“loved this hotel”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“loved this hotel”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Fantastic reception at this hotel, the staff are very friendly at reception and round the pools and beaches. Unfortunately some of the restaurant staff are not so keen to serve. Take a tip and check which restaurants are opened before going out, They all have different opening times and nights. Try and pre book or be prepared for long wait for tables. The food was excellent at all, even the jerk hut. Breakfast was great but don't bother asking for tea unless you are prepared to ask at least 5 different waitresses. Miss lou's coffee bar is the place if you want tea, coffee and cakes. Bar service was very good with good measures and friendly service. leaving a small tip makes it even better. The adult only pool and beach are great for relaxing with the main pool (the biggest in Jamaica) great for a bit of fun and games. No need to reserve loungers as there are plenty to go round. Life guards on duty at all pools and beaches. Trillan was a mine of info and a genuinely good guy. The entertainment staff (people of palladium) work non stop to keep you going. The rooms were massive with a giant bed, Jacuzzi, shower room and large balcony. They were spotless. Good job by the housemaids. We were in a group of 7 and the hotel managed to house us all in the same block a wee bit of a walk to the main pool and reception area mind you. The lazy Yanks called the bell boys trolley car. We had a birthday girl there and ordered a birthday cake which was only 10$. It was presented at our evening meal and was great value for money, too much for the 7 there. If I could give 1 bit of advice it would be for the non a la carte staff to cheer up and make their guests feel more welcome especially the Negril staff at breakfast. A la carte staff were brill till our last night at Bubba's steakhouse where the guy that was our waiter was clueless delivering 5 out of 7 starters which were done before we called him for the other 2. he then brought cold main courses before we got up and left. a shame really cause our first visit at bubba's was brilliant. Most other a la carte menus had steak on them anyway and their staff were brilliant. The hotel was a bit isolated but there were taxis to take you any where and would stay with you all day for a reasonable price agreed before you set out. We took one to Negril beach, shopping and Rick's café for 20$ a head at our pleasure. An organised trip doing the same thing at their time booked through the reps was much dearer. Beautiful hotel, pools, beaches. overall a beautiful country. oh and by the way Red Stripe beer and Appleton's rum made it for me. Look forward to staying at any of the other Grand Palladium hotels to see if they match up.

Room Tip: Try for a room close to the main reception area unless you are a keen walker.
2 Thank billyboy1690
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear billyboy1690,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,378)
  • Polish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were a little apprehensive prior to our trip, having read many of the reviews over the past few months. We have learned in the past that you make your own judgements, rather than listen to others.

Check in and transfer to our room took over 45 minutes, which certainly wasn't a good start. On arrival at Block 39 we realised we were over 5 minutes away from the centre of the resort where all the restaurants, bar The Poseidon, were. However, our rooms 3911/3912 were the closest walking distance to Sunset Cove, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

The selection at the buffet restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner was amazing. We have been to many such restaurants in different parts of the world over the past few years and the choice here was the best we have experienced; unless you were expecting burgers, chips and beans every day! However, after our checking in experience it came as no surprise that the service could be a little 'hit and miss', especially regarding having a full set of cutlery and cups at breakfast: however, we just put this down to the 'Jamaican way'. Sometimes having to wait to be seated was frustrating, but we felt that this and the other service problems in the buffet was due to poor operating systems and management, rather than the staff in attendance. The service in the theme restaurants could not be faulted, albeit not to standards you would expect in some up market restaurants. The meals in these restaurants were excellent, especially the Asian and Jamaican.

The service in the bars was very good if actually ordering one's own drinks, but a little slower in The Affinity if waiting for waitress service(not enough to provide a quicker service). Unfortunately at all bars there were occasions that boorish and sometimes rude customers expected priority service, which in many cases were rightly ignored by the staff.

Sunset Cove was our favourite location, albeit sometimes in need of a little tidying up. Micheal at the water sports centre was always friendly and obliging.

A special mention for our room maid, Ann-Marie-where could you go in the world when a sudden thunderstorm hits and your room maid rushes back to your room to bring drying clothes in from the patio to stop them getting drenched- not so laid back there!! All in all we found the staff and the people of Jamaica the friendliest we have EVER met on holiday and if a little laid back, so be it. We felt that Jamaica would lose something if all was perfect and the fact that we quickly accepted the laid back nature of the country and its people helped enhance our holiday and put any shortcomings to the back of our mind-if you are looking for perfection in all aspects of your stay here you are unlikely to find it, but for us the experience was unforgettable and certainly was 'No Problem'.

