“Good, but room for improvement - depends on what you're looking for!”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed January 19, 2013

In general, we would recommend it for some, and not for others. If you're looking for amazing food and outstanding rooms, then do not come here. If you're looking to snorkel, kayak, drink, and lounge, then it's worth a shot.

We went on our honeymoon here. It was a bit disappointing that they really do nothing special for honeymooners as advertised. We were supposed to get a room upgrade, and did not. Of course they say it's up to availability, but the place was in no way full - and that was obvious. The front desk person even wanted to charge an extra $60/night for a seaview (What?! Where's that in the fine print!? No...). Prior to arrival, we requested 3rd floor, seaview, upgraded and they had us slated for 1st floor, non-upgraded room without a seaview. HUH!? Long story short, we got a seaview room on the 3rd floor in a room that was not upgraded after a bit of a fight... of course they didn't tell me that they didn't give us the upgrade and we didn't know until we got to the room. We had a lot of choices when looking for a honeymoon spot, and incentives were not fufilled. It shouldn't be a fight - the room was obviously there, and I'm pretty sure there was an upgraded one probably available too, but they were looking for people to sucker into paying for an upgrade, and that's not right. INSIST on a seaview and do not pay extra for it. We would have been highly disappointed if we had to look at another building's balconys when we went out onto our own. The sunsets are where it's at!

Anyhow... the place is beautiful ...and HUGE. Some rooms are much father away from the action than others, so make sure to bring comfortable shoes/flops!

ROOMS - They were OK - have stayed in better at all-inclusives. Our bed was comfortable for us. They are a certified eco-friendly hotel... so when you leave the room with all of your hotel keys... the power goes off in the room. This system is slightly flawed however. If it's super hot, then you're coming back to a very hot room that takes awhile to get back to normal. Another flaw is that it seemed that the refrigerator ALSO shuts down... so the beer in the room is never really cold until the next morning. We left the key in when at dinner so we would be able to go to bed when we got back. The bathroom was alright - shower head was messed up for us, but not a huge deal. Large tub in the bathroom that we didn't end up using. We utilized the safe with no worries. The balcony is great and had wonderful sunsets even though we were set back some in bldg 35.

WATERSPORTS - We thought this was probably the best part of the resort! The snorkeling is FANTASTIC!!! There are reefs right off the beach! We snorkeled everyday! Rental of snorkel equipment is free; however, you must give them a refundable $25 deposit when checking it out. If you're into snorkeling, bring your own mask/snorkel/fins. They do not supply fins (I wish I would have brought my own... though be careful, the reef is very shallow on the left in Sunset Cove!). They did run out of snorkels and my husband had to wait for one to return when it was busy. There are lots of coral, many types of fishes (including pufferfish, cuttlefish, as well as lionfish which are highly poisionous so be careful and stay away from them!), stingrays, sea urchins, and anemones. Bring an underwater camera and enjoy! We went kayaking, which was fun! We also went out on the catamarans... they have small catamarans that fit 4-6 ppl that they teach you how to take out. The guys who work down there will charge you $20 for a lesson - afterwhich you can go out as much as you want. It was fun, harder than it looked, but definitely a good time. They also have paddleboats to use for free. There is diving out of there, which they quoted $100 if you aren't certified and $70 if you are (includes equipment). We didn't go - they were working on their dive boat. They go close to offshore on the dive trips, and the watersports guy told me they usually only go down 30-50ft. Snorkeling is also decent off of Coral beach (you can swim from there to Sunset Cove!).

FOOD - was just OK. Some meals were better than others, as may be expected. Breakfast was alright - omelets are made to order, which is yummy! Fresh juices, breads that you can toast, and awesome hashbrown triangles (our favorite!). Sometimes the food just wasn't too hot. Our only complaint from breakfast was the service. On a few mornings, we finished eating our breakfast before we ever got our coffee or tea... and some mornings we were in a rush because we were heading for excursions. Lunches were fine - they buffet resteraunts are open as well as an a la carte lunch at Poseidon. There is also the famous Jerk Chicken at the Hut on Sunset Cove beach... they also served paella, which was OK. We ate dinner at a different restaurant each night (6 nights... and there are 7 restaurants... we did not eat at Bubba's Steakhouse which had the longest waits). Most of the food was decent.. nothing to write home about. Our favorite was the Jamaican restaurant - my husband LOVED the steak there and I enjoyed my snapper. Our least favorite was the Asian. The sports bar is supposedly open 24 hours, and one night we had a little too much to drink and there was nachos there! :)

DRINKS - they were great. The bartenders do NOT skimp on the alcohol! We actually had to tell them to go easy on the liquor when ordering drinks! ***BIG TIP!*** Bring your own reusable cup or bubba keg with you! They sell them in the giftshop for $12 (plus the insane 16% tax) if you forget. This is a must do - it will save trips to the bar and keeps your drink from melting in the Jamaican sun too quickly!! Take them on your excursions with you as well - the bartenders on the boat will fill them up for you!!

