“Incredible! Should be a 6*”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed October 15, 2009

This place is incredible, even with the main pool closed. There are other pools and the sea available so who cares. It will be even more amazing when it is open though. Anyway, the food there was incredible. We ate at the Indian, Mexican, Bubbas, Jamaican and Pastafarian restaurants all which were fine dining in my opinion. Anyone who complains about this place is nuts. I have been in the creme de' la'creme and I can tell you this place exceeded all my expectations and standards. Go, you will love it and want to return like we do!

3  Thank LisaLOntario
Write a ReviewReviews (5,296)

Reviewed October 14, 2009

This is our 2nd trip to the Grand Palladium. Once we arrived they greeted us with a cocktail. Our room as in the past was impeccable, with an ocean front view and the beach was clean and gorgeous and the overall grounds were beautiful. There are a great variety of restaurants and the food was wonderful.

The Staff at the Palladium go out of their way to make your stay more enjoyable. First day you arrive you must see Tracy with Tropical Tours, she is very knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with, she made many suggestions with the planning of our excursions. Tracy went out of her way to make sure our stay was pleasant and I must add that she remembered us from last year. Judine at reception desk was very accommodating and pleasant and went above and beyond for us. Antoniette remembered us from last year and always brought a smile to our faces each time we saw her, Michael our waiter at the Lotus restaurant was very attentive and pleasant with our candlelight dinner, Maria, Concierge Manager was always making sure our stay was going well and Demietris, Asst General Manager always greeted us by name and he too making sure our stay was going well. The staff were awesome and I have to commend whoever is responsible for the training of new staff.

I have traveled for over 30 years and have never found a resort more accommodating, staff always smiling and acknowledging you. I highly recommend this resort. Overall, a breathtaking facility with all the amenities. We can't wait to return next year!

3  Thank angliz2
Reviewed October 14, 2009

I have traveled for over 30 years and have never found a resort more accommodating, staff always smiling and acknowledging you. I highly recommend this resort. Overall, a breathtaking facility with all the amenities, we can't wait to go back next year!!!

