“Great Stay for our Wedding”
Review of Wivenhoe House

Wivenhoe House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wivenhoe
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I had been liaising with the hotel and the team since last December for our wedding which was held on Friday 13th! :) (we're not supersticious at all!). My background is events and I am still in the hospitality sector so I have high expectations purely for this reason alone. Despite a few niggles along the way, everything was fantastic. The hotel itself is located on the grounds of the Uni however, it's right at the end of the fields, lakes and surrounded by lush greenery. colchester town is a mere 15 minutes ride away of GBP6 in a cab. We checked into the Exclusive Hotels Suite in the main building and it was a beautiful room. Firslty, it's extremely spacious, modern yet very classic furnishings and a huge bathroom! 3 small issues in the bathrooms - 1 the TV didn't work, 2 there are no hooks to hang up clothes or towels and 3 the shower with it's 5 jets could do with a ledge to put the shampoo etc on as the only place is on the floor. Molton Brown toiletries, fantastic and plenty of towels (although the swans on the bed - questionable!). Room itself had plenty of storage, a full dining table and a couch. Bed was quite hot so not sure if summer tog duvets should be added for the warmer months?

We had dinner in the Brasserie the night before, given we were a large group and there was a corporate group in there too, service was considerably slow but hats off to Alice who kept it moving for us. Bar service was also a little slow, taking one drink order at a time and when it came to the bills, complete mess with bills all being posted on the wrong rooms. I think it would be a good idea to actually see the bill before it gets posted to the room and the bill is closed. Other than that, the food was execeptional with great presentation. Breakfasts in the same place were great, nice strong coffee, fresh bakery items, cheeses and cold cuts and nice a la carte dishes made to order. Again, small thing, for large tables ordering coffee, probably best to plop a huge full coffee pot on the table with a large jug of milk rather than 3 small ones as the coffee cups are huge and you only get 1 1/2 cups from the coffee pot. nothing major, just a small point.

As for the wedding. It was flawless. We had the drawing room booked and the set up was great. Then the afternoon and evening reception was in the function rooms. We brought a lot of the decoration ourselves from Thailand but the hotel were accommodating with our requests. Service and food was great here too and I think all the students enjoyed themselves as much as we did!!

So all in all, fantastic. Would I stay here if I visited the area? For sure. Would I recommend to stay here? Definately.

Room Tip: the older building rooms have a lot of character and style, each different.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jamester
Wivenhoe H, Reservations Coordinator at Wivenhoe House, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thank you for your lovely feedback on your special day, we are so pleased that it all went so well. I will make sure to send your review onto all of the staff, in the hotel and restaurant. I'm sure all the management staff will take your comments into count. If you find yourself back in the Colchester area, we would be so happy to welcome you back to Wivenhoe house.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Very attentive, friendly staff from the minute I checked in was made to feel very welcome. Great room, well furnished with all mod-cons, comfortable bed and good shower.
Dinner was ok, but expected something a little more special for the price.
The location is rather remote but only a short walk to the local town of Wivenhoe which has some excellent local pubs.
Overall a fabulous hotel which I will certainly stay at again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve B

Thank you for your kind review, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully we will welcome you back to Wivenhoe house in the near future.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was really looking forward to staying here and being closer than any other hotel to my family thought it would be where we regularly stayed. However it was a complete disappointment and let down. We were put in a room that was directly over a wedding and therefore were expected to listen to the music until 1am. We did complain and were moved however we had to change room type and the room had many niggley things wrong with it such as the toilet did not flush properly, you could not shut the bathroom door unless you locked it and the taps had so much air in the pipes the water soaked the whole bathroom. The breakfast was completely overpriced with the buffet having very poor choice and the cooked breakfast trying to look costly by being fancily laid out but was just a basic breakfast with the sausages & bacon not even being that good. Also the toast was always cold when we received it and the tea luke warm. All in all it was an extremely disappointing experience and if I compare to the my recent staying in the Holiday Inn a few miles down the road I would would expect this hotel to be the same price not double.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Heather H

