Coconuts Beach Club
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$189
$176
Agoda.com
$82
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
Dave Parker Eco Lodge(Apia)(Great Value!)
$23
  • Pool
Samoa Tradition Resort(Apia)(Great Value!)
$70
$55
$143
  • Breakfast included
Samoan Outrigger Hotel(Apia)(Great Value!)
$54
$50
$163
$151
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsmeal dealbeach falemeal planour honeymoonmini barfishmanoa toursturtles swimmingbeach frontswim up barcoffee tablesinalei resortrestaurant staffsamoan cultureper hourother islandssamoan dishes
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 25, 2008

When we booked our Honeymoon I saw a few negative reviews about the resort. So actually went back to our travel agent and she talked to some people who had recently been and she assured us it would be fine.
We were on our honeymoon and stayed 5 night in the over the water fales. We had the BEST time!
We loved our room, very authentic but clean and functional. We thought the food was great, I loved the traditional meals. We were on the meal deal and we loved the unlimited beer and wine, that was very well used on our behalf. Once you got used to the local drinks.
We found all the hotel staff so helpful and came to know you personally and have a chat to you each day. We got to know a few of them quite well!
We admit the snorkling wasn't great out from the resort but we went to other beaches to snorkel.
We loved that the resort was quite isolated so the bech wasn't packed with resort after resort. You could work down the beach and enjoy the views and see no one.
We loved seeing the local people in there traditional way of life. We have been to Rarotonga before and stayed at the Rarotongan Beach resort and loved that. Although we loved the coconuts and Samoa more, because of its less touristy atmosphere. Staying at coconuts there was hardly any children which was a plus for us, being on our honeymoon but also being a teaher. You want to get away from that.
We stongly recomend Coconuts Beach Club

6  Thank NZtravelbug22
Reviewed November 3, 2008

After reading all the bad reviews of coconuts, I must admit I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed there for 4 nights in mid October and had a great time. I guess people arent happy unless the're whinging. We stayed in an upstairs treehouse room and thought it was fantastic. The decor and settings was very tropical and clean. I must admit though that the bed was hard. We had no problems with towels either, always re -issued daily. The cultural day was fantastic and not to be missed. Albert & Spider are fantastic. We went swimming on the beach right next to Coconuts and thought it was great. Crystal clear water, soft sand and coconut trees! The pool was a bit of a dissapointment as reported by other reviewers...we only swam in it once as the rest of the time it was closed as it was being refilled.But that didnt matter as we had hired a car and drove to other beaches and spent time looking around Samoa, something everyone should do or you miss out on so much. The food at Mikas was really good, but I guess it was a bit oily now that others have mentioned it, but that seemed to be the case basically everywhere else. We did eat at other places as we had a car. I also did find it a bit expensive, but hey, thats what these places are about, if you dont want to part with your cash than stay home....About the staff in the restaurant and the bar, most were nice, but there was one woman there who I found quite 'grumpy' if that is the word. I think she wanted us to spend up big. Overall, the place is up market, and very quiet...I did see a few kids there but they seemed quite bored. Overall, I found after 4 nights that it was time to move on, which we did.

3  Thank coota8
Reviewed October 26, 2008

We had an enjoyable stay but feel the hotel is way overpriced - That said there are many staff from the local village working at the resort behind the scenes - which is good for the local village. Sadly whenever we ate at the restaurant we felt as if the staff couldn't wait to bring us the bill to get us out - another bottle of wine or a coffee appeared to be an inconvenience. Some of the older female staff were quite lovely, but they weren't working often enough to make this a regular experience. We ended up eating elsewhere most nights...get yourself a car and eat at much cheaper and better restaurants in Apia - Paddles or The Curry House. Even next door at Lupe's the food is cheap and basic but tasty you'll find the staff there willing to sit and chat with you or even partake in a game of pool...but if you don't want to chat it's not a problem - they are very relaxed.

The non-restaurant staff are quite friendly and helpful - but I wouldn't have felt comfortable commenting on anything I didn't agree with - the attitude is definitely not one of customer is always right.

The charge $600 tala per night was a huge base to then put overpriced meals and tours on top of.

