“Had A Terrific Time”

Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lucea
Reviewed February 12, 2012

The resort itself is divided into two parts; the Jamaica side and the Lady Hamilton side, with most of the restaurants and amenities on the Lady Hamilton side. The resort is on the large side, but not so gigantic you can't walk it. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained, and we found all the staff from the front desk, to restaurants, bars and at the pools to be exceedingly friendly and always happy to answer questions.

Accommodations:
Our villa on the Lady Hamilton side was very clean and spacious and everything we expected and more. The wall mounted flat screen TV gets all the American channels (not that we watched any TV), there was a large desk, a table with chairs and a couch and coffee table. In the bathroom, there were two large vanities (each with a sink), the oversize Jacuzzi tub was a nice feature, and the outdoor shower was very cool. The walk in closet had lots of hangers and shelves, and a safe. The room also had a decent sized patio furnished with two lounge chairs, two chairs and a table, but the best part was the incredible view of the ocean, and that we weren't more than a hundred feet from the beach. The bed was a little "springy" for my liking, but better than most of the rock hard beds you find elsewhere in the Caribbean. The mini bar was restocked daily, and if we ever wanted a little extra, a few dollars and a polite note asking for extra beer and water always did the trick.

It is true that a card key must be inserted in a slot for the power and air conditioning to turn on, and that the air conditioning will turn off if the patio door or door to the outdoor shower is left open, but we never had an issue with the air conditioning cooling the room down quickly after returning to the room at the end of the day or after sitting on the patio for an extended period of time.

Restaurants:
The breakfast buffet is in the MoBay restaurant until 10:30 AM, and then continues in the Blue Lagoon restaurant until 11:45 AM. We preferred waiting for a later breakfast as you can eat outside at the Blue Lagoon restaurant. Though pretty much the same options every day, there was enough variety that you didn't have the eat the same stuff every morning if you didn't want to.

For lunches, Poseidon's Sunset Cove overlooking the Sunset Cove beach was good, but our favorite place for lunch was the Jerk Hut, also at Sunset Cove Beach.

When it came to dinners, as far as resorts go we were really impressed with the quality, variety and flavor of the food. We've never gone to an all inclusive resort with any expectation of having really great food, but we left here really pleased. A bit of a bonus is that the ala carte restaurants do not require reservations and are on a first come, first serve basis. For the week we were here, we never had to wait more than a couple minutes to be seated (other than at Bubba's Grill where the wait was about 45 minutes, but with a bar right there, the wait wasn't painful). Also note that men are required to wear long pants at the ala carte restaurants, but jeans are acceptable.

We only ate dinner once at the MoBay buffet and though edible, even by all inclusive buffet standards the MoBay restaurant was average at best. The Lotus Asian, Bhogali Indian, Bubba's Grill house and Italian restaurants were all really good, but our hands down favorite was the Xaymaica Creole restaurant, which was exceedingly good. The salad bar was excellent and the dishes on the menu that we tried were very flavorful. A special thank you to a young man named Ashdale who took care of us that night, as he was very charming, funny and attentive.

Wine Warning: If you are a wine snob (I'm not, but my wife is), unless you want to buy something off the wine list in a restaurant, or at inflated prices from the on-sight liquor store, there is only one type available "all inclusive"; a "Don Simon" white or red. Having pronounced nothing could be worse than the swill in Punta Cana last year, my wife has determined the wine here (white and red) "is just as bad". No problem with the other drinks though...

Beaches & Pools:
The main "infinity" pool was very nice. It was large, cleaned regularly, and had plenty of chairs both shaded and in the sun. It was nice to not have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a chair as there were always lots available (though I don't know if that would be the case going during a busy week like Christmas or Easter). Next to the pool there was beach volleyball and all kinds of activities during the if you wished to partake.

The adult only Coral pool was small, but there were plenty of chairs there, some with great views overlooking Coral Beach. While there is no wait service at this pool (or any of the pools), the bar was not too far away regardless of where you were sitting.