Room Tip: Block 39 good for Sunset Cove, but not for the pool or resort centre. Also, this area is a little un...
5 Thank Philip R
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

We must extend our apologies for the inconveniences you experiences but we are glad that you did not allow it to ruin your overall stay.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We've had a great time all over the world, but this is hands down our favourite so far.

The staff was so friendly, so caring, they went way out of their way for us on an hourly basis. Not because we were demanding, but because we genuinely cared about them to talk to them, and they could see it.

All it takes is a Ya man to anyone to start an interesting conversation, I talked to staff all over the resort on both sides and they not only helped us to maximize every minute of our stay with great tips.. some even ran errands for us because we didn't want to leave the resort.

I usually do excursions but I was in paradise so never bothered.

After having read the reviews on here slagging the place (which I took with a grain of salt) this is my first day back, and even tho I am exhausted I am on to balance the grumpy grumblers.

I saw a lot of over-demanding people there giving the staff a hard time, about the most mundane things, you want service treat people well (and don't forget to tip since that is what they live off of). I didn't tip every time and I always got the same service....with a big super smile at every turn.

For those that don't know if you pay the extra for Imperial YOU CAN BOOK RESERVATIONS AT ALL THE RESTAURANTS (Cost US $20 Bucks Extra).

The wife and I booked the restaurants for prime time and walked past all the grumpy people lined up.. straight in with a smile.. and a Ya Man.

We had the best food we have had anywhere... Filet Mignon at Bubba's highly recommended, NY steak that I could break off with my fork at the Xamaica, Indian first night was AWESOME for those spicey folks, wife wanted Chicken added to her vegetable Curry and NICOLE who was a phenom hooked her up. I used to be a restaurant manager Nicole has to be one of the best, most lovely servers I have ever met, she was all over the place timed everything even tho it was a heavy peak... and her customer service was exceptional. I will definitely request her personally next time I return to the Indian restaurant and the resort. I suggest you do so also.

We didn't have a bad meal all week, usual buffet menus for breakfast & lunch, special menus every night which we never needed because of our unlimited bookings.

Jerk hut was worth the trip.. and for those that don't like to walk... you can get a shuttle by calling the front desk.

I got stuck into the volleyball for at least 6 hours a day.. poolside... I suggest water shoes as the sand is a little hard (definitely no diving unless you want to get sliced up, but those are the apples... I only got a couple of minor scratches out of it. Playing smart.

Loads of events and activities wife got stuck into to the dancing lessons/games/ and even as a lightweight non-drinker she did real well in the drinking games.

Xena, Tugg Ras (copping his polo shirt with a tie look), Princess, Spoon, & NTune part of the entertainment crew (and so many more that I can't even remember their names) took such good care of us all week, they went so far out of their way it was not funny (I tipped them out extra at the end of the week for their kindness).

That brings us to the Brisas Bar.. the service for a super busy bar was awesome, never went wanting but then again we were smart and made their life easy. We had bought big thermal cups that kept everything chilled for 12 hours.. so our icy drinks stayed icy, our Red Stripe & Water cold all day.. so we only required a couple of pit stops a day (saved us a fortune on tips). We had 3 I would suggest 4. In years past at other resorts everything got too warm too quick which would overload the bars.

My hats off to Errol, the tall kid with the red shirt (forgot his name), and last but not least Lawrence (we tipped all 3 huge at the end) they kept everyone happy all week.

WARNING - Lawrence offers some drinks called a Spinach with some 150 proof stuff that put people sideways all week, many a hard man crumpled under the force of the Spinach which we renamed the Shopping Cart because that was the only way people would be able to get back to their room in a Shopping Cart. But don't get me wrong for you soft drinkers, Lawrence times you right and with the grade A stuff he is serving it sits better.. I didn't see anyone throwing up or those negative scenes at all. He is a magician and only gives you what you need all with one of the biggest happiest smiles I have ever seen.

I had 7 spinachs in a couple of hours... funny enough it was during a moment I thought I was playing safe by not entering the drinking contest, I figured I would have to take care of my wife who entered... in the end they poured me into the Shopping Cart, and after an hour snooze under a hut, I was back at the volleyball, admittedly the first hour I was playing wobbly, but folks were amazed at the recoup.

