“Wonderful Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Montreal, Canada
“Wonderful Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Just arrived back from the GPLH. I have to say after reading the negative reviews that these people are either resort snobs or were not at the same hotel we were! I would rate this resort a solid 4 star to a 4.5 star. There are a lot of stairs and a fair amount of walking due to the size of the resort so if you have mobility issues you may want to take that into consideration.

Upon Arrival, check in was smooth, our room was spacious, clean and in a great location (Villa 37). We had the Transat Imperial Club and recieved our welcome gifts and fruit platter. Our room had 2 robes and slippers and everything worked as it should. Turn down service was lovely, they would even replenish the towels and toiletries at night so you would have fresh for the morning.

Restuarants: The buffet was very good, lots of selection, and everything was hot and well stocked. Especially good breakfasts, with lots of mimosas.
Be sure to make reservations for Bubba's Steakhouse. This restuarant was extremely popular and in my opinion the best on the property. We ate there twice, and I had Filet Mignon twice. It was some of the best Filet I have ever had, tender, juicy and cooked to perfection.
The Lotus was good too, great presentation and nice to have an asian restuarant that was not a Hibachi grill setting. The night we were there, they had no Sake, and our waiter was having an off night. The Indian restuarant was very tasty and they served the food in little pails with warmers. Very cute presentation. Had great service here, our waitress anticipated our every need. I would recommend trying even if you don't really know much about Indian food.
The Jerk hut had great chicken, tender, juicy and spicy.

Visit the Miss Lou Bar. Great service and they serve the top shelf liquors there. They did run out of Gran Marnier and Southern Comfort while we were there, but there were other yummy things to choose from.

Spa: The pool was drained and refilled while we were there. They actually have a jacuzzi that is "hot" along with a medium temperature one and a cool one. These services are all included so be sure to visit.

Beaches: Not long walking beaches for sure. The sand is not white powder, but it was fine. There are 4 distinct beaches. Some are more private than others, and some are better for laying out at. Tim found the snorkeling at Coral beach to be the best on resort, especially if you swim out a ways. The water was very calm, and easy to swim in.

Service: We found the Jamaican people to be very friendly and give good service. They always spoke to us and asked how our vacation was. I asked for a few particulars for our room, such as cushions for our patio chairs and an extra blanket and they were taken care of promptly with a smile. We needed to change our dinner reservations a couple of times and that was handled smoothly and efficiently as well.

We found the resort to be very pretty and kept up well. I had read some reviews about infestation by cats, I will tell you that we saw 3 cats, each one at a separate time and there was NO infestation. I also had read about problems with sand fleas at the beach, and did not encounter any of those either. I

The only negative experience I had was when booking our excursions with the Transat reps. They were not very organized and booked the wrong excursion for us. When I pointed that out, they argued with me and said I must be mistaken and go ask my husband, which I proceeded to do. I was not mistaken. When I went to book an additional tour, I was told that one was not available. When I pointed out that his partner had told us the day before it was available, he said again, we were mistaken. I mentioned to Tim that they should get more organized and he overheard and proceeded to argue with me about how things do not go smooth in Jamaica. Is it not a tour reps job to ensure that things go smoothly? This was a source of irritation, but I did NOT let it ruin my stay in what can only be described as Paradise!

Room Tip: Villa 37, room 3725 had a nice view of the ocean, had no musty smell, and was very clean. Close to...
4 Thank Shelley P
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Shelley P,

We are happy to read about the wonderful vacation you have had here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. As a 5 Star Resort, we work assiduously to ensure that our guests have a memorable stay.

We are glad that you loved the luxurious layout of your suite, paired with just the right amenities, we trust that you felt right at home. It is great that you enjoyed the beverage options and all the different cuisines which were offered at both the buffet and the various a la carte restaurants which you tried. You not only enjoyed the delicious meals but also the dining experience had at each.

Again we are happy that the service which you received from our staff while here met your expectations and that you were always taken care of. It is also great that you enjoyed the facilities by our Zentropia Spa.

How unfortunate the service which was provided by your tour representative, it would have been great if you had gotten to go out on excursions to see more of this beautiful island.

