“The Rickards - Great stay”
Review of Bell Hotel

Bell Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Charlbury
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Had a wonderful long weekend stay at this hotel. The Manageress could not do enough to ensure that our stay was memorable. Staff very helpful and friendly and both breakfast and evening meals were excellent. The room was clean and comfortable with a nice view. We would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends and hope to go back ourselves in the future.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 28, 2011

We LOVED our stay at The Bell Hotel. Friendly staff. Some of the best food we have had in England. The breakfasts were particularly good. The Sausages the locally made Pork & Leek Sausages, and the Smoked Salmon was utterly delicious. The bed was comfortable, and the room was lovely.

Charlbury itself is a lovely quiet village. It's perfect for exploring Blenheim Palace (just down the road) and a 30 min drive to Stratford upon Avon. We took the train into Oxford, the station is an easy 5 mins walk from the hotel, and only a 20min train trip into the middle of Oxford.

The television reception was poor, but we were so tired by the end of the day, that it didn't matter. We were disappointed that you couldn't get Wi-Fi in the rooms - you have to go to the bar area, but they have a very pleasant room next to the bar where you use your laptop.

Best of all lots of free easy parking.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Recently been here hoping it would get better, but infact the food is terrible. We had a special lunch menu for £7.95 and the soup came with one tiny piece of bread. Soup tasted ok. Other starter was king prawns and came with only three small small prawns on a bed of three small lettuce slices and Sweet chilli from a jar. My main was pasta with chicken and bacon and looked like chicken was chicken supream from a tin and tasted the same too!!!!! my mums came with 1 tiny piece of boccoli and 3 carrots and 2 pieces of lamb. The place was empty and Im not surprised. I said to mum they should make a real effort with lunch and people would recommend it and come in and then it would be booked up, but it was terrible and a total waste of £25 in total with only two drinks. I really wouldn't recommend it. I think they get things out a tin and jars and are really tight with their food which tasted gross anyway. very very very poor.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank wrenocat
thebell2, Owner at Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2011

I am writing in response to the above review, I think that the customer is confused regarding our offering of menu`s at Lunchtime

We offer a Full Menu including Stone Cooking, Main Menu, Ciabattas and Salads. In addition we offer a " Lunchtime Menu for the Older Person with a Smaller Appetite" This is clearly titled at the top of this seperately printed menu. As stated it is intended to suit a smaller appetite and the selling price and portions are presented to reflect that. Price: Main Course £6.95 Two Courses £7.95 or all three courses £8.95 which we feel offers good value for homecooked food.

We are extremly pleased to say that our Lunchtime following for this menu is great and the choice of three starters, five main courses & three sweets are always changed weekly, and are always well received.

The comments regarding the quality of the produce we feel is unjustified. Our chicken breasts are sourced from a local Butcher in Tewkesbury (5 Miles away), who we have used for many years; our team of Chefs are highly trained and, we as a team take great pride in using local fresh produce.

We have been at The Bell for nearly six years, five of which we have offered our Smaller Appetite Lunchtime Menu Monday to Friday.

The Bell continues to be a succesful business due to our dedicated & highly trained staff delivering high standard and consistent food and service.

Many thanks for taking the time in reading this response and appreciating what The Bell is all about.
Regards
Kerry & Steve Leighfield
Proprietors

Reviewed August 23, 2011

Spent 2 nights at The Bell, very reasonably priced and very well located for our weekend away exploring Malvern and the area.
Had dinner twice, was myself very happy with the vegetarian offers on the menu.
Also enjoyed the light breakfast, boost of energy to start the morning with.
Bar prices are a bit high, maybe this is because we are used to (our) small village prices...
But overall enjoyed immensely and will probably be back soon(ish) .
Also free WiFi but reception was not brilliant in our room...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2011

This is a really lovely hotel. Our room was absolutely beautiful and completely spotless, the manager was really friendly and helpful and the breakfast was great.
The only factor stopping it getting the full five stars was that the shower was not as powerful as it looked (although it was one of the biggest, nicest bathrooms I've ever seen in a hotel!)

