“Great Vacation and Things You Should Know”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I spent 5 nights, July 6-11, at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton with my wife and 2 children. We had a regular room not an upgraded suite. Our overall experience was excellent, although there were some initial hick-ups. Our room was suppose to be 2 queens, but all they had was a king with a pull-out. I'm easy going, so I said ok. Upon arriving in the room, 3622, we noticed a moldy smell. That night when I ran the air conditioner, the smell was too much for me. I turned the A/C off, opened the sliding glass door, and ran the ceiling fan. The next morning I explained the situation to the front desk, and they changed our room to one with 2 queens and there was no problem with the odor at all.

Room Quality:
The room was very nice with a large clean shower and a jet tub. The room was well decorated, cleaned daily, stocked frig daily, and the patio area was quite nice. Really a very nice room with a digital safe and no visible wear to any furniture or amenities.

Resort Upkeep and Beaches:
The resort is extremely well kept. Grounds maintenance is really superior. All buildings, walkways, and restaurants are in excellent shape. The beaches are manmade and very nice, but the water is not turquoise blue and translucent. It is very nice water, but it's not like the beach water in Cancun or the Bahamas. Generally, Jamaica is a country with a rocky coast. With the exception of Negril, which is sandy beach, Jamaica is not really endless white sand. That said, the beaches at Lady Hamilton are very, very good and well maintained, but if you are looking for endless white sand, generally Jamaica is not really the place to find that. Water shoes are a good thing to bring anywhere in Jamaica.

Food and Restaurants:
The food was outstanding! All of the buffets had wonderful food and plenty of it. We tried every restaurant except the Italian and Indian ones. They were all very good, very professional, gourmet in quality and professionally presented.

Staff:
The staff at Lady Hamilton were terrific. Many people on this website have commented that the staff are rude. I never found anyone that was rude. Everyone was very nice, and they were very nice before any tip was presented. The staff were very professional, very helpful, and not necessarily looking for tips. I was warm and pleasant with all of the staff I met, and they in turn gave warm and pleasant returns, good service, and warm smiles.

Location:
Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton's location I should discuss. The resort is isolated. It is about a 5 min drive from the nearest town, Lucea. So, if you are looking to get in touch with the local Jamaican culture, this is not the place for you, Negril would be your choice. Lady Hamilton's Isolation does have advantages, it is private. No one will come up to you trying to sell you things at this resort. It also has a very safe feel to it. Lucea is interesting, and I did take a taxi into town. There is nothing touristy in Lucea to see beyond the local culture and dramatic difference in surroundings.

Day Trips Outside the Resort:
We did take 3 trips while at Lady Hamilton. We went zip lining, we swam with a dolphin, and we took an 8 hour trip into Negril while there. All 3 of these trips were fantastic highlights that we will always remember. There is much to tell, to much to tell here. It simply enough to say that they were worth ever extra penny we paid for those wonderful experiences that really enhanced our stay.

Overall:
Overall I was impressed with the room quality, once my room was changed. I was impressed with the overall design of the property. I liked the architecture and decorations. The grounds were extremely well maintained. The beaches are very nice for manmade. The food was always good. The staff were very kind, pleasant and professional people. I recommend the resort to all, business, families with kids, solos and couples.

Room Tip: Room 3324 was our second room, and it was very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Jon G

