“Absolutely Amazing Experience!”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed April 5, 2009

Before going I thought it would be wise to read some reviews- and honestly, they scared me. A lot! However, when I got there I could not have been more wrong. I is a gorgeous place, with wonderful, friendly staff. When we checked in we were quickly whisked away by cart with our luggage (that they wouldnt DREAM of letting you carry!) with a drink in hand. Keep in mind- I am 18 and went with just 5 of my friends, so needless to say our parents were a little worried but we got through everything just fine. Easy airport, excellent resort.

We got to our room to find a note and flowers from our maid. By the time we get everything unpacked it was 6 PM so we got showered and headed to dinner at the Asian restaurant- The Lotus House. Let me start by saying I am a sushi fanatic and if you are too, you will be in heaven. SOOOO GOOD!

After that we went to the inifinity bar to have some drinks where we met about 10-12 other 18 and 19 year old kids that we ended up being with the entire week. They were awesome! Couldn't have asked for a better time. Finally, when 11 rolled around the night club opened and we headed there. It was so much fun- good music, lots of drinks, lots of friends and just a really, really great evening.

The next day we got up early and headed to the beach, which, by the way, is gorgeous. It truly is one of the most beautiful places I have ever imagined seeing. Now- If you are looking for a full service resort, then do NOT come here. They will not walk by the beach and ask you if you would like a drink. Stop being lazy and go to the bar that is 10 feet from the beach. The bartenders there were all so nice and funny and seemed to love doing their job. I sat and talked to them for a long time! Oh, and the pool- AMAZING. HUGE! yes there are a few tiles missing, but get over it. Still and amazing swim up bar and friendly staff to boot!

The entertainment crew were so awesome. They partied with us every night and we had a lot of fun with them- if you get the chance, meet them and hang out with them as much as possible. If youre with them I will promise you a good time!

Overall I will miss the resort so much. I made some lifelong friends there and i will DEFINITELY be going back MANY TIMES!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank springbreaker093
Write a ReviewReviews (5,364)

Reviewed April 4, 2009

I truly do not understand the negative reviews of this resort. If you want to go somewhere and pick apart minor details just to write a negative review, then I guess that is some peoples perogative.

My wife and I went to the Grand Palladium 3/28-4/1 for a stress releiving, relaxing trip. The resort sets on a large property and is very spread out. There is something here for everyone. One thing that stood out to me was that there was a wide range of visitors. There were spring breakers, large parties, young couples, older couples, etc. Guess what? Everyone seemed to be having a blast. The resort is laid out in way that accommodates everyone. The active spot is right in the middle by the main pool. The entertainment and activities were close to this area. If you wanted peace and quiet, you just take a stroll to Sunset Cove and have a relaxing day. This is where we spent the majority of our time. There is fantastic snorkeling right off the beach and there were a number of other free water sports (kayaking, paddle boats, hobie cats) at this beach. There is also a bar very close and a hut that they prepared jerk chicken, rice, and corn daily. The only complaint I had here was the tourists. I think the resort should implement a max drink rule. We waited at times for people that were ordering 15 blended drinks. To me, this was rude on the part of the visitors and unfair to the staff and other visitors.
The food was great and much fancier than I am used to. The buffets even had a good selection, not only for breakfast and lunch, but had a different theme each night for dinner. We eat at Bubba's steak house, the Creole restaurant, and the Mexican restaurant. My favorite was actually the mexican. There was always fresh fruit, salads, and breads. The service at the restaurants was excellent and the servers were very friendly and accommodating.
The rooms were very nice and clean and the villas were placed in a way that most rooms have some sort of ocean view. The maid service was great and always had our room prepared and fridge restocked (yes the items are free).
This resort was the best value resort we have ever been to. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank letsbehonest09
Reviewed April 3, 2009

