“A true gem of a restaurant”
Review of The White Oak

The White Oak
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Oak is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Cookham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bridging the gap between country inn & local restaurant The White Oak is an independent and contemporary 'Gastro Pub' where the kitchen & service sets out to please. A L Carte & Set menus also decent value (£15/19 for two/three courses at lunch and dinner). The traditional Roast is served on Sundays alongside the A La Carte. There's also plenty of good drinking on the Corney & Barrow wine list (look for Delamotte Grand Cru Champagne, Archaval-Ferrer Malbec, & 'Psi' Tempanillo from Michael Sisseck), Local Ales & Cocktails in the Bar. The relaxed dining room's thick beams, cream chandeliers and widely spaced, bare tables match the food's smart, unfussy tone, while warm, engaging staff and a compact, broadly priced wine list also fit the bill.
Reviewed November 6, 2017

I was on a first date there so the restaurant HAD to impress! As you would expect with any decent place, you have to book at peak times, Saturday being one of them. You usually have two seating slots - 6.45 and 8.45pm but fear not, you have use of an impressive bar to keep your partner entertained while you wait...

GOOD: Tastefully decorated, one step higher than a Gastro Pub that has obviously seen one or two facelifts in recent years. Excellent ambient lighting - especially if you're on a date! :o) Service is attentive - they are not short of staff. Menu is extensive but not much for vegetarians. No doubt they are adaptive and will provide variations on the menu. Good range of traditional meat dishes including pork, beef, chicken and fish.

BAD: If your date likes spirits including gin, beware, you could be in for an expensive round. While the wines are reasonable, you can easily pay in excess of £13 per drink. Check the menu carefully. Portions are not large but sufficient.

PRICE: ££-£££ Taking the alcohol out of the equation, you can have two portions and have change from £50. Splash out on rounds of booze and we're over £100. But perhaps your date is worth twice that! :o)

PARKING: Plenty on site

Reviewed November 2, 2017 via mobile

It wasn't easy to get a table at The White Oak. The restaurant is usually busy and it is wise to plan in advance.
We eventually ended up there on a late Saturday afternoon for lunch, the food and the service were up to expectations. I am a vegetarian and the restaurant made an extra effort to serve up a delicious meal.
This restaurant welcomes pets. My doggy was delighted to join us on this outing.

Reviewed October 30, 2017

We visited for the first time for Sunday lunch to celebrate my sons 14th birthday.

We had the choice when we booked of 1230 or 1415, we opted for 1415. When we arrived we parked easily and received a warm welcome. Our table wasn't ready (no problem as well communicated and I didn't expect timings to be that precise) so we had a drink in the bar. Due to the birthday and slight delay these drinks were free.

After about 15 minutes were taken to our table.

Very good food and I would say reasonable value for money. The cauliflower cheese, roast potatoes and roast beef were the next we have ever had!

At least 5 different staff wished my son happy birthday which showed good internal communications.

We will be back, very impressed!

Reviewed October 28, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I were up in London a few weeks ago and my leg was in a boot as I had ruptured my Achilles tendon we drove around looking for a restaurant that was within easy walking distance of a place to park we couldn’t find any and were getting hungrier and hungrier. I remembered The white oak had a big carpark and I would not have to walk very far to the restaurant I called them and asked what time the kitchen closed and the reply was half past nine. looking at satnav it said we could not get there much before twenty to ten so I said to the person on the phone I don’t think we can get to you much before twenty to ten his response was don’t worry we won’t let you go hungry just turn up and so we did and were very well fed! We went back there for our wedding anniversary yesterday and had another superb meal they had run out of cod and I was offered a Hake special foolishly I failed to ask the price. It was delicious but £28 I think was over the top in terms of price but apart from that fantastic food and fantastic service from a young team who really seem to enjoy working there. That is the second good experience in the space of six weeks definitely we will go back again and I recommend to you to put it on your list of restaurants to visit if you haven’t already!

Reviewed October 24, 2017 via mobile

Brilliant food...fantastic service ....will be revisiting
Excellent recommend to any one visiting the area