Review Highlights
Perfect evening away

My wife and I were seeking a break from the house and kids in between Covid lockdowns.... we... read more

Reviewed December 29, 2020
Philandchelle
via mobile
Fantastic

We stayed for my wife’s 40th birthday and had our 3 year old daughter with us. Staff could not have... read more

Reviewed December 21, 2020
drays20
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews afternoon tea sandwiches tasting menu dining room amuse bouche attentive service four poster bed for sunday lunch venison restaurant manager manor house birthday treat battlements rooms savouries arundel reception
Selected filters
Reviewed April 12, 2017

The building and location are just great - really impressive. Just a one nighter through Secret Escapes which included a taster menu. Food was great but not exceptional, we added extra course and also opted for wine flight (always a good move I think!). Disappointed by table we were allocated as I specifically said I was on a anniversary and requested a good table, but was given one next to an open window that I had to ask to be closed and also waiters working behind me (chair was 'bumped' a few times) - not so romantic. We had room in the Castle section rather than outside the walls, and I preferred this for the extra character. Not massive room but comfy bed and nice bathroom. Good breakfast! All in all a good time had and a well earned 4/5 but not enough for a 5.

Reviewed April 9, 2017

Visited the castle as a birthday treat and wow, amazing stay. We stayed in the bodium room, ground floor as my husband has difficulty with stairs, a newly refurbished bathroom did not disappoint, very clean and spectacular view from main castle. Breakfast was excellent, the staff could not have been more polite and helpful, our bed was ‘turned down‘ while we went out, fab touch. Highly recommended.

Reviewed April 3, 2017 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to the hotel, to celebrate a birthday, from first impressions of the entrance to the last of the breakfast eggs benedict. We made the most of a Secret Escapes offer, with a comfortable room (Bodiam) and the tasting menu. Some of the portions are indeed tiny but taste wonderful and we were pleased we’d spent extra on interestingly unfamiliar and exceptionally well matched wines, which made the most of the food. The environment was great: ancient walls, atmospheric restaurant, white peacock and primroses on the bank of the dry moat. Service was quick and friendly, although, surprisingly in a hotel of this quality, no help with our bags was offered. And a few small details were not quite up to the high standard of the rest, like the single biscuit left in an opened pack, a basin plug that wouldn't close and a weak overhead shower (though the handheld was stronger). Nothing though to spoil our overall strong recommendation, especially with a good deal.

Reviewed March 31, 2017

Great food in a fabulous setting, it's not cheap but it is a cut above your average dining experience.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed March 25, 2017 via mobile

A truly wonderful venue, amazing afternoon tea, very helpful and friendly staff. We went for a pre Mother's Day treat and felt thoroughly spoilt!

Date of experience: March 2017