I had been liaising with the hotel and the team since last December for our wedding which was held on Friday 13th! :) (we're not supersticious at all!). My background is events and I am still in the hospitality sector so I have high expectations purely for this reason alone. Despite a few niggles along the way, everything was fantastic. The hotel itself is located on the grounds of the Uni however, it's right at the end of the fields, lakes and surrounded by lush greenery. colchester town is a mere 15 minutes ride away of GBP6 in a cab. We checked into the Exclusive Hotels Suite in the main building and it was a beautiful room. Firslty, it's extremely spacious, modern yet very classic furnishings and a huge bathroom! 3 small issues in the bathrooms - 1 the TV didn't work, 2 there are no hooks to hang up clothes or towels and 3 the shower with it's 5 jets could do with a ledge to put the shampoo etc on as the only place is on the floor. Molton Brown toiletries, fantastic and plenty of towels (although the swans on the bed - questionable!). Room itself had plenty of storage, a full dining table and a couch. Bed was quite hot so not sure if summer tog duvets should be added for the warmer months?
We had dinner in the Brasserie the night before, given we were a large group and there was a corporate group in there too, service was considerably slow but hats off to Alice who kept it moving for us. Bar service was also a little slow, taking one drink order at a time and when it came to the bills, complete mess with bills all being posted on the wrong rooms. I think it would be a good idea to actually see the bill before it gets posted to the room and the bill is closed. Other than that, the food was execeptional with great presentation. Breakfasts in the same place were great, nice strong coffee, fresh bakery items, cheeses and cold cuts and nice a la carte dishes made to order. Again, small thing, for large tables ordering coffee, probably best to plop a huge full coffee pot on the table with a large jug of milk rather than 3 small ones as the coffee cups are huge and you only get 1 1/2 cups from the coffee pot. nothing major, just a small point.
As for the wedding. It was flawless. We had the drawing room booked and the set up was great. Then the afternoon and evening reception was in the function rooms. We brought a lot of the decoration ourselves from Thailand but the hotel were accommodating with our requests. Service and food was great here too and I think all the students enjoyed themselves as much as we did!!
So all in all, fantastic. Would I stay here if I visited the area? For sure. Would I recommend to stay here? Definately.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Re-opened in June 2012 after a £10 Million refurbishment, Wivenhoe House Hotel is a 17th Century country house, which is also home to the Edge Hotel School. Students at the school work alongside professionals, as they study for their degree in Hotel Management. There are 40 rooms, 16 in the main house and 24 in the more modern garden wing. The brasserie offers breakfast lunch and dinner daily, and afternoon tea is served in the drawing room daily. The panoramic views over the wooded parkland tot he University of Essex, are stunning. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Wivenhoe House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wivenhoe House Hotel Colchester
- Wivenhoe Hotel Colchester
- Wivenhoe House England