, the 5 star hotel is more like 4 star. I would honestly say that the service by certain staff would put it down that 1 star. We constantly felt that staff were after tips all the time and although we were given a piece of paper saying that tips were included in the price, we constantly saw Americans giving tips to the staff and I thought it was not needed.

The breakfast buffet has a very wide selection & how anyone can complain about it, I dont know! I am a very fussy eater so stuck to the usual sausage & toast every morning, but my boyfriend eats anything going and he was more than happy with what was on offer!! The restuarant food was quite poor. I felt that a 5 star hotel should have 'top notch' food served in a restuarant, but neither of us were very keen and again felt that the sfatt wanted a little bit extra all the time. The best restuarant was found was on the last night- typical!! The asian was lovely and had a nice selection.

The entertainment team were very.... hmmmm, enthusiastic! They were constantly trying to rally up people to play the games and join in, which is fine for some but we were after a chilled out holiday and felt it embarrasing to say no all the time and they are quite persistant, although they are friendly enough and don't mean any harm!

The pool area is lovely- I have never seen a pool so big!!

One tip I would give anyone from England, going to Jamaica to be aware of the cultural difference of 'please' and 'thank you'!!.... I doesnt happen from them!! Everything is 'no problem' and the laid back attitude was somewhat funny at first, it can get quite annoying!!

When we arrived, we asked for a room with a sea view. They said "that will be £15 per night extra" I laughed at the receptionist.... for hem to ask for extra when we had paid enough already was a joke and I told him so and got my way with our room with a view!

The room was lovely, we couldn't fault it at all.

We went on a day trip to Negril beach, which was fantastic & then went to Ricks cafe where the locals jump off cliffs..... wow, what an experience! Totally recommend it!!

Overall, a lovely holiday. Very expensive all in all, but when you need to get away its priceless!!

6  Thank smudgecat1983
Reviewed January 3, 2010

The resort is very nice. The design is very roman with the huge white buildings and poles. we had a room that opened to a patio that was right onto the pool. About ten steps. It was so green with all the grass surrounding pool. The Bars are usually pretty dead, and the only bar you can get red stripe beer and other high end liquors is from the bar upstairs by the staircase, in between both checkins, they also have board games in that room in he closets and lil pastery's and ham in bun ...

• Stayed: December 2008
5  Thank girltravelme
Reviewed January 3, 2010

only stayed for 2 nights but we had a room with a living room with large tv(for hotel) large bathroom and a great bedroom ,we had 2 balconies both with sea views food was of a good quality and staff attentive late night enterainment was good,swimming pool was very large and clean lots of activities ,will be staying here again

5  Thank billyin2blue
Reviewed January 2, 2010

the food and all the restaurants are very very good. The pictures on the internet do not do this resort ant justice. It is MUCH better in person. The snorkeling is great at the far end of the resort, Rooms are very nice, Gym is the best i have seen at a resort, No reservations required for the la-carte restaurants however long pants for men are required for the la-carte restaurants.

I would recommend this resort over the Montego bay resorts in a second. The grand palladium lady hamilton or the Grand Palladium (no difference) is exactly half way between Montego Bay and Negril. Shopping tours of Negril and Rick's cafe (you MUST go to Rick's cafe) are only $15 USD. If you cannot afford Negril resort this is a great alternative!

Pools are very nice, and the staff are ALL very polite and nice.

High speed internet in the lobbey

7  Thank GeeManCan
Reviewed December 31, 2009

We visited Grand Palladium for a destination wedding and was not pleased with the overall service.

Upon check in we were told that there were no reservations at the hotel for us and fortunately, we had hotel vouchers to prove that was not the case. Checking in took over 3 hours and after the long wait, the room keys did not work. When I contacted the front desk I was told, "Sorry m'am, you'll have to bring them back to the front desk to have them re-programmed." After three tries to have the keys reprogrammed, they worked. Needless to say we were not pleased with the customer service I received.

The rooms were ok but they had no towels and wash rags in them and we were told there was a delay with the delivery from the laundry room. Some of my family members had major delays in their request to move them to other rooms due to moldy rooms they were put in. The food service was not good although the staff tried to assist a best they could but due to the lack of resources was unable to change the experience. The only exception was the jerk chicken by the beach on the Lady Hamilton side of the hotel.
The beaches and amenities were good and staff very friendly.

This hotel is rated a 5-star and I believe the industry should have a thorough review of the services it provides and drop the ratings to something that is more fitting - 2 star. I would not this hotel to anyone unless there is a drastic change to the overall service.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Moi888
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!