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Spandauspanna
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for three nights from the 5th August, to attend a family function. We booked one of the newly refurbished 'executive rooms'.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by friendly staff, who gave us the keys for the room. We were staying in room 3. This is a massive room, at the front of the pub. It overlooks Church Street. It has been very tastefully refurbished, with a large bed, fireplace, separate seating area by the window a 42'' plasma tv, and a massive bathroom, with a huge bath, separate shower cubicle, sink and toilet. It was as nice as many 5 star hotels that I have stayed in.

Breakfast was a great selection, while I agree with previous reviewers that there was no menu, I personally don't think one is necessary, as pretty much they'll make whatever you want. I had the Full English, which consisted of whatever type of eggs I wanted, sausage, bacon, mushrooms and tomato. One morning I had the smoked salmon with scrambled eggs with was equally excellent. There was a wide range of cereals and yoghurts, as much toast and preserves as we could eat, what tasted like fresh orange juice and the usual hot drinks. There's also the option on hot days, such as this morning, to eat on the terrace outside. My partner, who is vegetarian, was also well catered for, with nothing appearing too much trouble. The service was impeccable on all three days

We dined on one evening, and sampled the Chicken Supreme, with Jersey Royals seasoned with mint from the hotels garden, and gardens peas with chorizo, as well as the vegetarian risotto, which had peas, radishes, and parmesan in it. They were delicious. Other options that seemed pretty popular were the fish pie, the locally butchered steaks, and fish and chips. A suggestion might be to have a couple of daily specials to vary the menu, especially a vegetarian one, as it might be a struggle to find an alternative to the risotto - that being said am confident with the service offered that this wouldn't be an issue. The bar also had an interesting and varied wine list, as well as a number of home made desserts, and cheese plate.

I've read the bad reviews with interest on here, and personally didn't recognize the place from the description some of the negative reviewers have given it.

Put into context, we've been coming to this hotel, once or twice a year for the past 5 years, and have never experienced any of the problems detailed on here, even during the period of the mixed reviews. I always found the previous manager helpful, approachable and friendly, and never experienced any bad service at all. The pub is under new management, I believe since the Spring. Lidia appears to be the General Manager, is very approachable, and ensures great service, little touches like 'Enjoy your Breakfast' make a difference. Her husband, I believe, is the chef, and had maintained, if not improved, what was already an excellent food offering.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Bell this year, and have made it a resolution to return more often - assuming we can get in of course, as if our trip is anything to go by, if they maintain the standards, its going to become even more popular.

Room Tip: Room 3 is one of the new refurbished rooms
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank dma1966
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My mother and I stayed at the Bell for 2 nights and had a lovely time. The room was in an annexe building which I wasn’t aware of when I booked, I was told on check in I was a little anxious but when we walked into the room we were pleasantly surprised. The room had recently been refurbished in lovely purples and greys, had modern fixtures and fittings and was light and airy. The room was very quiet, the beds were comfy and the shower worked well.
We ate both nights at the hotel and the food was wonderful. It was the same menu on both evenings, but we didn’t have a problem finding something to choose. All the staff were incredibly polite and friendly and couldn’t do enough for you.
There are only two recommendations I would make to the hotel and they are that although the full English breakfast was lovely, it would have been nice to have a menu on the table giving the choice of what you can have rather than having to ask the waitress. The second day I didn’t fancy a full English so asked if it would be possible for scrambled eggs on toast. Some fresh fruit salad would have been nice together with some cheese and ham for those not wanting to have the full English.
The other recommendation would be to have a guest information pack in the room, giving maybe a history of the building (if known) together with local attractions and places to eat and drink in the area.
I would not hesitate staying here again or recommending this hotel to others.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlbury
The Holt Hotel
Travelodge Burford Cotswolds
Cotswold Gateway Hotel
Cotswold Gateway Hotel
#5 of 8 in Burford

Been to Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!