“Great friendly staff”

Ranked #8 of 18 Restaurants in Cookham
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Was here on Easter Sunday & had the set menu nice soup starter then had the Sunday roast with was very nice then had the mango ice cream over all the food was great the staff where 1st class and as we turned up with out a booking we were seated very quickly thank of a lovely Easter meal the kings arms

1  Thank Bobbygreen2012

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Lovely restaurant with a log fire where we were sat. The staff were friendly and the food very nice. Prices were overall reasonable. Recently refurbished it offered a cosy feel. They do have a car park which is good as Cookham is a tourist village and has limited roadside parking, however it is easy to drive pass the entrance of car park so if you get to the junction you have driven passed it.

1  Thank Jacqueline H
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I had dinner with two other couples, although the bar seemed fairly busy (it was Saturday night) the restaurant was relaxed and the service very efficient and friendly. The menu was interesting and varied, a number of items had a skinny version (no chips!). Everyone enjoyed their meal which came out at about £25 per head - main , desert and drinks. Will certainly use again and would recommend. Fairly small but convenient car park through archway.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Celebrating my husband's birthday on 1 April, we booked this restaurant for five for lunch on the Bank Holiday Monday. Wonderful location - lots of little rooms, roaring fires. It's huge, but you don't have the feeling you are in a big restaurant. In their favour, the girl who served us had lovely people skills too.
But we arrived to be told the delivery hadn't arrived - so no chicken, no sea bass, no other fresh fish except battered haddock. And while we studied the menu, she returned to tell us she'd just sold the last burger.
Service was unbelievably slow. After over one and a half hours, we had eaten and been served only one course. Needless to say, they were busy .... and we didn't mind because we weren't in a rush.
Food - of course it's fairly pricey; it's Cookham.
I had sirloin steak. Cooked rare, it was fantastic with the black pepper sauce. So good, my son kept pinching mouthfuls. The home made chunky chips were also just perfect! And I forgave them the very sad looking garnish of watercress that looked like it had been prepared yesterday.
Son said his haddock & chips was also great. And the rest of the party ate the beef pie, which was a huge portion, with huge amounts of pastry. They enjoyed it; but didn't rave about it.

We decided to treat ourselves with the desserts. And the menu looked promising. I asked the waitress for advice on which to choose, and she selected the strawberry tart for me. Don't bother! Just awful. strawberry jam and a miniscule bit of very finely sliced fruit on a pre made pastry case (poss made by chef) slapped on top of a bit of cream. No effort made, poor value and nothing at all special.
I complained about my daughter's dessert! Cookies and ice cream - sounded gooey and gooooood! She got two scoops of vanilla ice cream and one cheap boring biscuit shoved in between the scoops. I complained - they removed this from our bill.
Grandma and birthday boy both chose creme brulee - which they both described as disappointing.

So - not our best meal. Not our worst. Would we eat there again? Possibly yes. Not on a Bank Holiday. We'd get dessert at home and we'd all eat the steak!

Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Had a football top on had a beer looked at menu was told to leave because of my chelsea shirt no footie fans aloud here , I was with my wife , will never come here again.... Dilly boy.....

1  Thank elga_stroud