“Better bring cash for tips!”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We visited The Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton June 19 to June 25 for our nephew's wedding. We were part of a group of 68 people who traveled from PA to Jamaica for this very special event. The wedding ceremony was beautiful and the scenery at the gazebo overlooking the Caribbean Sea was spectacular! The reception dinner was delicious and the servers were excellent and entertaining. They even joined in dancing and really got things jumping. They were great! The DJ was fantastic; he kept everybody up dancing through the entire evening. It was the place to be that Saturday night, just ask the 30+ other resort guests that crowded the hallway listening and dancing to the music.

Now for the rest of the story:

The grounds, beaches, buildings and rooms at The Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton are really beautiful. But the service leaves much to be desired. This was our 6th trip to Jamaica since 1980; each time we have stayed at a different all-inclusive resort. We have also stayed at all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, The Dominican Republic, etc. This is, by far, our least favorite place. It was obvious that the management has no desire to exceed anybody's expectations. As a matter of fact, in our 6 days at the resort, we never met or even saw any of the resort managers. At every other resort we’ve stayed, managers would greet guest at the restaurants and pools daily and inquire how they were enjoying their stay and if there was anything they could do to make it better. That didn’t happen here.

The bed was extremely firm which is fine with me but the pillows were like flat slabs of concrete. They were the most uncomfortable things I've ever slept on. The resort does offer a solution; you can rent normal pillows for a "reasonable” $3.00 per night. It's hard to have a great time when you can't get a good night's sleep. And it never feels good to be nickeled and dimed for basic things that you just expect at a 5 star resort. Really! I don't have to pay extra for pillows at a Motel 6!

Our travel agent told us that tipping was optional at this resort but we were not prepared to tip everybody that we came in contact with. When we arrived at our room I tipped the bellman for carrying 2 of our 3 bags (he left the other in the golf cart, so I carried it to the room). When I gave him the money he just stood there looking at me for a few seconds before saying "Ya mon", then he left. I guess it wasn’t as much as he expected, but then again I expected him to carry all my bags. If you want service at the swim-up bar you had better come with plenty of cash (US dollars - not Jamaican). The bartenders won't even look at you if you don't have cash in your hand. The same was true at the Infinity bar. The bar at the adult pool was much different, prompt, friendly service without the guilt trip.

Service at the restaurants was very inconsistent. Some of the servers were top notch, some were completely unmotivated and some were absolutely clueless. It was obvious that employee training is not on par with the likes of Sandal's and the other top rank resorts. The meals we had at the Steak House, Jamaican restaurant and Mexican restaurants were very good as well as the service. The meals at the Seafood restaurant were not so good and the service was horrible. The restaurant was less than ½ full yet it took over 40 minutes to get seated. The wait between each course was exceptionally long too. The dinner took over 3 hours.

The resort does not offer room service and the restaurants do not allow you to take any food out of the restaurant area.

When you check in they give each guest a card that can be traded for 1 pool towel. When you return the towel they give your card back to you. If someone steals your towel or if you misplace your towel or card, you will be charged $20.00. This system is stupid! And everyday before noon they run out of clean towels.

Housekeeping was inconsistent, some days we got 2 hand towels, some days we got 1. Sometimes we got face towels, sometimes we didn’t. Sometimes we got a clean bath mat, sometimes we didn’t. Sometimes they filled the refrigerator, sometimes they didn’t. Our room did not have robes or slippers for us to use and it did not have an iron or ironing board. They did not turn down our bed or leave chocolates or mints nor did they have fresh flowers in our room and not even one cute little towel animal! These are all things that we have come to expect at a resort like this.

I think the thing that was most disappointing was the overall attitude of the resort staff. It just did not seem like we were in Jamaica; it was more like Atlantic City, NJ. The staff was just doing their job so they could get paid and if you want a little extra you’re gonna have to tip me … up front. It didn’t seem to matter to them at all if the guests were having a good time or not.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KBStar
Write a ReviewReviews (5,362)

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Just arrived home on the 1st July , Wow what can i say the buffets are the best i've had , and the Al carte are exceptional,favourite was Bubbas which did the best ever fillet steak i have tasted, followed by the indian restaurant then the italian and mexican.
Never had a problem with room service cleaned everyday plus mini bar filled daily.
All the staff were very nice, did not feel that i had to tip at all , pool is lovely and big and never felt overcrowded.
The beaches are lovely , fantastic for snorkling and just lying on a sunbed in the sea to cool you down.
Would definateley go back again.