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The brilliant white domes of the Greek themed open air style lobby rises majestically over the stunning and scenic view of the turquoise ocean and the original Bamboo Bay cove. You are greeted with a welcome cocktail as you check in at the pristine and elegant lobby complete with a sweeping grand entry stairway.
Each of the rooms where spacious, with a modest, cool tiled sitting area or stylishly furnished living room with mini bar refrigerator, cold complimentary refreshments , flat screen TV, that boasts several channels including premium channels and ample closets. The bedrooms were decorated with relaxation in mind, sheer curtains draped luxuriously over the headboard, robes and slippers laid out for your pleasure. The bathrooms come equipped with marble enclosed Jacuzzi style tubs and separate large showers. Keep in mind that the buildings do not have elevators (I think that’s a Jamaican thing) and your power or A/C must be turned on by using your door key.
over 7 a la carte restaurants and at least 4 buffet style restaurants with an all-inclusive array of tastes, drinks, and cuisine that should please any picky eaters’ palate. A 5 star spa was the highlight of our stay, which offered extensive selections of treatments, private saunas, baths, Jacuzzis, lazy pool and state of the art gym. the main attraction is the massive azure blue wading and diving pool with swim up bar, in water lounge chairs and view of the beaches on the edge of the pristine clear bay. In addition are the four different beaches, and pools, each offering it‘s own spectacular views and seclusion. At the cove there is complimentary access to water sport equipment including paddle boats, catamaran sailing, kayaking and snorkeling.
WHAT YOU DONT GET!! It doesn’t help that the establishment is on its 3rd General Manager in 3 and half years. No wonder the lack of motivation among its disgruntled staff and leaves me to pause and think, uh oh… if you can’t even get your General managers to stay, what kind of service are your customers going to get for their money. The answer: NOT very much. Grand Palladium & Lady Hamilton suffers from poor customer service, non-responsive housekeeping, lack of communication, knock off equipment and machinery, non-existent WIFI, lack luster food, theft and maintenance plagued buildings/rooms and mediocre or boring activities .
Several requests for towels, pillows, robes and wash cloths over a period of 6 hours either went unheeded or given the excuse that they were short or ran out. Messages, emails or requests to management or front desks often went unanswered or failed to be delivered at all. Based on feedback from other guests, theft occurred frequently, and much to their chagrin, several people (including family of my own) had to be moved to other rooms when their room ceilings collapse from water damage and poor repairs. The food, although plentiful, lacked presentation and were bland in taste, similar to something you may receive at a cafeteria.
There is no free WIFI access in the rooms. It is only available in the lobbies or you may pay an absurd fee for a specific amount of access minutes using their internet computers, (consists of 2 computers with a printer on desks situated in the corner of the lobby) or your own. It was equally interesting to watch over a dozen guests in the lobby contort themselves in ridiculous poses, just to get a viable internet connection, which didn’t last long, as you were booted off as soon as a rain cloud passed by.
The shuttles, although available and easily accessible were cheap knock offs as evidenced by the on board warning signs that spoke in Chinese. Um... if we don’t speak or understand Chinese then what’s the point of warning us.
It was obvious through observation and good old fashion eavesdropping that staff are underpaid and dissatisfied. It speaks volumes when you realize that there are no opportunities for local professional growth, employee recognition or development if you apparently don’t speak Spanish. The Palladium is owned by the Spain based Fiesta Hotel group, and almost all promotions are given to Spanish speaking staff or imports from other countries. Here’s a corporate leadership tip: If your staff are unhappy, so will be your customers.
Lastly, the activities available were infrequent and boring. If your intention is to just swim and play booze bingo then this is right up your alley. Although they had nightly Las Vegas style shows and a couple of “disco” bars, the colorful energy of the culture of Jamaica was lacking. You would think such a grand display of refinery would take advantage of revitalizing a once popular tourism and celebrity haunt that was the city of Lucea, just a ten minute ride from the resort. Perhaps there could have been more prospects for activities there. Perhaps that would be too generous.
To say the least I was more than disappointed with my stay, and very dismayed. Will I return…..? Probably not. My recommendation, take the extra 40 minutes and stay at some of the other more reputable inclusive resorts, such as Sandals, RIU and Couples all within miles of the Grand Palladium in Montego Bay or Negril. I’m sure they will be more worthy of your hard earned money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Karen N
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Karen,

First of all I want to say thank you for all your positives comments about our Resort. I am delighted that you enjoyed your room, the restaurants, the spa and the water sports activities.
I must apologize for the inconvenience of not having towels, pillows, robes and wash cloths when requested. Referring to the WIFI, we have a free WIFI area in both lobbies but as you said there is an extra charge for having internet in your room and all the property.

Even Palladium Hotel Group is a Spanish company we have plenty of Jamaican people working in management positions. Jamaica is the only destination of English speaking in Palladium, so it is more difficult to find English speaking managers in the chain. This company bets on the development and promotion of its staff, whatever nationality it is
We know, everyone has different experiences and expectations so I am sorry we were unable to meet your expectations.

I apologize for the facts that you describe, we take good note of them and we will analyze them and we will make sure to fix them if that was the case. There's always room for the improvement and we will work in our weakness in order for our guests to receive the treatment and service that they deserve.

It was our pleasure to have had the opportunity of hosting you and we extend a special invitation for you to return in the near future to experience all that changes that will have been made. Until then, take care.

