“Fabulous food in an excellent hotel”

Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bosham
Towcester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food in an excellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

A quite excellent hotel in very pretty grounds only a 5 minute walk from Bosham Channel in Chichester Harbour.
Pefect in just about every way, from the friendly check-in, the lovely room and the quite excellent restaurant to the stunning gardens with its mill stream + rill and beautiful trees and plants.
Just perfect for a short break in this peaceful corner of England

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
shoreham-by-sea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2009

This is the most wonderful Hotel to stay at if you want to chill out and be spoilt. The room was great with a large bathroom with a shower and a bath deep enough and long enough to swim a length! There was a bowl with a couple of apples and a refreshment tray with all kinds of drinks. In the fridge the hotel provided fresh milk and two bottles of mineral water. The hotel's website does not do it justice. The lounge area is much bigger than it looks on-line. The two evenings we were there they had a very good pianist who added to the relaxing ambiance. The food was very good indeed and the service marvelous. All the staff are friendly and willing to help. This is a great place to stay either if you wish to explore the area or if like us you just need to re-charge your batteries. Many of the people staying had visited many times before and I feel sure that we will pay a return visit.

• Liked — relaxing ambiance
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
iow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2009

We decided to take our daughter to Chichester for Christmas shopping and I spent a couple of days looking through various hotels to stay as we wanted a weekend break.
I looked at the reviews which were mostly favourable but as a traveller for many years peoples expectations differ considerably.
I phoned and spoke to the Manager who was extremley helpful and humourous and from the general feel of our conversation I decided to book.
Yes I might agree slightly with one review that the car park does not lend it self well to what the Millstream actually offers but I think overall what the hotel offers outway this.
On arrival we were met with a glass of sherry and a very courteous young lady and shown to our rooms. Both rooms were well furnished and spotless. The bed was comfortable and very quiet surroundings
The resturant staff were excellant and offered extremley high customer service, music from the grand piano during dinner and the food was excellent.
We stayed 2 nights and from Breakfast to dinner on all occassions we could find no fault.
A few days after our return they took the trouble to post some things my daughter had left behind. It was the little touches that we found most appealing about the Millstream and its staff.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank kINGARTHIOW
BonideC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2008

I went because it was my fiftieth wedding anniversary. My husband died a few years ago, and I didn't want to stay at home, so in an odd way it was a celebration.
From the moment I arrived and drank my glass of sherry as I booked in, I felt I had done a good thing. The room was pretty, if very warm, and the bathroom fresh and new. I could get in and out of the bath easily, which for me is like magic. I lay there reading the guide I'd bought in the church, a fascinating place everyone should visit. Poor Harold, before he was king, went there on his way to Normandy, and there is a scene in the Bayeux tapestry, showing his visit and naming the village. I went along the shore line. The evening colours were stunning and I could hear the geese over the water,
Back to the hotel to find that they had bought me some rice cakes in the village, because I had forgotten the gluten-free bread I had said I would take.
Dinner was very good. The menu had a good variety with a range of prices, but I opted for the rich things. I had forgotten that I am really a one-course-only woman and had to leave half my marvellous fillet of beef. They were very concerned and checked later that I was well. .
Good choice of papers delivered early in the morning, and as another correspondent has mentioned, fresh milk in the fridge. I left next day feeling that I had done exactly the right thing, and I recommend it to anyone in need of a bit of cosy comfort..

• Liked — Charm, comfort and welcoming
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank BonideC
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2008

My husband and I had heard how good the food was at the Millstream Hotel, so we decided to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary there. We arrived in time for afternoon tea and loved the home-made fruitcake, shortbreads and scones with clotted cream. Later on, we went down to the bar, where we had a celebratory glass of Champagne, before going through to the restaurant for dinner. The menu was great for me, as I am a vegetarian and there was a varied selection for me to choose from (instead of the same old boring stuff that we veggies are usually offered!) I went for a double-baked blue cheese soufflé, followed by a char-grilled aubergine & broad bean risotto, both of which were absolutely delicious. My husband ordered seared scallops followed by a beef fillet (rare - I had to look the other way!) with a rich red wine sauce. Afterwards I had a peach tart tatin, while my husband indulged his passion for British cheese. The staff were all very friendly and the Head Waiter recommended a half bottle of Sancerre with our starters and a bottle of New Zealand Pinot Noir with our main courses. He was right; they were both spot on.
Our room was really nice and spotlessly clean and had an enormous four-poster bed. Being foodies, we appreciated having the free carton of fresh milk in the room fridge to make our morning cup of tea before we went downstairs for the full cooked breakfast. All in all we had a great stay and the food certainly lived up to our expectations; it wasn't the cheapest hotel around but well worth the money.

• Liked — The food
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

The online pictures do not do the hotel justice...it's much worse. The on line pics are great, they just don't represent what you get. I pulled into the back of the hotel and thought I made a wrong turn and pulled into the lot of a cheap, side of the road motel. The inside lobby looked about one notch above. The furnishings and quality of the build of the rooms is about a three star at best. Fortunately, it is pretty clean. The bathroom was carpeted, which tells you right there the sort of class we are talking about.

We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. Pretty mediocre. The prices were decent, but I would have rather went somewhere else.

The people, on the other hand, are first rate. Very polite, good natured and helpful. Top notch people in my book.

Frommer's raves about Bosham. It is a beautiful village, but it takes about 30' to walk the entire village and there was only one store open. I saw two, but only one was open (no joke). We made a trip to see Bosham. It is a side trip at best.

We also saw the Roman Palace. Incredible mosaics, but again, a short side trip.

The HMS Victory, Lord Nelson's ship at the battle of Trafalgar, at Portsmouth is a must see. Spectacular.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — low quality
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TwoHavlesofCoconuts
New Haw
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2008

We have just returned from a 7 night break at this lovely hotel. We discovered the hotel some years ago (a destination for cream teas!) and always promised ourselves a stay there - it did not disappoint.

Our rooms were well appointed and very clean.

We dined in the restaurant each evening and thoroughly enjoyed every meal. As well as the normal evening menu there is ‘an additional menu’ on a 3 day rotation which means that there was a good choice over the 7 day period. The quality of the wine list is excellent.

The staff are super - at all times friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

We would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Liked — Cleanliness and thoughtful touches
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bosham
Crouchers Hotel
#4 of 9 in Chichester
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,442 reviews
Premier Inn Chichester Hotel
Park House Hotel & Spa

Been to Millstream Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!