Stayed at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton (bldg 36) March 21st - March 26th, 2009.
One in our party left their passport in the seatback on the airplane (big no no) so two of us proceeded through immigration and to baggage claim. I waited by baggage while my husband went outside to find Mr. Greg Connell of Reggae Tours (HIGHLY recommended). Since we are Connell’s as well, Greg and my husband chatted for a bit like long lost family while I awaited that Jamaica sun by baggage claim waiting for the other two of our party. All in all it might have taken us an hour from departing the airplane to the van for our ride to Grand Palladium with Devon our driver.
In route, we kindly asked Devon if we could stop at a market to buy a case of Red Stripe. After converting currency and making our purchases we were once again on our way!
In all I would say the total driving time was 30 minutes from airport to resort probably because it was Saturday and not much rush hour traffic. Upon leaving our driver Devon, we were handed a Digicel phone to use for the week ($20) which came in handy to call home and get in touch with Reggae tours.
We arrived at the resort at 1 p.m. To my surprise, both rooms were ready. Rooms were clean. AC worked (too well at times). Our room had very little water pressure, either hot or cold water, no warm. Ah, we dealt with it. Didn’t feel like being bothered in having to run around and get it fixed. Jacuzzi worked fine so we knew the pressure problem was isolated to the shower itself. Keylock died one day. Turned out the batteries went bad. Took two minutes, one screwdriver and 4 AA batteries to resolve. The beds were fine. I never slept better. No critters seen and a wonderful Jamaican breeze comes through the slider. Tidbit – if slider is open, air will turn off.
We ate a la carte every night. Two of us ate between 8:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. so we never had to wait. The dinners were awesome except for the Sushi. They wrap it in seaweed (I guess to hold the sticky rice), but it made the Sushi taste fishy. The rolls were good and the duck tasty and bountiful. Creole (awesome steak), Mexican (great burrito), Italian (wonderful gnocchi and beef carpaccio were out of this world) but Indian by far the best. Never tried the buffets except for breakfast. For lunch, jerk chicken at the hut on Sunset Cove beach. Took it to the bar and got some fresh fruit with a cold beer. Yum yum. Paella is excellent as well. As a matter of fact, we headed to Sunset Cove everyday to start our day. We aren’t big breakfast eaters, but that Jerk chicken hit the right spot. Sauce varies in intensity from day to day. Of course there is a milder sauce for those who can’t handle the heat. Always ended my meal with a Cappuccino from the Infinity bar. Hmm hmm good.
The Coral beach had great snorkeling. BUT, and I repeat, it is for snorkeling, not swimming. There is a sign stating this. There is a lot of coral and you can get hurt. Yeah there were people wading and swimming, but I would not recommend it especially seeing what is on the bottom of the beach that one could cut their foot on coral. Just a warning for your own safety. But again, great snorkeling. Lots and lots of fish and I do hope visitors respect that to keep the sea life alive and kicking. Respect.
They ran out of beer, vodka and rum one day. No problem mon, we had some Red Stripe in the room. Miss Lou’s I am told is the only place to get Red Stripe, never bothered. Infinity bar was too fun at night and the drinks there were plentiful (even the day they ran out elsewhere) and the beer, cold! Bands were great, different music every night. Gotta try some of the Rum cream. Try to get some before the show ends because it appeared everyone from the show headed to Inifinty bar afterwards and Rum cream would run out. Met some folks from our hometown (Hello Detective Gary, Roberto says hello back at ya) and others from just about everywhere, hello Jacques and Lucie from Montreal and the couple from Manitoba.
Pools, nice. Real refreshing from the hot sun. Hung out at Coral (steps from adult pool bar) and Sunset beach most of the time.
We did an afternoon shopping trip to get some coffee. Called Reggae tours two days before and scheduled a 1:00 p.m. pick up. Devon picked us up took us into town to get some Jablum (good price). Then we stopped and had some jerk chicken and Red Stripe for lunch (Scotchies, just past airport)with a final stop at Rosemont Hill for an incredible view of Montego Bay.
Our maid was never seen but somehow managed to get in and get her job done and the beverage man was always replenishing with Real Rock. The bar staff and waiters were pleasant, courteous and prompt. We tipped everyone as we always do no matter where we are. Every person there was wonderful. Always smiling and if they weren’t, didn’t take more than a hello to put a smile on their face. We felt very safe and secure there.
As a final note, use Reggae tours for private transfers, stop for some Red Stripe and pack in luggage prior to checking in. The two properties together make a huge resort, but never felt crowded. Relax, you are on vacation. Take it slow.
yah mon, no problems.
Edmond and Lori Connell

