“watch the wine” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ladysmith, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“watch the wine”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

This was our second visit to Cafe Flores. Our first was wonderful with great service and excellent food. Perhaps it was because they were closing for the next few weeks and the restaurant was packed that things didn't seem up to the previous standard. We ordered the bottle of cabernet sauvignon (250 pesos) and were presented with a tempranillo that is selling at the local tienda for 39 pesos! Another bottle was quickly produced but, again, one we have seen in the store for 80 pesos and not the one on the menu. Quite the mark up for Mexico where normally, in our experience anyway, it's nominal at best. So, we passed on the bottle and just had the house red.
We opted for the prime rib which was on special. We were never asked by our waiter how we wanted it done so, I assumed it would be cooked to what most people order (medium rare). My partner was thrilled to see his arrive "blue", but I was quite turned off by this cold raw slab of meat on my plate and even more annoyed when the people next to us were given a choice of how they wanted it cooked. No one asked if the dinner was okay and I gave up trying to flag down a waiter as my guy was done his dinner. So, we had it packaged to go (he and the dogs will have it for lunch). Just about then Mary happened by and I showed her my unappetizing meal. She offered to grill it for me ( I thought this was roast beef, not a steak) several times, but that was all she was prepared to do. I would have thought a fresh piece done to my taste would have been a better solution! The calamari steak was fabulous!

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Sebastopol, Ca
“Great food, patio dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Love this little gem of a restaurant in the small town of La Manzanilla. It is family run and owned. The mother, Mary, is the bakery chef, the father is the bartender and the daughter, Ales is the chef. She studied in the states and really knows how to make wonderful sauces and foods.
Be sure to make a reservation if you want to eat in the upstairs balcony (a must). Don't miss the pork short ribs as an appetizer as well as the calamari. Their salads are big so you might want to share them. We always get the beet salad, but all the salads are good. The dorado (mahimahi) encrusted with macademia nuts is fabulous, as well as the ribeye steak! We have had almost everything on the menu and everything has been great. We have always had good service there. Open only Monday - Thursday nights. Sometimes there is music, so either call or go by and check the signs outside their door. It is a nice touch to here music as you are eating on the patio uncer the stars. Sandy

• Visited February 2013
Anacortes, Washington
“Tasty Evening Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Great authentic food. I had the Fish tacos and they were great. Yummy pico de gayo sauce with mango. Staff was very accommodating to our group of 13. Good service and ambiance. I will be back some day. Desserts were Devine by the way.

Guadalajara, Mexico
“Waiter with a BAD attitude”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

While not usually shocked by the behavior of waiters, this one had them all beat. I asked for mineral water, with pineapple juice, and rum. All separate, what do I get? Regular water in a glass with ice. No big deal, so I asked again for mineral water, at which point the waiter said this is mineral water. Now I didn't fall off the cabbage truck yesterday, so I take my fork, swirl it around in the glass and say, this is not mineral water, there's no fizz. No people it doesn't stop here and just go away. He actually brings up an opened bottle of mineral water, and says this is the bottle. My husband, an engineer takes a look and say, that can't be it. There's hardly anything out of it, look at this glass, it's full.
Does the story stop here, ohhh I wish it did, NO. The manager comes over and takes the waiters side. At this point I retreat for a cigarette out of the way. The manager comes over and starts talking, at which point I say these 5 words to her. "The customer is always right." She apologized, end of story.

Having given the ugly part, the food was very good, macadamia crusted fish and a spinach quiche, very nicely done and presented. No further upset of any kind.

So, would I recommend this place? Yes for the food. Don't order a complicated drink, and keep it simple, that one male waiter is a menace. The other waiters were great.

Now when I return, if that guy is still there, I will not be returning. If he's gonzo, I will.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Guadalajara, Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excelent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Dinning at the terrace was wonderful. Food superb. Nice experience!!
Dijon pork tenderloin was superb

Visited August 2012