11  Thank StTudyPippa
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review based off your recent stay here at the Grand Palladium Jamaica. We are elated that you have enjoyed your vacation and all that our Resort has to offer. We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations, the delicious meals and the competent service received from our staff.

If ever you need any assistance from this end, please feel free to contact us as we will be happy to assist. We look forward to your visit in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you on this visit. Until then, best wishes.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

First trip to Jamaica...and the LAST all because of our experience at this hotel. You could only do so much at this hotel. My family and I were eager to explore the outside but the staff kept telling us that it is not safe at all and to stay at the resort. The staff demanded tips for everything.....even for their horrible service. By the 3rd day the other couples and I were already bored and we did the best that we could to enjoy it. That is until my room and another couple's room were missing $$$! I had $200 stolen from my wallet that was well hidden inside my suitcase! The thief must have had a conscious because they didn't take ALL my money hidden. I felt violated because they actually went through my personal belongings! The other couple had $250 stolen and theirs was taken from the hotel safe!!! Again, not ALL their money was taken....enough $ was left for them to get through the rest of the week. Of course we complained to the front desk and security came to take fingerprints BUT it was all too fishy as if they have done this before and I wouldn't be surprised if security was in on it. The front desk quickly mentioned that it's possible that we might have misplaced/dropped the money while we were drinking at the resort. Very sneaky of them to expect us to be hammered and unaware...... It's no wonder the staff kept telling us to stay at the resort!!!

So if you do plan on staying at this resort....BE CAREFUL with your $$ AND DO NOT TRUST THE ROOM SAFE THERE. You have been warned!

GPLH, thanks for ruining this trip.... I will not be recommending this place to anyone!

6  Thank Mira F
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Absolutely wonderful. Romantic, food was great, and relaxing! We always talk about going back. The concierge set us up day trips for our time there, and they all were perfect! The weather was perfect, and the beaches beautiful. One of the most convient was the swim up bars at the big pool!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tori S

Greetings Tori S!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your stay here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

It was our pleasure hosting you and we welcome you to visit again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything that we can do from this end. Until your next stay, best wishes from our Palladium Family.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I went to this resort with a bunch of friends (around 50+ people) for a destination wedding. There are some pros and cons to this resort. Before I start, I will admit that I am a resort snob. I have been to many luxurious resorts and this critique will be very particular.

Room:

I stayed with a friend in a regular room with a double bed. We were put in Villa 35 (perfect to be in the middle of everything). The rooms itself was nice. The bathroom needs some more decoration. It is plain white (not like a pretty cream or eggshell) kind of like it was forgotten about. The public bathrooms were nicer than the room bathrooms! The "mini bar" was more like a cooler. Soda, water, and red stripe. Since the room was on the ground floor, we had a patio, but never stepped foot on it because it was next to the walking path for many guests. Kind of uncomfortable to sit outside and nothing to really look at. My girlfriend who was getting married at a honeymoon suite. It was beautiful! Overall, if you are looking for romance, got all out and get the honeymoon suite. Gorgeous view of the ocean, outside shower, huge bed, nice space, two separate sinks, and a large Jacuzzi tub. A little bit further from things, but you can use a shuttle/taxi to get you around if you don't want to walk.

Restaurants:

Hope you like buffets for breakfast and lunch! There are two buffets open for breakfast. They both have the same exact thing so it doesn't matter which one you have. For the a la carte dinners, there is the Creole/Jamaican, Steakhouse, Indian, Italian, Mexico, and Seafood. The food is ok. Nothing fantastic. There was a huge problem with what the resort's "reservation" system is. The resort advertises "reservations" but many guests got different responses as to have to get them. Some people heard that the concierge stops taking reservations at 3. Some said they were told they couldn't get reservations. Some heard that it was only for people with special occasions. By then, we figured we would just fib if we wanted to get reservations and say that it was someone's birthday/anniversary/honeymoon/wedding. The service was very odd. By the end of the trip, I felt like I was in a different world. For example, you would order 5 cokes for 5 people and you would get 2 cokes, 2 sprites, and a water. And you will have to wait for a while until they get the order right the 2nd time. This wasn't everywhere, but it became frustrated by the end of it. It was the worst at the buffet. It is pretty much roulette on what drink you will get. Expect coffee or tea no matter which one you ask for.

