“Loved this place!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mae Sariang
Northwest Guesthouse
Ranked #3 of 12 Mae Sariang B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a prime example of how the owners and/or staff can make a place exceptional. I don't have a lot to say about the guesthouse itself - it's an attractive old teak house with clean functional rooms that presents very well for the 600 baht (en-suite double) asking price, but the owners were amongst the most delightful people we've encountered on 8 trips through Thailand.

Sadly we didn't get to try their food. Their restaurant was closed for NYE, apart from a private booking that they were honouring from a long time earlier. Not a problem, we had dinner at a so-so Burmese place up the street. When we returned to drink our bottle of champagne that we'd carted from Chiang Mai especially for the occasion, and the lady owner had happily refrigerated for us, they were unnecessarily awkward about the dining family (it was absolutely no problem to us), so much so that they insisted on specially making an enormous plate of complimentary spring rolls for us. Rather than prove the exception, I strongly suspect that this is simply how they operate. Wonderful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Marcus H

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Northwest Guesthouse is an old wooden building with nice and clean rooms with fan and moskito net. Be shire to use either of them at night, because the moskitos here are really mean. If you are sitting outside a repellent is adviced.
The guesthouse has some nice food, drinks, a good selection of ice cream And really friendly and helpful stuff. If you are looking for a budget stay in the middle of town close to the river, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AxelWinter
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I spent only one night here, but was enough to bring me back on my next trip. The rooms are basic, but clean and reasonably priced. There is also a good restaurant on the main floor and I ate a great western breakfast with fresh ground coffee. The owner just had a baby girl, so there was much excitement, family and friends, and I was welcomed into it all and treated like I was a family friend. This is to me what staying in a small town guesthouse is all about. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Alexis W
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I didn't stay here (I stayed at Riverhouse Hotel) but I are two dinners here and was pleased. Both times I had a Thai-style spicy salad. The first was a crispy fish salad which was quite tasty with a generous serving of fried fish pieces, onions, shallots and shredded carrot plus some herbs and a dressing. I'm glad I asked for "little spicy" because it was on the verge of being too hot, but not quite there. Very tasty. Wish the fish hadn't been quite so bony, but Mae Sariang is a long way from the sea and they're working with the local fish they can get. Next time I had spicy fried egg salad and it was just outstanding and a very big portion, to boot; couldn't quite finish. Owners were extremely nice and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank BallardBeaver
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed here for three night in July and really liked it. I stayed in a very cheap (200baht) room upstairs with a fan and a mattress in the floor. The owners are very helpful and friendly and the food is nice. There I wifi in the whole house and the shared bathrooms are clean and looked after. The downstairs area is great to hang out and relax. They have a massive tv with toms of channels if you fancy watching a blockbuster. All in all a great value for money. It can get noisy with a newly opened bar opossite. But that was not the case every night. I suggest earplugs if you have a light sleep.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 16, 2012

This backpackers guest house is filthy and rundown. It needs to be kept up and cleaned more frequently. Around the entire restaurant sits 20 or so rusty rental bikes. There is a an empty fish tank under the front table that was used for the skin eating fish at one time but is now empty and sitting in the middle of the restaurant...Disgusting!

Really a bad operation.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank tigerbox
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I stay there only 1 night. The layout of the GH is particularly intersting with romms upstairs and seats, tables on the ground floor.
Really friendly staff