“Relaxing beach getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Beachouse
Seattle, Washington
“Relaxing beach getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

I stayed here on 5-day a stopover on my way from New Zealand to the U.S. A travel agent tried to sell me a package to Mango Bay down the road, but I'm glad I chose the Beachouse. I wasn't looking for a party resort and liked that the Beachouse was quiet aside from the nightlife. I actually found it annoying that people from Mango Bay were welcome to hang out here - Beachouse guests were generally not the rowdy type until provoked. The bar gets loud at night.

I stayed in a private garden room, which I felt was overpriced for such basic furnishings. The showers were finicky and often cold, as others have mentioned, but who needs hot water when it's 90 degrees? The food was really good, and although the service was slow, it was always friendly. The 3:00 scones are worth leaving your hammock for! I survived drinking the rain water, so don't pay for bottled. The wifi is not always reliable.

The staff seemed to make it a point to learn your name. Definitely take advantage of the activities and get to know some of the locals. Mali is a genius with the weaving projects. The day trip to Suva is only worth it if you need souvenirs or want to see/shop at the market.

I would go back to the Beachouse without hesitation. I met some great people and had a really lovely time on my stopover. Afternoon rain storms are a great opportunity to socialize and offer some amazing scenery.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Carlow, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

Paradise and great value for money. The staff were fantastic and very helpful in every possible way.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

It's always a bit of guess work when backpacking as a family with your kids - Andrew and his staff at Fiji Beach House made us feel really welcome. The staff really enjoyed interacting and having fun with our kids (primary school aged).

The location is spot-on if you are looking for a great beach, a wave to surf, a hammock to lie on and a Stand Up Paddle board to go out on ... then this is the place for you. We also got out on the Kayaks and has time for a massage.

Highlights for us and the family we stayed with included horse riding on the beach, the impromptu village visit and impromptu surf trip down the coast.

Bures were clean and simple and the outdoor bathrooms/showers were a great touch to the tropical experience.

Overall, the Beach House Fiji was comfortable, friendly and relaxing ... the sort of place I'd come back to.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ewan19
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

We were here for only 5 days but we could have stayed there much longer! So relaxing! The people are so so friendly and helpful. Go on Chuta's Jungle Trek! It is hard work but is fun and you really feel a sense of achievement from it! Eddie also does horse riding on the beach which is gorgeous.

Our rooms were huge, spacious and clean. There were powerful ceiling fans so the room was always cool. The bathrooms were clean and quite large too, though there is no hot water in the showers! Not that this matters in that heat!

Their continental breakfast is lovely and they always have free afternoon tea! With scones and jam! Amazing. The bar and the food is cheap! We ate like kings and queens when we were there and the tab was not very much at all! The food itself is pretty tasty and in good portions. The cocktails there are lethal!

The beach is lush, with clear waters and you can snorkel and see loads! Lovely beach swing, sunsets, dining with a seaview. Pool if you don't fancy the sea, hammocks, deckchairs. If you're more active, free volleyball matches (which are intense!), free kayaking, jungle treks, free cava ceremony, horse riding, PADI dive centre nearby (we did ours here). Amazing place. Would definitely go there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed in the beachouse in a private room. The bar is great and cheap. Food comes in tiny portions and is nice if you dont investigate and eat it in the dark. BLTs come with muddy lettuce. Our water was cold and came in a trickle that was insufficient for rinsing your hands let alone your body. We both ended up using the dorm showers as we got bored of maintenance people telling us they had fixed it when they hadn't. The beachouse seems to focus mainly on big groups and individual guests fall by the wayside. Large groups such as gap year groups take over and change the relaxed vibe when they arrive. We also overheard (and hopefully misheard) that someone was staying there free of charge in exchange for entertaining male guests and enticing them to extend their stay at the hostel. It's in a very idyllic location, but you are at the mercy of a last minute transfer bus and a totally unreliable public bus timetable to get out of there. For the long transfer from Nadi, I wouldn't bother going there and would just go to an island closer to Nadi. It seems to be popular and enjoyed by <23 year olds travelling in groups and with a large capacity for alcohol

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank MacRyan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

I'll be back here just as soon as is possible!
Beachouse has everying I could want in a place to stay. Its relaxed, quiet, friendly and you simply feel as though you're staying at a friend's house.
There are activities on offer to cater for everybody which are reasonably priced and the beach is great for snorkeling or taking out the kayaks which are free to use.
The staff are friendly and welcoming, it seems like everybody knows your name, it makes this place really homely and warm.
The only down side is the couple of hours on a bus you spend coming from the airport and the fact it's a little far from anything...then again that's often nice thing.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

I stayed here for 5 nights and wish I had planned for longer. I stayed in one of the garden rooms which was clean but very basic. There was a reasonably comfortable double bed and some drawers. Also there were small gaps in the windows/ flyscreens that meant I had a little lizard friend in my room, not that i minded. I didn't notice bugs getting in, but i never kept the light on for very long. The only animal that seemed to be in plague proportions were the frogs/ toad (I'm not sure which). There covered the paths at night and there were several time i thought i would (or had) stepped on one. This was usually on a trip to the bathroom which I found to be clean and fairly nice for share bathrooms.

The best part of the Beachouse was the atmosphere and the people. As I was traveling on my own I wasn't sure what kind of a welcome I would get from other guests. I had been a bit lonely in Nadi as people weren't interested in making friends for a few days. The Beachouse was the opposite. I made friends with most of the other guests and I have half of them as facebook friends now. The staff were lovely and did a great job of looking after us.

The food was really good and not overpriced at all. I think we were lucky and managed to get the staff to do a fijian style BBQ one night and on the night most people were leaving we threw a big party and had a traditional lovo (ground oven) dinner on this night. The local beer is decent and cheap and we had many a drunken nights, this is when it's good the rooms are away from the dinning area and pool (for the few people sleeping early). Also had the opportunity to drink kava properly. Not like the watered down version for the tours. Tasted horrible but no hang over (if kava was all you drank) so great for nights before a busy day.

The activities were good too. We did the walk to the waterfall and Juta was great, explaining about the plants we saw on the way. And so cheap only $10FJ. I had a massage too which was very good and reasonably priced. There were lots of relaxing activities to do as well like the leaf weaving, and coconut jewelry making. Both were fun and free!

Snorkelling was fun but not the most spectacular I have done, there were a few reef sharks though out near the passage which had a mild current and was only accessible at some times of the day. I also did some diving which they pick you up from the beach for. The first 2 dives I did were just me and the dive guide and they were on along pretty nice wall. The second day of dives I did were shallower as there were a few discover divers (newbies) on the trip but I still saw a lot. Some stingrays, reef sharks, moray eels, lionfish and clownfish etc.

Overall I managed to do lots of fun activities here and still have plenty of time to relax and enjoy a good book. The Beachouse was the best place I stayed in Fiji.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank MelbDiver
Also consider these accommodations in or near Korolevu
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,826 reviews
Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa

Been to The Beachouse? Share your experiences!