The Maven Gypsy Bed & Breakfast & Cottages
Excellent 5/5
Good 3.5/5
MacNeil's Motel(North Sydney)
Very Good 4/5
Kow's Inn(Little Bras d'Or)
Great 4.5/5
The Clansman Motel(North Sydney)
Good 3.5/5
Hotel North(North Sydney)
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsb bcabot trailcape bretonhomemade granolathe main houseceiling fanthree nightsneil's harbouran excellent hostwill stay there againbed and breakfasthear the wavesmaven gypsykevincottageoceanhostess
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I wanted to travel the Cabot Trail with our dog and were delighted to find that The Maven Gypsy permitted dogs in their cottages. Both people I dealt with were very helpful. I believe we were the only cottage guests and were in cottage #1. Although no A/C, the cottage had plenty of windows and a ceiling fan; unfortunately, that evening was a little warm and humid for my liking. Appreciated the cooking facilities for dinner and breakfast; although, we could have ordered breakfast for only $10. Two primary concerns were the soft mattress and non-toxic minerals in water; after showering, my skin felt that it needed to be cleaned, again. Would recommend you try it if traveling through the area. Just be sure you have insect repellent for the mosquitoes, as it is a densely wooded area, and be prepared to be waken by Mother Nature's alarm...Gypsy's own rooster. Loved it!

Room Tip: Bring a fan and own water; small bottles of drinking water provided. Recommend breakfast value; Dancing Moose (breakfast) and another cafe/restaurant just down the road. Check out Sew Inclined hats a few meters down the road.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Suzanne S
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Exemplary service, reminiscent of that of a bygone era, remains alive and well at the Maven Gypsy B&B. B&B manager Gregory demonstrated that by his focus on ensuring the comfort and enjoyment of all guests and by providing a breakfast service which we found second to none during our travel through Nova Scotia. He is truly an expert in the kitchen and provided a number of delicious menu items which remain a subject of discussion when recounting highlights of our trip to family and friends. Our room was clean, well maintained, and comfortable. Gregory was knowledgable about the area and took the time to ensure all of our questions were answered. The Maven Gypsy B&B is obviusly being managed by an experienced service professional and will be on our list of recommended places for anyone planning a visit to Cape Breton Island traveling the Cabot Trail. Bob and Gayle (Sandy Springs, Georgia)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert L
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We found this to be an excellent place to travel the Cabot Trail. Our host provided excellent breakfasts and lots of advice on places to visit. White Point is particularly beautiful but the memorial to the unknown fisherman provides a solemn reminder of the perils of the sea.

Our room was excellent, with a view over the Atlantic an the lulling sound of small waves breaking on the pebble beach.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
themavengypsybandb, Owner at The Maven Gypsy Bed & Breakfast & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Hi Sue and Chris, thank you for your very kind words and so glad you enjoyed the ambiance of Cape Breton and we hope you can return for another visit.
Enjoy your summer

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were the first visitors at the Maven Gypsy for the 2013 season, arriving a day after the new hosts (from the UK) had arrived. A comfortable place to stop, especially if you are doing the Cabot Trail counter-clockwise. Breakfast was spectacular; our host generously copied out the details of the ingredients for the homemade breakfast granola.

Variety of rooms available, as well as cabins. Our room, with en suite bath, was roomy and well decorated.

I would recommend the Maven Gypsy for any visitors to the island and would certainly stay there next time I visit Cape Breton.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brien H

Hola and thank you for taking the time to write this response. We are so happy you enjoyed our little coener of the Cabot Trail and hope one day you will return.
Have a great summer

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Access to this property is a bit difficult. I drive a Hyundai Santa Fe crossover SUV with good ground clearance, but I bottomed out twice on the short but steep, unpaved driveway leading up to the main building. I actually had to use lower gear and my car automatically shifted into all wheel drive!

We stayed in one of the cottages in the back of the property. The cottages are a decent size and clean with a little kitchenette for preparing meals. There was a toaster oven, 2-burner stove, pots/pans, cups, plates, etc. and they did provide coffee and tea for us to make but there was no microwave. There is also no WiFi in the cottages, though I could get it in the main B&B building. Just a warning: don’t sit on the end of one of the twin beds. It collapsed twice on me. (I weigh 133 pounds.) The mattresses are rock hard and very uncomfortable.

A big plus is that the cottages are pet friendly (one time $20 fee). The setting is lovely and quiet but 13 miles from the entrance to the national park. Next time I will find accommodations closer to the park and its many hiking trails.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank amlbones

Hi, sorry we only received this response in March and were closed until a few weeks ago,
we have worked to improve the driveway also there are micro waves and tea and coffee in each Cottage but I will always double check to be sure.
Again thank you for your comments they help us understand the needs of our guests.
Have a great summer.