“Unique and fascinating!”
Review of Dokmai Garden

Dokmai Garden
Ranked #5 of 23 things to do in Hang Dong
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

The wonderful reviews of this place are all completely true. My friend and I were planning on taking a cooking class when I stumbled apon Dokmai Garden online. We decided that a day with a market tour and botanical edible garden would be more interesting than just hanging out in a kitchen all day. I love to visit local markets when i visit new countries, and going with Eric was really the best way ever! He brought us to a local food market where he described the fruits and vegetables, their origins and how they are prepared. I was very interested and asked a lot of questions, so we stayed even longer. Eric is truly fascinated with botany and was a fantastic guide to these things that I would have otherwise just looked at and wondered about. Also,anything we came across that was particularly rare or interesting to him or us, he purchased to prepare for us. Then we had a tour of the beautiful garden and ate star fruit, cocoa, rose apple,mulberries,and other fruits and herbs off the trees. After the tour, we prepared an omelette, a curry, hibiscus-type tea, mango salad, and vegetables from the market with Kate and her mother. It was more a "how to choose thai foods and prepare them in thai style" than a western-style recipe-based class, which I think is much more helpful in cooking at home. I highly recommend this tour to anyone who truly enjoys learning about and tasting new foods on their vacations!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Definitely one of the highlights of our last Chiang Mai escapade.

Eric, the host, is an excellent communicator: he'll provide with enormous amounts of interesting information, and very amusing anecdotes all throughout the 2 hours tour.
His passion and enthusiasm is contagious.
Even you're a total beginner in botanic matters, as I am, you'll enjoy every bit of it.
I brought my girlfriend and her Ukrainian family over to the garden, and although they missed some of the info (they don't speak English), everyone managed to have a great time.
Recommended to everyone- it's educational, thoroughly entertaining and inspirational.

1  Thank Hightower28
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We did this tour on Saturday so Eric was able to take us to the Saturday market to see locals buying and selling everything from food, clothes and electronics to water buffalo and chickens and ducks. A great experience and well worth the early start!

Dokmai garden is extremely interesting with a large array of native species which Eric and has wife lovingly explain in as much detail as you require. They are experts who love everything around them and clearly demonstrate real in depth knowledge and understanding of their environment.

The food provided was also fabulous and we'd all have loved to have done the offered cooking class had more time been available. We enjoyed the walk through the local village and the final market visit on the way back topped off a wonderful day for us.

Thoroughly recommended it if you enjoy plants and Thai rural life.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Never knew there were so many fantastic species. Event hough I am not a no way near a gardener or a flower person, I must say, if I had to have a gift or a bouquet given to me, please only give me orchids. Its a nice to do - educational, a lovely morning thing to do and its all about when you expect less, you might just get more ;)

See more reviews
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is a wonderful way to spend a half/whole day. Eric is super knowledgeable and very personable at the same time. He has a great sense of humor and can answer even the questions posted by myself, by far the lest knowledgeable member of the group. We had a plant specialist from China, 2 americans traveling Asia learning about gardens, a Korean teacher and a Thai lady with a broad knowledge of plants. I am an engineer sorely lacking in this sort of knowledge but I love plants and information.

We planed on 1-2 hours but spent most of the day including lunch and were sad to leave.
It is difficult to find, I used the GPS for the nearest golf course to find the location, which is so far off the beaten path that there is no path.....

Lunch was great and the entire visit wonderful, and we had just come from spending then entire day at the Royal Flora next to the Night Safari in Chiang Mai.