“Please Try Harder!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Shoulder of Mutton

Shoulder of Mutton
Ranked #20 of 25 Restaurants in Wendover
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Please Try Harder!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

We have eaten here a couple of times over the months and years but this pub does not, unfortunately, live up to the expectations of the past.
Nowadays it's a place of contrasts. The Staff are warm and friendly, however the service is slow, and often mistakes are made, either when taking your order or bringing our the finished meals.
The portions, espeically the main courses are a good size and value for money in that respect, but, as has been metioned in other reviews, does live up to what has been described on the menu and you can be left feeling somewhat let down. The is realtively tasty, but will not blow you away either.
Hot meals generally seem to come out on cold plates, so your generous portion is often stone cold within a few minutes of being served. This not being fast food outlet I wished to enjoy the meal at my leisure and not have to wolf it down! This seems most prevelant with their Sunday Roasts. The staff were happy to take the plate back and were very apologetic, but it was merely stuck on a hotplate. Although this heated the plate and the food up again it also managed dry the food out. Regretably, we weren't offered a fresh plate of steaming hot fare.
I must say though the pub itself is large and the tables are well spaced, plus the garden at the back is huge and great in the summer, especially for families.
All the ingredients are there for great pub and restaurant. I'm sure with a little more focus on their efficiency, trying to get things right first time, and dedication to the finer details this could be great place once again!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank DGornall
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Shoulder of Mutton, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear DGornall, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your stay was not the experience you were expecting. Your comments have been duly noted and will be followed up with the Management Team ensuring no further dissapointment for our guests.
Many Thanks
Chef & Brewer

St Albans
“Food inedible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Ate here and ordered the "Gourmet" burger and Fish & Chips. Both meals burnt, the burger was missing the egg and field mushroom, the fish batter was as hard as a rock with bits flying off all over the table if you tried to cut into it. Everything tasted rancid as they clearly used old oil. Will never go anywhere near this place again.

4 Thank binkTravel
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Steer Clear!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I've visted this pub a fair few times over the years and found it in steady decline. On several occasions myself and my family have visited, every time we always ask the same question "why do we bother coming back". The service is mediocre at best, with the exception of a few of the staff. Management seem to be incapable of handling any situtation without ending up being rude to the customers and the food is appalling.

On several occasions we have returned because we have family in the area, we found the menu a good value for money when they have their two or three courses on. However, we came up for the game festival and ended up leaving because they had run out of both starters, and most of the main courses. It's ridiculous! The amount of times that we have been told that they have "run out" of food in a RESTAURANT, seems fairly obscene.

On the whole there is a serious lack of family atmosphere about the pub, and I feel I must mention that the staff behind the bar have atrocious language so I would not recommend having children in the bar area. I have been both shocked and disgusted on several occasions to hear the language and the topics of conversation between staff, and behind the bar.

I fear we have had one bad experience too many and have decided that we will no longer be bringing our custom to the Shoulder of Mutton. It's a shame because it is so well done up near to christmas. I would not recommend eating here.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank sarah_m04
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Shoulder of Mutton, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear sarah_m04,

Thank youfor taking the time to provide your review, the feedback you have provided has been passed to our management team to ensure that efforts are made to improve future services.

Regards
Chef & Brewer
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious Puddings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Whilst we were waiting for our food there was a power cut which I imagine is pretty devastating for a place serving and cooking food. I could see it was causing problems with the card machines not working and orders not going through to the kitchen. In the end there was only one working card machine in the whole place. I thought the staff coped well and having faced similar difficulties at my place of work I could sympathise. Well done to them for dealing with it.

The food was good - pudding was excellent; a bit like a mars bar turned into a torte. There was a bit of confusion over one of the orders but it was swiftly rectified. This is somewhere I would go again and recommend.

• Visited November 2012
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Promising menu - but doesn't deliver”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Went for dinner in the evening. The menu had some very nice dishes on it and I was pleasantly surprised as I was expecting a more basic pub grub menu.

The starters were not great. 2 of our party ordered the mushrooms, but they appeared to be served on toast which went all soggy from the juice of the mushrooms. I had the scallops which were ok. Had better, but ok.
I really fancied the game special of pheasant for mains - but guess what? didn't have any. This was 7.15pm! Now surely its not a big ask to remove items from the many specials boards scattered around, that are not available?
I went for the gineau fowl as a second choice which was fine, again not great just ok. One of our party ordered a steak. At no time was she asked how she wanted it cooked and it came out quite bloody. Luckily she doesnt mind it like this, but I feel she should have been asked how she wanted it cooked. I have always been asked anywhere else in the past. We were all surprised by this.
The service was also very slow, despite it not being very busy, so we decided to skip dersert as realistically we were going to have to factor in another half an hour wait at least.

One of our party works for the same pub chain so we got £40 off the whole meal including drinks. This softened the blow quite a bit, as had we had been paying the full whack of just under £100 (four people) I would have felt ripped off to be honest.

Don't look at the menu and expect proper cooked from sctratch food and you will be ok, as I'm afraid its clearly microwave /pre-packed.

• Visited November 2012