WARNING FOR THOSE WITH SEVERE ALLERGIES. I am allergic to peanuts and while I did not encounter any peanuts in my dishes, two people in the party who were allergic to peanuts did have problems. At the Indian restaurant, they talked to their server, the restaurant manager, AND the chef. They were served their appetizers and they have peanuts in them. She bluntly asked the waitress if there were peanuts in the appetizer and she said yes EVEN THOUGH THE WHOLE STAFF WAS WARNED. While they were ok, I would not recommend anyone who has special feed needs to go here.

Beaches

There are two people. The Sunset Cove beach is natural and all water activities are there. Most of the guests were at this beach. There is also the man made beach by the main pool which didn't have that many people occupying it. Perfect place to relax.

Pools

The adult pool was fun for the big group of us and the main pool was nice too. Be warned that the adult pool is top optional.

Hotel Grounds

Very pretty.

Activities

Every night of the trip, we spent the night at the Infinity Bar. They usually have live music playing except on certain nights were they have a DJ. Some nights they have activities like learning how to dance or resort dancers for entertainment. There is the night club which is good for dancing, but rather creepy in how dark it was in there. When you check in you get an activities sheet for things at the pool and at the gym. The problem was some of the activities never happened, especially for the gym. We would got to a class and an employee would say that that class is not available anymore... maybe it should no longer be on the activities sheet then.

Other points

Then staff can be rather unfriendly, especially the women at the front desk. The male employees were always nice. Tips (even a dollar) can go a long way at the resort. Need more towels? Give a dollar and you'll get a lot more. We had a broke hairdryer and no Ipod/Clock in our room... give 2 dollars, get a working hairdryer and an Ipod/Clock.

My friend's destination wedding was AMAZING. It was one of the most beautiful weddings ever and the food was really good! Also, the servers were highly entertaining. The whole day was amazing. Great wedding coordinator too.

Overall, being with a group of friends at this resort was perfect, but I wouldn't go there if you are looking for romance or luxury. It could definitely improve on the service.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Alison,

We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience while at our Resort. Thank you for such a good review. Your opinion is very valued and helpful for us.

We are grateful for your positive comments about the accommodations as our suites are in fact very spacious with an immaculate design.

Referring to the restaurants, I have to apologize for all inconvenience you had during your stay. I want to remark that for the reservations to a la cart restaurants; the first to come is the first to be seated. Only in some specific cases, as you mention in the review, we make a reservation.

For all allergic guests, we have very specific procedures that ensure our guests wellness.
When a guest communicates us its allergy we gave him a card which specifies the type of allergy. Every time you go to eat at any of our restaurants, you get personal attention when you show the card. Our chef is always available and takes especial attention to those guests. We are really looking forward to maintain high quality standards in all moment, so what happened to you it is definitely not our way of working.

I am delighted you enjoyed the pool, the hotel grounds and our activities. Once again please take our apology for all inconvenience and thank you for all positive aspects you mentioned.

Regards,
Marta, Guest Relations

Reviewed June 29, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently travelled to this resort (June 16th-June 20th) and it was a overall fantastic vacation! Upon arrival, we recieved a welcome drink and check in (around 4pm) went smoothly and efficiently with no line up. We got to our suite and the room was very tidy and clean.

I am a pescetarianism and I was disappointed with the amount of seafood dishes they had to offer. I decide to eat meat for the vacation and although the buffet was good, the jerk chicken was amazing! This is located at sunset cove beach area (a must go!)

More about the sunset cove beach area, which we went to more often than the pool because of the jerk chicken and the water activities (kayak, paddleboat, snorkling.) The view is absolutely stunning on that side and although the sand (man-made) is quite rocky, it's very very stunning.

If you decide to stay here, definitely order the banana colada or banana rum (banana liquer and rum cream) I ended up buying it at duty free to make it at home!

2  Thank Beatrice C
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Greetings!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We all had a fantastic time and would love to visit again! All the staff were great but we received incredible service from Mr Laurence at the pool bar, Mr Dawes, our lovely wine host, and most especially, the wonderful Lateisha, our evening server at the buffet. She is a shining example of great staff! Welcoming from day one, she could not do enough for us and made us feel really special. Food in all the restaurants was fabulous and plentiful. Maid service (daily) was great and coffee machine in the room was an added bonus!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Fivestar34

Dear fivestar34,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based off your recent vacation here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated that your vacation with us was a wonderful one in which you were satisfied and enjoyed all that our Resort has to offer to our valued guests.

We welcome you to visit in the near future for another memorable vacation, nothing short of Grand.

Best Wishes.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!