“Grand Palladium, Jamacia”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Spring Valley, New York
“Grand Palladium, Jamacia”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I went on vacation to Grand Palladium, Lady Hamilton on Sunday, June 23, 2013 through Thursday, June 27, 2013. The resort it self was clean and huge. Upon arrival room the was very clean but our air conditioner was broken. They sent someone right away to fix it but it didn't blow out a lot of air. The hotel was completely booked so we were not able to get another room. Our room was one of the last villas so we were away from the restaurants and the entertainment. It was a lot of walking and every time we tried to catch to car that would drive you around the resort it was always packed. Marvin the bartender was amazing, housekeeping was very polite. The best part of the resort was when I saw the housekeeping staff praying & singing to God before work. I am a Christian and that touched my soul. I am an African American and my husband and myself felt that the staff in the restaurants paid more attention to other cultures than us. (Are we not human?). I felt that there wasn't enough to do (in the shade) on the resort during the day. The beach was beautiful, the steak house was amazing, not too crazy about the jerk pit because the only rice they served everyday was seafood rice. When did an excursion to the Dunn's River Falls. During the ride the bus driver dropped us off at Burger King and said he had to get gas. What I didn't understand is that this is a business why wasn't the bus fueled before you picked us up. And why couldn't we stay on the bus. (I have a friend that lives out there and she said its all business that is a way for tourist to spend more money so they always take you somewhere when you do excursions). After we were done my husband had a $20.00 asked the tour guy for $18 back. He said is that all your giving me, I said yes and he said take your money and go.This pissed me off how dare you insult us we don't have to tip any of the workers. After all that is his job and didn't we pay to get to Jamaica, then paid to get to the Falls. Everything with them is money, money, money..we are not rich but wanted to be nice and tip everyone. Money from the tourists is a blessing from GOD. So I said I will take my money back to the USA and that is just what i did. I wouldn't buy anything else from Jamaica and I will not be returning to that country. Oh yea also at the airport we had to wait on the bus for 1 hour before they took us to the resort. During that time they kept trying to sell us things.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank COLLEEN T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,367)
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We have just returned from a Holiday at this hotel and we have had a great holiday. Six of us ((3 couples in our 50s and 60s went on the holiday. We had a great holiday and a lot of this was because of the friendly attitude of the staff who on the whole could not do enough for us. A special mention for Gregory and Joy in the Infinity Bar who gave us such good service. One day I was standing looking at the lightning when a waitress came up to me to make sure I wasn't worried and to reassure me, I was ok and was only waiting for somebody but her thoughtfulness was typical of the kindness of the vast majority of the Jamaican people we came across.
I have read some of the less favourable reviews and would agree there are some issues with maintenance, cracked floor tiles, sunbeds in need of cleaning, some fans not working, the fountain in Villa 36 not working for example. I think due to these issues a 5* rating is a bit high. However although the rooms are looking a bit tired, they were clean. which was the most important thing.
On the whole a great holiday with some great people and lots of good memories.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jean C
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I had great experience in Grand Palladium in different locations but it is hard to believed at the same management can be that much different experience.At Jamaica Lady Hamilton was not even close what it should be.Grand Palladium was way over sale.Staff was not able to serve people,restaurants was packet.Selection of food was decreased.Privet events was going on everywhere for out side costumers, one day passes very sold too much and no one ever was willing to answering any questions.Apple representative we say day before we leave.Sport activities was scheduled beach aerobics every day but happens only 2 times in 10 days of vacation.The huge problem is all staff were very rude never please people.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank svetlana s
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Svetlana,

Thank you for your review and appreciate you taking the time to let us know of our short comings and what needs to be improved. I must apologies for the conditions of your observation mention. I am delighted you have gone to others Grand Palladium Resort but I have to say that every country is different and specially Jamaica.

About the sports activities it definitely should not happen as you mention. We take good note of it and we will analyze it and we will make sure to fix it, if that is the case.

Please, note that, while we make effort to ensure that the service we provide in our establishment meets your expectations, we work toughly through training and briefings to give our staff the necessary tools to provide the best service, trying to avoid unpleasant situations.

Once again I apologize for all inconveniences. It has been a pleasure to have hosted you.