The beach is not one for anything but snorkelling or kayaking...lots of rocks and coral...you'll need reef shoes. the snorkelling is great - loads of fish - but need to walk over to Sinalei and snorkel off the pier around the natural spring pool..Kayak into the mangroves for a blissful experience, but avoid being talked into a guided tour - another money grab. after paying a huge amount for the accommodation - there are endless grabs at more money from guests - the free laundry service for those staying for 7 nights or more only happens after 7 nights...give them laundry before, and you pay. use the internet, which is not a great connection, and only the one laptop for all guests and you will pay for it. Organise a cab and they will get a mate in and bump the agreed price up...I'd recommend organising your own taxi and negotiate a better price. I'd say it would have been a great experience if i didn't feel like we were seen as a cash cow before being seen as a guest. That was the main thing that soured my experience. And it wouldn't have taken much to please me.

The pool with a swim up bar was only functional for half our stay and there was never anyone tending bar there - but it was better than swimming in the beach due to the rocks a sharp dead coral parts filing the beach.

Food - the only thing on the menu that i enjoyed was the food at the cultural day an then the waffles for breakfast...everything else did not match it's menu description. My partner disagrees and enjoyed the food.

We chose coconuts because we are a gay couple and homosexuality is illegal in samoa so we thought we'd be safest at a resort. with management itt didn't appear to be a major problem although our paranoia told us the male staff were having a bit of a chuckle about us whenever we'd walk up to reception. it was a little uncomfortable. they were never rude to us and I think we ended up getting along well with them, but when you are paying a lot of money for the rooms you don't want to hear words to each other in samoan and then raucus laughter every time you walk up to get some information. it can be a little unnerving when you are already feeling a little vulnerable.

I think I would rather pretend to be two straight mates and get separate beds somewhere else than feel embarrassed and self conscious like I did.

would i stay there again? - No. Maybe resorts aren't my thing?

what did i enjoy? - The sunsets, the kayaking, the snorkelling, watching the waves crash against the reef while eating breakfast, cultural day, the proximity to Lupe's, the airconditioning, the village maninoa, the mangroves, some of the staff were lovely.

3  Thank Basil4
Reviewed October 1, 2008

We have just got back from 7 days in Samoa, staying at Coconut's Beach Club.

It states 5 stars on brochure we classify it as 3 coconut's

We booked a 2 bedroom faille ( A) as that was all that was left close to the beach. Built around 1993, it still seems to be stuck around that time.
The mattress was defiantly from 1993 (rock hard) and the 1 pillow person was flat and tatty. we asked for more and or a softer mattress...nothing ever happened
Bathrooms while quite rustic were okay but you only get 1 towel, face washer and hand towel each person. NO More, so don't ask
1 beach towel per person and this was changed only when you found someone to ask for a clean one but you cannot get an additional towel!!
The famous Mika's restaurant, well he was from Hawaii in the 70"s and the menu reflects this. Too much oil, butter and cheese on everything!!!. The continental part of the menu needs updating seriously!! too old school American, we actually went over and ate in the Sinalei restaurant most days, as the menu suited our eating style a lot more
You cant make changes to anything on the listed menu as the staff don't understand menu alterations
The meal deal was not worth the money asked as we are not huge eaters or drinkers, so we did better not going with that.

Why i say it feels like we were on Gilligan's Island, it is very simple, rustic and quite.. If that is what you are looking for, go for it.. don't expect any luxuries at all, just fairly clean basics

The resort was cleanish, and laid back no children under 3 years but we did have a couple with the baby in a bassinet ??

We have a lot of other places to see before going back to Samoa and if we did we would go up the road to Sinalei,, it seemed a lot more our speed.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ThurstonandLovie
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I thought i better get a move on and write a review, and tell everybody how amazing our trip was.
Coconuts was a beautiful hotel, the rooms are wonderful!
They are all a wee bit different so feel really special, but each are equally as good as each other..

We had a family of 14 stay, all different ages from 8 to 65. The holiday was enjoyed by all!! The hotel staff really looked after us.
They had no problem in helping us with they many questions we had to ask, or accomodating all of us at the one time (eg, at dinner, we had one very long table!).

If anyone has any questions about ANYTHING, i will be happy to answer.. my review is brief but i would rather answer peoples questions as i have so much to say (all good things!)
I also have information regarding places to visit around samoa etc..

Overall brillant place to stay for all ages, highly recommend!!

• Stayed: March 2008