I stayed at the hotel for my friends wedding, and from beginning to end this was a relaxing, well managed and beautiful location. Dont let the UNiversity ground location put you off, this is hotel has a rural countryside feel about it. My friend and I arrived on an overnight flightt, and thanks to some good pre-stay communications with Evangeline, the hotel were able to allocate a very early checkin for us - 1030am instead of their 3pm. The hotel managed to get as many of the wedding party together as they could which was great fun for us when we were getting ready and up for breakfast. The standard twin room was modern, clean, nicely decorated, warm and had a lovely balcony too - this was in the new garden wing, but the rooms in the main building were more unique and traditional, yet still modern - the wedding couple had the Exclusive Hotels Suites, where we all descended the afternoon on the day before the wedding, and was spacious enough to house 10 or more people socially. Molten Brown toiletries, always a plus too. The beds were comfy and we had a good nights sleep, the breakfasts are really worth getting up for though service can be a bit slow but everything is cooked from from the a la carte menu otherwise there is some buffet options - ask for fresh croissants if they run out, worth the 15mins. The wedding support given to my friends was brilliant and the staff seemed to be more than willing to help and do what was required. The food in the Brasserie restaurant really has some wow factor, and try the liver pate (more like a mousse) and ask Will to make you one of his Gin Garden cocktails - Will had never made a Manhattan before but taking exact instructins (no ice!) he made a perfect version, something that is very rare if not impossible to find. he is going to do well and I can envisage him being a world class mixologist in the not so distant future. The staff (sorry I cant remember your names!) who served us during the wedding we great and seemed to enjoy the wedding too. Impeccable service, great personalities and humour, confident and timely service. When walking the corridors of the hotel the staff will talk to you and smile and the perception in they are very happy and love what they are doing. The team at the hotel mostly consist of students/trainees who are studying and working towards a hospitality qualification, which only tells me the hotel management know who are the best with optimum potential when selecting who will work in their hotel. I was astounded to know that they were all training and in all areas of the hotel. I used to wokr in HR in jhotels in the UK, Maldives and Dubai and had I still been working in the industry I think I may have poached a few if not all the student for when they graduate. Particular mention goes to James who assisted us with our room service and demands on the day of the wedding - a great personality, a mature student who has returned to training to gain more qualifications to give himself a better future, he was great fun, understood his customers well and had a great sense of humour, an asset to the hotel. A great experience and if I am ever back in the area again I will definitely be staying here again. Room and breakfast rates were excellent value too - you get more than what you pay for. The only thing missing for me was a spa and indoor pool, but not sure I would have had time to use it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Re-opened in June 2012 after a £10 Million refurbishment, Wivenhoe House Hotel is a 17th Century country house, which is also home to the Edge Hotel School. Students at the school work alongside professionals, as they study for their degree in Hotel Management. There are 40 rooms, 16 in the main house and 24 in the more modern garden wing. The brasserie offers breakfast lunch and dinner daily, and afternoon tea is served in the drawing room daily. The panoramic views over the wooded parkland tot he University of Essex, are stunning. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Wivenhoe House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wivenhoe House Hotel Colchester
- Wivenhoe Hotel Colchester
- Wivenhoe House England