The resort is built on an isthmus, so there are four beaches.

The main Las Brias beach on the Lady Hamilton side of the resort is a narrow strip of semi-course sand with a breaker about 300 feet out in the water. Even with the breaker, the water was quite rough most days we were here. It's a little rocky in the water, so unless you are wearing water shoes it is not a pleasant experience. As a consequence, we only tried this beach once, and it was rare to see anyone in the water at this beach (and I can say that because our room overlooked this beach).

There was also a small area identified as Gully beach, but I'm not even sure how you could call this a beach. It was exceptionally rocky both on the shore and in the water.

Coral beach is the "adult only" beach. The beach area itself is small and at first was a bit disappointing. But for a place to soak up some sun and listen to the waves, we found ourselves coming to this beach for every day because it was quiet and sheltered from the wind, and it ended up being our favorite spot by the end of the trip. With no bar directly on the beach, you had to walk up a flight of stairs to the pool area to get a drink which wasn't overly convenient, but somehow you get used to doing that too after a couple days.

But all was not lost as far as good swimming beaches go. Easily the best beach of the bunch is the Sunset Cove beach, as it has the nicest sand (though it could be raked once in a while), the most sheltered from the wind, the calmest water for swimming, and there is no need to wear water shoes, as it is a sandy bottom in the water. As a result, this is where everyone came to swim. The only knock is that there is no bar that is actually on the beach...like the Coral beach, you need to walk up a flight of stairs and then down a pathway to Poseidon's to actually get a drink.

Perhaps a nit-picky point is the plastic cups used at the pool and beach bars have to be some of the smallest I've ever seen at a resort. After a couple days we ended up buying travel mugs in one of the gift shops just to cut down on the number of times you had to go back to the bar. The resort is serving recognizable brand names (Smirnoff vodka, Gordon's London Dry Gin, Johnny Walker Red scotch, etc.), and I have no issue with the variety or strength of drinks available, just the serving sizes.

Bars:
Other than at the pools/beaches and restaurants, there were 4 other bars.

The Infinity Bar overlooking the Infinity pool, is the main bar and was a pleasant open air place to have a cappuccino in the morning or drinks in the evening, with plenty of tables and smiling, friendly servers. In the evenings there was also live music which was mostly enjoyable.

Miss Lou's next to the Infinity bar is a more intimate place where you can enjoy coffee or premium liquors, and on three nights a week there is live jazz, and was also a really enjoyable place to hang out.

The Sports Bar is the only place serving food all night so was good for getting some snack food whenever you wanted, but was probably the deadest spot on the resort just to sit and have a drink (and from 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM the only booze served is Red Stripe draft beer).

The Boogie Woogie disco is open from 11:30 PM until 2:00 AM. We went one night but didn't stay long as the music wasn't really our thing. The only tip is the disco is the only place serving hard liquor past midnight, so you can go in, get your drinks, and then sit in the lobby next to the theatre.

Nightly Entertainment:
There are nightly shows in the theatre that begin at 9:30 PM and run about an hour. The shows we saw were all dance based. This isn't Vegas, so I'm not even going to critique what I thought of the shows, but more variety from night to night would have been nice. What was really impressive is how hard the performers work. We saw them rehearsing every morning, then out working in the resort, and then after the shows mingling with guests at the Infinity bar! We left with a lot of respect for how hard these folks work.

