We visited The Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton June 19 to June 25 for our nephew's wedding. We were part of a group of 68 people who traveled from PA to Jamaica for this very special event. The wedding ceremony was beautiful and the scenery at the gazebo overlooking the Caribbean Sea was spectacular! The reception dinner was delicious and the servers were excellent and entertaining. They even joined in dancing and really got things jumping. They were great! The DJ was fantastic; he kept everybody up dancing through the entire evening. It was the place to be that Saturday night, just ask the 30+ other resort guests that crowded the hallway listening and dancing to the music.
Now for the rest of the story:
The grounds, beaches, buildings and rooms at The Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton are really beautiful. But the service leaves much to be desired. This was our 6th trip to Jamaica since 1980; each time we have stayed at a different all-inclusive resort. We have also stayed at all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, The Dominican Republic, etc. This is, by far, our least favorite place. It was obvious that the management has no desire to exceed anybody's expectations. As a matter of fact, in our 6 days at the resort, we never met or even saw any of the resort managers. At every other resort we’ve stayed, managers would greet guest at the restaurants and pools daily and inquire how they were enjoying their stay and if there was anything they could do to make it better. That didn’t happen here.
The bed was extremely firm which is fine with me but the pillows were like flat slabs of concrete. They were the most uncomfortable things I've ever slept on. The resort does offer a solution; you can rent normal pillows for a "reasonable” $3.00 per night. It's hard to have a great time when you can't get a good night's sleep. And it never feels good to be nickeled and dimed for basic things that you just expect at a 5 star resort. Really! I don't have to pay extra for pillows at a Motel 6!
Our travel agent told us that tipping was optional at this resort but we were not prepared to tip everybody that we came in contact with. When we arrived at our room I tipped the bellman for carrying 2 of our 3 bags (he left the other in the golf cart, so I carried it to the room). When I gave him the money he just stood there looking at me for a few seconds before saying "Ya mon", then he left. I guess it wasn’t as much as he expected, but then again I expected him to carry all my bags. If you want service at the swim-up bar you had better come with plenty of cash (US dollars - not Jamaican). The bartenders won't even look at you if you don't have cash in your hand. The same was true at the Infinity bar. The bar at the adult pool was much different, prompt, friendly service without the guilt trip.
Service at the restaurants was very inconsistent. Some of the servers were top notch, some were completely unmotivated and some were absolutely clueless. It was obvious that employee training is not on par with the likes of Sandal's and the other top rank resorts. The meals we had at the Steak House, Jamaican restaurant and Mexican restaurants were very good as well as the service. The meals at the Seafood restaurant were not so good and the service was horrible. The restaurant was less than ½ full yet it took over 40 minutes to get seated. The wait between each course was exceptionally long too. The dinner took over 3 hours.
The resort does not offer room service and the restaurants do not allow you to take any food out of the restaurant area.
When you check in they give each guest a card that can be traded for 1 pool towel. When you return the towel they give your card back to you. If someone steals your towel or if you misplace your towel or card, you will be charged $20.00. This system is stupid! And everyday before noon they run out of clean towels.
Housekeeping was inconsistent, some days we got 2 hand towels, some days we got 1. Sometimes we got face towels, sometimes we didn’t. Sometimes we got a clean bath mat, sometimes we didn’t. Sometimes they filled the refrigerator, sometimes they didn’t. Our room did not have robes or slippers for us to use and it did not have an iron or ironing board. They did not turn down our bed or leave chocolates or mints nor did they have fresh flowers in our room and not even one cute little towel animal! These are all things that we have come to expect at a resort like this.
I think the thing that was most disappointing was the overall attitude of the resort staff. It just did not seem like we were in Jamaica; it was more like Atlantic City, NJ. The staff was just doing their job so they could get paid and if you want a little extra you’re gonna have to tip me … up front. It didn’t seem to matter to them at all if the guests were having a good time or not.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort is bathed by the calm turquoise waters of Jamaica's north coast, in a small bay on a privileged enclave on the coast. The design is a perfect harmony between modernand luxurious facilities of a first class hotel and the attractive natural environment of the area characterized by the turquoise sea and the relief of the landscape. The complexalso houses an ultramodern Spa, which is equipped with the most advanced facilities and offers guests a wide variety of therapies and services. Near the village of Lucea and approximately 30 minutes from Montego Bay and its airport. Within the complex is theGrand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa has a total of 540 guestrooms in 15 villas ofthree levels with 6 Suites and 30 Junior Suites per villa. The Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa has a total of 516 rooms distributed in 13 villas of three levels with 6 suites and 30 Junior Suites per villa and 48 two-story cabins with 4 cabins suites (adults only) each. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort And Spa
- Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Hotel Lucea
- Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa Jamaica/Lucea