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
8  Thank lorijeannj
Reviewed April 2, 2009

It's hard for us not to enjoy a vacation anywhere, let alone a beautiful beach resort in the Caribbean. However, we didn't really enjoy this spot. When we checked in, our room wasn't ready. Our apple rep made sure we got into one after orientation. It was very bad.
The room floor wasn't even swept. Sand and dirt - everywhere. The shower wouldn't drain. The resort is so large that I think it is difficult for the staff to take care of the guests. It was not relaxing at all. The room floor remained filthy the next day, after hosekeeping services(making the bed). There also was no view. Room lighting is harsh and limited (dark and dingy). They use the most energy saving measures available, at the expense of a nice environment for the guests.
I thought the complaints on the site were exaggerated. Don't make the same mistake, they are not. This resort will be a disaster by the time it is open a year (July 2009). Food was fine, service was fine, but the facilities were dirty and unattractive. This can make the difference between a lovely vacation and a real let down.

3  Thank Kimber23
Reviewed April 1, 2009

Trip got off to a shaky start. Our AA flight was delayed 4.5 hours from JFK for mechanical problems and AA handled the situation very poorly. Luckily our driver was waiting for us in Montego Bay. We know from past experiences and other reviews that taking the Apple bus can be a long process with lots of stops on the way to our resort, etc...From Trip Advisor reviews we hired Dudley's Big Ship Tours and Transportation. We had a private car/van for $100 round trip. We had cold bottled water and a Red Stripe beer waiting for us in the car. It was well worth the $100 plus $20 tip we gave each way.

Check in at the front desk of the Lady Hamilton was VERY disappointing. We emailed the reservation department several times to let them know we were delayed. We had heard so much about the random upgrades given to guests at the resort via Trip Advisor we were hoping that we were good canidates for an upgrade since we had previously stayed at a Palladium in Punta Cana and also in Riviera Maya. We, as well as our travel agent sent an email prior to arrival requesting an upgrade if available. We also requested a king bed, second floor room with a pool or ocean view. Well, at least we got the king bed. Upon check in the hostess at the front desk told us the hotel was sold out (later we found out through mangagement it was at 60% occupancy) and we basically had to get what we got. The "hostess" was miserable...never even greeted us with a "hello" or "Welcome to Jamiaica"...she was the only one at the desk and there was a line behind us so we just took our room key and proceeded. We arrived at 6:30 PM...it was the first time in all our all inclusive resort stays that we weren't greeted with a smile and a welcome cocktail...especially after a long day.

Our room in Lady Hamilton side Villa #26 was lovely. It was the standard junior suite and very roomy. It did lack space for clothes but other than that we had no problems. We were on a third floor walk up but the exercise was fine with all the eating and drinking. We had no problem with bugs, smells, etc...as reported. Our room was cleaned beautifully every day and we left a $3.00 tip daily. They are lacking towels. No face clothes and one hand towel but two bath towels. We were considered "VIP" status and had two chocoate strawberries in the room waiting for us upon arrival. I think that was the extent of what "VIP" status was.

The pools were lovely but there is a TERRIBLE problem with the tiles coming off the surface of ALL four pools. I thought this was exaggerated in other reviews but it was really terrible. I saw two guests cut their toes in the Infinity Pool. It really is a liability and makes the pools look like they are 20 years old. Some kids were diving and collecting all the square tiles. ALL the railings are loose too and have yellow caution tape all around them. The shallow side of the Infinity Pool is really dirty. Lots of sand, trash and a slick of lotions, oil, etc. in all the corners.... I was there 7 mornings early and only on my last day did I see the shallow end cleaned. There was no way that side of the pool was cleaned the other mornings. I even let management know it was disgusting.