Conclusions:
Jamaica is a beautiful country with wonderful people. Nothing is perfect, so the above comments about small drink cup sizes or having to walk a bit to get a drink at a couple of the beaches is just nit-picky stuff you can work around. For the important stuff, there is an awful lot to like about this resort. It is a beautiful, well maintained property, and the rooms are excellent. All the staff we encountered were incredible, and the pools were just fine. As far as resorts go, we were pleasantly surprised with the food in the ala carte restaurants and with the quality of the drinks (wine not included). We had a terrific time here and would definitely consider coming back.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
26  Thank UncleGus32
Write a ReviewReviews (5,438)

Reviewed February 12, 2012

Hi
We just returned from GPLH this week. People were very nice but the resort is average at best. AC in 3 couples rooms all barely worked and left rooms humid/musty smelling. Bathroom ceiling leaked from above. No premium liquor except on Tuesday night when very limited restocking occurred. We have stayed at G Pal resorts in both Dom Rep and Mexico and this resort did not measure up. No service at the pool. Some restarants were not open or open on only a few nigts. Buffet was good especially the fresh grilled fish guy. With a group of 6 we had to go early to a la carte restarants or have a long wait.

Remo12

Room Tip: Look for a room with good AC.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2012

This was our first trip to Jamaica and the resort caused the vacation to be somewhat on the average side. We were very fatigued by the food by the end of the trip. Some staff acted put out by requests. Others were friendly.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Whets66
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I just returned from a stay at the Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton, I went with my husband, parents and siblings and a couple of their friends, so in total there was a group of 9 of us. My parents have stayed at this resort in the past, and I can tell you that based on my experience they truly have a great appreciation for loyal guests. I stayed in one of the junior suites as did my brothers and their friends, and my parents and their friends each stayed in a beach front bungalow. Upon arrival we were greeted with a glass of rum punch, and the rooms we had requested were ready for us, we arrived at 11am and they were ready despite the fact the check in time was 3pm, as soon as we got to our rooms we discovered complimentary champagne, a platter of fresh fruits and a plate of hand made chocolates and pastries, not to mention that the junior suite was beautiful (despite the fact that they call it a suite it is their most basic room, but I wouldn't call it basic at all) the staff was all very friendly to us during our stay, I noticed that some people were complaining about waiting for food and drinks, but my mom always says 'they are on island time', I get the impression that Jamaica is not a destination you want to visit if you expect people to move quickly, lol. I just didn't think any of the waits were a very big deal, I don't know about other people but when I am on vacation I don't really feel the need to rush and I will say some of the servers were so quick and amazing, I have to mention one server that we had at the Poseidon restaurant for dinner in particular (I unfortunately just can't remember her name), she was so friendly and attentive, after checking we were enjoying our beverages, she said she would keep them coming if we liked, of course we all said yes, and she made sure we were each brought our next drink when we had just a couple sips left of the last one, and I dont mean she would bring the whole table a round of drinks at once, she was paying close attention to what we each needed and would bring each drink individually, this was very much appreciated on a hot, humid night when ice melts very quickly. So many of the bartenders were so friendly, and I couldn't believe how many of them remembered my name so quickly, we really enjoyed Alexander, JJ, Lincot and Mercilyn at the pool bar, and Aldane and Shaun from one of the other bars. We enjoyed the food at all of the restaurants, we ate at the Italian twice, the first night was better than the second but both nights were good, the Indian restaurant was amazing, despite the server having to run around so much the service was very good, as someone who works in the service industry I pay very close attention as to what is going on, and I dont think a lot of people realize that the servers in the Indian restaurant have to go out of the restaurant, to the little bar that is behind the Italian restaurant to drop off their orders and go back to pick up their drinks, and if the Indian and Italian restaurants are both open on the same night, and people are waiting for tables at this bar it gets extremely busy and I think they do a great job of managing their time well, we also ate at the Mexican restaurant, which I would say was closer to real mexican, it wasn't just texmex, and the Creole restaurant was very nice as well. I will say that at all of the restaurants the servers checked many times that we were enjoying each course, so there was ample opportunity to inform them of any problems. I also believe that these restaurants are designed expecting people to order multiple courses, not just entrees, we all usually ate an appetizer and soup, and our appetizer would be on the table as soon as we were finished with whatever we had grabbed from the salad bar. While we were on our stay we did experience an incident that was not the hotels fault, but I couldn't believe how well they handled the situation, on our third day of our vacation there was a brief but intense tropical downpour, it was raining incredibly hard, a lot of leaves and small bits were knocked off trees, because of this the drainage system in our villa backed up and our room and my brothers room that was next to us ended up having water pouring from the ceiling, this happened in all seven rooms that were in this row, when it began to happen we were all at one of the bars, when we got back to the room the maids were trying to clean it up as best they could and the maintenance guy was looking at the pipes, we went up to the front desk to inform them of this and they immediately relocated us to a new room, which ended up being an upgrade to one of the beachfront bungalows (these are their best rooms) and they washed all of our clothes that got wet and returned them within a couple hours, the next day we recieved a letter from the manager apologizing and saying that we would recieve a refund for one night, 2 free lobster dinners and 2 free 50 minute swedish massages, the front desk called us to follow up on this, my husband and I were very grateful and booked our lobster dinner and our massages, they followed up with my brothers and my brothers told them they really appreciated the gesture but were not big fans of lobster, so the front desk told them they would be happy to do something else for them and ended up sending each of them a large bottle of Appletons rum, they were very pleased with that. I would like to thank Channa Lee for all of her help with that! and would thank all of the guest services staff for making sure our vacation was amazing. As far as resort activities go, Andre and Dwayne (Sinker) at total water sports were so friendly and patient and knowledgable for anyone who is interested in Scuba Diving (especially first time divers).

