“Excellent, Excellent, Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 3 Charlbury B&B and Inns
shropshire
“Excellent, Excellent, Excellent”
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Lovely B & B, Lovely restaurant and hosts. Good value on the lovely room, great food.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Belanddavide

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Norwich
Reviewed August 11, 2009

We had a very comfortable stay at the Bull recently. Breakfasts were good, and the room was cosy and clean, with a large bathroom, lots of hot water, and tea and coffee facilities. The owners were very pleasant. We did not eat in the restaurant/bar as it is closed on a Sunday and Monday evening, but the menu looked very good. There are other pubs in Charlbury, all serving great real ale, within a minute's walk of the Bull. The Bell Inn nearby serves very nice food.
The Bull is in an ideal location to visit Blenheim Palace and the surrounding area which is very pretty. We did a good 4 mile walk from the village one evening.
We enjoyed our visit - the only slight downside was that our room faced onto the street, and with the windows open in summer time, it was a little noisy.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Norfolk_one
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed for two nights while visiting my brother who lives in Milton-under Wychwood. We were extremely pleased with our double room and slept soundly. The attached bathroom (shower, no bath) was perfect for our needs. Staff (owner) was very pleasant and made herself available. Breakfast was typical English fare which my husband enjoyed to the fullest! Alas, I was a little on the sick side so I just had toast and tea.

If you do stay in Charlbury, ask for directions to Cornbury Park which is great for a walk. Here are my directions but double check - go straight down the street from the front of The Bull Inn and follow the street which eventually bends to the left, keep walking and you will eventually come to the opening for the park. You have to use the public path so make sure you don't go beyond the gates (this is private residential property).
Stopped and chatted with the vicar of the Anglican Church who was also very pleasant.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LPHRW
Amersham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2009

We stayed at The Bull Inn in Charlbury in October 2008 to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had a lovely time. Our room was on the main street overlooking the village. It was spacious, with a small but very comfortable bathroom. We were warm in spite of the fact that the weather was chilly. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The bar had a great atmosphere which added to our visit. The food in the restaurant was delicious, and again the atmosphere was lively. The owners are working hard to make a success of this venture and seemed to us to be willing to receive feedback in a very positive way. They are also unusual in accepting bookings for single Saturday nights. Many Cotswold B & Bs insist on a minimum two night weekend booking. Woodstock and Blenheim Palace are only 6 miles away, and hotels and B & Bs there cost double (at least) the rates at The Bull. We will have no hesitation in visiting again, and look forward to doing so.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Monkeyhumble
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2009

A pub with rooms in a picture perfect cotswold village with a warm welcome, log fires, cosy rooms with lovely touches (towelling dressing gowns, toiletries, tea/coffee facilities, roberts radio etc) at half the price others in our party paid at a 'posher' establishment in the vicinity.
Excellent breakfast.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Apuleius
Brighton
Reviewed November 4, 2008

We found The Bull to be very friendly, clean and comfortable. Our room was spacious and warm. We did not eat in the restaurant, however, the breakfast was well cooked & set us up for the day visiting the local area. Its location near to the station was ideal (approx 10 minute walk). The owners were very friendly and helpful. We would not hesitate to stay there again on a future visit to the area.

• Liked — Size of room, quiet location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Westy65
London
Reviewed September 11, 2008

After seeing the web-site of the Bull, I was sure it would be a charming place - I love and am proud of the English countyrside and the 'institution' of the B&B.
However, what greeted us was far from charming....!
The place itself was fine - a country pub with some rooms upstairs. Myself and a girl friend were staying, after a day time event nearby, as we did not want to drive back to London later that Saturday.
We returned to the pub in the evening, had a nice meal (service a little surly by the owner, but the waitresses were really sweet and we just wanted some nice food before getting some sleep), and retired to our room.
On walking in we were immediately confronted by the cold (it was the weekend where we all finally turned our heating on!) I went down to the bar to ask for a heater (the radiators were stone cold) - the owner was extremely rude. He said they had none and that he was NOT turning on the heating - I had not even asked him to! I was quite shocked by that and thought perhaps I needed to prove that the room was not warm enough for a comfortable night's sleep. So I asked him to come up and check - his colleague came up. She checked the room and went away saying she would try to find us a heater. She never returned! By this time it was sometime after 11.30pm. I found myself putting on all my clothes and a robe and having to nip back downstairs to ask what had happened (there were still people in the bar - it was quite embarrassing!) The owner wanted nothing to do with it, and I eventually established that there was a spare duvet somewhere, so his colleague brought one up (yes, there were no heaters, which fact they did not bother to come up earlier to tell us....)
Unfortunately, wearing clothes and sleeping under 2 duvets was very uncomfortable and was not keeping the cold away from our extremities! By 12.30am, the pub was closed up and we saw no other option but to drive back to London afterall. I left a note with my number on so they could call me and take payment for the meal.
They did not call.
I phoned on the Monday, was told in no uncertain terms that they had charged our credit card anyway. When I protested, the owner accused us of being (I quote) "precious", asked me if we could not deal with a little cold and that his was not a 5* hotel!! I have never experienced anything like it! The room cost over £80 so was not cheap.
I told him I would be posting a review on TripAdvisor at which point he threatened me! His intimidation, despite being very upsetting, has not deterred me.
As you might expect, I have taken this up with the Tourist Board, but in the meantime, will be deterring anyone else from giving this man their business.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
10 Thank Vix14London
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlbury
Bell Hotel
#1 of 8 in Burford
The Bull at Burford
The Bull at Burford
#3 of 8 in Burford

Been to The Bull Inn? Share your experiences!