To say that I can't say enough in praise of The High Resort would be a cop out, because I can. We stayed 4 nights here before 3 nights in Chiang Mai itself and it was in every aspect a superb experience.
We arrived after a very stressful 22-hour journey from London (complications at Bangkok when we were on standby and got bumped off a flight to Chiang Mai four times in a row). Within minutes it all became a distant memory as we settled into what is truly a retreat from the stresses of life.
We were greeted by June at reception, one of the High Resort's greatest assets. She's also a wonderful Ambassador for Thailand, proving that the north of the country is certainly the Land of Smiles. Not so sure about Bangkok and other parts of the south, but that's another story and a different review (we stayed there for 3 nights en route back to London).
We stayed in a suite with plunge pool and would highly recommend going for that option if your budget will allow. The internal space is huge and the outdoor area transforms it into a villa experience.
Having said that, a room anywhere in this complex will work its magic on you. On our first night the resort was fully booked but you felt as if you had the whole place to yourself. The lantern-lit walkways at night are part of the spell this whole place casts and are among our favourite memories.
In terms of dining, apart from the magnificent breakfast each morning overlooking a vista that would instantly heal any hangover, we had room service on our first night, the outdoor restaurant on the second, and a local kitchen on the third. The hotel food is excellent and very good value, but the roadside restaurant just outside the hotel was the highlight. I wish I could tell you its name but it didn't seem to have any. We were the only strangers there, but it never felt like that for one moment. No doubt the owners and locals assumed we had come from the High Resort but we were treated as one of their own. As for the food, it was Thai home-cooking at its best and was ridiculously cheap.
We're looking forward to our return visit and will take 7 nights next time round. When booking we thought 4 would be enough before moving into the city, but the experience of getting away from everything was such a rich part of this stay that a week would pass like 'another day in paradise'. As Phil Collins might say.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Veranda Chiangmai: The High Resort, is a total Zen experience from the moment of arrival. We located in private valley with rice and tea terraces, natural ponds and orchids. Perfect retreat to relax and indulge yourself in the Spa. Divided into two zones, on one side representing the cultural heritage of the north and the other the Contemporary Veranda style. A boutique northern retreat of just 72 rooms, all guests are ensured of the best personal service, 24 hours a day from our warm and friendly staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Veranda High Resort Chiang Mai - MGallery Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Veranda High Resort Chiang Mai Hotel Hang Dong
- Veranda High Resort Chiang Mai - MGallery Collection Chiang Mai Province, Thailand - Hang Dong