One last thing I will say, and I thought about this based on some discussions I had with people at the resort, as Westerners most of us expect people who are visiting our country to understand our customs and not neccessarily follow them, but not infringe upon us following them, but I don't know if many of us extend that courtesy to others when we are visiting their country, I think that a lot of people who made certain complaints about people on this website should think about that.

Room Tip: Jamaica side has more kids, lady Hamilton side more adults
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank ShanonLeith
Reviewed February 10, 2012

This was our first trip...and...first trip to Jamaica.We were part of a group of 13 that went down for a wedding Fed1st-Feb 8th 2012. We fell in love and are already planning on going back, however we will not return to GPLH. We stayed in Villa 29 and it was beautiful and quiet as it was near the adult pool and small beach. When we arrived, we had to wait 2hrs in lobby to get our rooms. When we got the rooms we had no towels or wash clothes to shower and no mini bar items. We left tips and notes asking for certain items for first few day to no avail, We had to hunt down our own towels and sugar for our coffee maker. When our reg maid worked we had fabulous service Donna was attentive and very honest! Sadly she did not have control ovver the min bar, that was someone else. We had to get bottles of water and pop from our friends and the store as the mini bar service was horrible, untill we complained 2 days b4 we left, as excursions kept us so busy, we were unable to get customer service in on hours. The wedding was another story of complete disgust! It was a same sex commitment ceremony (not legal in anyway). The "brides" made the resort aware of this and were told "NO PROBLEM". upon arrival the "brides were informed that the wedding would b an additional $1600.00. to have it there. We had clergy as part of the group and didn't need any of the hotel services as it was only a commitment ceremony. Well....the day of wedding, the hotel posted staff at the honeymoon suite of the "Brides" with orders to the "lesbians" from marrying! instead of doing a 5min commitment service on the beach-front of their unit on the beach ,very ,very privately (no one else other than staff was around) we were surrounded by security and forced to do the ceremony on the balcony of their suite. we did this and made the best out of a "crappy" situation. After the ceremony we attempted to walk around and take pictures. We were followed everywhere by staff and security!!!!! water sprinklers kept suprisingly turning on as we tried to take pictures, and finally the officiant paid one of the staff members to plz turn sprinklers off long enuf to take pictures,and suprise they did! After the wedding there was a definite coop against our group, my husband and I felt it, so i can imagine how much more intense this would have been for the other non-hetro members of the group! the hotel attempted to try and make some good to us bcuz of the B.S. cookie tray (4 cookies from the buffet) t-shirts and champagne or at least we were told. We had stuff delivered to our room, only to have the stuff stolen along with many items of ours. This happened late the last night there and I was only able to report this on our way out of resort. I spoke with several memebers of customer service our last 3days there trying to get some satisfaction and got none. We even offered LHGP a chance to reedem themselves if we tried them again, and they were not willing to give us any kind of a discount or any means of compensation. There were so many other issues, to numerous to write about. I just highlighted, some of the major issues, So for those planning on LH think again. All restaurants are not open like stated in their ad. We were forced to eat mostly buffet food bcuzz of excursions and timing, lets say that our meals on the plane were better! Cept for BABAS Steak house fantastic food, but u can never get in. we tried four times made it once. Sanja and William Brydges

