“Good food and service with a relaxed atmosphere,”
Review of Bel and the Dragon

Bel and the Dragon
Reserve with OpenTable
Bel and the Dragon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Cookham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: One of the oldest Coaching Inns in England, Bel & The Dragon Cookham sits on the village's picture postcard High Street, a short walk from the Thames Path and under a 30 minute drive from Central London.Following wholesale refurbishment, Bel & The Dragon combines 600 years of history with the best in modern British cuisine. The menu is created by award-winning Head Chef, Ronnie Kimbugwe, who previously spent 7 years with Gordon Ramsay and was most recently the Senior Sous Chef of Gordon Ramsay at Claridges. His passion for the finest seasonal fare, sourced from local & sustainable ingredients, is immediately obvious. It is also complemented by the inclusion of a rotisserie for the very best Roast Chicken, Creedy Carver Duck or the signature spit roasted Suckling Pig.And then there is the Josper Grill, which cooks at up to 600°C and is compared to an indoor barbeque- since it has transformed restaurant kitchens forever, with early converts already including Gordon Ramsay at the Savoy Grill and Heston Blumenthal at Dinner at the Mandarin Oriental.Wine lovers are warmly welcome to enjoy one of the best cellars in Berkshire, stocked with only the best vintages at extraordinary prices. The special Cellar list has been created to provide amazing value for money between £55- £95 per bottle, for some of the best wines ever produced.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Took my other half for a birthday lunch on a Saturday in January. It was quiet probably due to the snow. We had a good meal here and the service was friendly and relaxed. A little more expensive than your typical gasto pub, but the food was worth it.
It's a beautiful old pub to stop at for a drink if you are walking, with lovely real fires. Charming.
I will definitely be returning when I can afford it!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had Sunday lunch. Friendly with a pleasant atmosphere. The roast beef was the best I have ever had in a pub. The menu said there would be ' lots of greens' (not sure how they worded it) but there was a smallish portion of kale decorated with 2 thin beans and half a mange tout - I would have preferred more veg. Roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding were good. Our desert was a chocolate and hazelnut brownie with ice cream which was a bit more expensive than usual but of excellent quality. Everything was perfectly cooked - no raw vegetables - and of top quality. It was a little over the usual high street Sunday lunch price but Cookham is in an expensive area. We would certainly go again.
You need to book which we didn't but they managed to find us a small table.,

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Fantastic food fantastic service fantastic place. Go and you won't be disappointed. The wine menu is really reasonable and prices of all drinks and food are great value for the quality.

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Had delicious whitebait for starters, steak / fish of the day for main, and a shared creamy Eaton mess for dessert. Lovely Merlot to go with the meal. Mains were really lovely - steak was tender, and sea bass very fresh. Service friendly and attentive. Prices slightly higher, but not extraordinary, and you get value for money. All together a nice Friday evening out.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was taken to dinner for my birthday in December and I have to say it was one of the best meals I have had in a long time. I'm a real fish lover so I was delighted to see plenty of fish on the menu including, plaice, prawns, mussels and salmon. We shared the calamari to start and also the prawns. The presentation is unique and the taste excellent. I then had the plaice which was on the specials board. I had 4 pieces of this fish which was huge - it was absolutely delicious. My other half had the pork which was exceptional and my son had the chilli linguini with crab which I secretly wished I'd ordered!
For dessert I had the eton mess which was devine and my other half had the chocolate pudding which was very rich.
We sat in one of the booths which was lovely - the tables are painted with chalk paint so my son was entertained by drawing pictures all evening.
I would certainly recommend this restaurant, the service is excellent, the food tasty and presented well and the atmosphere warm and inviting. We shall certainly be visiting again...