We would be grateful to be given the opportunity to host you again in the future as it was our pleasure having both you and your husband with us. Until then, best wishes from our Palladium family!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,357)
  • Polish first
Norfolk, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Having spent a week last Aug at the Palladium White Sands in Mexico I was excited to visit another one of the Palladium properties. While the White Sands was a "WOW!" this resort was a solid "Meh."
The staff were wonderful. We enjoyed talking with the people and exploring Jamaica. Here is where I think the resort can improve:
Pools: the adult pools were dirty when we tried them. The large main pool was fine. They seemed to be making more of an effort to keep that one clean.
Spa: We attempted to use the free water area- one pool was closed. the lazy river was filthy. I got a little ways down the river and turned right around. It was gross- filled with a scum of some kind. Other small pools were ok. The gym was not great. a few machines not working properly. Husband called for someone to fix the bike and nobody could fix it.
Rooms: We had a one bedroom suite. It was fine and just adequately clean. Only one robe in our room. not sure it this is standard. The lower part of the sleeper sofa was covered in spots of mold/mildew. We managed because we brought a small air mattres for my son to place over the sheets that covered the black spots. I would have been really bothered by this sleeping arrangement if I didn't have that mattress.
Food: Everyone has different tastes. We thought was fine but nothing that I would rave about in any of the several places we tried on site.
The entire resort just feels a little tired and in need of a bit of a facelift. Walkways were cracked and broken. Paint was chipped. Beach needed a good cleaning and the chairs could really be replaced. In fact there were a lot of chairs with no covers. It just gave off a vibe of being uncared for - not what one would hope for from a resort.
It was an average experience - not bad- and we did make the best of it. Jamaica is a beautiful place and the people are a treasure.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank funny_travels
FiestaJamaica, Santiago Escañuela, guest services at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Funny_Travels,

Thank you very much to share with us your overall opinion about our Resort. We are really apologize about the situation of the Spa, we had to close one of the pools because we did a little change to improve our facilities and services. As well, we want let you know that we have a daily clean pool program and normally works perfectly but it seems that is not all days. Thank you very much for this advice we are going to check every day to resolve that problem in the future.

We were happy to have you with us and we look forward to your future visit. Please do not hesitate in contacting us if there is anything that we can do from this end.

Best wishes
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

My wife and I had a vacation plan to go to puerto plata but our flight was cancelled due to a storm on feb 8/13. Our travel agent worked hard to find was a new vacation and she found us a trip to Jamaica at the Grand Palladium Jamaica . It is a large resort and there is a lot of walking but the guys driving the carts will give you a ride anywhere you would like to go, which was helpful to go to the jerk hut . Everyone of the employees were very helpful and friendly - from the bartenders to the cleaning ladies. I really liked that you didn't have to get reservations for the a la cartes - first come, first served. My wife and I had a great time in Jamaica the people were friendly wherever we went. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable if you like a hard bed. We went there from feb 11/13 to feb18/13. I keep reading on reviews about watered down drinks at resorts. This is NOT the case at this one. Drinks were good, just ask my wife.

Room Tip: Try to stay in 1100 villa - closer to everything . Take good walking shoes and water shoes
5 Thank Al_Dee_McC
Greetings!

Thank you Al_Dee_McC for taking the time to share your comments based off your recent vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. Firstly we are happy that we were chosen as your vacation destination. We appreciate your positive comments about our staff as they are indeed friendly and hard working. We are pleased that you have had a memorable stay with us. We invite you to visit again in the near future as it was our pleasure hosting you.

Best Wishes.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Amazing place to relax and enjoy. You don't need to go anywhere else. Everything is right on the property! We stayed in a junior suite that was beautiful and spacious. There are over 500 rooms on property that are either suites or junior suites. They have an area for kids and another area for adults only. The adult area has a pool and beach that allows topless bathing as well. There are 3 buffet restaurants, and 7 a la carte restaurants. There is a casino, shops and spectacular views. this all inclusive resort is amazing and the staff was absolutely the best. The only complaint was the Internet connection, but we would stay he every time we come back. We've been in Jamaica 3 times in 5 months and love it! The Jamaican people are SO friendly, and appreciative.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
13 Thank DebArtist
FiestaJamaica, Manager at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear DebArtist,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review based on your recent vacation spent here at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton. We are elated to know that you have enjoyed your vacation and also that you have made memorable experiences. As a 5 star Resort, we pride ourselves in the level of service that we offer to our valued guests. It is great that you loved the accommodations, the meals and our friendly staff. We would love to host you again in the near future as it was our pleasure having you with us on this stay. Until then, best wishes from our Palladium family!
Sask., Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

This review is from a few years ago. I am shocked at reading these reviews. We didn't have any bad experiences with this place. It was an amazing hotel. We loved the food. The beaches were amazing. The beds were a little hard. Our shower wasn't the best. At night I have no idea what was making noises but I think it was crickets. They were so loud it was ridiculous. After night 2 we learnt to ignore it. Our kids loved it. They were 12 and 16 at the time. They are picking eaters and always found something to eat. The jerk chicken was everyones favorite. The views are beautiful. We found the staff to be friendly. Clean hotel and grounds. We would definitely recommend it to friends and family. This was Feb. 2010 so maybe it has changed since then. i hope not.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank PMichelleL
Greetings PatriceML,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review. We are grateful for your positive comments and pleased to know that it was a memorable family vacation. We apologize for the minor inconveniences which you had experienced but happy that you did not allow them to affect a truly amazing stay. We welcome you and your family to visit us as we are sure that you will be more than pleased with the changes and improvement in various areas that have been made since your last visit. It was our pleasure hosting you then and we look forward to your future visit. Until then, best wishes from our Palladium family!
St. Thomas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We booked 4(four) nights at the recommendation of my cousin, who stayed at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort and Spa. "NEED" I say coming from a boutique hotel experience in "Kingston at the Strawberry Hills," to this experience was heartbreaking all inclusive resort is beyond!!! our cries.

