“brilliant hotel”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“brilliant hotel”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

having just returned from the lady hamilton i was surprised how good the hotel was after seeing all the bad reports on here, after looking again at the reports it seems most of the negative ones are from Americans surprise surprise. the hotel is fab, the food is amazing and most of the staff are lovely, we had a great time and met lots of nice people the only negative thing i can say is about the pool it is not the cleanest and can i suggest they clean it out through the night not at 9am when everyone is ready to go in it. apart from this little grumble our holiday was perfect, as for waitng for ages for service and things this is how they live, very laid back almost falling over so dont expect them to be rushing around it aint going to happen. overall we think the lady hamilton do a pretty good job considering the size of the hotel, we would defo recommend it and the entertainment staff are fantastic always things going on, loved it was brill

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank toria_727
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,376)
  • Polish first
Anaheim Hills, California
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My family stayed at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Side from 7/14/13 to 7/19/13. Overall we had a good time, the resort and the beaches are beautiful, we didn't encounter any bad service or rudeness from anyone. Our room did have a musty smell however, I guess it was from the humidity. Anyway, my recommendation is when you are in Jamaica and on vacation, just relax and enjoy...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear toutie-99:

We're so happy to read that you had a great vacation with us at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa. We love to hear our guests boast about our beaches and property overall . Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure creating such a memorable experience for you.

We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future!

Best regards
Enfield, Connecticut
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Many of the negative reviews on this site are exactly what we encountered! We had to wait forever to check-in. We called a manager over and finally were given a room. Don't waste your money on a suite on the Lady Hamilton side. You only get garden views that show dirty drain canals that shoot bottles and trash by your windows! The tile floors in the room are cracked everywhere. Mold grows on the shower and when you fill the tub and turn on the jets, brown soot spills out. The fridge was unplugged, figured that out half way into the vacation. The sheets on our bed had holes in them and the pillows are awful! The smell of the room is horrible. I had to leave the suite cases outside for a few days to air them out. Every piece of clothing had to be washed from the smell left on the clothes!

The staff was very rude. The worst was the front desk. These people would actually roll their eyes at you when asking a simple question. Forget getting change. Every bar, store, front desk and even casino didn't have change for a twenty! My husband fell while playing volleyball and scrapped his entire leg open. (I know how could that happen with beach sand, it was more like beach pebbles) As he sat bleeding I ran up to the children hut to get some first aid items to clean it out. I was given an alcohol wipe and 2 bandaids. The cuts were as long as 8 inches. No one came down to check on us and when I finally asked where I could take my husband to get cleaned up I was told that the clinic was closed and to go to the gift store to buy band aids. We spent a fortune on first aid items the entire week because the clinic was going to charge us 35 dollars to clean it out. The wounds needed to be cleaned out multiple times a day. $35 each time would have been outrageous!

What is most disappointing is that the resort really could be beautiful if the grounds were kept up. I didn't want to walk anywhere without my flip-flops! (not even the room shower) Cups were floating in the pools, garbage was left in front of villas and puddles in the villa hallways were left for days.

My favorite day of the trip was when we left the resort. We spent the day shopping, drinking and complaining about the resort. As crazy as it sounds, it was soothing knowing we weren't the only people who were suffering. We talked about the long waits for dinner, the non-air condition in rooms and restaurants. The lack of information on what restaurants were open and times.

The one positive is that we met some great people on the trip. The visitors were good spirited trying to still have a good time while dealing with such an upsetting location and situation.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Julie N
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is one of the best hotel I have been so far.
They surprised me giving a junior suite sea side, balcony, there was free SPA, 11 restaurants 7 of which where a la carte, the biggest pool of Jamaica great drinks and food. Everything is greatly maintained over, there are 4 beach and the Sunset Cove is the best one. I also really enjoyed the bone fire night and all excursions that were available from the hotel.
To be fair I can't vote this hotel 10 out of 10 but 9.6 out of 10 because of some small issues: doors do not shield the sound of crickets and tree frog from the villa's courtyards, but I did quickly get used to their lullabies, animation skiving organisation of some late afternoon activities, diving center (Total Watersport diving center is not the best in class and whit a young girl not really polite) but I understand that out of hundreds of people working there they might have made a mistake. Also if you like diving and you go far from the private beach of the hotel there are not a lot of fish out there, you will see loads of fishing cages, nets and people with water guns killing the few fish that are still alive.
They also have free wifi in reception even if it is very slow but it works.

Anyway I really liked this place and sooner or later I will go back again.

Room Tip: North side room are sea front.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Raiday
Dear Raiday:

Thank you for your review, and delighted that you had a great time here with us, it was our pleasure to have hosted you, I hope to see you soon.

Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I have been to Jamaica four times so far and the last time we stayed at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We chose this resort because a friend of mine was getting married there. First of all, our room was not ready for over 2 hours after it was supposed to be. We finally got to our room, ready to take showers, and had no washcloths. In the next few days we called 4 times to get washcloths. We did not get any until almost the end of the 2nd day there. Our housekeeping service was just fine and she kept our room neat and clean. We realized after a couple of days that the housekeeper was not the one in control of the distribution of towels. That being said, our room was really nice. Our A/C worked just fine but we did notice that the bathroom always remained hot and humid because there was no exhaust fan. The bed was comfortable enough, but the pillows were like bricks. Certainly they could get pillows that were more comfortable! We only got our fridge restocked 3 times the entire week we were there. Secondly, the restaurants were just average. One thing that bothered us was the restaurants that were supposed to be air conditioned were not. Either they didn't have the air on or it wasn't working! It was very hot several nights for dinner. We went to the buffets several times for breakfast and once for dinner. The buffets reminded us of cruise food. We ate at Bubba's Steakhouse, the Hindi restaurant, the Mexican Restaurant, and the Asian fusion restaurant. Our favorite was definitely the Asian restaurant followed by the Hindi restaurant. Our favorite food was the jerk chicken from the hut on the beach. It was fantastic and service was fast! The bars were fine and we didn't really have to wait long for drinks. I did notice that the day bartenders were cranky for the most part but the nighttime bartenders seemed to actually enjoy their jobs. We particularly enjoyed sitting outside at the Infinity Bar at night. One side of it gets a nice breeze which feels good! The drinks were not as good as they were when we had been to Sandals three times previously. The pools were fine and on par with the ones we had seen at other resorts. The grounds were just ok, not pretty gardens and vegetation like we had seen at Sandals. The resort is also RIGHT on the road. There is really no driving back from the road into the resort. I am thankful that we paid a little extra to stay in a building close to the ocean and not near the road. The last day we called for bellhop service from our room. We were told they would be there in ten minutes, but we waited for twenty or more minutes and no one came. We needed to get to the lobby to check out and get on our bus to the airport so we made the hike with our luggage ourselves. When we got to the lobby, a bellhop asked why we had brought our own luggage. We informed him that we had called and waited a long while for pickup and no one came. No apologies were given. I proceeded to check out and was treated rather rudely. There was NO line of people at the front desk at all, I was the only one there. The desk clerk grabbed my keys and towel cards and handed me a ticket to give to the bellhop when we got on our bus to leave the resort. That was it. No "thank you," no "how was your stay," etc. I have NEVER gone even to a Hampton Inn where we have not been thanked and asked how we enjoyed our stay. For a resort that claims to be five-star, their customer service was lacking! My husband and I love Jamaica and have stayed at two Sandals resorts. We stayed at Sandals Whitehouse and what was previously known as Sandals Grande Ocho Rios. Both of our stays at Sandals ranked leaps and bounds over this one. You definitely get what you pay for and it will be worth it for us to pay an extra $1000 to have a more enjoyable stay at Sandals. Their customer service at Sandals was fantastic and we never had to deal with the issues we dealt with at Grand Palladium. The hotel transfer was also a pain because we had to set it up ourselves. The bus came almost an hour late and cut it a little too close getting us to the airport in time for our flight. With Sandals, transfers are free and the buses were never more than 5 minutes late picking us up. This was not the worst place we have stayed but it certainly wasn't the best. We will not be going back! Strictly Sandals for us from here on out!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 3331 and had a BEAUTIFUL ocean view from both of our balconies!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank melissa62377
FiestaJamaica, Food and Beverage Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Melissa62377:

Thank you for your review and appreciate you taking the time to let us know of our short comings and what needs to be improve. I must apologies for the conditions of your observation mention .

We are happy to know that still you love your beautiful room,and you may consider us for a next vacation.

West Bromwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed at the Lady Hamilton for 2 weeks
On arrival our room was not ready waited 2 hrs after a 9 hr flight not good
Room was disappointing jacuzzi didn't work neither did the shower luckily there was one helpful member of staff Mavin on front desk who changed our room the next day which was lovely
Unfortunately cleaners were lazy.
The hotel is situated far from anything so if you are well seasoned travellers like we then you want get out and about but the cost of a taxi being £70.00 was not something we were willing to keep paying as the hotel has no shuttle buses so every trip is very expensive
The pools are dirty and do not checked for bacteria through the day at all and majority of the staff are ignorant unless you are American of course then nothing is to much trouble even a champagne well on arrival
On the positive side the food is to die for especially the 10 restaurants and staff in these are lovely too
Would not recommend if you are a well seasoned traveller but if you want to stay in JA in a big luxury hotel this is for you.

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank Kazdav7
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Kazdav7:

Thank you for your review and appreciate you taking the time to let us know of our short comings and what needs to be improve. I'm sorry that you perceive the staff or the cleaners as lazy, and the hotel poorly managed. We get a lot of good comments as well for a lot of guests and persons that they had the best vacation ever.
I'm sorry again if you found the transportation expensive, sometimes you have to pay just not for the transportation it self , as well as for the safety.
However I'm glad you found the food fantastic!!

I extend my apologies again, and thank you for the comments.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I absolutely love this hotel. We visited last year ( March 2012) and we both agree that this is our favourite trip so far. The location is beautiful, the hotel spotless and the pool is huge! The drinks available are great and the bartender's are overall very nice.
The jerk chicken served on the beach was probably the best jerk chicken I've ever had.
If I had to say something negative it would be that the beach is very rocky however this didn't bother us too much.
We also took a trip to Montego Bay for a catamaran ride which was lots of fun. It's basically a booze cruise so I would only recommend it if you are into that type of thing. The banana boat ride was fun however we got knocked off a few times and stranded in the water for a few minutes which made me nervous even though there are apparently rarely sharks there. Another attraction we wanted to try was Rick's café however we did not have time. I am hoping to go back soon to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Anne G
Dear Anne G:

Thank you for your review of our resort. We are happy that you enjoyed us enough to think of coming again. We look forward to it!

Best regards
Food and Beverage Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!