EXCURSIONS (general) I was a little suprised that there weren't more offerings. However, we did go on 2. Know that the location of this resort is remote. It is in a small fishing town (Lucea, pronounced Lucy) that is located between Montego Bay and Negril. This jacks up the prices because of the cost of travel. We wanted to go to Rick's Cafe for the reknowned sunset, but we didn't go because it required taht you also go shopping and took 1/2 a day! You leave at 12 and come back after sunset.... and we hate shopping. This only costs $12, and if you're a shopper - it may be worth it to ya to use the time. Plus, we weretold that the prices at Rick's Cafe were a bit on the high side for food/beverage. We asked the taxi service at the front how much a cab ride would be to just go see the sunset...and they said $80USD!!!! WHAT!?! Anyhow...

DREAMER EXCURSION - which is a large catamaran party boat cruise that goes snorkeling. We had a great time. Saw lots of coral, fishes, and an eagle ray! We ONLY got 45 minutes of snorkel time though.. (when we booked it, we were told we'd get an hour..) and that was my ownly complaint. The crew was cool, drinks were flowing... and the girls get a foot massage on their way back. There was a photographer on board that took photos and sold cds of your pics... just know, you can negotiate price. After we snorkeled, we headed over to Margaritaville Montego Bay, where we had access to the waterslide, ocean trampolines, slides, etc. which was neat. Overall, we'd recommend this trip. We paid $80 per person from Lady Hamilton.

COOL RUNNINGS EXCURSION - This was our last excursion and we went on it the day before we left (kinda wish we would have done it a little earlier in the week though so there was some rest!) We left at 8:30am and headed to a bit past Montego Bay to pick up other travelers. We got stuck in a massive traffic snarl, which was unfortunate, but noone's fault but the fuel truck driver that tipped over. Anyhow... it took almost 3 hours to get to our destination. Then we got a lunch at the beach, which included jerk chicken, cole slaw, rice, and rolls... as well as soda, water, and juice. Then you hang out by the beach where people are selling things and dancing for money and there is a small bar. There is no alcohol on this trip until after the watersports... which we thought was a bummer at first. They packed us onto a huge catamaran like sardines, offered juices and water, and we went snorkeling. This snorkeling was even shorter and not quite as good, and required that everyone wear either a lifejacket/belt... ugh hate wearing those things. Then we headed to Dunn's River Falls.... and THEN when I was about 25% up the 960ft climb up the slippery rocks of the waterfall, I realized why it was a "dry" cruise up to that point! Anyone drunk on that waterfall would have killed themselves! It was a good time going up, and challenging at some points! Beautiful. Then we headed back down to the catamaran where we were constantly asked for money and to buy things, but we just got back onto the boat to start "Phase 3" - the party! Drinks were plentiful and we sailed around for awhile, dancing. It was a great time. Then... we headed back to the hotel... which took another 3 hours. NO idea why... should not have, considering there wasa no traffic. They made us stop at a gas station to use the bathroom (even though we had only just left maybe 30 mins prior) and so people bought things there (I'm pretty sure they made some kind of deal with those people) and a child begged for money... then we stopped on the side of the road AGAIN before making it there for people to use the bathroom on the side of the road... haha Guess too many drinks were had. This excursion was fun, just wish the ride time wasn't so long!! We paid $116 per person for this trip... I'd recommend the Dreamer cruise more if you can only do one...

ENTERTAINMENT - We went to 3 or 4 shows, and they were disappointing and always started late. I mean really late. The program booklet we received said the shows were to start at 9pm.. but they never started untill at least 9:45. Just know that before you sit there!! The entertainment staff were very nice, and no disrespect, but the shows were just nothing great. AND for those with kids, they are *NOT* appropriate for children - they're a bit raunchy, mon.

SPA We didn't use any of the paid services at the spa, but do recommend going by there to relax in the hot tub and massage jet tubs - was great! Have them take you around to describe the different features to you! I was really sore and this was a great find!