First of all the hotel is Massive with no elevators. The set up of the hotel is that Grand Lady Palladium is the adult side. Every floor has a room at ground level and upper level.When we checked in " We" were placed at the upper level.

When we entered the room it stunk of "MILDEW". We called the housekeepers who were at the time on our floor and told them that the room stunk. The housekeeper then sprayed the room with a disinfectant and claimed that it has been raining in Montego Bay and this is where the smell steams from.

We waited for about half an hour then called the front desk to report the stench of the room. They moved us into another room close to beach and their was a stench as well. The most horrible experience was when I had to shower in the bathroom with my slippers on because there was black marks on the tiles in the bathroom. On the second day I couldn't take it anymore and called the front desk and explained the poor treatment "We" were receiving. They send us the housekeeping crew who apologized and scrapped all the black marks from the tiles in the shower.

We learned later on that the rooms we were placed in at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort was closed for months. A great disappointment for us. If you are booking this hotel please bear in mind it is very massive and remember to ask for a room that is always in circulation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lafoi
East Meadow, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Overview: We were there from 2/11/13 – 2/16/13. This hotel provides good value but there are various items to be noted. The hotel is about 45 minutes from the airport. I booked Grand Palladium because I was attracted to the villas. I wanted something more than the usual hotel room with a likely side ocean view. Be prepared to do a ton of walking. This facility is huge. It is a long walk from the villas to the main area with the restaurants. You can call the main desk and have a golf cart pick you up.

The Villa: The villa was excellent. Our villa was ocean front and only about twenty yards from the beach (get back to the beach later). We were in the third villa (#3032). Other villas to the left are further away from the beach and do not have direct access. It had a very large bathroom with a double size Jacuzzi. The "Mayan" shower is weird. It is partially outdoors; meaning that above the shower, the ceiling is half open to the sky. When showering, you can see the stars; get sunshine or rain, as did happen. There is no shower head. The water comes out of a lion's head with stream like a garden hose. Takes a bit to get used to but is OK. The patio is very nice to just hang out and see and listen to the ocean. It is very nice when waking up to sit up in bed and see the ocean. Right outside our patio is the wedding site and we saw a couple of weddings.
The Beaches: There are three beach areas, none of which have the white sand. The sand is a bit gravelly. The Sunset Cove beach is the best one if you want to do the water activities such as kayak, catamaran, peddle boat or snorkel. While most hotels will have Jet Ski for an additional fee, here they do not have Jet Ski. No waiter service for drinks or food at the beach.
The Pools: The main pool is gigantic and very nice although we did not use it. Near the villas, there is a small adult only pool which is fine. The Jacuzzi area in this pool was not working. No waiter service for drinks or food at the beach.

The Food: The food was OK but somewhat disappointing. This was the first time I ever did an all-inclusive so I cannot make an accurate comparison. When we were at Negril (see below), I was talking to some folks who were staying at the RIU in Negril. It sure sounded like a very different menu. They had lobster. The breakfast buffets were good with the usual fare. Two minor issues were that the desserts were basically squares of pound cake. Sometimes there were good chocolate croissants but no mini Danish or things like that. While there was lox and cream cheese there were no bagels. For dinner, the menus at the a la carte restaurants were very limited. For example, at the Italian restaurant, the only chicken dish was chicken parmagean. There were no other chicken dishes and no veal dishes. There was one shrimp dish with risotto which was excellent and the lasagna was excellent. At the Sunset Cove beach, there is the Jerk Hut which was terrific for lunch with Jerk Chicken (sauces very hot) and seafood paella. The steakhouse (Bubba’s) is the best of the restaurants. The filet mignon was good enough but the grilled lamb chops were excellent.

Bathrooms: All bathrooms, including by the restaurants and the pools were beautiful with granite countertops and were immaculate.

Excursions: We did two using Jamaica Tour Lines (JTL) located on the lobby. One to Negril which was from Noon to 7:30.OK but that is where I got to do Jet Ski. We spent two hours at the beach, then 1.5 hours at a shopping place (really nothing to buy other than tee shirts) then to Rick’s Café to see the cliff divers and a sunset. No sunset for us as it was overcast. The second trip was to Dunn’s River Falls. Although it is a long drive; about two hours each way, this was fun. We left the hotel at 7:30 and got back around 3:30.

Bottom Line: The package (air + hotel) cost $3,200 with no airport transfers. I am not sure but I suppose if I wanted all of the amenities, a package in the $4,000+ range would have done it. Next time, I think I will use the services of a travel agent. While booking through an online service may be the most economical, I think that a good travel agent would provide a valuable service in terms of overall guidance as well as making arrangements for transfers and excursions.

4 Thank Lloyd H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,849 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!