Best regards,
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We had booked our vacation through Priceline at the Riu Negril because we had previously visited the RIU in Ocho Rios, Jamaica and loved everything about it. The night before we got an email stating that they were upgrading us to the Grand Palladium because they had overbooked the RIU. We accepted. What a mistake!!!
From the moment we arrived we were greeted by the awful customer service. we requested 4 towels, never got them the first night but the second day and had to keep requesting them daily. Nobody did anything for you unless you showed a dollar. We are used to tipping but at the Grand Palladium you had to show the money.
The food buffette choices was terrible, cold and not even near the fantastic RIu coices and beauty of presentation.
The room service was extremely slow, we had to sleep 2 nights without pillow covers because the maid only decided to cover half of them. The rooms were hot and humid because they do not have air conditioning just a water cooling system that definitely does not cool the room enough.
The restaurants were very small, few and you had to book extremely early in order to get in.
The landscapers and cleaning crew were often observed coming in and out of the pool to refresh their sweat without showering first. The pool chairs were not cleaned.
Even though beautiful, I truly do NOt recommend this ressort. To top everything, we returned home with a stomach virus or bug that had us both on antibiotics for 2 weeks. It began on our third day there, nausea, vomits and everything else; we caught it at the buffette or maybe the water. A total nightmare!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Rose R
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you have outlined. I am sorry we were unable to meet your expectations. Due to the high occupancies, many times we are unable to satisfy your requests.

The same way I’m surprised about the limited choices in terms of food that you found, for lunch and dinner, you can find pasta, beef, pork, fish, pizzas, burgers, hot dogs, salads, etc… Of course you can find different theme nights and a wide variety of theme Restaurants.

Please, note that, while we make effort to ensure that the service we provide in our establishment meets your expectations, we work toughly through training and briefings to give our staff the necessary tools to provide the best service, trying to avoid the situations outlined.
It is fantastic you liked the hotel grounds. Feel free to contact us if you have any other question or comment. It is being a pleasure to have hosted you.

Regards,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Overall we had a great vacation. As many reviews say the resort is very beautiful and I completely agree. When we arrived at the resort we were greeted with the news that we were upgraded to the Lady Hamilton side. When we arrived at LH we were greeted with rum punch and the children got orange juice. However we then experienced the nightmare of check-in. We were expecting it to be bad from the reviews we read but it was beyond bad. There was some sort of conference there and people kept cutting in line to try and get their room assignments. After over an hour of this occurring we finally got a break when they turned their backs and we got up to the desk. As expected the rooms were not ready which we were okay with. However I would have expected to receive our bands and check back in an hour or two. This didn’t happen we spent the next hour plus trying to square away the rooms. We had contacted the hotel the week of travel to indicate we had one individual in a wheelchair and needed at least one ground floor room. We got there to find out he was on the second floor. However even with the nightmare of a check in the person checking us in (forgot her name but it started with a V on 7/5/13) she did a great job with getting his room switched. Just wish it hadn’t taken over 2 hours to check in. With that behind us we were ready to enjoy our vacation.
Everyone was in the same building except us as we had requested a one bedroom suite but we were only in the next building over. Again this was a bonus that we were all together. The main pool is huge and you never felt crowded. It was easy to find chairs and we experienced no problems with our stuff being left on the chairs all day. As a matter of fact my SIL left some of her clothes overnight and there were still there in the morning. Same with us my daughters left their hats in the sports bar and we were able to locate them the next day. I also felt very safe walking my toddlers to our villa after dark by myself. No one was approaching you on the beaches – now going out on the kayaks in the water was a different story. However overall on the resort I felt very safe. I even had my iPhone left on the dresser with no incidents.
This is a very large resort so if someone has mobility issues I would highly recommend a wheelchair. The only area that would not have been accessible would be the 2nd and 3rd floors of the villas. We had no problems getting my father-in-law down to the beaches or up to the restaurants. Plus the golf carts were also a huge help. The main building does have elevators.
One of my favourite things of the vacation is the jerk chicken at the Sunset Cove beach. I highly recommend making a stop there. The remainder of the food was average to great depending on what you were eating. Some of the food that I didn’t like was just because I didn’t like it and nothing to do with the resort. I would have loved to have been able to take food from the buffet up to our rooms for a late night snack. However given the size of the resort I can understand why they would not want plates of food being taken here and there.
I would say overall my only complaint comes down to culture. In many of the other islands we have visited I felt like the people where very happy to have us on their island. They recognize that tourists pay their wages and make their life a little easier. They are happy to make your vacation as pleasant as possible. I just didn’t feel this in Jamaica. I felt like we were there to provide the staff with tips they were not there to serve us and make our vacation enjoyable. This did not hold true for everyone. We absolutely loved Sunshine and Happy. I think if everyone had their personalities this resort would be sold out every day of the year. We also like our housekeeper Shirley in Villa 29. We were however a little disappointed that our mini bar was not restocked every day during our visit (7/5 – 7/12). Not even so much for the beer and pop but the water for the kids.
The beaches are a little rocky and the water is not super clear Caribbean water. If you have been to places like Aruba and Antigua you may be disappointed. I am assuming that the comments received back from management recognizing their award winning beaches are in comparison to other beaches in Jamaica. However we still had a ton of fun on them and saw a lot of sea life on our snorkelling trip we took directly off the resort.