There were lots of lounge chairs around the pool and at the beaches. Plenty of shade and sunshine for those who wanted it. There were quiet spots and fun, noisy spots. Something for everyone. Swim up bar is fun with songs and shots from the bartenders and the Infinity Pool Bar at the pool has good service. Andrea and Roy are lovely happy bartenders who enjoy their jobs. Ask Roy to sing country music for you. Great music in the evenings in the large covered outside bar above the pool...it was beautiful sitting out there in the evening. Mrs. Lou's is quaint and the ONLY place to get a Red Stripe or Skky Vodka. However, they run out daily and early. If you go during the day, see Chilli...she is the bartender and she is so sweet. She always has a smile.

A big issue with us and many guests we talked to is that ALL the bars run out of certain liquors daily. We were told it is an inventory control thing. Two days out of 7 there was NO vodka at 4 bars; on St. Patrick's Day ALL the bars at every pool, beach and swim up were out of beer !!! They ran out of beer at 11:00 AM and didn't get any until 5:00PM on St. Patty's Day. Guests were very upset and there was nothing the bar tenders could do.

The restaurants we went to were all good but the Jamaican Creole was our favorite for food quality, service and decor. Most other guests we talked to thought the same. Italian and Mexican were also good. Bubba's was ok but the steak was very fatty. The longest wait we had for a restaurant was 45 mintues and that was fine. You can go wait in the bar and check back in or some restaurants give you a beeper.

Service every where on the resort was very good and all the workers were extremely friendly. Overall the resort was very clean. The beaches were raked daily, lobbies and public bathrooms were clean. They may be a bit short staffed in the Infinity Bar as the dirty tables should be cleared more frequently.

The overall property is beautiful. As other reviews said, if you are a real beach person this isn't the place for you. You can't take long walks on the beach. We enjoyed all the views and alcoves the beaches offered but we stayed at the pool where normally we would sit on the beach.

The resort is very large and you will have to plan on doing a great deal of walking and lots of stairs up and down. We didn't mind this but others might.

The resort advertises themselves as "NO SPRING BREAKERS." This is not the case at all. There were tons of college kids but luckily they were not too out of had.

In the last 15 years we have been to approx 15 all inclusives. This one has real potential but as of now I would rate it a 3 NOT a 5. We did not get the "great deal" so many have mentioned in the Trip Advisor reviews and others we spoke to on property so I feel we paid too much for what we got. We have gotten so much more at other resorts for less.

With all of this said we still had a great time and met some really nice people !

5  Thank LivvyMark
Reviewed March 31, 2009

About us: Couple in our early 30's, no kids. First time in Jamaica. We stayed at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton from March 22-29 2009.

Transfer: We travelled with Transat vacations, plane from Ottawa with Skyservice was on time and ok. transfer included to the hotel was great, we got a car since we were the only ones traveling to GP that night. Driver took a scenic road to Lucea and answered our questions, what a nice start to the trip.

From having read all reviews on this site, here is what I found out about 4 GP mysteries:
Black bracelet mystery: Check in was fast but we were the only couple there. We got that Imperial club black bracelet. We learned that it was supposed to give us rebates at the spa, fruit basket, bottle of rhum etc. but all we got were in our room: slippers, robe and a quite tacky GP wooden decoration. We never got the fruits and rhum. There was this myth that we would not wait in line at restaurants but it didn't work for us, we waited 3 nights when we got there after 7pm (steakhouse, Italian and Asian) even if we mentioned the black bracelet. Anyhow, it was great to wait since there are bars all over the place.

Mini-Bar mystery: Wonder why some didn't get what they wanted from the mini-bar in their room or towels from the maid?? Quite simple, the maid probably took the note you left for the mini-bar guys along with his tips or the mini-bar guy did the same to her! We went back to our room mid-day and the mini-bar guy was working on our floor. Our room was done, I checked the fridge and it was empty but the tip left in it was gone. I call the mini-bar guy, he tells me that he wasn't in our room yet. He gives me what I need and expect another tip... basically, from what I heard from other people on our floor, this guy was constantly requesting tips to provide services... so my advice, do not leave tips in the room, give it directly to them.

