Amberley Castle
Chequers Hotel(Pulborough)
The Swan Inn(Fittleworth)
$100
  • Breakfast included
Norfolk Arms Hotel(Arundel)(Great Value!)
$65
Roundabout Hotel(West Chiltington)
$110
The Swan Hotel(Arundel)(Great Value!)
$99
  • Breakfast included
$94
Comfort Inn Arundel(Arundel)(Great Value!)
$97
$93
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Angmering Manor(Angmering)
$110
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewswhirlpool bathtasting menufour poster bedgrounds are stunningcastle wallspre dinner drinksrelais and chateauxupgraded to a suitemichelin starwhite peacocksouth downsbirthday treatclassic roomsitting roomchristmas decorationsmodern bathroomcream tea
Reviewed October 8, 2013

i've stayed here an a number of ocassions and have slowly seen the castles demise under the new owner. He's completely forgotten this is a castle, not a georgian building in Bath. We stayed in a suite to celebrate our engagement which used to have to have two bathrooms, a stunning four poster, whirlpool bath, radio playing classical music when you walked in, a free bottle of local elderberry wine, cheeses and buiscuits. ALL GONE! replaced with a modern bed with weird carpet headboard, 1950's cheap wooden furniture, only one bathroom, the whirlool bath now a cheap modern standard bath and a cheap plastic chrome shower which wouldn't even stay in position. This is absolutely disgraceful. According to the very helpful staff who are still remaining from the original owners, the new owner doesn't like "medievil and castles" so why buy the place?!? The guy is obviously a one trick pony who thinks you can just furbish every hotel to look exactly the same as the royal bath (which is also a poor hotel). It doesn't stop there, the lovely drawing rooms have been ripped to pieces, the original solid oak paneling ripped down and anything historical or relating to the castle removed (armour etc), instead it's been replaced with wood panel style wallpaper and a weird, again 'bath style' set of prints?! Gutted...

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in any of the newly refurbished rooms, asked to stay in one which hasn't been touched yet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank mrokeycokey
Amber1103, General Manager at Amberley Castle, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear mrokeycokey
Thank you for your recent review, I have taken on board your comments and will pass these on. I do hope you will one day return to the castle.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed for one night as an anniversary treat, and were not disappointed. The hotel buildings have been carefully modernised without losing their charm, and the staff were very friendly and not at all stuffy. The evening meal was excellent (we chose the vegetarian tasting menu) and the grounds were beautifully manicured.
The picturesque village is an easy walk away, and is well worth a visit, but if you want a drink note that the local pub was closed when we were there. Arundel castle is a short drive away, and also worth a visit but beware the steep climbs if you are not nimble!
Truly memorable.

Room Tip: The rooms over the portcullis are allegedly haunted, but we didn't find anything spooky!

Dear Roy
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your anniversary with us, and for you kind comments about my staff and the castle. We look forward to welcoming you back to the castle in the near future.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Just got back from an amazing lunch here, the food was wonderful and the waiter was knowledgeable and friendly..... Can't wait to go back.
From the minute you arrive you are welcomed and seated in one of the 3 lounges, all very cosy.
We sat in the bay window with views out to the lawn. Although there were only a few people in the dinning room the ambience was still felt....
I am now about to book an overnight there as I want to experience the whole thing.

Many thanks Amberly Castle you made my birthday.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Amber1103, General Manager at Amberley Castle, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Sue
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed you lunch with us, and that you enjoyed you birthday, I look forward to welcoming you back to stay in the near future.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband booked this as a surprise for our wedding anniversary and we were both bowled over at the setting of this beautiful castle. As you drive up to entrance you know you are in a special place.

Our stay was for one night and hubby had us booked in for dinner in the restaurant. The maitre d' (french guy) was extremely professional and friendly. Out of the 3 waiters in the restaurant he fitted the image of the venue, however, the other two didn't really come up to scratch and one in particular (the non-spanish one) was sweating a lot and without being mean, he also had an odour to him which was quite off putting! (sorry).

The meal was lovely, the pre-starter soup was so creamy it was like velvet. My husband chose the red mullet with a stuffing of seafood mousse, unfortunately in the first mouthful there was shell in the mousse, but he overcame this and carried on to enjoy the rest of the meal, but it was off-putting and we would normally mention anything like this, but as it was a special occasion he chose to say nothing at the time, just so we could have a perfect evening. Both our starters, my main and his dessert were fault free however.

Prior to dinner we had a drink and canapes in one of the lounges, but it was so quiet, we felt we had to whisper, so my one comment/suggestion would be that the hotel consider having some some light Jazz or easy listening tunes in the background, throughout the lounges and restaurant, as it did feel a little staid at times and I think it would really help in that everyone won't feel as though they have to whisper, at dinner and breakfast!

We played pitch and putt in the hotel grounds and loved it, we also wandered down into the small village, a lovely easy stroll. Look out for the Lamas! You also have Arundel and the magnificent castle just a short drive away.

As two of the reviewers have mentioned on here, the hotel do not seem to be forthcoming in helping you celebrate occasions. My husband had mentioned it was our anniversary when booking but there was no sign of a gesture, and as a reviewer has also mentioned on here, we too had eaten at a Cote Restaurant the evening before (husband mentioned anniversary when booking) and we were served two glasses of very nice Rose Champagne! We have stayed in venues of Amberley's calibre and less in the past, and have had all sorts of nice things, unexpectedly too, from birthday cakes to chocolates to a glass of wine and it just makes you feel that bit special and taken care of. I really think given the amount spent here, a small gesture of something would just put the icing on the cake and make it all perfect!

Also must mention the young 'front of house' guy (not sure of his name, Kieran?), professional, welcoming, on the ball and knew his stuff. Go, you will love it!

Dear Shellage
Thank you for your review and the kind words about your stay. I have taken on board you comments and will pass them onto my team for discussion.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

My Fiancee and I stayed at Amberley Castle on an Angels Package..

The rooms in the Hotel are named after various Castles and our's was the Hurstmonceux
This room has a door which leads to an Anti Chamber with the Portculis and to a small chapel adjacent then further the battlements over the main gate.. all via a typical winding staircase.

The Restaurant is nothing less than supberb with beautifully presented and tasty dishes
Further enhanced by Pavel and his attentive service.

The grounds are beautiful and inhabited by White Peacocks

I think its easy to sum up this Hotel in two words... PURE EXCELLENCE..!

Room Tip: I Dont believe you can go wrong in any of the rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Amber1103, General Manager at Amberley Castle, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Ken
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the Herstmonceux room with its access onto the battlements; I have passed your comments onto Pawel and Chef. And look forward to welcoming you back in the future.