Room Tip: Building 29 3rd floor one bedroom suite could see the ocean but not ocean front. It was right next...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chrystal B
Taylor, Michigan
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I take a vacation every year, and this year we were looking to go somewhere out of the country. I found The Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton, and it looked beautiful! Though I read reviews, and I was skeptical, we booked. Over the next couple weeks I researched, still found negative reviews, and it started making me nervous, but I figured I'd find out for myself. I am SO satisfied with our trip that we are already booking a trip for June of next year and bringing our friends and family along with us! The resort has many beaches, and many things to do! "La Brisas Beach" is a little rocky up by the shore so wear water shoes, but once you get past the rocks it's nothing but sand. =} We loved Sunset cove, we did the shore snorkeling there! There are kayaks and paddle boats to rent (free) so there is plenty to do there! The pool is breath taking and fun to hang out at, we enjoyed watching the contests they had going on everyday by the pool around 12:30pm, like a belly flop competition and a soccer kick competition. The bar tenders at the swim up bar are great, & always make the best drinks! As for the restaurants, they're great. The buffet is where we ate breakfast and lunch, at first it takes a little getting used to, but as I went on, I found combinations of foods that I just loved there! There is also a sports bar that has chicken tenders, onion rings, pizza, Philly steak sandwiches, a nacho bar, pop corn, & ice cream that we visited for lunch one day. We went to the a la carte restaurants around 7:30 and I loved Bubba's steak house, we got a filet mignon steak and potato there, and it was delish! Don't get discouraged by the wait, we were told we had "19 people ahead of us" and only ended up waiting 20 mins, so it's not as bad as every one made it seem! Men require long pants at the a la carte, so don't forget to bring at least one pair! Also, don't book your excursions until you get to the resort! We did the Dunn's River Falls tour with the "Ultimate Dolphin Swim" where we got to swim with 2 dolphins. And we got the free upgrade to 2 dolphins when booking through the resort. Also, we got a cheaper price than the couple from a different resort by almost $80 a person. That excursion is well worth it! Such a blast! Highly recommended! There is a mini market I was worried about at the end of Dunn's River that I read some awful reviews on.. Tip: Leave your belongings on the bus, and bring in little to no money, unless you WANT to shop. If you tell them you have no money they will not bother you, just smile and keep walking! For the resort: Bring about $50 in singles to tip, it is much appreciated! We stayed in the Honeymoon Villas, which did require a lot of walking due to it being out on the tip of the resort, so bring some comfy shoes! I got blisters from my flip flops! There is a taxi cart service you can call to pick you up, but we figured out it was easiest to just walk the beach, which isn't a bad view anyway ;) staff is friendly and helpful, and make the resort a blast! They are very friendly there, so expect to be acknowledged! The only downfall for me was the walking, but I'd do it again! The room was lovely, every honeymoon sweet has a Oceanside view, the outdoor shower was awesome, and the jacuzzi tub we had could fit 4! Hahah. Large king size bed, all rooms have a mini fridge I believe and it's stocked daily with coke, diet coke, sprite, beer, water, and a Jamaica orange soda which is quite tasty! All in all, we had a fabulous time and cannot wait to go back! Don't let the negative reviews scare you away, some people just cannot be pleased..