Best Regards,
Marta, Guests Relations

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We arrived on Saturday 29th July and unfortunately did not have us booked into a room however they sorted this out very quickly. We arrived and the room was great! It was clean and we had an amazing view!! We went to a few of the restaurants but we enjoyed the steak house the best!! All the food was fab however get to the al a cart early as you may end up queuing. In your room there is a flip booklet that lists all the times they are open and dress codes. All the pools were really nice we did perfer the adult pool as was a bit more peaceful. All the staff were friendly and helpful and the staff at the front desk answered everything that we asked so I think the other review about this is talking about a different hotel. We went on the bob marley trip but is a very long drive 3 hours to get there in total. However it was worth it. All in all we had an amazing time! all I would say is that I didnt enjoy the main evening entertainment could do with it being a bit more varied but the music in the infinity bar was very very good!! Thank you to all at the hotel for a wonderful holiday!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank SibandBen
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We can only verify that the resort is very large and the difference between a stay in Fla. and
Lucea is the beach. Never felt like we were in Jamaica - it was very americanized.

The resort has about 4 or 5 small rocky beaches. We used the sunset
beach although it was totally opposite our 3 story building and we had to walk about 20 minutes.
We also had lunch there and enjoyed jerk chicken. In the evenings we visited one of the
three self-service restaurants. Food was very good. There are several other restaurants - asian,
steak, italian, mexican etc. We tried all of them, but normally there was a waiting line and the food did not meet our expectations. One could find fresh fruit, vegetables, fish, meat, etc. in those
self-service restaurants and that was very good. Apparently a plane arrives from Atlanta twice
a week. These tourists visit the Palladium Resort because it is 'all inclusive'. They spend their
time eating and drinking. Some were so heavy, they could not walk without help. That was positive for us. We limited our intake to fruit, vegetables, salads and some jerk chicken. Certainly
not good to come back home with extra pounds.
We especially enjoyed water gym at the sunset cove. These guys are really motivated. Unfortunately it did not take place on a daily basis.
Employees at the resort are very friendly. We took a tour to Rick's Cafe, the Rum factory, river with crocodiles, etc. Would have been nice to have some explanations about flora and fauna.
The man at the reception (name?) was very friendly. He was interested in a dictionary German-
English. If you have some German reading material at home, take it along. It would come to a
good use.
We made the best of our vacation, but I would not go back and I would not recommend it to friends. One is isolated and one could do better in the U.S. with sandy beaches, etc.
Five stars is definitely too much. Take away from star. Only the beautiful architecture and gardens are worth 5 stars.
By the way we had cockroaches in our bathroom. After I reported that fact to 'housekeeping'
I believe that nothing happened and one came out of the hair dryer a few days later. It is probably
difficult in that climate not to have cockroaches.
What was really annoying though is the fact that one has to pay to receive WiFi. We had booked
a junior suite, but then asked for an upgrading to a suite. Not even then did it include WiFi. One cannot receive WiFi at the reception as indicated. That should really be included in a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christina M
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Christina,

Thank you for your feedback and your comments, they are greatly appreciated and help us to improve our service.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the food in our buffet restaurants. In the other hand, I am sorry we could not meet your expectations in the a la cart restaurants: Our daily goal is to maintain high food quality standards in order to please all our guests.

Also I am glad to hear you enjoyed the water gym at the sunset cove. We have a large variety of activities during the day and I hope you had the opportunity to try some other activities.

I have to apologize for all inconvenience you had during your stay. Referring to the WIFI, we have a free WIFI area in both lobbies but as you said there is an extra charge for having internet in your room and all the property.

Thank you for the recognition of our staff at our resort. They work hard every day and do their best to make your stay pleasant.

Once again thank you for visit us, it has been a pleasure to have hosted you.

Regards,
Marta, Guest Relations

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Overall we thought this hotel was really nice and one of the nicer all inclusive resorts we have been too (previously been to Mexico & Dom Rep).

On arrival at about 6pm we were given a welcome rum punch and checked in within about 5 minutes. A bell boy took our bags for us on a golf trolley over to our room, which was actually only about a 5 minute walk from reception.

We spent a lot of time by the main pool as my husband loves to play beach volleyball which was on everyday from 10.30 and continued all day as long as there were enough people wanting to play.

We didn't think this resort was too large. Everything was within a 5 minute walk and it was quite nice that you could spend the day in different areas (i.e. beach, pool) as it added a little more variety. Don't know why people have been complaining about this, they must be really really unfit!

The beaches were nice enough, plenty of sunbeds everywhere in the resort so no need to get up early to get shade as there are also plenty of umbrellas. We liked the adult pool as it was a 2 minutes walk to the beach so you could lay off the sand but go snorkelling if you wanted to. It was also quite a sociable place later in the day with people playing games and drinking in the pool.