TIPS
****BRING YOUR OWN INSULATED CUP FOR DRINKS! They will fill it up for you, and your drink will last much longer than the small 4oz plastic cups that aren't enviro-friendly. Bring this with you on excursions as well - they will fill them up for you! :)

****Bring your own snorkeling gear, if that's your thing.

****INSIST on a seaview!

****Try a cappucino with rum cream :)

****Bring comfy shoes/flip flops!

Room Tip: MUST have a seaview to see the beautiful sunsets while getting ready for dinner! 3rd floor is great...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
18  Thank ERIN H
FiestaJamaica, Assistant Food & Beverage Director at Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Erin H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. As you mentioned, upgrades are up to availability. We always try to accommodate our honeymooners doing our best. At the same time we place special amenities for them in their rooms. I am glad to hear that you had fun snorkeling at our beach and I realized you also tried the other water sport activities that we have such as catamaran and kayaking. It appears you had a fantastic time and we are very excited about it.

Many thanks. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Best wishes,

Victor Caride
Assistant Food & Beverage Director

There are newer reviews for Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed from Jan 11th to the 18th. About a 30 min ride from Montego Bay airport. We arrived to rum drinks and a friendly welcome. We were checked into villa 27 which was a good villa that was close to the main building and to the beaches and pools. Our room was spacious and nice with only one problem of a few tiny ants in the bathroom. We let the front desk know and they offered us another room though we chose to let them clean it up and after a day or two they disappeared.
The grounds are huge but not to bad for walking to various places, no mini buses were ever needed to get anywhere. The resort is beautiful and well maintained with bars everywhere so getting a cold drink was never a problem.
They have 9 ala cartes that you can make reservations for or just walk up and get a table. The only place that had any type of wait was Bubba's Steak House which is worth the wait. The food at the GPLH was the best I've ever had at an all inclusive and never once had a bad meal. The Jerk Hut on th beach is as good as everyone says it is and the Sports bar was a great place for a snack.
Now about the three beaches. If you love long walks on the beach with waves rolling in and white sand this is not the place for you. We did a day trip to 7 mile beach in Nigrel and got that for a day which was very nice. What the GPLH has are coves and we found the adult cove the best and the snokeling was amazing. Now about water shoes which is a big topic in most reviews I've read. WATER SHOES ARE A MUST. The coves are sandy and you don't need to wear them all the time but to not bring any is just asking for a cut on the foot and if you want to climb dunns rivers falls they are manditory anyway. I actually really enjoyed the coves and the peace and quite was a nice change from the usual busy resort beaches. The adult cove and pool was a great place to spend the day sipping on cold drinks and meeting great people.
The huge main swimming pool was a nice place to hang out at too though we chose to spend our time at the coves. The main pool played music (not to loud) and the swim up bar was nice with a great staff. Alex the bartender was very friendly and made tasty drinks. After being sunburnt on the first day we spent our second day at the spa and found it a great relaxing place to swim and sooth our sun burns.
The staff at the GPLH was very friendly and always ready to help you with whatever you needed. Make sure you bring alot of dollar bills for tipping cause your going to need them for pretty much anything you do.
We did two day trips, the first was to 7 mile beach and to Ricks Cafe to jump the cliff (do the jump it was amazing) and watch the sunset. Our second trip was to Dunns River Falls and did the climb and it was amazing experience as well and highly recommend both trips.
Finally I'll comment on some negatives which there were only a few. First the tiny ants in our bathroom was a bit of a letdown and the mini bar in our room only had Red Stripe and no liquor which was a problem because my gf doesn't like beer and we couldn't enjoy a drink together in our room. Secondly I got a little sick and tired of feeling I needed to tip for everything I did and can get a little expensive by the end of the week. Other than that the place is amazing and I would recommend it to anyone and I would go back.

Room Tip: All the Villas are good ecept 39 and 40 which seem like they are far from everything and would make...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
13  Thank Michael M

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your review. We are grateful for your positive comments about the facilities and I am glad to hear that you had fun. I want to extend a special thank you for recognizing the staff members and the work they perform every day. I would like to apologize for the inconveniences experienced with the ants, I want to inform you that we have a pest control programm in place to avoid this kind of things.

We welcome your visit in the near future as we will be more than happy to host you once more.

Until Then, best wishes

Victor Caride
Assistant Food & Beverage Director

Reviewed January 18, 2013

check in was quick, room (villa) very very nice, food was great, entertainment very good, drinks great and lots of them, beaches are very small and lots of rocks, so you can't walk the beach, but the pools are amazing, the lobbies are gorgeous, great people, jerk chicken at the beach was delicious, weather perfect, only one cloudy day which was probably good to get out of the sun for a bit, free wifi in both lobbies, casino has alot of winners (nothing big, but lots of winners), lots of stairs everywhere, so not so good for strollers or people who cannot do stairs, there are elevators i think...and ramps, but they are out of the way a bit, buffet has something different everyday....

