Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Review Highlights
This Is A Must

What a wonderful place. Could have stayed all day - definitely coming back (with others). Using... read more

Reviewed yesterday
Bob N
Lovely Museum

Visit with some friends; we were impressed by the positive and pleasant reception we received... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
ChrisB090
UK

All reviews train ride all ages chalk pit narrow gauge railway fire station nature trail gift aid special events open top bus industrial heritage sandwiches on display printing telephone electricity exhibits volunteers
Selected filters
Reviewed June 3, 2017

Had a great day out here! £12 adults £7 kids. Could easily spend four to five hours seeing everything. Great for kids as the some parts are interactive with buttons to press and things to make, brooms, pottery, woodwork. Buses and trains to ride on free or if you wish to you can make a small donation. The staff are mostly volunteers with a passion, very knowledgeable, chatty and helpful. The cafe was reasonably priced and food tasty, when you enter you get a ticket for a free drink, hot or cold. Overall very happy to recommend for all ages and interests.

Date of experience: June 2017
1  Thank tracey t
AmberleyMuseum, Public Relations Manager at Amberley Museum, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2017

Dear tracey t, Thank you for your review and I'm really pleased to hear you think it's good value for money. Visitors who Gift Aid their entry are offered a free drink as a thank you. It's lovely to hear you recognise our passionate volunteers and reasonably priced food. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2017

Visited just after Bank Holiday. It didn't meet expectations from website or reviews. The bus shown on website and in brochures wasn't on offer, or the steam train. There were very few volunteers, consequently the only craft being demonstrated was the printing, (which the children did enjoy). Many of the workshops were cordoned off or closed. The toilets in the restaurant were poor and not kept clean. The play area was dismal. I had expected a lot of hands on stuff but there wasn't much that we could find. There is a lack of signage e.g. where to catch trains. I enjoyed looking at the fire engines but the nature trail was disappointing, as was so much else.

The food served in the restaurant was hot and there was no waiting, which was good. But overall it was a poor experience.

3  Thank Justmesouth

Dear Justmesouth, I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment of your visit. We have a large collection of working buses, and different ones appear in our marketing materials, but every day we are open one will be running (barring mechanical breakdown which is possible but rare). Again, our train runs almost every day we are open. Steam days are advertised on our website.

The toilets in the restaurant should be kept clean and stocked. I hope this was brought to the attention of staff at the time, but I will mention it to the restaurant manager now. Regarding the play area, it is very much a small addition for children to let off some steam if needed, but I'm sorry you thought it was dismal.

Hands on activities are available in the communications hall, electricity hall, rail hall, Life and Lime exhibition, print shop and pottery so there should be plenty to do. I'm pleased to hear of your good experience with the restaurant food, but overall your whole visit should have been a good experience, so I'm sorry we let you down on this occasion.

Reviewed May 31, 2017

Spent five hours there with a 7 and 5 year old and neither said I am bored
We all enjoyed the bus and train ride

Date of experience: May 2017

Dear Susan W, thank you for your review and I'm pleased to hear you all enjoyed the train and buses. We certainly have a lot to keep children of all ages entertained so I'm not surprised they weren't bored! We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed May 29, 2017

Good day out here today. My daughter particularly enjoyed the print shop and greenwood area. Friendly man making wooden flowers and animals. We bought both!
HV Electricity demo was very good as was the guys demonstrating the machine making her hair stand on end! Train and bus rides good too. Toilets do need updating.
Have last visited quite a few years ago when the clay pipe man was there. Sad he is no longer with us. When our children were young this was one of their favourite parts of the museum.

Date of experience: May 2017

Hi Simon P, thanks for your review and I'm pleased to hear you and your daughter had a good day out.

Reviewed May 29, 2017 via mobile

What a gem of a find. We spent 5 hours here and could have stayed longer even with a 19 month old. Really interesting areas and exhibits which was made all the more interesting by the annual craft markets that were available. We feel that it was let down by the catering side of things. Places like this attract lots of visitors and the standard of the food should reflect other similar type venues across the country. Food hygiene should be improved and freshly made cake / scones should be served rather than store bought goods. However, that aside we will definitely return as we just loved the whole setup and experience. Train rides were great, bus rides on old buses were also good and left fed the electricity and BT exhibit with many hands on models.

Date of experience: May 2017
AmberleyMuseum, Public Relations Manager at Amberley Museum, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2017

Thank you for your review of the Museum. I'm glad to hear you had a good day. We scored 5/5 for food hygiene but I take your point about home made cakes rather than shop bought, and will take this up with the restaurant manager. Pleased to hear you enjoyed the train and bus rides, and the crafts.