3  Thank angliz2
Reviewed October 14, 2009

We stayed there August 13th thru August 21. I had very mixed feelings about staying there after reading all the reviews concerning the pools. Yes, they were all in bad shape but it did not ruin our vacation. We have traveled to 10 other locations all around the Caribbean. This resort is the most beautiful of them all. We stayed on the Lady Hamilton side which I requested when the reservations were made. It is closer to the beaches, pools and food. Otherwise plan on doing a ton of walking back and forth. The resort, beaches and buffets never felt crowded or understaffed. There are two absolutely unforgivable issues which I will talk about at the end of this reveiw.
Here are the positives:
The ROOMS are large and very clean, loved the massaging tubs. The buildings inside and out and the grounds are beautiful and maintained constantly. We stayed in room 2828 with views to the Caribbean and grounds. The air conditioning did not work very well and this is a common complaint. Keep one of your key cards in the slot and turn the temp down all the way. The balcony doors would not lock.
The FOOD is great, except for Bubba's. I couldnt even cut into my steak and my husband couldnt eat the ribs, very tough. The Italian Restaurant was fabulous. The chef even let me change the type of sauce on my dinner. The buffets are great and we ate there most of the time (great variety, tasty, hot and quick). Plus, we like to be casual when vacationing!
The BEACHES are fabulous. Sunset Beach was our favorite, has a small restaraunt and bar to get lunch while you are there, snorkeling is great and so is the swim area and water sports. Lots of shade and chairs. We spent most of our beach time there. The adult beach is small and full of millions of ants unless you sat right close to the beach. There was full nudity, male and female. Snorkeling was great there too. Las Brisas (manmade beach) is large and has some large rocks. It needs more shade and you will need swim shoes there for sure. There are several small beaches along the resort, but not very good for swiming etc. Nice for taking a long walk after dinner though. Bring swim shoes, snorkel gear and floaties, such as blow up small rafts, belly boards, noodles etc.
The BARS are plentiful and everywhere! Drinks are good, bartenders friendly and a large variety to pick from. We love the Rum Cream and Bushwackers. There is a great large lounge upstairs of the main building with fantastic views, comfortable seating and a game room/library with snacks.
The STAFF was always friendly, helpful and took the time to talk to you if you wanted. Even though we were "All Inclusive", I always left tips for the bartenders, day and night maid service, and the in room bar ( just put it in the refrigerator)
The SHOPPING on the resort has a lot to be desired. There is only one souvineer shop, liquor store and very little else. We dont shop much so I cant say about any other areas in the nearby towns. If you plan on buying souvineers, please wait until you get to the airport when you leave. Lots to pick from and the prices are okay. The liquor store at the airport has fantastic prices. Stock up then!
The POOLS are just fabulous if you overlook the issues with the tiles. I understand they are starting to fix that problem. Each pool has a jacuzzi's BUT none were in working order. Very disappointing. Check to see the status before booking your trip.
In GENERAL there are things for the children to do, nightly entertainment, pool activities, nurse on duty, excursions to book, etc. We did the Zip Line (8 zip line tour and the guides are fantasitc, fun and very safety conscience), river raft (not worth it) and catamaran for snorekling and then to Margarittaville in Montego Bay Great Trip
The MINOR NEGATIVES: Poor airconditioning in the rooms, Some of the restaraunts closed (but enough other places to eat well). Not good shopping at the resort. Always short of towels and wash cloths.
The UNFORGIVABLE ISSUES; I had some jewelry stolen from my room. I never bring anything expensive or irreplaceable on our vacations. The jewelry was placed in a small case in the back of the dresser drawer and I had fogotten to put it in the safe for the fist 3 days we were there. So that means, somebody is going thru our stuff. The resort was going to check who had keyed in and out of the room and place a "demerit" on their record. They also said they were going to start cracking down harder on the employees and this problem. I didnt not report the issue until we were leaving because we were afraid of nothing being done and then our safety would have been jepordized. Word spreads fast amoung the employees, I am sure. The other issue was the blatant selling of drugs on the resort. We watched the groundmen and other outside workers doing this all day long. We observed guests who were obviously "high" and their behavor reflected that. We have never had either of those happen before in any of our travels. These are very serious security and safety issues. The resort responded that they have sought the assistance of the local Bureau of Investigation to help clear up the drug selling.
Would we every stay there again? I would like to, but NO because of the safety issues. There are many other beautiful resorts in Jamaica and everywhere else in the Caribbean. It is too bad because the place itself was beautiful and fantastic.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bobbie435
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Well, stayed at the Grand Palladium from 19 Sept - 3 Oct and what a place. I agree with other reviewers, it is massive. But all the walking is good for burning off all the food and drink.
Travelled with my Mum, Brother and some friends from England. Now, I'm an Aussie so I'm pretty laid back to start with, but some of the problems we encountered were so small I can't see how anybody could complain. Not only did we have missing tiles, on the 4th days they enptied the main pool - so what. There are other pools and plenty of beaches. Sunset Cove being my favourite pick.
Also the air conditioning didn't work in alot of places - big deal - have another beer and get over it! The staff make up for these small inconveniences as the will do anything to help. As soon as I put my empty beer down I had another one delivered to me. And I didn't tip until the end off the trip!
While we were there they also closed some restaurants some nights due to not many people at the resort. Oh no, the end of the world! Not! There were still plenty others to choose from and the sports bar always has a great feed.
This resort may not be five star but you are in Jamaica. Your meant to be laid back and relaxing not picking small problems. You want five star, pay for it. I think the staff, the scenery, the food and drink make this place a six star.
We did two trips while at The Palladium. One was Cool Running which went to Dunns River Falls. Definately value for money. Snorkelling, walking up the falls (which was amazing) and drinks on the way home. Top day
The second trip was for shopping, 7 mile beach and Rick's Cafe. Another top pick. Jumping off the cliff at Rick's was wicked
Overall, if you good to Jamaica with the attitude that things can go wrong but that's life, you will love it. If you expect 100 percent perfection, holiday somewhere else. The Grand Palladium was great value for money and I'm sure the majority of people who visit will love it. It's Jamaica, There are no problems, just situations :)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank Needaholiday76
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I read the reviews before booking this trip and can only say…you can’t please everybody! I almost choose another resort because of the negativity, but am so glad I didn’t! The VERY LARGE main pool was closed during our stay because they are resurfacing the bottom of the pool. We stayed in building 28 on the Lady Hamilton side.

General Information: We booked out trip to Grand Palladium (GP) online through Orbitz. The pictures available on that website are exactly what you’ll see. Transfers to and from the airport were arranged during the booking process and handled with ease upon arrival and departure.

The Resort: The resort was immaculate! All the beauty of Jamaica with the privacy of a resort located on a peninsula. The resort grounds were clean and tidy, the beaches were sandy and the water clear blue/green. The GP staff were very helpful and friendly, including restaurants, bars, housekeeping, front desk and bell hop staff.

The Room: We choose to upgrade to a suite, although the extra room was not necessary for a wonderful stay. The suite includes an additional room with a sofa, flat screen television, coffee table and beverage counter/drawer chest. The room included a large bathroom with whirlpool tub, separate shower and toilet. Just outside of the bathroom is a large closet with shelves, hangars for clothes, iron and ironing board and a secure safe for valuables (instructions included). The bedroom was very large with a king size bed, bedside tables on both sides of the bed, dresser with drawers and shelves and a flat screen television. The private balconies are accessible through sliding doors adjacent to the bedroom and the entry room (two balconies in the suite, one for the junior suite).