Full credit to Lawrence the grand mixologist.

I sincerely apologize to the others I dragged in that Shopping Cart Day as all of us were sideways.

As for the night life you would think with all the sports an old dude like me (42) would've been sleeping off the intense games... but sleeping is for at home, and we were out every night.. for the shows and the clubs... great mix on offer... the balloon blowing up contest with the newlyweds was hilarious, the dance shows exceptional, and then we got stuck into the dancing ourselves ...besides the Canadian Special Guest DJ.. who was one of the worst sets I have ever heard... fortunately they kicked him off (sorry mate that was brutal and I love House and Digital music) the rest was awesome with a mix of great chill Reggae bands playing some awesome sets, and Dance music in the clubs ranging from hip hop, to Electronica, a bit of everything which was awesome. I sweat a few pounds off from the great food.

Sorry for rambling on but even though we can't afford it we will probably be back within 6 mths.

What can I say great resort great staff, some really cool mix of staff, Jamaican's, Brits, Americans, & Canadians. We had a blast.

If you are a nice person you will have the time of your life and really meet some awesome people along the way.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone that is cool, friendly, and not afraid to talk to the other cool people around you. The rest just please stay away, it is not 5 Star enough for you.

Room Tip: Lady Hamilton side you want to get Imperial and building 28 or 29. Book reservations for your meals...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank OrlandoMac
Dear OrlandoMac,

Thank you for sharing your review about your recent vacation here with us. We appreciate your positive comments and we are pleased to read about the wonderful time and experiences that you have had.

As a 5 Star Resort we pride ourselves in the level of service which we provide to our guests. It is important that our guests have a grand vacation and it is great knowing that you enjoyed all that we have to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future for another vacation nothing short of Grand!
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Loved it here! The people are friendly. Food was great, loved the breakfast buffet. Beach and pool wonderful. Jerk chicken with the rice on the beach amazing. Ready to go back!! Piña colada are so good. Rooms always cleaned minibar filled daily, even gave extra waters for the baby we had with us. All staff polite and very helpful. The POP young people were great. Always made us feel welcome. The bartender staff was great.we were in villa 40 next to sunset cove is where they have the best jerk chicken. At time of check out the picked us up right on time would not let us carry our own baggage. Looking forward to going back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Zanyzannal
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.
co durham
Reviewed August 24, 2013

weather was lovely had a nice room with a view of the sea and mountains .didnt think alot of the service thought it was a bit laid back .room was kept clean and tidy and the fridge was stocked every day .we done a trip the bob marley tour which was very interesting .we did have a good time
but we did get sick of the jerk chicken by the end of the second week .at least we can say we have been to jamaica yer mon but i wouldnt hurry back much prefer cuba !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear brodie36,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based on your stay here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are pleased that you enjoyed the overall stay and all that our property has to offer. Apart from our jerk chicken which is loved by majority of our guests that visit our Resort, we hope you did try and enjoy all other variety of cuisines that are offered by our restaurants. Despite your decision, we do hope to host you again in the near future as it was our pleasure doing so on this visit.

Best Wishes
Westmont, NJ
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This property is advertised as a 5-star resort, according to the Palladium Hotel Group website, however; our experience was more like a 1-star motel. Had we not been attending a wedding at the resort several days later I would have left and demanded a full refund after the first night. While the resort is breathtakingly beautiful, I would never recommend this property to anyone as the staff and service are atrocious.

While the list of issues we encountered was many, I will highlight a few below:

1. Check-in; Most rooms for our group were not ready until 5 or 6pm at night, with the excuse given that pillow cases were not yet available.
2. Upon finally getting into our room the telephone did not work. I notified the front desk four times and no one from maintenance came to fix the problem. This was especially concerning as we had given the hotel phone number to our child care provider at home to keep in touch with us. I asked to speak with a manager one day and was told there were none onsite that day.
3. The waits for the “a-la-carte restaurants” were 2 and 3 hours long and many times people resigned to eating at the buffet simply because they were too hungry and could not wait any longer.
4. The food served at the buffet and all restaurants was terrible. Period!
5. At 11am one morning our room had yet to be cleaned. I asked the housekeeping woman for 2 clean towels so that we could take a shower for the aforementioned wedding we were attending. I was informed that no clean towels were available and that “You don’t need to shower right now”. The housekeeper ended up “borrowing” clean towels for us from another room.
6. The water in our room suddenly stopped working for several hours while my wife was mid-shower. She had to use the hotel pool to rinse the shampoo out of her hair. The water service was finally was restored, but no explanation was given for the outage.
7. One member of our group used her credit card to upgrade her room upon check-in. This was the only time she used that card during her time in Jamaica. The card was comprised and several internet orders were placed. Thankfully the credit card company caught it and cancelled the account. We have since requested new card numbers for our account as we were told this hotel has had many issues with the front desk staff stealing credit card numbers. Be warned!