Drugs mystery: Yes, drugs are everywhere in Jamaica. We got a lot of offers possibly because we are young looking. We just replied that we don't smoke and it was fine. However, I thought that for a wannabe 5 star hotel, staff should NOT offer drugs to clients and there were many staffers that we noticed sold it onsite. I think management should simply send a young couple to investigate on their grounds for a week and report them.

Towel mysteries: We did not get our room cleaned everyday since we did not need it as we are quite clean. I laughed the first day we did not request the service when we got back from the beach, we had a bag full of towels, soaps, facecloths on our doorstep... and I thought that it was a major towel problem at GP. We used a lot of towels and never lacked any, when we left, there were even a left-over bag full of clean towels... basically, we had too many towels!

As for the other perks:
Food: We both really loved the food, there was always something different to try. We tried the Asian (loved it), Creole (ok- this is where the good cheese hide), Italian (so-so) and Steakhouse (ok). Not a lot of dessert selection and it seems that the resort was empty of all ice cream.

SPA: The Spa is called Renova which I though was very appropriate since it is in desperate need of Renova-tions. No hot tub there, it already looked run-down. One of the pools there was empty.

Adult pool: Fun times there but there needs to be a proper sound system (bartender kept playing the same CD on his boombox). It really really needs a hot tub so you can enjoy the pool until midnight. I did not witness any party there altough the bartender was there until 10pm. The lack of hot tub was the only true thing that bothered me on that resort. As for parties, we (in our 30's) were part of the younger clientele. I found the resort to be quiet at night, which was relaxing but there could be more partying going on.

Beach: I enjoyed Sunset cove and I like the paella and jerk chicken for lunch. Water sports were fun too. Sea doo guys came in most mornings "fishing for clients" I called them the Pirates! Bring your own mask to snorkel, it is beautiful. I used my water shoes but could have managed without.

Activities: Did not try it, were to busy at the pool and beach. However, avoid pool area close to the volley-ball court, when that bingo lady started screaming for one hour, it drove me nuts and so did the reggae lessons. Basically, the volume should be down, did not mind the music but it was excruciating with the staff screaming over it. At the end of the trip, could no longer tolerate the "yah mon" repeated 50 times.

Excursions: did the shopping and Rick's cafe for 15$US per person, we enjoyed it as it was just long enough for us, I didn't like the market, just crappy stuff. Best shopping was at the airport!

Overall, we truly enjoyed our trip and stay at this resort, there were only minor things that did not really bother us. We think that there is still work to do for management to get that 5th star by perfecting their attention to details. A no tip policy (or leave tips at the front desk for example) would possibly encourage staff to offer excellent service.

9  Thank denislamoustache
Reviewed March 31, 2009

Overall, we had a great experience. At first glance the hotel is very nice. After a while you notice imperfections that seem to be from a rush job of completing. Tiles were missing from the pool, and paint chipping. We had problems with our room key that kept us at the front desk and out of our room for about half the day. Several times we saw an exchange of drugs take place from the staff members. Very disappointing. We also had some property stolen from our room. Albeit cheap plastic bracelets, we were bothered by the theft. THe beds were HARD. I tried to take naps by the pool, chairs were more comfortable than the bed. About a 40 min bus ride from airport. Had tons of seatng by pool and beach. Other places we've visited we had to go down early and claim a spot. Disco should have opened earlier. 11 was too late and both times we went after 11 they were still setting up bar and wouldn't serve us. The sports bar was nice and the Infinity bar above the pool was AWESOME. The room was nice except for the bed and NO wash cloths. Some places we've stayed required reservations for dinner but not this place. It was very nice. 4 buffets, and 7 restaurants. Plenty of food!! Free WIFI in lobby only. Otherwise $18 an hour. The place is sprawling so be prepared to walk. Pool deck was the best pace to be to see and be seen. Leroy at swim up bar is famous! Spa area was nice. Didn't use it but did go and look. Another problem, a lot of people were tipping the bartenders, Tips are included but those flashing ones got waited on a lot sooner.

1  Thank bigaufan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!