Room Tip: 2nd floor is better (or third) so you can see the ocean... the lower levels have alot of beautiful g...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank beginning
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I went to this resort in mid october witch had amazing weather all week nothing bad I can say at all room and resort and beach was clean one thing I loved was on site snorkeling in the coral beach not sure if they provide snorkeling gear as I brought my own had soo many fish and if u bring bread or banana they will come right up to u and take it from your hand main beach was clean and clear never had a issue finding a chair to soak in that Jamaican sun the service at this resort was amazing as well very friendly staff. My maid was super sweet one down fall I would say of the resort had a lot of locals I'm not sure if it was a wedding but for 2 days you could not go near the beach with the jerk hut (witch was amazing a must to try ) full of locals like they where the only ones there and travelers like me where not welcome and made that clear when they look at u as you walk by as if u have 2 heads and then for 3 days they where there fri sat sun that would be the only thing bad to say about this resort a lot of locals buffet was amazing everyday I went restaurants where good as well one thing you must try while in Jamaica duns river falls I did 7 excursions and the best by far the catamaran party with snorkeling was amazing as well YS falls was really nice as well careful rocks in water you can't see I got a huge cut on my leg scar for life (water was soo cold) and the black river with the crocodiles was cool not a must. Pool was huge and clean loved the built in chairs all in all would most defiantly go back here again planning another one in new years will see where I shall go if not here again

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank cindy m
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Just returned from The Grand Palladium today (17th Jan 2013) our experience of a group of four as follows:-

Upon arrival we had booked rooms close or next to one another only to be told we were to be in seperate blocks. This was immediately addressed and rectified to have us next to one another the rooms given were 2921 and 2922 which turned out to be well appreciated...THANKYOU..

Loved the location and the splendour of the layout....THANKYOU..
We found the restaurant staff and bar staff very polite and friendly...THANKYOU...

The food was plentiful and the Restaurants acceptable...some better than others but there again everyone has different tastes...THANKYOU

The Adult pool which we used daily except on excursion days was well used but did get rather annoying from OUR COUSINS across the pond who tend to be noisy and not able to hold their liquor.,, well they are on holiday and certainly made the most of it....but overall we did enjoy it ...THANKYOU...

One of our party was overcome with sunstroke...his fault entirely....but seeking the help of a Doctor cost him dearly $180 plus another $30 for the Doctors services...then to be given a five day course of antibiotics???? along with a small tube of anti-septic for a cut due to his fall with an added cost of another $90....beware to take any such medication/creams/lotions with you so not to incur such a cost.....NO THANKYOU....

As with previous comments we did hear of thefts taken place at the resort and the accused being staff....NO THANKYOU.....

Ground staff (Gardeners) target any one from the range of 16 up to 40 in order for the holiday makers to buy weed/marijauna from them....this is a most definite and not based on hearsay...so please be warned if you are taking your teenage children with you....VERY BAD,

Upon arrival we had a very rude Bell Boy by which he asked for tips and only to be paid in Dollars..Guess the £5 was not appreciated by him after all?...then on leaving had the same guy who entered our rooms on our leaving and was picking up and asking for anything he thought was being left..well at least things went to a good home but the forwardness of him beggars belief..and not to mention asking for his tips again....this I was not aware of until away from the Hotel so as not to finger point or get him into trouble...if we find we have good service then a tip is always there...my Female partner felt very intimidated by this guy.....NAUGHTY BOY...

Overall many positives that make a good holiday but a few minor negatives set to disappoint..My partner and I would certainly go back to this Hotel in the future and would be more "on the ball" with the Bell Boys" especially....THANKYOU.

Room Tip: Adult pool bar rooms 2921 2922 we found ideal.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank 2TravellingGeordies
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was my 2nd visit to the resort and once again it was wonderful.
We went for one week over New Year and the weather was fantastic.
I looked forward to the Jamaican food at the buffet every day, it was such a treat.
The New Year event was nicer this year than last. I noticed the entertainment offered this year got stepped up for the better. The staff around the entire property are pleasant.
The resort is large but never feels crowded. There's never a line-up at the buffet which is unsual for a resort which makes it so relaxing. This is the resort for me whenever I visit Jamaica!
The management ought to be commended for the wonderful job keeping the resort looking fresh and not run down. You see workers painting and looking after the grounds which is wonderful to see.
Great Job to all at Palladium!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice but we stayed 2x in a 1 bedroom suite overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank denise105
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Excellent food in the buffet and at the various speciality restaurants, the staff always had a very happy. Bedroom was large, well decorated as was the bathroom with a large Jacuzzi bath and walk in shower. Will return.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank tman19555
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!