In general the staff are extremely rude, ill-trained, and not willing to provide the service that is to be expected when staying at a 5-star quality resort. There also seemed to be a lack of management around the hotel and in the restaurant to help resolve issues that arose.

Since returning I have contacted the hotel and management group several times to discuss our stay and can not get someone to return a phone call or email.

Do not waste your money on this resort...it is not worth it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kevin N
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Kevin N:

We are very disappointed that our resort did not match or exceed your expectation .

Some of the inconvenience that you mention we are currently addressing them.
However, I’m surprise that you found our food terrible, we offer a huge variety for breakfast, lunch and dinner, you can find pasta, beef, pork, fish, pizzas, burgers, hot dogs, salads, etc…

Thank you again for your valued critique. Most of which will help us improve our service standards. You can contact me by Private Message on this website and leave me your email address and I will contact you.

Best regards
Eugenia Santos
Food and Beverage Manager
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife, two kids and I stayed the first two weeks of august 2013 at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton.

Rooms

We were provided with a standard room in building 32 (3th floor) enjoying a splendid ocean view. The maid came every day and our mini bar was always fully stocked with a bottle of coke, diet coke, orange, sprite, 2 bottles of red stripe and 2 bottles of water. A problem with the shower head was resolved in due time.

Hotel Staff
Be happy (you’re on holiday) and friendly to the staff and you will get the same in return. The best thing to remember when you go here is that a little bit of courtesy and a hello/good morning/afternoon/evening go a long way.

The food at the hotel is great! Breakfast in one of the two buffet restaurants was amazing with a huge selection of food. There is always a great choice of food for lunch in the buffets and the jerk hut is really good too (make sure you try the spicy jerk sauce!).
For dinner, we tried all restaurants apart from the steak house, where there was always a long wait. They were all excellent. Men are required to wear long trousers in all of the indoor restaurants; in the outdoor restaurants (the Italian, Seafood, Indian and buffets) men can wear shorts.

Entertainment and Bars

The entertainment team at this hotel is really good. Special thanks to Pudgee for taking care of the animation (including the excellent music) on Sunset Cove. Evening shows start around 21.30 Hrs and were always very enjoyable. The only criticism I have is that the bars do not provide you with a cocktail list.

Hotel Grounds

The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful. The reception area is gorgeous with the large staircase. The grounds are kept immaculate and staff are constantly working on the beauty of the hotel. The hotel is massive! For those who find it difficult to walk long distances (or for people who are just lazy) there is a shuttle service which can pick you up from your room and take you to reception. Patience is sometimes required.

Pools and Beaches

We particularly liked the infinity pool (the largest pool in Jamaica) that never felt crowded. It was easy to find chairs and we experienced no problems with our stuff being left on the chairs. Sunset Cove is by far the most beautiful beach on the location. A few meters into the sea it can get stony, so it is advised to bring sea shoes.

Excursions

We visited Bob Marley's house in Nine Miles and the Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios. On a second excursion, we did a boat trip on the black river, visited YS falls and Peter Tosh’s house. We also took a taxi to visit Lucea. We enjoyed all visits as it was an opportunity to see the beauty of the island and its people.

Water Activities

The hotel offers a number of free water activities (kayak, pedalo, …) at Sunset Cove. We also went snorkeling with our own equipment. There was a lot of sea life a few meters from the beach. This was great!

(Only) criticism
The free Wifi connection, only available in the lobby, is disappointing. It takes very long to log on and you’re kicked off regularly. A five star hotel should offer a decent free Wifi connection.

Room Tip: We were provided with a standard room in building 32 (3th floor) enjoying a splendid view on the oce...
11 Thank HPeter1960
Dear HPeter1960,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!