Room Tip: tip if u want good drinks and fast servic. we wud stand forever waiting for a drink, but if bartende...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sanja B
Reviewed February 10, 2012

After reading some negative reports prior to our holiday we left for Jamaica with an open mind, we needn’t of wor ried. We had the most amazing time & would definitely return. We stayed here 17-31st January, it was our first visit to Jamaica & we would thoroughly recommend it. On arriving at Montego Bay airport, everything was very well organised, the airport is larger than your usual Caribbean & there is quite a long walk to customs, but on the plus side there are plenty of shops for you to pick up souvenirs when departing at the end of your holiday.
Transfer to Grand Palladium is approx’ 45 minutes , on arrival at the hotel check in was very organised & we were on our way to our room in less than 10 minutes. We had mentioned when booking our holiday that it was our wedding anniversary during our stay & thus at check in were upgraded to red wristbands, which gave us special privileges such as, being able to pre-book any of the restaurants, so definitely a good idea to mention when booking.
We were situated in block 40, the furthest away from the main amenities, but still only a 5 minute walk along the covered walkways. We didn’t get a seaview from our room, but who really needs that, you are only in your room to sleep & shower. On arrival at our room, we were amazed at it’s size and it had the most amazing double Jacuzzi bath, we had also been left a plate of cakes and a happy anniversary message from management.
The hotel is the largest we have ever stayed in and we were a little worried that this would maybe be disappointing, how wrong we were, the hotel is beautifully laid out & it doesn’t give you that feeling of being large, just very grand. The gardens are immaculate, as are all the buildings. Everywhere is constantly being cleaned & freshened up with a new coat of paint, we watched the pools being cleaned every day.
There are 3 beaches & 3 pools to choose from, so you can venture somewhere different every day, don’t forget to relax at the spa, where the pool & Jacuzzi & steam rooms are all 8included in your holiday cost, a wonderful bonus.
We had our breakfast every day in the Blue lagoon buffet overlooking the infinity pool, where there was always an excellent selection of food to choose from. For lunch we mostly ate at the Poseidon restaurant near the beach , although the jerk chicken hut is also here & is a very popular.We only ate at the main buffet twice during our stay, as we sampled all the restaurants, some more than once, they were all excellent, had varied menus with plenty to choose from & amazing salad bars, with fresh salmon every day. Our only complaint during our whole holiday was the service in Bubba’s steak house, we ate there twice, it is obviously the busiest restaurant & seems to have more staff than any of the others, but from the bar service through to the waiters & management team it is totally disorganised, don’t get me wrong the food is excellent, the T bone steak was the best we’ve ever had. We did complain on our second visit, so can only hope that this is rectified, as it reflects badly on the rest of the complex.
The staff at this hotel are probably the friendliest we have found on any Caribbean island, they were always cheerful & happy and willing to chat to you, we couldn’t single any one member because they were all wonderful & all worked very hard to ensure that you had a good holiday. We didn’t find the need to tip to get a better service, this just wasn’t necessary.
We did take 2 trips during our stay, an all day to Dunns river falls, this didn’t include lunch, so took some rolls & fruit from the breakfast bar, definitely a good decision as other people on the trip had to pay $15 for a mediocre lunch. I f you are thinking of doing this trip, take beach shoes with you from home, otherwise you will end up buying them there for a ridiculous price. We also did the Jeep safari trip, we was good fun, driving through an orange grove & picking & eating oranges was amazing.
Hope this gives a good overview of our time in Jamaica, feel free to message me with any questions.

