“Great food, accommodation ok”

Relais Picaron Hotel
Sussex, England
“Great food, accommodation ok”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I arrived in the dark so missed out of the scenic location until I checked out in the morning!
Reception was warm and friendly in English and Italian, the double room was small and functional (shower head had good pressure but the head was rubbish). However the bed was comfortable and they had full Italian sky TV.
Highlight was dinner which had a good mixture of local dishes and the normal. All courses were great with a chatty waitresses.
Breakfast was above average on choice and range.
Overall nice hotel, great food but OK accommodation

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jamescim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We had dinner at Al Picaron. We dropped in without reservations and were quite impressed with the atmosphere and the view. It was a Thursday night, we sat outside and listened to music while we ate. I had the smoked duck salad. It was delicious. The service was great and the price was decent. I would return there in a heart beat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
USA
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We arrived in Friuli to fufill their wishes to have their ashes buried nearby. I had stayed at this hotel previously. As usual, the staff was accomodating and a pleasure to deal with.. Due to the burial, they allowed us to have access to our room until late afternoon at no charge. What a kind gesture!!! Every day we were greeted by the staff at the front desk with a friendly smile.

The rooms were lovely and when we asked if we could have adjoining rooms on the patio overlooking the Alps, they immediately accomodated us. The view is breathtaking. The breakfast was spectacular and we looked forward to it every morning. The attendant in the breakfast room could not have been sweeter!!

I have traveled all over the world and I can't say that I have been treated any better!! ---as if we were family. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Friuli. Also, within walking distance of downtown San Daniele and several fantastic restaurants. If you adore prosciutto as I do, this is the place!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Warner Robins, Georgia
Reviewed November 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed here with several other families. Overall, it was a fine stay. Not fantastic, but not bad. We were in a double room and by "double" they mean that they pushed two twin beds together to make a "double" bed. That was a little disappointing, especially for the price we paid (about 100 euro). We were exhausted from a day at a festival, so we slept okay, but it wasn't exactly the most comfortable place to sleep. The size of the room was average for Europe, and the bathroom was also average sized.

Breakfast the next morning was great! They prepared whatever coffee we wanted and kept bringing us more until we asked them to stop. The spread they had out was more than your average croissant. There were hard boiled eggs, several meats and cheeses, cereal, as well as pastries.

We don't have children, but the families we went with did have kids and they loved the area to play outside. Although, bring a pair of tweezers with you—almost all of the kids ended up with splinters from playing on the boat they have outside!
All in all, this wasn't a bad place to stay and we would probably stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed January 26, 2009

I stayed here for one night with a colleague whilst in the region. I've been here before on several occasions and it is always clean, with pleasant reception staff and is in a great location for views of the surrounding area. However, if you are driving there without sat nav then be prepared to spend a while looking for the hotel on your first visit as it is by no means the easiest to find.

The bathrooms are tiny, with a shower squeezed into the corner between a wall and the sink. A larger or pregnant person may struggle to get in and out. However, if you like quaint, you will like the bedrooms (which are just right for one person and one suitcase but I imagine for two would be a little tight on space!)

One thing you may want to consider if that you are after an early night or a lie in, then the floor in the corridor just outside your room is a kind of brick tile, which amplifies every footstep and every suitcase being wheeled past, be that late at night or at the crack of dawn. It may be worth asking for a room at the end of the corridor when you book, as I now do.

Breakfast in the hotel is great - a big, spacious room and plenty of choice. We've always been taken out for dinner so I have not had the chance to eat there in the evening, but have enjoyed a few aperitifs outside on the terrace when I've visited at warmer times of the year.

• Liked — The breakfast - and the scenery
  • Disliked — The size of the bathroom
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Daniele del Friuli
Albergo Ristorante Costantini
La Casa Sul Fiume
La Casa Sul Fiume
#4 of 9 in San Daniele del Friuli

Been to Relais Picaron Hotel? Share your experiences!