“Unforgettable Experience”

BEES - Burm and Emily's Elephant Sanctuary
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Mae Chaem
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: You MUST make a booking. Please do NOT just show up. We do NOT run a general day program or overnight stay (You may be able to visit in low season). Our normal program is Mon-Thurs/Thurs-Fri OR 1 week Mon-Sun. We are an Elephant Sanctuary and Animal Rescue Center. We are located in the valley of Mae Tan, Maechaem and are near lushforest land and rivers and have a beautiful view of Doi Inthanon the Highest mountain in Thailand. We run rescue, rehabilitation and release programs for local wildlife where we can, rescue all domestic animals in need and run community projects to sustainably develop our local community. Become a volunteer and join us to create a better future for the animals, elephants and community. By working together we can make a difference. Thank you!
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

I volunteered with BEES for 6 nights in April 2014, and will remember it as one of the best experiences in my life. You can see that the money you pay goes directly to the welfare of the Elephants, rescued dogs and cats, and local community.

Emily and Burm are inspiring, and so passionate about what they do. Activities changed day to day - walking with the elephants to the big river, cleaning their sleeping areas, feeding and bathing them. The walk to the river was breathtaking.

You learn about the different personalities of the eles, Mae Kam (princess) and Mae Jumpee (gentle grandma). It was so peaceful just watching them.

There are rescued dogs and cats that stay in the sanctuary as well, and even a few tortoises.

Few things that are helpful to know to bring: clothes you don't mind getting dirty, rain boots, working gloves, flashlight, earplugs if you are a light sleeper, and of course a positive attitude knowing you contributing to a wonderful cause.

6  Thank Sandinmyhair

Reviewed April 1, 2014

An extraordinary opportunity to watch people changing the world one animal at a time. You can visit or volunteer in support of the important work going on here. You will get to interact with the elephants in close proximity, but also with respect for their space and comfort. I learned so much from Emily and Burm about the challenges of protecting Thailand's elephants. Don't even hesitate for a second-- you don't want to miss this! It is truly the experience of a lifetime.

5  Thank dr_janie
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My father and I spent 5 days at BEES and it was just what the heart and soul needed after having spent a week at the Elephant Round up in Surin. We went from seeing hundreds of abused, bleeding and exploited elephants to being around happy, loved, respected and well-cared for elephants. What a difference! Burm and Emily, the founders, are amazing! Both passionate and knowledgeable, caring and compassionate. They are so committed and work tirelessly to create the best life for their old elephants and allow their elephants the freedom to be elephants - no work, no shows, no rides. Also, Burm is an amazing cook! Emily's exuberance - infectious! This sanctuary is a must for anyone who truly cares about elephants, wants to learn more about them and loves being surrounded by happy animals in nature.

6  Thank LovesAnimals44
Reviewed January 26, 2014

In early December 2013, I visited BEES for a few days. It is located up in the mountains near Chiang Mai and is very nice. The cabins are very Thai and are hand made by Burm's dad. I felt that I really got a taste of what it was like to live in Thailand. They had two elephants when I visited them and I got to spend as much time as I wanted with them. I fed them, helped to bathe them and went on lovely walks down the river with them. There is some talk of getting another one so, soon there might be additional elephant bliss at BEES. There are quite a few rescued dogs and cats there and I made a few friends, especially Gizmo the cat who followed me everywhere. Since I left, they have rescued a few more dogs and cats - there are always dogs and cats in need in Thailand.

The food is fantastic and Burm is a great cook. We had a meal of rice cooked in bamboo and tea in just made bamboo cups on one of our walks which was amazing.

One day we went to the temple where I got a blessing from one of the monks. The temple also has a few dogs and cats that they've rescued as well as quite a few chickens and chicks roaming around. There is a traditional Thai apothacary there where you can buy Thai medicine, if you know what you're looking for.

As I am older (60) I really appreciated that the walks down the river were shorter than usual and that they took care to accommodate me. I think that younger people would get so much more out of BEES and be more helpful to them. As they are still building up the sanctuary, there are always jobs to be done there and if I had been in my 20's or 30's or even 40's I would have been able to chip right in and help out. I have already recommended it to my sons as a great place to go to make a difference.

8  Thank Kim_Thelesa
Reviewed November 6, 2013

if u dont want to see a chain, a hook, a nail or a knife anywhere near an elephant then this is one of very few choices in Thailand you have. me and my girlfriend both 25 spent hours researching and couldnt be happier with the experience. they are all around the same price here and we wanted the money to go to the animals well being. if your worried about not being close to the animals i can say you will definitely have to wash the elephant slobber off you at the end of each day. spent the week following the 2 girls through the jungle, down to the river, bathing them, hand feeding them, playing with puppies and a little sight seeing. beautiful place to stay burm and emily were very hospitable and burms a pretty good cook too. more than amazing, more than money can buy, will be back to do it again.

7  Thank picklefreak