I am so sorry that your experience at Wivenhoe House was unsatisfactory. All I can do is apologies for the issues that you had over your stay. Our staff take great pride in the work they do and adverse comments, while very rare, are always listened to and acted upon so I do hope that you will visit us again to see just how good a typical Wivenhoe House experience can be!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for my friends wedding, and from beginning to end this was a relaxing, well managed and beautiful location. Dont let the UNiversity ground location put you off, this is hotel has a rural countryside feel about it. My friend and I arrived on an overnight flightt, and thanks to some good pre-stay communications with Evangeline, the hotel were able to allocate a very early checkin for us - 1030am instead of their 3pm. The hotel managed to get as many of the wedding party together as they could which was great fun for us when we were getting ready and up for breakfast. The standard twin room was modern, clean, nicely decorated, warm and had a lovely balcony too - this was in the new garden wing, but the rooms in the main building were more unique and traditional, yet still modern - the wedding couple had the Exclusive Hotels Suites, where we all descended the afternoon on the day before the wedding, and was spacious enough to house 10 or more people socially. Molten Brown toiletries, always a plus too. The beds were comfy and we had a good nights sleep, the breakfasts are really worth getting up for though service can be a bit slow but everything is cooked from from the a la carte menu otherwise there is some buffet options - ask for fresh croissants if they run out, worth the 15mins. The wedding support given to my friends was brilliant and the staff seemed to be more than willing to help and do what was required. The food in the Brasserie restaurant really has some wow factor, and try the liver pate (more like a mousse) and ask Will to make you one of his Gin Garden cocktails - Will had never made a Manhattan before but taking exact instructins (no ice!) he made a perfect version, something that is very rare if not impossible to find. he is going to do well and I can envisage him being a world class mixologist in the not so distant future. The staff (sorry I cant remember your names!) who served us during the wedding we great and seemed to enjoy the wedding too. Impeccable service, great personalities and humour, confident and timely service. When walking the corridors of the hotel the staff will talk to you and smile and the perception in they are very happy and love what they are doing. The team at the hotel mostly consist of students/trainees who are studying and working towards a hospitality qualification, which only tells me the hotel management know who are the best with optimum potential when selecting who will work in their hotel. I was astounded to know that they were all training and in all areas of the hotel. I used to wokr in HR in jhotels in the UK, Maldives and Dubai and had I still been working in the industry I think I may have poached a few if not all the student for when they graduate. Particular mention goes to James who assisted us with our room service and demands on the day of the wedding - a great personality, a mature student who has returned to training to gain more qualifications to give himself a better future, he was great fun, understood his customers well and had a great sense of humour, an asset to the hotel. A great experience and if I am ever back in the area again I will definitely be staying here again. Room and breakfast rates were excellent value too - you get more than what you pay for. The only thing missing for me was a spa and indoor pool, but not sure I would have had time to use it.

Room Tip: Any rooms will be good, but for value for money book the standard rooms in teh garden wing, easy acc...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Paula H
Wivenhoe H, Reservatoins Coordinator at Wivenhoe House, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thank you for such a detailed review on your stay, it is so lovely to hear when a guest has enjoyed their stay so much. I will make sure to pass your comments onto all of our staff, especially Evangeline, Will and James. If you find yourself in the area, please do think of us at Wivenhoe House.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

A spur of the moment experience which more than met expectations. The staff were welcoming and helpful and the rooms well appointed (at least in the new wing extension) with a balcony overlooking the grounds and parkland. This truly was 4 plus stars. We were unfortunate to come down to breakfast at the same time as several other wedding party guests so it would be wrong to judge the service on the basis of unlucky timing. The staff tried their best and apologised for any delays, which is all you can ask for!
My only criticism, and I'm searching for something here, is that there should be a sign pointing the way to the hotel off the road to the university.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

I will make sure to pass your comments about more signage around Wivenhoe House onto our General Manager. Thank you for your lovely comments about your stay. Hopefully we will be welcome you back to Wivenhoe House in the near future.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

My daughter and son in law had there wedding reception here and it was a day to remember.
The staff were very welcoming and helpful. The grounds lovely for photographs.
The bedrooms well equipped and the beds very comfortable. We stayed in the new hotel with lovely views over the grounds and sports fields. The only down side of the room, there was no little window to open for ventilation during the night only a large patio door.
Breakfast the next morning was good although there did run out of sausages which I did feel was strange as they knew there would be a large number of people eating as the wedding guest had booked the hotel rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank teresa s

We are so pleased that you daughter and son in law's day went so well, it is always lovely to be a part of someone's special day. My apologies that the issue at breakfast tarnished your stay, I will make sure that the kitchen are aware of this and it doesn't happen again.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was our 2nd hotel stay of the week having stayed in another 4 star luxury hotel the night before. This was much more to our liking, traditional with a modern touch.

The room was exactly what you would expect with all modern additions whilst not taking away from the feel that you were in a wonderfully older building. We stayed in a suite on the top floor, where we had the best nights sleep in a long time, the bathroom was spot on luxurious.

We had dinner in the restaurant in the evening, which was great value for 3 courses. Incidentally I had a Chicken Caesar Salad which has to be the best I have ever had!

I would definitely come back here again and recommend it highly.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review, I will pass your kind words onto all of the staff. We looking forward to welcoming you back to Wivenhoe house in the future.
Sophie Barrett

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wivenhoe
Best Western The Rose And Crown Colchester
Blue Ivy Hotel
Blue Ivy Hotel
#6 of 23 in Colchester
Holiday Inn Express Colchester

Been to Wivenhoe House? Share your experiences!