The food was really nice. We mainly went to the buffets in the lobby for breakfast and lunch and then to the a la cartes for dinner. I thought the a la cartes were really nice and of better quality than some other resorts we have been too. We went to the steak house, italian and indian. We had a two hour wait for the steak house but we were expecting this so put our name on the list at about 6, and ate at 8. Only had to wait 15 minutes for the italian both times (at about 7/7.30) and no wait for the indian. All had nice food, particularly the italian I thought which was comparable to a Zizzi in the UK.

We didn't experience much of the evening entertainment as we didn't quite recover from the jet lag as we were only there a week but it appeared to have the usual show every night, markets and bands etc in the bar.

Overall this was a really nice hotel for a week's break in the sun and was what we expected. We knew it wasn't realy 5* but for the price we paid (£800 inc flights from the UK) we were very happy with our holiday and would recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: We were in block 36 which was very convenient for everything on the adult side inc the main pool, lo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sarah8586
Reviewed July 11, 2013

100% a 5* resort You honestly could not want more from a resort.
It literally has everything to offer; A Nightclub, 8x Pools, A Sports Bar, Jerk Chicken Hut, Evening Entertainment, A La Carte Restaurants, a handful of Buffets and a 5* Spa.
It is a huge resort surrounded by private beaches. There are plenty of buggy's on site to take you to and from your room if you are not fond of walking.
Staff are very polite and always happy to help!
We had a great time, the room had an amazing view, was spotless and well decorated.
Lots of American and Canadian guests so the breakfasts are very much tailored to meet their needs. However, in saying that we were not short of choice, everything from local dishes to pancakes and omelettes. All of the buffets also have live cooking stations.
We will certainly be going back.

Room Tip: Distance is not an issue as staff are willing to take you to and from your room on a buggy. We staye...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ReddFabulous
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Grand Paladium Lady Hamilton stay 6/29/13 - 7/6/13
Front Desk: On arrival at 1:45pm we waited 20 minutes at Check in with only one couple ahead of us and 3 Front Desk attendants standing around. At 2:05 we filled out the paper work we were told our room would be ready at 3:00. We checked back in at 3:30 and the room was not ready. At 3:45 we asked again and waited 20 more minutes until someone assisted us. We finally got a room at 4:45.
During our stay I asked the front desk what restaurants were open and when. No one could give me times and just handed me a list of the restaurants.
I found the Front Desk attendants unknowledgeable about the resort and unwilling to help with basic Front Desk questions and responsibilities.
Around the Resort: There were multiple maintenance issues.
- Outdoor shower next to the main pool was completely clogged and had stagnant water sitting in it.
- The water feature in the middle of #38 was broken with a battery leaking in the middle and wires for the fountain lying in the water.
- The lounge chairs at the beaches and pool were worn and dirty.
- On arriving at the pool or Sunset Beach in the morning the trash from the night before had not been cleaned up.
- The trash cans at Sunset beach did not have lids and thus attracted bugs and smelled.
- The smell of trash was prevalent at most of the outdoor restaurants and bars. Saw food waste lying on the ground next to the ramp down to the Water Sports area.
- The mops used to clean smelled sour and the mop water was dirty.
- 3 out of the 5 showers at the Spa did not work properly.
- The pool with the stones at the bottom did not work at the Spa
Restaurants:
- Could not handle large crowds.
- Long wait for food at all restaurants besides the Indian cuisine.
- Food was mediocre and temperatures were not consistent.
- Not conducive for children especially because of the long wait.
- Did not list times or schedule

Good attributes
- The rooms were nice
- Cleaning staff were friendly
- The main pool was gorgeous
- Water Sports area was fun

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kate S
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear guest,

We would like to express you how sorry we are to hear that we could not fulfill all your expectations regarding our hotel facilities and services; we apologize for the inconveniences regarding your check in process.
I also must apologize about all maintenance issues you mention in your review. We are already working to fix all of them. Referring to the restaurants, you can get all information in guest relations or the boards placed in the lobby and in your room, where there is an information sheet with all services and their schedules. I have to apologize you had to wait long to get into a restaurant but there are certain peak hours that are very difficult to control.
We would love to host you in the near future so you may witness the changes that will have been made. Please do not hesitate in contacting us again if there is anything that we can do from this end.

Best Regards,
Marta, Guest Relations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!