Room Tip: If you want peace & quiet, ask for block 39 or 40
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank helenyazor
Reviewed February 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I, along with two friends,stayed at the Lady Hamilton Grand Palladium at the end of January for five nights. We checked in late in the afternoon on a Friday, were greeted with a cold towel and glass of rum punch and were checked in within ten minutes, no problem. We were taken, along with our bags, via cart, to our suites in Villas 35 and 36.

THE ROOMS

Both couples were booked into suites which have a separate living area and a bedroom with a king sized bed. The rooms were very large, relatively clean, and well appointed - fine furniture, two flat screens with a good assortment of channels, large closets with plenty of storage space and hangers and a safe. Not the most comfortable beds but adequate. The bathroom included a stand up shower and a jetted tub. We never used the jetted tub for a couple of reasons, the biggest of which was it looked old and dirty. I'm sure it had been cleaned but no one had taken the time to really scrub the tub floor so it looked less than appealing. There were many paint scratches on the walls, the waste basket in the bathroom was rusty and old, the shower door didn't seal well when closed so if you weren't careful water would get everywhere during a shower. These issues didn't distract from our trip but, with a little care and maintenance (and not the kind you can call the front desk or housekeeping about), they could be fixed.

Also, beware - suites are advertised to have sea or pool pools. We were on the ground floor of Villa 36 and had neither. Very disappointing, especially when we had paid for a suite upgrade.

THE GROUNDS

Beautiful and well maintained. There was always some sort of landscaping and maintenance going on. Very clean also.

THE FOOD

We ate at the buffets a lot which were always had a good selection of food...always tasty. With the exception of the Indian restaurant we actually preferred the food at the buffets to the a la carte restaurants. I'll speak to this in detail separately but the real reason we didn't like the a la carte restaurants, again with the exception of the Indian restaurant, was the service. It was appallingly slow to get anything - water, drinks, appetizers, entrees - we never had dessert because by the time we were done with our meals it was so late. This wasn't a matter of needing to wait for exceptional food preparation either - the food was bland, usually luke warm and not extraordinarily presented. As well, at one point there were more staff members in the Mexican restaurant than diners and we still waited almost an hour and a half for our entrees. The buffets are a much better bet.

We did however have an amazing final meal in the Indian restaurant, our favorite of the whole trip. Marvin, our waiter, was great - so attentive, speedy and friendly to boot. The food was phenomenal, well presented and, thankfully, we even got to try dessert. Kudos to Marvin.

SERVICE

This is where this resort is lacking. I have visited Jamaica twice before and have stayed in over a dozen all-inclusive resorts. Typically you can't pass a staff member walking down the sidewalk without getting a 'good morning', 'how are you?' or at least a 'hello'? Not all but a majority of the staff members at the Lady Hamilton seemed more annoyed to see guests and to have to serve them than happy that guests were there at all - this is front front desk, to bartenders, waiters, bellmen, etc. Nothing was ever presented with a smile and, many times, staff (especially in the restaurants) were very harried and aggressive. It's not the kind of environment that is conducive to relaxing and feeling welcome. Several of the other guests that we encountered on our trip and spoke with echoed the same sentiments. Guests should be made to feel special, not like a nuisance. There needs to be more more stringent customer service training at this resort.

Overall, we had a lovely trip, however I will choose another resort if and when I vacation in Jamaica next based primarily on the less than stellar attitudes of the staff at the Lady Hamilton.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank TravelfromNYC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucea
Hyatt Zilara Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Grand Palladium Lady Hamilton Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!