The Restaurants: Poseidon’s sunset cove
Xamayca – Delicious Creole style food! Our waiter was Clifton the first time we dined at this restaurant. I asked for his suggestions when ordering and he highly recommended the lamb chops. I was craving a steak (which I ordered) and my girlfriend ordered the pork loin. For appetizers we ordered crab cakes and conch fritters. When Clifton brought out our order, he not only gave us what we ordered but also placed some coconut shrimp on the table as well (his recommendation), which were delicious. To our surprise, when he brought out our entrees, he also brought an order of lamb chops! I should have listened to him as the steak was tough but the lamb was the best I’ve ever had! We returned to this restaurant again and had Trescoth as our waiter. We had dined at the Asian restaurant the night before which is located adjacent to the Creole location. My girlfriend requested her appetizer from the Asian restaurant (Seaweed salad and a sushi wrap) which he arranged. Special thanks to Clifton and Trescoth for making our dining experiences at Xamayca extraordinary!

Lotus House-Asian cuisine. Delicious sushi, but the entrees are lacking in flavor in my opinion.

Bubba’s-Steakhouse and BBQ: Negative reviews read prior to dining. I personally loved this place! Rely on your waiter for suggestions and you can’t go wrong, they are extremely honest! The strip loin is tough and not appetizing at all. The cowboy rib eye is amazing; perfectly cooked and seasoned! The honey glazed salmon was amazing as well!
Pastafarian- Was not open

Bhogali- Did not dine here

El Mariachi-Was only open Friday and Saturday, did not dine here but the other guests we talked to said it was fabulous.

Jerk Chicken Hut-located by the beach. Jerk chicken like I’ve never had before; absolutely amazing! There was a lone barbeque pit behind the counter with a Jamaican kid cooking. The chicken was juicy and tender and fresh! Paella was freshly brought at noon when they begin serving but is gone quickly. Paella was traditional with rice, shrimp and muscles! Delicious!

Buffets: Breakfast is the best ever! Anything you can imagine from salad bar to fresh fruit, pancakes, waffles, omelet stations, and more! Lunch was equally appetizing offering made to order chicken, pork, steak and fish; pasta station with a variety of additives such as vegetables and proteins and sauces. They offer dinner service at the buffets but we enjoyed the al la carte restaurants instead.

The Bars: You can check the website for listings of all the bars (12 in all). Three of the bars were closed during our stay because of remodeling/construction; there were plenty others to choose from and the drinks never run dry! We frequented the Sunset cove bar and the Coral bar near the adults only pool. I must give props to JJ, Andre, and Andrea our favorite bartenders at the Sunset cove bar; thanks to you all for making our experience absolutely amazing! We read the negative reviews regarding bar service (weak drinks, long lines, etc) and can honestly say the drinks were NOT weak and we never had to wait in line. I asked the bartenders about the negative reviews (They also read trip advisor) and was told during the busy season (Nov-April) lines form because of the increased amount of resort guests. Personal note: Try the Bob Marley! It’s a layered shot consisting of grenadine, banana liqueur, and Crème de Menthe shaken with over proof rum! The restaurant bartenders make a Flamin’ Marley which means they light it on fire before you drink it (Yeah Mon!) My suggestion is to try the frozen strawberry concoction blended with a fresh banana and rum! Also try the “dirty banana” which is a fresh banana blended with Appleton Rum, Rum Cream and ice!

Excursions: We booked our excursions through Jamaica Tours located in the lobby of the Lady Hamilton side of the resort. Most excursions require you to book at least a day in advance because they require a minimum number of people to depart. We booked a shopping/beach/Rick’s Café excursion to Negril. The Bus arrived promptly at 10:30 and the tour guide made the hour long bus ride to Negril informative and entertaining. Our first stop was at Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville. We spent four hours on the beach soaking up the sun and enjoying the amazing cocktails from the beach bar. There are other paid activities available such as Jet Skis and Parasailing. Haggle for your best price as they will come down from their initial offer. We left Margaritaville and stopped at two locations on the way to Rick’s Café for shopping where there were lots of touristy shirts and wood carvings, smoking pipes, and souvenirs. Ricks Café was the best! Crazy people cliff diving, great drinks, live music and amazing sunset!
The other excursion we planned was to Ocho Rios to Dunn’s River Falls. When you go to Jamaica wherever you stay, go to the falls! It is absolutely amazing and beautiful! It is a two hour trip but the tour guide was very informative and entertaining on the way. Take some water shoes as you will need them to climb the falls, if you don’t have them you will be required to rent them.

Suggestions: The only suggestion I would have to the resort is that there should be a bar or bars located ON the beaches rather than guests being required to walk up to the bar over one hundred yards away. If not bars on the beach then perhaps a wait staff to bring drinks. The house red and white wines are HORRIBLE! The cheapest upgraded bottle of red wine is $18 US and well worth it when dining in the restaurants. Other than that we were amazed with this resort and will be returning next year! As for the negative reviews about the pool, I would say to those people…you don’t come to a tropical paradise to swim in a pool, stay home and swim in your own pool! Hope this review was helpful.

4  Thank Clock_work02
Reviewed October 12, 2009

The place is beautiful but the Main Pool was closed down for rennovations. We were not told that until we arrived. It was completely empty and workers wer working on it day and night. The first three days there we had no Hot water at all ! Some natives were friendly and some not. I would never return to the Grand again. The entertainment consist of about 10 people dancing on stage every night, and I mean booty dancing, no rhyme or reason to there Show !

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank dh111557
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!