“Fantastic Resort”
Review of The Beachouse

and 1 more site!
The Beachouse
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I stayed at the Beachouse in October with a good friend for a girl's surf trip and we had an amazing time. I live in Fiji and had been searching for a place on Viti Levu that I would want to return to. I found it! The owner, Andrew, goes out of his way to make a personal connection with each and every guest and he comes from an interesting family --I believe 3rd generationj in Fiji. The setting is idyllic--a very nice white sand beach, comfortable bures with hot water (almost unheard of for a backpacker resort), very good food, and beautiful natural decor throughout the resort. The resort can hold quite a few guests but still the staff goes out of their way to know everyone's names. Their boats are top-knotch and Andrew's son Cormack is a very good captain. Also thanks to Ratu, Alanna, Matthis, Semi, Rosa, and Angie for a great trip. Very reasonably priced and I can't wait to return. Vina'a Va'a Levu----Julie on Taveuni

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 24, 2013

The Beach House which is located along the Queens Pacific highway about 2 hours 45 minutes from Nadi. I had three nights booked in here, initially on my first night I wanted to leave but that was only because of a large group present, once they left it was fine.

First of all getting to Beach House is relatively easy, if you are travelling from Nadi just make sure you get on the Express bus and they will take you outside the Beach House, the instructions sent from the owner however I feel could be better – I was worried I was going to miss it as the e-mail instructions said it was about 40 minutes after Sigatoka after a very big hill. Must have gone past some very big hills before we reached the big hill! It was also really hard to find on Google Maps, so evidently when the bus journey came I thought I missed it a couple of times.

Once you do get off the bus, you will walk down a short track, the accommodation is on extensive grounds and you walk past the dorm rooms on your right. Other types of accommodation are on your left as you walk down. Check in was reasonably easy, after I found it, some of the staff had to point it out to me as there was no signage. Staff again always friendly, and very welcoming. Once checked in I made my way through to the dorm room, I had it to myself at this stage but I was warned by staff that there was a great big football group present whom were out at the time.

Food and drinks you could pay for either on account or by cash, you had to order your dinner by 5pm so the chef cooked only the food needed – annoying because you might not want what you order at 5pm when it actually comes to eat. Food was really nice, and there were several options on the menu including Fijian dishes. The only downside was that whilst it was cooked through it was warm, not piping hot. This happened through the main dinners throughout my stay, I was not the only other person to note that but wondered if it was the type of food we were eating.

The resort had plenty of to do, including walking, and taking out some of the water sports, though I didn’t, unfortunately it rained for most of the time here. Also we went on a fishing trip which was great, quite bumpy but got some good fresh air on it.

As I say my stay coincided with an Australian youth football team staying there, unfortunately the stay for me was Anything but relaxing whilst they were present, 14-17 years with little supervision. Teenagers will be teenagers and they ran amok at least on the night I was there, It was also the local Diwali night a few days before, and of course, Fireworks can be sold in shops. Apparently every single one of them went and got fireworks as well as alcohol. Let’s just say it made for a very interesting last night for them. The Chinese should take note of these pyrotechnics youngsters I never knew you could hold fireworks so close and let them off without fear of hurting yourself. The fireworks lit up the sky until at least 3am. They also introduced the Fireworks to the dorm rooms and to the shower block as well. Once they had departed in the morning I waited until about 2pm to remind the staff that you still had people living in the dorm rooms and I wanted to use the shower. It was promptly cleaned up after I suggested I would want moving to a private room, the odd damage was repaired and it was all new again. I’m not sure what actions the management took against the group, but allowing large groups in then they need to be enforcing some conditions on the guardians. Other than that it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Avoid if large groups will be present.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank FOXPRESIDENT
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My second time at beachhouse I found myself in a life threatening situation while surfing by myself I broke my back as well as my leg rope therefor had no floating device I was on the reef about 800m from shore eventually I was seen and rescued. That was only the start all the staff (whom I consider my friends) went well beyond there needs to make sure I was safe, staff organised all my travel insurance (always get it) as well as treating me as one of their own just have to say besides how much I love this place and how great it I'd anyway the comfort I felt I'm time of such great injury was overwhelming I will be back every year to see the beachhouse family and I recommend the experience to anyone that is open to meeting new people and experiencing new cultures hands down best resort I've ever been too

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 14, 2013

THE best hostel of my whole 10 months trip around the world!!! Beautiful location, totally amazing staff that is always helpful and available to play a pool game with you ;)
The feeling of the place is not of a backpacker (if not for the like people minded) but more of an exclusive resort to me. Loved the pool for a quick refreshing bath when tide was low, and all the activities offered by the place! A little far from other places but you have everything you need there!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Aurelie110585
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The Beachouse is all about relaxing, having a good time, getting out in the water (surfing, kayaking, snorkelling....) and being yourself !
The place is really clean and comfortable, classy without being pretentious, with very good value food and activities.

The staff is friendly, and if you are friendly in return and take the time to talk to them they will make you feel special straight away.

I had such a great time there, you can be yourself, it's easy to meet people, and if you want some time for yourself there is plenty of space for it.

The atmosphere is vibrant, no stress allowed here.

Just come with your flip flops, your surf board and your sense of adventure, and the Beachouse will be your home in paradise ! ENJOY !!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Lucy S
Reviewed November 5, 2013

a budget/backpackers place that doesn't feel cheap. Nice vibe and right on the beach, food was decent. Free wifi in the bar BUT it seems limited to a certain number of connections- you may not get through if too many other people have their ipads up and running.

Only a few minor complaints:
No art on the walls in our Traveler's double and minimal windows, so the room was a bit spartan. Mattress was super firm- probably a bit harder than many people would like.

Kayaks are free but they charge FJ$10 (I think) for mask/snorkel/fins, which most comparable resorts don't.

Both the shower and sink/toilet for the traveler's double are in a private outdoor space- you can walk out naked and no one will see you (unlike the Bures at Uprising), but there are mosquitos buzzing about if it's rained recently. Water pressure and hot water in the shower was excellent.

Overall we had a good time and would stay here again. Great for a weekend "get out of Suva" getaway.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here to break up the journey from Suva to Nadi. its a great place to get away from the busy city of suva and relax on a stunning white sandy beach before heading back to nadi. Theres plenty of free things to do for those on a budget such as ping pong, play pool, cocunut jewellry making and kayac - or laze in a hammock . Theres a kitchen to cook your own food to keep costs down- its a little hard to find so best to ask directions but i like that many buildings are semi-hidden by nature

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Korolevu
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
#2 of 5 in Pacific Harbour
Bamboo Hostel
Bamboo Hostel
#1 of 28 in Nadi

Been to The Beachouse? Share your experiences!