“Fun and informative”
Review of Dokmai Garden

Dokmai Garden
Ranked #3 of 21 things to do in Hang Dong
Reviewed October 1, 2012

First of all inform yourself and your driver well as to where it is, its not that well known. Best thing to do is phone Erik at the garden first and he will organise a tuktuk driver for you that knows the way.
This was a great little trip around Eriks wonderfully kept garden. Erik is very well-informed, PhD in botany I believe, and passionate about what he does. If you want to learn a little, or a lot, about Thailand's fauna this is highly recommended. I believe they also do wellness/detox type offers where you can work in the gardens.

1  Thank mangotonk

Reviewed July 10, 2012

It is quite a long way south past the samoeng turning and almost at Sanpatong along the irrigation canal road.The Swedish owner is justifably proud of many of his rare species'
The dood news is that by the end of the year the dual carriage way will extend all the way.
A real labour of love
It deserves to be successful
Ron

2  Thank ronwparker
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We visited Dokmai Garden in the off season so were the only people there. The restaurant was not in service at this time but we were given a very thorough and informative tour by Erik, introducing us to many unusual plants. We learned a lot of unique facts about plants and their products and their history in the area.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Erik, the botanist who manages Dokmai Garden with his wife Ketsanee, gives a really great tour on your first visit. This is one of the best places in Chiang Mai, along with the Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden, to begin familiarizing yourself with the local plants and flowers.

The day I went I was the only one there and Erik spent all morning showing me around. I even ate lunch with he, his wife Ketsanee and son. It was excellent! I got to taste a unique fruit and some eclectic medicinal herbs.

Erik also writes a blog that is updated regularly and has some very interesting posts about what he is doing at the garden and what similarly flora minded organizations he is working with.

I'm a little annoyed that I emailed them (twice) asking if I could take some photos early one morning and never heard back. I would really like to return.

2  Thank zjbsan
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Highly recommended and you will learn so much from Eric about nature and plants