Room Tip: We were not married or getting married but still splurged and went with the Honeymoon Villa, but the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Rochelle D
Niceville
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had a family reunion at this resort, using a total of five (5) rooms, for a seven (7) day stay at the beginning of July, 2013. The children had a great time, especially at the pool and Sunset Cove beach. The rooms were great as well (the junior suites). However, the shortcomings fall into three (3) categories: food/drinks, service and child care.

1. **Food**: there are two (2) restaurants that were good (the Italian and the Indian); we had bad experiences at the Lotus (both food and service) and Bubba's steak house (the food was poor). The buffet restaurant (Negril) was good, but it was the same food menu to entire time we were there. Also, Negril's was closed in the morning of July 4th due to a fire in the kitchen. Negril's was our "go to" place because we could serve ourselves, which is helpful when feeding small children. Service was slow (20 - 30 minute waits), and many times you had to ask more than once.

1A. **Drinks**: Alcoholic drinks were noticeably watered down, and if you wanted a decent drink you had to ask for 2 or 3 shots in one drink. Drink variety was limited. The only beer served was "Red Stripe", which was just okay. The wine was the lowest quality; if you wanted better quality wine with your meal, you picked one from a wine list, at a cost of 3 - 4 times what you would pay in the USA.

Overall, the staff did not seem to be trained very well; I noticed lots of wasted motion among the wait staff, and with a large group they were not able to serve everyone at the same time - some of us just had to wait (and once did not get served at all). Also, the restaurant staff were not helpful with families with children; children tend to be more work so we got less service on those occasions; families with children would then do better just going to the buffet restaurant.

2. **Service**: Be prepared for slow service. When checking out, we were told to call ahead 30 minutes for the bell hop to take our luggage. We did, were promised someone right away, and no one showed up so we hauled our own luggage to avoid missing the bus to the airport. This happened with every family in our group. When we first arrived and checked in, the bell hop took us to our room, told us 1 or 2 things about the room, then left; we only learned later about keeping veranda doors closed or the AC won't work, or keeping the room key in the room slot so that the lights work. We learned later that the bell staff is supposed to do this, but it did not happen with our group. Also, if you check in before 4:30 PM, be prepared to wait until 5:00 PM to get your room (there were exceptions, but this happened often).

3. **Child Care**: this resort promises babysitting services, but the quality is very uneven, especially for children under age four (4) years old. For small children, the staff would only accept a maximum of FOUR (4) children under age four (4) at any one time; for a resort this size, that's unacceptable, and lots of parents were turned away. Also, the staff was not always attentive; we had one close call with a 2 year old walking out of the facility - whom the parent caught, not the staff. Another time, older children were dropped off, but then the facility needed cleaning so the children were left standing outside, lined up, and bored, for about an hour. Entertainment for older children was mainly watching TV / Videos, like "Spongebob". Finally, the child care facility itself was small, with limited play activities.

**A Note on Tips**: this resort promises that tips are included, but the pressure to tip was strong; when one of our group had their luggage delivered by a bellman, he demanded a tip and was rude to boot. Overall, if you wanted something done, tip.

**Other Maintenance issues**:

- Outdoor shower next to the main pool was completely clogged and had stagnant water sitting in it.
- The water feature in the middle of Villa #38 was broken with a battery leaking in the middle and wires for the fountain lying in the water.
- The lounge chairs at the beaches and pool were worn and dirty.
- On arriving at the pool or Sunset Beach in the morning the trash from the night before had not been cleaned up.
- The trash cans at Sunset beach did not have lids and thus attracted bugs and smelled.
- The smell of trash was prevalent at most of the outdoor restaurants and bars. Saw food waste lying on the ground next to the ramp down to the Water Sports area.
- The mops used to clean smelled sour and the mop water was dirty.
- Three (3) out of the 5 showers at the Spa did not work properly.
- The pool with the stones at the bottom did not work at the Spa

**Some Positive Comments**:
- The rooms were nice
- Cleaning staff were friendly
- The main pool was gorgeous
- Water Sports area was fun

Finally, look on the Lady Hamilton Grand Palladium website to see the list of what is offered, then read the various Trip Advisor reviews. It will help with your expectations if you decide to go there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TomatoNiceville
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear guest,

Regards,
Marta, Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,915 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!